• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm HR3. Sounds good, I'll just check this thread periodically then.

Oh, man... excite! I am excite.

Finally someone who wants to farm some HR3 stuff. We can knock out Los + Jho farming in one go with the HR3 Los mission.

I've been rocking the low rank Los set for a while now, but I'd like the high rank one. Attack Up Medium (with potential for Large), Sword Sharpner and Fire Attack are really good skills.

I'll set up the room later and post the details. Anyone HR3 and up are free to join as well :)

Could someone please help me figure out which charm table I got, none of the 3 sites are working for me:

Whetfish x 4
Sushifish x 3
Sleepyfish x 2
Pin Tuna x 2
Popfish x 4

thanks heaps, much appreciated!

gunstarhero

Spent about 4 hours today and I'm hooked. Was liking the S&S, but i think im liking the Lancer better.

Can't believe I waited so long to try a MH game! Ug.

Ohnonono

As someone who has played a good bit of MH I can't wait to get to the large monsters. All this gathering at first makes me grumpy!

God, all you guys talking about the charm table are making me increasingly nervous about not giving a fuck and just starting. Even on a cursed table, that doesn't make the game unwinnable or something does it?

God, all you guys talking about the charm table are making me increasingly nervous about not giving a fuck and just starting. Even on a cursed table, that doesn't make the game unwinnable or something does it?

If you land on T12 or T16 you won't be able to acquire Rustshards, which are used to make ancient weapons and apparently needed for certain G-rank armor sets. Still, you can get through the game with them.

Decorations are basically used th augment whatever skills you have from your armor and charms. You can use them to help boost up something you already have (like getting an armor set with Defense Up S to Defense Up M), or by adding points to remove a negative skill (like, say, adding a poison deco to a set to take your double-poison skill from -10 to -9, thus erasing the skill's effect). Between the different skills native to each armor set, all the talismans you can potentially collect, and then using decorations to strengthen strengths or cover for weaknesses, you're given a ton of versatility in how you want to construct your character to suit your playstyle.

Thanks, doorman! So, do armor sets automatically give set bonuses or does it depend on the set?

syoaran

When MHP3rd came out, I was in Japan surrounded by a lot of hype. I picked up the game and played the first three tiers of village quests - enjoyed it, but had no idea what I was doing so stopped.

Now that MHU3 is out and I'm playing it, I'm really glad I held out. I love exploring the complexity here but I'm glad this thread has such helpful veterans. MonHun GAF community is awesome!

3f330154936b11e2900e22000a1f96c7_7.jpg

Codeblue

So I'm trying to get local multi going between Wii U and 3DS.

I went to "Multi" and selected "Tavern" and rang the gong but he can't seem to find his way into my port. Any advice?

Doorman

Thanks, doorman! So, do armor sets automatically give set bonuses or does it depend on the set?

In general, each set of armor when completed will give you enough skill points on its own to give you several positive skills (typically around 3, at least for low rank stuff), and possibly one negative. You can check and see how many points each piece of armor contributes to each skill, and later on you'll find armor types with skills that overlap with what other sets provide, giving you more opportunities to mix and match armors and talismans to enact exactly which skills you most want, using decorations to fill in the gaps.

Armor Skills is probably one of the trickiest things for newcomers to the series to learn IMO, but once you get the basics, the rest is easy enough to figure out. The game is pretty good about laying out what skills each piece of equipment has and what those skills will do, provided you know where to look.

In general, each set of armor when completed will give you enough skill points on its own to give you several positive skills (typically around 3, at least for low rank stuff), and possibly one negative. You can check and see how many points each piece of armor contributes to each skill, and later on you'll find armor types with skills that overlap with what other sets provide, giving you more opportunities to mix and match armors and talismans to enact exactly which skills you most want, using decorations to fill in the gaps.

Armor Skills is probably one of the trickiest things for newcomers to the series to learn IMO, but once you get the basics, the rest is easy enough to figure out. The game is pretty good about laying out what skills each piece of equipment has and what those skills will do, provided you know where to look.

Ya, that's one area I am still trying to tackle: upgraded armors and decorations.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I wish the Charm Table website was up. I need to know if I have a bad table or not before I start ;_;

Darvan

The bigger battery pack for the gamepad can't come soon enough. I keep having to charge my pad going to have to move the power cord to some place closer so I can play while charging.

Kyzon

Just got the dual chainsaws. Are there any other chainsaw weapons other than the Chainslaughter? I'm loving these beasts!

Edit: I'm also going online in about half an hour if anyone wants to team up

Doorman

the bagpipe hunting horn is so awful

im just in a lobby and i can still hear the noise of it in my head

<3

I still find playing it underwater to be hilarious.

Ya, that's one area I am still trying to tackle: upgraded armors and decorations.

Just try to keep the following in mind: Each piece of armor and charm gives you skill points. Those skill points don't actually do anything until they hit a certain threshold (usually 10), at which point the skill will become active for you. Some skills have multiple levels of activation if you add more skill points, some can have a negative effect if their "stat" is pushed too low.

Take the "Attack Up" skill as an easy example. A fully-completed Jaggi armor set will give you 10 points in this skill, which is enough to activate Attack Up Small. If you have a talisman (or by simply adding five attack up decorations into the set's armor slot), you can raise it up to 15 points, and upgrade the skill to Attack Up Medium. Similarly, some armors will give you negative points in a stat, and reaching -10 activates the skill in a negative fashion (like how getting Poison -10 actually doubles the duration of poison when you incur it). Selecting armors is about thinking about what skills will suit your playstyle and putting together a set of equipment that will grant that for you.

Ok I'm getting sucked in here. I was a MH doubter but I think I'm being turned.

I have a bunch of items I don't know what to do with, but two in particular I'm wondering about.

What do I do with a Pawprint Stamp? I have three of them, they have zero value but are Rare 5?

What about vouchers? Do I hand them in somewhere?

I think you can look up the charms you've got in some special program (Athena something?), and from there you can eventually tell which you've got.

Can a veteran mohunter gaffer confirm?

EDIT: This is the Athena thing I was talking about: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49780605&postcount=4231
True, or use the fishing tool (can't link now sorry). It doesn't matter if you do the table test now or 100h after, the result is always the same.

I think you can look up the charms you've got in some special program (Athena something?), and from there you can eventually tell which table you've got.

Can a veteran mohunter gaffer confirm?

EDIT: This is the Athena thing I was talking about: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49780605&postcount=4231

That just shows the charms in each table. It still tells you to use the fishing chart.

Thanks a lot. Lucky for me one of my only charms that I received was an Anti Theft +2 with one slot open, which doesn't exist on any of the cursed tables. That's good enough for me.

RobbieNick

Defeated my first Qurrupeco. Man, was he tough and did not die easily. Even when limping. Cheater had a Great Jaggi hanging around him too which made things even more tough.

Still, I get why people love this game. I feel like a badass now. The Great Jaggi who once was a tough boss is more of an annoyance now.

Still gotta beat that Barroth. It ain't gonna be easy.

Doorman

Ok I'm getting sucked in here. I was a MH doubter but I think I'm being turned.

I have a bunch of items I don't know what to do with, but two in particular I'm wondering about.

What do I do with a Pawprint Stamp? I have three of them, they have zero value but are Rare 5?

What about vouchers? Do I hand them in somewhere?

Hooray, we've hooked another one!

As for the items...I'm assuming you got the Pawprint Stamp from a canteen quest in the port? (I have yet to actually receive one so I don't know for sure) There are a few special weapons that require them as an item for crafting.

Vouchers you gain by eating at the canteen. They are on rare occasion used as a crafting item, mostly you can trade them in at the village canteen or go to the big table in the port and spend them to host a souped-up meal for your entire hunting party. Just get everyone to sit together and feast!

Sanic

I think my biggest concern with the game so far is that you're absolutely bombarded with items, and have no way of knowing what half of them do. I guess it's good that you're given a lot of storage space in your item chest, but I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm just heaving stuff in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom