• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nisa65

"Hey, remember that ruby you were looking for? Well I just got 3 of them in one quest!"

*rubs it in with a Miiverse screenshot*

Just like this? :D

P1010665_zps1c796baf.jpg

Heavenlies are actually much easier to come by in Tri G/Ultimate though I've found.

Despite not having subquests to do for extra loot, does the game give you about the same amount of loot you would've gotten with them anyway?

Or are we getting paid less for about the same amount of work as in Tri?

Quadratic

I'm leaving for PAX east on the 19th. Will I be able to download the game on the eShop before I leave? I'm coming from Canada. If I can't, will I be able to buy it down in the states using my hotel's free WIFI since I have a Canadian account?

I'm leaving for PAX east on the 19th. Will I be able to download the game on the eShop before I leave? I'm coming from Canada. If I can't, will I be able to buy it down in the states using my hotel's free WIFI since I have a Canadian account?

Some people are saying since this game is a day one download on the eShop, it means that you should be able to download at 9:00PM Pacific Time on Monday, March 18th.

Quadratic

That's awesome to hear if it's true. I did some digging around and there are some NintendoZone's near where I'm staying. My flight is only 1.5 hours but having MonHun to play while waiting in lines at PAX will be amazing.

That's awesome to hear if it's true. I did some digging around and there are some NintendoZone's near where I'm staying. My flight is only 1.5 hours but having MonHun to play while waiting in lines at PAX will be amazing.

How much more awesome would it be if someone happens to also have MH3U on 3DS there while you're waiting? Party hunts!

BearPawB

Banned
how is this different than Tri?

I got through the tutorials in Tri. Then couldn't figure out the first real mission. Gave up and never touched it again.

Doombear

I got through the tutorials in Tri. Then couldn't figure out the first real mission. Gave up and never touched it again.

No different then. =P

More monsters, more weapons, more stuff! It is also prettier. There used to be a handy list with the differences around... anyone have that link?

You know what? I think Challenger +2 is going to be the best skill in the game. When a large monster is in the same area as you is enraged, you get Attack up Large and Critical Eye +2 (20% critical rate). The skill also stacks with other skills, such as Exploiter (+50% affinity if you hit a monster's weak point), Attack up Large, etc. Can't wait to make a set with a pure offensive-minded skillset. Should be fun >=)

Eusis

EDIT: HAHA! I have enough room on my HDD (still just the 32GB) for the eShop version. Aw yiss. Mofuggin. eShop.
I have a 2 TB, but I don't really feel like using that until it's absolutely necessary. Until then I could use it for other stuff rather than keeping it stuck on the Wii U.

Doombear

You know what? I think Challenger +2 is going to be the best skill in the game. When a large monster is in the same area as you is enraged, you get Attack up Large and Critical Eye +2 (20% critical rate). The skill also stacks with other skills, such as Exploiter (+50% affinity if you hit a monster's weak point), Attack up Large, etc. Can't wait to make a set with a pure offensive-minded skillset. Should be fun >=)

Hello Narga sonic bomb spam...

Doorman

What exactly did you have trouble figuring out? The tutorial quests in Tri did a pretty good job of going over most of the basics you would've needed.

Meesh

Excellent OP, I've been waiting for this thread.*giggles*

My NNID - Meesher

I accept all requests, friendly play, not an elitist but aim to win :)

I'm actually considering going straight online this time and might avoid solo play for awhile.

Proven

I have to wonder, why did the make a skill like Challenger? Unless it's always tied to harsh penalties, I can't see why it's anything but a plus for every hunter to have. Maybe it only works if you're the only one engaged with a monster, as in, single player only?

BearPawB

Banned
What exactly did you have trouble figuring out? The tutorial quests in Tri did a pretty good job of going over most of the basics you would've needed.

I don't even remember at this point.
Lots of dinosaurs and me dying very quickly. Not being able to locate where some plants were.
Felt like i was "hunting" with no real direction.

Proven

Lots of dinosaurs and me dying very quickly. Not being able to locate where some plants were.

Hmm, maybe we should link him to someone like SocialDissonance.

Remfin

So there Day 1. Although I can already tell I'm going to miss the Wiimote option a ton from what little I played of the demo.

Great to see all the old faces coming back. Added my NNID to the list and anyone should feel free to add me :p

Nisa65

Despite not having subquests to do for extra loot, does the game give you about the same amount of loot you would've gotten with them anyway?

I haven't played Tri in a while but I'm pretty sure the amount of loot is pretty much the same. Of course there's a skill for more loot if you feel you're not getting as much as you'd like.

I reached HR 46 last night after just shy of 190 hours played. I dread to think how long the guys I see with HR300+ have been playing.

deviljho

The early parts do explain what you need to do. But they don't hold your hand as exploration is is encouraged early on in the game. Learning how to explore and find shit is important since the tutorial won't slap you in the face and point out shit in later areas.

Subquests are out? Farming for rare breaks like Gobul Lantern+ and Stout Horn just got more tedious. :/

remist

I know they added Hunting Horn, Bow, Gunlance, and Dual Sword. but are there new weapon trees for the old weapons? If so around how many new fully upgraded weapons per weapon type?

Can I play with the old classic controller, and use the tablet for inventory and voice chat at the same time?

I can't decide if I want to spend $360 just for monster hunter.

kidko

Looking through my Monster Hunter Illustrations book is a sweet, sweet way to pass the time in anticipation. Since Tri was my intro to MH, it's super awesome to see the monsters that weren't in Tri that are making a comeback, like Nargacuga... wow, scared and excited to face this mean lookin kitty-bat!

hGe37Ng.png

Mupod

I have to wonder, why did the make a skill like Challenger? Unless it's always tied to harsh penalties, I can't see why it's anything but a plus for every hunter to have. Maybe it only works if you're the only one engaged with a monster, as in, single player only?

It's certainly not bad but I don't see what's overpowered about it. Most monsters get harder to hit in rage mode, and almost nothing is enraged all the time. There's some monsters it would be great against - Jho for example, who takes more damage in rage. Or that special event Brachydios who is always enraged.

Attack up is extremely easy to get from charms and gems, critical eye almost as easy. And they'd be active all the time, not just when the monster's pissed and jumping around.

Actually on this subject how does attack up work in this iteration? I think they messed around with it in Portable 3rd, but it was kinda bad in MHFU because it didn't scale well into g-rank. Critical Eye was always decent but never amazing and there's better offensive skills now like Exploiter. I think people see 'critical' and freak out not realizing it's just a chance to do 1.25x damage.

Proven

So there Day 1. Although I can already tell I'm going to miss the Wiimote option a ton from what little I played of the demo.

Great to see all the old faces coming back. Added my NNID to the list and anyone should feel free to add me :p

I'm going to miss Wiimote+Nunchuck play too...

I know they added Hunting Horn, Bow, Gunlance, and Dual Sword. but are there new weapon trees for the old weapons? If so around how many new fully upgraded weapons per weapon type?

Can I play with the old classic controller, and use the tablet for inventory and voice chat at the same time?

There are new weapon trees if only because there are new monsters. The monster count has more than doubled. I don't know how many new ones exactly because I've been considering that a spoiler.

I believe your assumption is correct.

Money-wise, if you play the game over the course of several months, it's technically worth it.

You can use the old classic controller - I did it with the demo. There are new weapon trees. I think we've seen screenshots of the tablet being used with a classic controller.

MarkusRJR

I'm for sure getting the digital release of the 3DS version, but unsure if I'm going retail or digital on Wii U. Anyone know what the JP release took in terms of memory? Any more than 5gb and I'm getting the disc.

jercruz

I haven't played Tri in a while but I'm pretty sure the amount of loot is pretty much the same. Of course there's a skill for more loot if you feel you're not getting as much as you'd like.

I reached HR 46 last night after just shy of 190 hours played. I dread to think how long the guys I see with HR300+ have been playing.

try to reach HR 50, so you'll do your last urgent. That should be fun :)

You can farm HR points in Tri, you need to be a gunner, specific gunner equipment and clusters. I've seen groups do that all day so they reach HR999 quicker.

For me when I reached HR100 then, I never paid attention to it anymore.

Your excitement about this game has convinced me. I'm in. Damn you all. Seeking some thoughts from the community as a beginner:

1.) After playing through the demo quite a bit, I'm leaning toward either the double swords or the bow. It's my understanding that the double swords are new. Anyone have an opinion about their efficacy? I hear a lot of people complaining about SnS and I don't want to end up maining a weapon that ends up ineffective.

2.) How soloable is this game? Obviously it has heavy multiplate components and others have suggested you shouldn't even go online until at least after Jaggi, but at the higher levels, do you need to be playing online? I fear I may not be able to line up times to play with others. Will I hit a wall or are the creatures all scaled appropriately for the number of players?

kidko

I'm for sure getting the digital release of the 3DS version, but unsure if I'm going retail or digital on Wii U. Anyone know what the JP release took in terms of memory? Any more than 5gb and I'm getting the disc.

pretty sure someone posted it was ~6GB

Looking through my Monster Hunter Illustrations book is a sweet, sweet way to pass the time in anticipation. Since Tri was my intro to MH, it's super awesome to see the monsters that weren't in Tri that are making a comeback, like Nargacuga... wow, scared and excited to face this mean lookin kitty-bat!

hGe37Ng.png

He is no joke.

remist

There are new weapon trees if only because there are new monsters. The monster count has more than doubled. I don't know how many new ones exactly because I've been considering that a spoiler.

I believe your assumption is correct.

Money-wise, if you play the game over the course of several months, it's technically worth it.

You can use the old classic controller - I did it with the demo. There are new weapon trees. I think we've seen screenshots of the tablet being used with a classic controller.

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if
Alatreon
is still the "final boss?"

Fewr

There's a video around that shows load times of digital (internal, external hard drive) vs disc. The difference is very noticeable, about 2-2.5seconds. I think you should consider that.

I'm getting digital on Wii U because of this, and digital as well on 3DS because my local shop doesn't seem to care, and because I'm hoping this will be a game I will want to have with me everywhere.

EDIT: here is the comparison
Whoops, I posted this in the demo thread instead of here.

MH3U Wii U load time comparison

Top left: disc
Top right: digital download to internal storage
Bottom left: external hard drive
Bottom right: external SSD

Ranked fastest to slowest: SSD, internal storage, hard drive, disc

----------------------

We'll both be getting a digital 3DS version on both our XLs, although while playing at home, I'll be sticking with the 3DS and she'll be on the Wii U (also buying digitally). We do almost all our hunting together, aside from some single player farming.
It's over 1000! *breaks scouter* Tri was my first Monster Hunter game. I think around 1,200 hours at just under HR 400. Bought it at launch and played it frequently for a few years. While I played it less frequently after I had it for awhile I never really quit except for a few several month breaks. The last year here I have been playing consistently most every Friday night for a few hours. Talk about getting a bang for my buck. Money well spent I'd say and no doubt will apply to 3U as well. I was kinda wishy washy on the Tri demo when I first played it. Now...well I don't put over 1000 hours into a game I don't absolutely adore. ;)
That's really encouraging, like I said, I hope I get as much playtime as you guys with this. I'll try to convince a friend to join me sometime (he'll have to buy a 3DS and the game).

Sorry to being up Charm Tables guys (lol), but how do you check to make sure you didn't get a cursed one. I don't care which one I get as long as i'm not gimped by it being cursed. I read this whole thread and didn't see if someone actually explained how to see which one you have. Thanks.

Mupod

Your excitement about this game has convinced me. I'm in. Damn you all. Seeking some thoughts from the community as a beginner:

1.) After playing through the demo quite a bit, I'm leaning toward either the double swords or the bow. It's my understanding that the double swords are new. Anyone have an opinion about their efficacy? I hear a lot of people complaining about SnS and I don't want to end up maining a weapon that ends up ineffective.

2.) How soloable is this game? Obviously it has heavy multiplate components and others have suggested you shouldn't even go online until at least after Jaggi, but at the higher levels, do you need to be playing online? I fear I may not be able to line up times to play with others. Will I hit a wall or are the creatures all scaled appropriately for the number of players?

1. Dual swords aren't new, they were just gone in Tri because they were horribly broken and in desperate need of an overhaul. They came back in Portable 3rd, which is this game's other 'parent'. Every weapon can be effective if used properly, so don't worry about that.

The main problem with SnS in Tri was a lack of weapon variety, which is a kick in the balls to a weapon focused on status/elemental. That will not be an issue in this game.

At any rate I always say it's easier to learn a weapon than a monster. So in the unlikely event you can't ever beat something with duals, give another weapon a try.

2. Completely soloable, although monster HP values don't scale dynamically - they just give the ones for multiplayer higher HP which was really annoying for a soloer in Tri since its online quests were balanced for 4 people. This game is like the PSP ones where the 'online' quests are harder than the solo-only ones, but still available offline and beatable by one person. Some are very very hard of course, solo g-rank is not for the faint of heart.

The suggestion to wait until going online is simply because this game's got a learning curve not just in the combat system but in item combination, gathering, armor crafting and so on. Better to learn that at your own pace. Learning how to dodge will be appreciated by your future teammates as well.

Pineconn

None of the weapons are new, they just weren't in Tri. I'm under the impression that the Dual Blades from the demo are a bit OP'd, but I could be wrong. Also, apparently their sharpness is supposed to go down way faster, so don't get too used to having so much blue/green sharpness. SnS is fine, but you have to hit the monster with a constant flurry of strikes. Jump slashing in and rolling out will yield unfortunate results. Other weapon classes generally beat out the SnS, but I was able to complete all of the offline portion of Tri with it.

You don't need to go online at all. It is more fun to play with people, however, so there's that. Also, it's nice having other people to do a fair share of the attacking rather than the Shakalaka pillows. The downside is that one awful player can drag down the entire hunting party.

Nisa65

try to reach HR 50, so you'll do your last urgent. That should be fun :)

You can farm HR points in Tri, you need to be a gunner, specific gunner equipment and clusters. I've seen groups do that all day so they reach HR999 quicker.

For me when I reached HR100 then, I never paid attention to it anymore.

The final urgent is at HR7 iirc when you have to fight
Guran Miraosu
and then after that your HR shoots up to around 30 for some reason and then continues as normal from there.

The only monster I haven't fought yet is
DevilJho subspecies
which I am about to start doing as I need parts from him to finish the G rank Jho armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom