• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Havent played Portable 3rd. Just asking because I had hundreds of hours of MonHun on PSP and maybe this version feels too similar? Or that it contains less content etcetc

It's probably the Monster Hunter with the most content, and if you really enjoyed Freedom and Freedom Unite I'm sure you will enjoy this game.

Mupod

Question about Hunting Horns...

Whenever I use my Health Recovery (S) song, it either casts at (XS) or (S) strength. It seems to be random. Is there any pattern to this?

The XS stands for 'extra small'

Health restoration songs (and health flutes as far as I know) have a chance to only do half healing, you can lower the chance of that happening by having Maestro activated.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm assuming you mean Freedom Unite? Just compare the two:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHFU:_Monsters
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Monsters

You will miss out on lots of monsters they added since third gen. And not to mention the gameplay strides and fixes in hitboxes.

It's probably the Monster Hunter with the most content, and if you really enjoyed Freedom and Freedom Unite I'm sure you will enjoy this game.

Thanks :) I definitely enjoyed the PSP ones, but I havent read up on this game too much up till now so it was easier to just ask here. Thanks!

If im playing solo mode in the other town, do the monsters still have the 4 times the HP like in online? or are the HP of the monsters set back to normal?

Ridley327

If im playing solo mode in the other town, do the monsters still have the 4 times the HP like in online? or are the HP of the monsters set back to normal?

Anything in that mode is assuming that you're playing in multiplayer, so it'll have that health level. You gotta go to the Village if you want the single player health totals.

Anything in that mode is assuming that you're playing in multiplayer, so it'll have that health level. You gotta go to the Village if you want the single player health totals.

Even though theres a specific option for solo play in that town, the monsters STILL have the extra HP in that mode? Thats really dumb.

For any euro guys starting out, I opened another GAF room. Me and 1 more person right now.

Free play 3, lobby 7, GAF2, password: . (Quote for pass)

Ridley327

Even though theres a specific option for solo play in that town, the monsters STILL have the extra HP in that mode? Thats really dumb.

Why wouldn't you just play the normal solo quests in the Village? Solo play in the Marina is for people who think that the Village stuff is way too easy. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm jumping online now, if anyone wants to do some * and ** missions.

You still have the better drop rates, so it makes sense.

TheExodu5

Banned
The XS stands for 'extra small'

Health restoration songs (and health flutes as far as I know) have a chance to only do half healing, you can lower the chance of that happening by having Maestro activated.

Thanks. Sounds like a good reason to get the Qurupeco set.
I'm jumping online now, if anyone wants to do some * and ** missions.
I'm up for it! Just HR1 at the moment though.

Where at?

Sweet lord, I'm way too much into this. Got a complete barroth armour today (attack +, defense +, block +1, what up?!) and some nice lances for starters. Can't wait to delve into HR 2 online quests next. Will do offline whenever I have some time in between, multiplayer is definitely going to be my focus, I'm glad I decided for Wii U and MH instead of the 3DS version.

It's really annoying though how when the host leaves everyone automatically disconnects. Once or twice just the host left, and the other 3 were kicked out. Not cool.

C-Jo

Is anyone else experiencing horrible lag and connection issues with local co-op? This is the 2nd day in the row where we had 4 people physically in the same room, lagging all over the place and disconnecting.

This is my first real experience with 3DS local play, but I thought it was pretty weird.

Raide

How/when are days advanced? Is there any issue with skipping days if I want to get to something?

Usually if you do a quest and finish it, a day has gone by. Also if you just go out hunting in the field, you usually come back at night if you spend enough time out there.

Would love to see a real Day/Night cycle in future MH games.

Mupod

Looking forward to my Wii U no longer being a useless hunk of plastic, now that I've got the transfer app. I'll be starting out with the HR1 stuff once I get home, but I might finish off my Barioth HH first. I do still need 3 strange beaks as well as a bunch of fertile mud so I could help out someone who needs peco/barroth.

Raide

Poor Barroth, they really nerfed him :'(

After watching the latest Teamwork Cast, it does seem like the early monsters have been nerfed a bit. Maybe that is good for new players since they will actually progress enough to get some better gear if you keep fighting on. Most of the hardcore players will be aiming for G-Rank anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
Looking forward to my Wii U no longer being a useless hunk of plastic, now that I've got the transfer app. I'll be starting out with the HR1 stuff once I get home, but I might finish off my Barioth HH first. I do still need 3 strange beaks as well as a bunch of fertile mud so I could help out someone who needs peco/barroth.

I just got the Barroth HH...seems to be one of the best early horns.

DaBoss

Looks like I found my weapon for Duramboros. Long Sword with an Ice element (Rimeblade). Didn't get wrecked whatsoever.

Total noob question - sorry I'm just starting out here:

When I talk to the Chief's son (I think?) after I've been out hunting, he gives me that little hunting report and I am prompted to do something to convert those kills into resources. Is there a reason not to do this? Then, isn't there something separate that converts items into resources? Do I always want to do that, or is it better to hold onto them sometimes (for crafting, selling, etc)?

Ridley327

When I talk to the Chief's son (I think?) after I've been out hunting, he gives me that little hunting report and I am prompted to do something to convert those kills into resources. Is there a reason not to do this? Then, isn't there something separate that converts items into resources? Do I always want to do that, or is it better to hold onto them sometimes (for crafting, selling, etc)?

There's never a reason not to convert kills to resources, as those resources that you can get are valuable, especially the goods that you can trade with the Argosy Captain when he's in town.

Bisonian

I'm starting out just like you, but here's what I've found so far. The hunting info is just you checking in for your kills. You should always do this, it's free resource points. You also get items based on your kills as well. For example, Aphoroths will generally get you a Dung reward. I killed a Great Jaggi once in the open zone and got a rare commodity I could trade to the boat captain for Combo Book 4.

When you trade an ITEM for resources, you lose those items. There seem to be items that are solely in the game to trade in, and there are items that you definitely don't want to lose. For example, trading in Malachite ore early on in the game seems to be a poor idea.

If you connect to the servers under DLC, you will get a download that gives you a free 5000 resource points. If you do that, you should be very hard pressed to feel like you need to give any items away for RP.

Mr. Fix

I just did the timer part for the charm table, and I still have to confirm that I'm on the right one. Is it alright if I change the date, time and connect to wifi once I've saved the game (assuming that I am on the right table)?

Boogiepop

Took down Great Wroggi and Rathian. Rathian in particular reminded me of the dangers of poison.

And then I went on and decided to take down Lagi. And holy crap was it a close call. For one thing I forgot just how dangerous his berserk mode can be underwater. More importantly, though, I forgot to restock up my whetstones before fighting him (and I'm using Dual Blades). After an intense battle of me carting twice and then fighting him for probably about half an hour, he slinks back to his cave, and I realize I no longer have any whetstones. My blade goes down to yellow, and then becomes dull, and I'm thinking to myself "crap, crap, crap, CRAP!" At this point the only way I can damage him seems to be to hit his (broken) chest with demon mode blades. Just when it seems about time for my blades to degrade further, he FINALLY goes down, and I'm just straight up rejoicing.

Man, this kind of stuff is what makes this game so damn awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom