• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! ;)

I really like the bow in theory, but it ain't fun to use. Well except the barrage thing but that needs timing skills. No idea what weapon I should go, swords seem boring ;)

Bow interests me.
I like the bow in a gane cause...its a bow.
In MH though its just another weapon, arguably more complex and not with a huge removal of risk.

Its in keeping with the gameplay; whereas other games its a bit easy but skilled. MH is just as hard and needs the same level of skill.

Bought a Great Sword by accident; like it after hating at first. Still not great with it but starting to get the rhythm.

derFeef

Bow interests me.
I like the bow in a gane cause...its a bow.
In MH though its just another weapon, arguably more complex and not with a huge removal of risk.

Its in keeping with the gameplay; whereas other games its a bit easy but skilled. MH is just as hard and needs the same level of skill.

Bought a Great Sword by accident; like it after hating at first. Still not great with it but starting to get the rhythm.

If the targeting mode would be controlled with the left stick then it would be no problem, but it's a bit weird that you need to let go of the stick to press the attack button ... or have weird fingers I guess.

The armory clerk says that longswords are the best weapon if you want finesse, but... I bought a katana and it feels just as clunky as the greatsword. What's the best route to take if I feel like the best defense is not getting hit? I like to zip around and deal fast damage.

If the targeting mode would be controlled with the left stick then it would be no problem, but it's a bit weird that you need to let go of the stick to press the attack button ... or have weird fingers I guess.

Am on the 3DS so its on the d-pad. Sounds like the Wii U must have some 'hangovers'.

Raide

The armory clerk says that longswords are the best weapon if you want finesse, but... I bought a katana and it feels just as clunky as the greatsword. What's the best route to take if I feel like the best defense is not getting hit? I like to zip around and deal fast damage.

Dual Swords may suit your style.

DaBoss

you guys think you're all cool with your online

whatever man

i'm having so much more fun playing alone

i don't even care

don't even care

my heart is full of sadness

On the plus side, I did the big dinosaur today, that was pretty cool.

I know that feel man.

Gonna face Diablos now. Gotta use that lance.

monster_hunter___moves_like_jaggi_by_cyevidal10-d4mn8ag.gif

I wanna play online so bad. ughhhhhhhhhh.
At least the the Transfer program is out now. Only now to wait for work to be over.

Apenheul

Oh man, talk about bad luck. Lagia was hurting so I planted a trap, selected tranq bombs, waited for Lagia to walk into the trap and got rammed from behind by a Ludroth and Lagia broke free. Fortunately I had another trap prepared, killed the Ludroth first, planted the second trap, selected tranqs and waited for Lagia to move into it, got rammed by another Ludroth just before I could throw my second tranq bomb. I'm all out of traps, so mission failed :/

Doorman

The "finesse" in the longsword comes in the fact that you usually have a lot of options at your disposal in terms of attacks. You almost always have the option to combo into a fade slash to improve your positioning, you can combo in and out of its spirit slashes, and it's a weapon built around maintaining a consistent offense.

Similar in nature to that but a bit quicker would be the dual swords, who have that similar thinking of staying on the attack, while managing your stamina through Demon Mode. If you want the mobility but would be willing to trade some pure offense in exchange for more utility, then you have the Sword and Shield, which can block and use items while the weapon is drawn. Honestly beyond that, the next "fastest" weapon would probably be something like the bow, longsword, or hunting horn, though by then you're getting more into what I would consider the "mid-speed" sort of weapons. Don't necessarily shy away from the other slower weapons just because the Great sword doesn't click with you, by the way. Most all of the weapons handle differently enough to be worth a try.

Ah, so confused. I'm doing the three-star Qurupeco capture quest. I got it down to limping and set a trap, but it flew away immediately. My paintball had also just worn off, so I didn't know where it went to and now, after checking every area except the water-only sections, I can't find it.

Do animals ever get injured and just not return? Also, if you miss with a trap(a Great Jaggi set it off when I came back through the area on my search) are you just screwed?

Codeblue

Ah, so confused. I'm doing the three-star Qurupeco capture quest. I got it down to limping and set a trap, but it flew away immediately. My paintball had also just worn off, so I didn't know where it went to and now, after checking every area except the water-only sections, I can't find it.

Do animals ever get injured and just not return? Also, if you miss with a trap(a Great Jaggi set it off when I came back through the area on my search) are you just screwed?

They can enter and leave areas when they want so it might just be flying to different areas before you ever catch up.

If you don't bring extra traps or the materials to make one, you're boned. Keep an extra trap on you when you're doing capture quests. In the original Tri you could get an extra trap by completing subquests, but this game doesn't appear to have those.

Ridley327

Qurupeco can go to the shores of 10 in D. Island to eat fish.

You might have screwed yourself out of it this time, but here's some really useful advice for future attempts; monsters have specific points on the maps where they will escape to, and they will always go to these spots when they're limping. Use that to your advantage for trap setting.

If you fudge your trap in a mission, you're screwed unless you have another one. They're unlikely to come back and if they do, the trap will be gone by then. They dont stick around forever.
But it can happens, so you really have to make sure it's not gonna go anywhere.

They can enter and leave areas when they want so it might just be flying to different areas before you ever catch up.

If you don't bring extra traps or the materials to make one, you're boned. Keep an extra trap on you when you're doing capture quests. In the original Tri you could get an extra trap by completing subquests, but this game doesn't appear to have those.

Doh, k, thanks. Well I'm going to keep looking for him so I can get something out of this.

Jawmuncher

Glad the save transfer came out today.
Just got myself a bit of the great jaggi armor set. Now I'm starting to see the appeal in the game and am really starting to enjoy.
Play some SP then hoping into MP for a bit is a lot of fun.

Raide

They always go somewhere, either to Sleep or to Eat. Unless you happen to be super fast and in the right place, as soon as it starts limping you try and capture it where is lands to eat/sleep. Peco likes fish. :D

Sometimes doing the secondary part of the quest will add more supplies such as another trap.

For those that get overwhelmed the best advice is this...

Take it slow and grind a bit. If you can successfully down a particular monster, grind them a bit to make sure you have their armor and weapon. Not only does it cement your hunter prowess over that lowly beast but it also gets you ready for the next challenge. There are no penalties for collecting and making all kinds of weapons and armor.

Collecting Herbs, honey and everything else will help you in the long run! Don't forget in Solo mode, the farm is super useful for resource collecting.

Ok, so say I want to make a set of Great Jaggi armor, how do I get back to the desert in solo mode? Redo the Great Jaggi quest?

Raide

Ok, so say I want to make a set of Great Jaggi armor, how do I get back to the desert in solo mode? Redo the Great Jaggi quest?

Can do. The Capture version always gives more drops, so you may want to repeat those a few times. Also learning about each monster's breaks is important. Breaking the frill is good for Jaggi, so bash him in the face. :p

You can also check with Junior and he will give you the Monster Forecast which will tell you what monsters appear on set days. Also helpful for gathering materials on the abundant days. Also, when you encounter a monster it gets added to the Forecast. So expect harder monsters to ruin your fun as you progress. :D This is really only when you go outside of the village when not in a quest.

Palmer_v1

Sounds like S&S, or Dual Sword might be better for you. They both involve getting in a bunch of quick hits before evading whatever attack is coming. I'd also consider the Hammer, as the entire thing revolves around dodging the enemy then quickly striking with a charged attacked before rolling away again. It's similar to the GS in that you're waiting for opportunities to swing, but the actual attacking phase is faster.

ace3skoot

so i finish my 9 hour shift, which was freezing cold and the door to our shop has a broken latch so the wind kept blowing it open, the freezers broke so i had shift a fuck ton of ice cream before it all melted, and mop up the pooling water on the floor, and my boss was cranky...but none of this mattered because i was returning to gaming bliss... my brand 3DS XL and MH should have be waiting for me... but it hasn't arrived :/ why the crap do i pay for amazon prime in the first place! grrrrrrrawwww!!!

*hulks out, bash down an orphanage*

Doorman

so i finish my 9 hour shift, which was freezing cold and the door to our shop has a broken latch so the wind kept blowing it open, the freezers broke so i had shift a fuck ton of ice cream before it all melted, and mop up the pooling water on the floor, and my boss was cranky...but none of this mattered because i was returning to gaming bliss... my brand 3DS XL and MH should have be waiting for me... but it hasn't arrived :/ why the crap do i pay for amazon prime in the first place! grrrrrrrawwww!!!

*hulks out, bash down an orphanage*

Welcome to the meta-game, just consider this as a part of your training. Just as it requires patience to wait for the right moment to strike against a monster, so too must you be patient in waiting for the game itself to arrive.

The "finesse" in the longsword comes in the fact that you usually have a lot of options at your disposal in terms of attacks. You almost always have the option to combo into a fade slash to improve your positioning, you can combo in and out of its spirit slashes, and it's a weapon built around maintaining a consistent offense.

Similar in nature to that but a bit quicker would be the dual swords, who have that similar thinking of staying on the attack, while managing your stamina through Demon Mode. If you want the mobility but would be willing to trade some pure offense in exchange for more utility, then you have the Sword and Shield, which can block and use items while the weapon is drawn. Honestly beyond that, the next "fastest" weapon would probably be something like the bow, longsword, or hunting horn, though by then you're getting more into what I would consider the "mid-speed" sort of weapons. Don't necessarily shy away from the other slower weapons just because the Great sword doesn't click with you, by the way. Most all of the weapons handle differently enough to be worth a try.

Just out of interest, do dual swords negate the need for whetstones? I notice that the sharpening animation has the character rub the swords together.

This is made up by the fact that you get an increased chance of rarer drops as a result, especially if you've broken/cut the right body parts.

Ah, okay.

So, if I want to bring an additional trap along with it sounds like I need a Thunderbug and trap tool. Where do I get Thunderbugs?

kidko

What's the easiest way to get Monsterbone L? I thought Barroth had them, but I've killed him 4 times now and haven't gotten any! I need to make his boots!

Kinda wondering this myself as I can't find them in the Brady guide apart from pathetic 10% chance drops from the fishing boats on Distant Isle and No Mans Land. Considering how many you need for crafting, this is worrisome.

Volcynika

Friend helped me and introduced me to stuff in the game, and we even hunted a few big monsters. I love having the voice chat available, made it easy for them to explain stuff and when I had questions.

Why didn't I play this series before? I like it a ton :D

Abandond

Friend helped me and introduced me to stuff in the game, and we even hunted a few big monsters. I love having the voice chat available, made it easy for them to explain stuff and when I had questions.

Why didn't I play this series before? I like it a ton :D

I know, right? It's awesome. I wish I actually gave it a shot on the PSP. I think I'm going to pick MHFU soon and then play online via the PS3 with a friend of mine. Should be interesting.

Qurupeco can go to the shores of 10 in D. Island to eat fish.

Exhausted from work, and this sounds like an angry epithet to me. "Qurupeco can go to the shores of 10 in D. Island AND EAT FISH!"

Also, love this game. Have it for 3DS and a little bit bummed I can't bring it online. I had a very short online experience with MH3 on the Wii.

bon

I'm still on the fence on getting this game. The demo seemed interesting, but I keep hearing Monster Hunter is super grindy...

Raide

I'm still on the fence on getting this game. The demo seemed interesting, but I keep hearing Monster Hunter is super grindy...

End game? Can be if you want all the stuff but the rest of the game is not that grindy, especially not to Korean MMO levels. :D Also play online and all that stuff flows towards you anyway.

It's as grindy as you want it to be. For me, it really gets my Animal Crossing urges going so I like to optimize and prepare, but it's not completely necessary.

If you liked the demo, get the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom