• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Punished Diablos with lots of Sonic Bombs. Didn't even let it go to its resting place lol.

Where do I find Sunspire Jewels? I only had enough to make one Disabler Jewel.

I think you can get them from any mining place. I know I can get them from the Volcano and Tundra.

Uh, so I'm kind of starting to get the hang of this game and it's pretty awesome. Captured a Great Jaggi and the big bear. Almost have a full set of Jaggi armor and some pretty decently upgrade dual swords. Definitely seeing where the love for this game comes from.

L Thammy

Thanks. I might go for Barroth. I'll look everything over first. So are there bonuses to making complete sets of armor?

Yes and no. Armours don't give you skills directly. They give you points that go toward unlocking the skill. A full armour will inevitably unlock several skills, but might have extra points too.

Decorations and charms also give you points. For example, I've slapped some attack decorations onto a full Jaggi set. The armour only gives Attack Up (S), but the decorations boosts it to Attack Up (M).

Even the default leather armour has skills. It's really good for gathering and mining.

DaBoss

How do I cut of a Barroth tail with S&S? Is that feasible?

Yup, it is possible, but hard since it's tail is too high for an SnS. A Great Sword, Long Sword, or a SwitchAxe would be the better options to cut its tail.

Thanks. I've barely set foot in Tundra which is probably why I only had one.

Just looked through the Brady guide, and it is in the Tundra and Volcano in low-rank, everywhere else in high-rank.

Feel like I'm doing pretty decent so far but it seems like the silliest issues stump me, & I can never find answers in the manual or strategy guide.

So here's one: how exactly does HR work? As I understand it, only quests taken on in Tanzia affect HR. Does this include solo play in Tanzia? Does each quest have a specific HR value (like experience points) that add up until you advance in ranking or do you have to complete every 1-star quest to advance to HR2? It seems odd to me that I've taken down Durambros & Rathian in Tanzia with other hunters & am doing 4-star quests in single player, but I'm still HR1.

Got my first charm while mining underwater in the swamp. It has to +7 exhaust but apparently that's a ranged skill. So I tried the crossbow and I was surprised to find a FPS mode. I also experimented with the lance. I want to give them all a shot before I start upgrading.

Dear Barioth, fuck you and fuck your spikes. Finally got my fourth one after getting zero for 5 captures in a row (both wings broken everytime). I could make his entire armor set if I got two more but I don't see much point since Volvidon's is better.

And to think I'd have needed five if I hadn't looked up the way to upgrade into the barioth HH from the arzuros one. Oh well, I have it now. Are there even any other weapons that require remotely that many? Seems like hunting horns are routinely requiring me to get some ridiculous shit to make.

After a short break I'll finally try out the online, got my USB keyboard ready.

I love fighting the Barioth. He is so much fun. and his gear looks sweet.
I dont know if the drop rate for him has been adjusted, but it shouldnt be too difficult to get his gear.
Hunting Horns do seem a bit resource demanding just to upgrade my Rath Bell requires me to do High Class missions.

Mupod

I love fighting the Barioth. He is so much fun. and his gear looks sweet.
I dont know if the drop rate for him has been adjusted, but it shouldnt be too difficult to get his gear.
Hunting Horns do seem a bit resource demanding just to upgrade my Rath Bell requires me to do High Class missions.

oh I definitely had fun doing it. I just like raging at the desire sensor. Nargacuga is my favorite monster though and Barioth always felt like a pale imitation to me.

I just need to get a little bit more drunk and I'll finally go online. If anyone wants to start off in HR1 and watch me play the song of my people while obliterating Qurupecos, feel free to add Mupod-N to your friends list.

Emitan

Thanks. I might go for Barroth. I'll look everything over first. So are there bonuses to making complete sets of armor?

Each piece of a set will contribute to an armor skill. Generally you need every piece of a set to actually earn enough points for the skill unless you bolster it with decorations.

Even with the various returning weapons that missed out Tri i'm finding that pulling myself away from my beloved Hammer is hard work, Gun Lance and Hunting Horn do make for nice backups though.
Speaking of the Gunlance, my mind is a blank as to how I obtain Gunpowder for one of the upgrades, i'm thinking some combining might be in order with the fire herb or something but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be swell.

I know this has been brought up a bit already, even in the last few posts but damn Barroth seems to have been made a fair bit weaker, or maybe it's just that I know all his tricks these days.

DaBoss

Even with the various returning weapons that missed out Tri i'm finding that pulling myself away from my beloved Hammer is hard work, Gun Lance and Hunting Horn do make for nice backups though.
Speaking of the Gunlance, my mind is a blank as to how I obtain Gunpowder for one of the upgrades, i'm thinking some combining might be in order with the fire herb or something but if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be swell.

I know this has been brought up a bit already, even in the last few posts but damn Barroth seems to have been made a fair bit weaker, or maybe it's just that I know all his tricks these days.

Fire Herb + Nitroshroom

They definitely made Barroth easier.

Troblin

Whats the difference between the two Jaggi armors, and which would you recommend? (one breastplate has +10 and one has +5 w/ different resists)/

MaleGardevoir

Neo Member
Feel like I'm doing pretty decent so far but it seems like the silliest issues stump me, & I can never find answers in the manual or strategy guide.

So here's one: how exactly does HR work? As I understand it, only quests taken on in Tanzia affect HR. Does this include solo play in Tanzia? Does each quest have a specific HR value (like experience points) that add up until you advance in ranking or do you have to complete every 1-star quest to advance to HR2? It seems odd to me that I've taken down Durambros & Rathian in Tanzia with other hunters & am doing 4-star quests in single player, but I'm still HR1.

You have to do key quests in Tanzia to unlock the urgent quest. Finishing the urgent will increase your HR. Solo Tanzia should affect HR as well.

derFeef

I can see this getting the claws into me, but there is a lot to learn, or at least to manage?
Still need to find a good weapon that suits me.

First level Hunt = Hunting an enemy you can beat who can call small enemies you can beat or an enemy who will fucking mash you up for 10 seconds just for luls

oh I definitely had fun doing it. I just like raging at the desire sensor. Nargacuga is my favorite monster though and Barioth always felt like a pale imitation to me.

I just need to get a little bit more drunk and I'll finally go online. If anyone wants to start off in HR1 and watch me play the song of my people while obliterating Qurupecos, feel free to add Mupod-N to your friends list.

I'll play with you if you're still on later tonight. I'll finally get to transfer my character. Rejoice!

Need palagicite ore for my next weapon upgrade, but that can only be found in the forest area. I'm one quest shy of finishing the two-star solo quests. Will I be able to travel to the forest in any of the three-star quests?

Peru

Seems the charm calculator is more or less permanently down. Guess I'll just hope the clock thing worked and play on.

Man, I need to gather all the Carpenterbugs. I hear they are in pretty much any bug spot (at low %, apparently), including Deserted Island, but why can't I cultivate them :|

Any locations where they show up more often?

Santiako

Need palagicite ore for my next weapon upgrade, but that can only be found in the forest area. I'm one quest shy of finishing the two-star solo quests. Will I be able to travel to the forest in any of the three-star quests?

You can replay any mission you want if you need a specific item.

Emitan

Man, I need to gather all the Carpenterbugs. I hear they are in pretty much any bug spot (at low %, apparently), including Deserted Island, but why can't I cultivate them :|

Any locations where they show up more often?

D. Island area 4. In the felyne hideout.

Sallokin

4ndixQul.jpg

Guess it's time to dive in feet first.

Boogiepop

Does Duramboros resist water or something? I spent about a half hour whacking at him with my Ludroth Dual Blades and he didn't go down. I mean, because it was so easy to get in on him and his attack pattern, I was hitting him pretty much nonstop, so all I can figure is he was resisting my attacks or he has an ungodly amount of hit points. Either way, he ended up just BARELY winning the war of attrition (he was limping for a good 5-10 minutes before he got me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom