• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
WTF is.... Charm tables? What's this about some number having 20,000 and others having 800? Someone care to explain?

Quoted from this Pastebin

Q: What are charms?
A: Charms are equipment with a dedicated slot that grant no offensive or defensive bonus. Instead, they only offer skill points which can be crucial in making a set of armor with the skills you want.

Q: How do I get charms?
A: Higher rank (and some lower rank) quests give charms as rewards. Mining in areas such as the Tundra or the Volcano can also reward charms. Which specific charms you actually get is incredibly random.

Q: How many charm tables are there and which ones are the best?
A: There are 17 charm tables available. 5 of these 17 tables (11, 12, 15, 16, 17) are considered the "cursed" tables because they contain between just 200 and 800 possible charms and are generally mediocre if not straight up bad; if you care at all about charms (and you probably will if you play long enough) avoid these tables like the plague.

I would like to give programming a Charm Table checker for offline use but I have no idea how the heck the online application is even working, or how I would get the information I needed from the game to check.

That would be incredible. However, I have no idea how you would get the info, particularly given that the original site that I believe runs the actual spreadsheet is in Japanese anyway.

Tomat

That would be incredible. However, I have no idea how you would get the info, particularly given that the original site that I believe runs the actual spreadsheet is in Japanese anyway.

Yeah, that's the big problem. Since I have no idea what actually goes on behind the scenes this whole thing could be well beyond my programming ability right now. I've got ideas as to how it might work, but none of that matters much.

Hiltz

Is there a known reason why Capcom decided to include this so-called "charm table" in this game ? What's the point ?

Prade

Is there a known reason why Capcom decided to include this so-called "charm table" in this game ? What's the point ?

Might just be a glitch. It was actually in Tri too. The only difference is the table would reset whenever you turned the game back on.

Might just be a glitch. It was actually in Tri too. The only difference is the table would reset whenever you turned the game back on.
As a programmer... this is waaaaaay too specific to be a glitch. I think they implemented this to make characters unique. Sorta like IV in Pokemon.

RedBoot

As a programmer... this is waaaaaay too specific to be a glitch. I think they implemented this to make characters unique. Sorta like IV in Pokemon.

Yeah, it makes sense to have multiple loot tables for these things, it's a behind the scenes way to make players a little different.

Now, as to why they'd make some of the loot tables absolutely terrible, I don't know. Outside of wanting to be a dick, I guess.

Tomat

Any ideas as to why the loot you receive from the Fishing Fleet seems to be tied to the table?

polg

What are good wikis for the game?
My xp is only around 20 hours on Tri on the wii and want to be prepared for this one

What path does one recommend for the hunting horn? 10 hours of playtime(get rid of a bit for idle) and I'm still using the default metal bagpipe :/ Have forged many new armors at the least.

Dumb question...how did you get it to transfer? I can't find the app anywhere on the ds shop.

Search Monster Hunter, it'll be the first item that shows up. Surprised it still isn't on the front page.

What path does one recommend for the hunting horn? 10 hours of playtime(get rid of a bit for idle) and I'm still using the default metal bagpipe :/ Have forged many new armors at the least.

Search Monster Hunter, it'll be the first item that shows up. Surprised it still isn't on the front page.
Its like 6th even in the new items tab. It really need some central placement or under the main game

Raide

Defeated my first Qurrupeco. Man, was he tough and did not die easily. Even when limping. Cheater had a Great Jaggi hanging around him too which made things even more tough.

Still, I get why people love this game. I feel like a badass now. The Great Jaggi who once was a tough boss is more of an annoyance now.

Still gotta beat that Barroth. It ain't gonna be easy.

That is seriously the best thing about MH. The feeling of downing a monster that was hard, only to be replaced by another fear...which you overcome. Magical.#]

What are Tears used for?

Edit: I'm not exactly sure if I'm playing the game 100% right ( first time ) but I'm having a lot of fun.

Are you adventuring around the world, killing and skinning things, as well as mashing bugs, collecting honey and mining? Do you find yourself talking to NPC's over and over, or spending way too much time farming?

Yup, you're playing it fine.

Alright, Jaggi set, Azuros set, and now finally done my Qurupecos set. Though I suppose my need to have a "perfect" set, including a weapon made from said Monster is probably not for the best, man do I not care. Hell, got me to try out the Hunting Horn, after all.

Finally it's out here. I had to get drunk to pass the time yesterday so didn't crawl out of bed to pick it up until 2pm but it's in my 3ds now and I've just downed my first great jaggi of the game so things are on their way.

Three hours of local co-op on 3DS. Game of the forever.

Oh man, Magic: the Gathering night is at serious risk of turning into Monster Hunter night. We just spent four hours playing with two 3DS copies and a WiiU copy.

seriously, top-tier local co-op all up in this thing. Not that I have anything against internet play, but a couple of friends in the same room mashing pecco never gets old.

SupaNaab

If I go out and buy the Wii U version can my brother and I play on seperate saves? Then, if we bought a 3DS copy down the road could we transfer one of our saves to that version for co-op?

If I go out and buy the Wii U version can my brother and I play on seperate saves? Then, if we bought a 3DS copy down the road could we transfer one of our saves to that version for co-op?

There's three save slots. Also, I don't see why not, but I don't have both versions so I can't be sure.

EDIT: There anywhere in the game I can see what skills do what? I'm a bit lost at what some of these armour sets even do.

Mr E.

Alright, Jaggi set, Azuros set, and now finally done my Qurupecos set. Though I suppose my need to have a "perfect" set, including a weapon made from said Monster is probably not for the best, man do I not care. Hell, got me to try out the Hunting Horn, after all.
Noob question alert. To get these "sets" is it a matter of keep killing the same species of monster until you get enough drops and then go to the amourer to craft the gear?

Cheers, own both Wii abd 3DS but haven't actually got round to playing duh.

Noob question alert. To get these "sets" is it a matter of keep killing the same species of monster until you get enough drops and then go to the amourer to craft the gear?

Cheers, own both Wii abd 3DS but haven't actually got round to playing duh.

Yep but there's generally other bits required also that don't come from the monster and have to be farmed or gathered.

Wroggi S set is probably going to be one of the best High Rank armor sets for looks and skills:

Wroggi1.png

Wroggi3.png

I gemmed out Defense down and gemmed in Speed Sharpening. I got 275 defense total after upgrading it a few times as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom