• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

I think my biggest concern with the game so far is that you're absolutely bombarded with items, and have no way of knowing what half of them do. I guess it's good that you're given a lot of storage space in your item chest, but I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm just heaving stuff in there.

No worries. Everyone has their box filled up with stuff of no obvious immediate use. Later you'll find it comes in useful for crafting something, village requests or maybe just to sell. A lot of it can be used to combine items to make something else. (If you choose combine in the box and highlight an item it will show you what it can be combined with. If you have several of those items you can just try it and see what it creates. Of course the info is out there in guides and the web as weel).

I think my biggest concern with the game so far is that you're absolutely bombarded with items, and have no way of knowing what half of them do. I guess it's good that you're given a lot of storage space in your item chest, but I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm just heaving stuff in there.

All you really need in your default inventory:

20 Whetstones
10 Mega Potions
5 Mega Pickaxes
5 Mega Bugnets

Once you get to High/G-rank, you should already know what extra items to bring. Everything else you pick up/receive just throw it in your item box.

Is there a reason why the first thirty seconds or so of music in my village are goddamn nightmare fuel? It sounds like Crazy Bus. I thought my 3DS speakers were broken until the normal jaunty music started back up.

Sanic

No worries. Everyone has their box filled up with stuff of no obvious immediate use. Later you'll find it comes in useful for crafting something, village requests or maybe just to sell. A lot of it can be used to combine items to make something else. (If you choose combine in the box and highlight an item it will show you what it can be combined with. If you have several of those items you can just try it and see what it creates. Of course the info is out there in guides and the web as weel).

All you really need in your default inventory:

20 Whetstones
10 Mega Potions
5 Mega Pickaxes
5 Mega Bugnets

Once you get to High/G-rank, you should already know what extra items to bring. Everything else you pick up/receive just throw it in your item box.

Yeah, i'm starting to figure out what the core items are. It's good to know that it's alright to just shove everything into the chest and go back to it when I need to.

A bit off topic: Any MH-themed desktop wallpapers you recommend?

monster-hunter-live-chat-by-liveperson-vocaloids-214190.jpg

monster-hunter-war--1080x1920.jpg

233994.jpg

251305.jpg

Camjo-Z

Defeated my first Qurrupeco. Man, was he tough and did not die easily. Even when limping. Cheater had a Great Jaggi hanging around him too which made things even more tough.

IIRC the dung bomb is helpful for getting rid of any extra monsters you aren't interested in fighting at that moment. Just toss one at the unwanted critter and watch him skedaddle.

Mupod

I have no idea if the people I was just playing with were even from GAF but whatever, we all got our HR1 urgents done in a highly professional manner. Now I can sleep!

But I still need to get some strange beaks for maestro decorations. And fertile mud for the story quest.

I have no idea if the people I was just playing with were even from GAF but whatever, we all got our HR1 urgents done in a highly professional manner. Now I can sleep!

But I still need to get some strange beaks for maestro decorations. And fertile mud for the story quest.

I played with you. It was great fun, even if I did faint twice!

Busaiku

Augh, so after about 9 hours, I find out about the female exclusive armors...
Gah, gotta start all over again...

Is there any way I can skip those tutorials?

TentPole

Yep, I did the same thing and am just now finding out about this cursed charm table business and am terrified I am going to have to start over again.

Orayn

I'm just now coming to the realization that Wroggi armor has +Sharpness and it makes you look like a cowboy. That's the ultimate combination of form and function.

Kyzon

Press A really fast?

Lol unfortunately I don't think you can skip.

Anyways on another hand, I'm going online now. any rooms for gaffers?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

What exactly do you mean by female exclusive armors? Like, actual sets that are female only? Or are you speaking strictly in terms of armor design?

emb

The Qurupeco took forever for me to. I went in expecting to lol around and win in ~25 minutes because it's just peco, but going back to default gear can make even some of these early monsters pretty resilient. Took me about 40 minutes, almost made me late for class. Fun stuff though. Can't wait until I get some time to play more.

Hooray, we've hooked another one!

As for the items...I'm assuming you got the Pawprint Stamp from a canteen quest in the port? (I have yet to actually receive one so I don't know for sure) There are a few special weapons that require them as an item for crafting.

Vouchers you gain by eating at the canteen. They are on rare occasion used as a crafting item, mostly you can trade them in at the village canteen or go to the big table in the port and spend them to host a souped-up meal for your entire hunting party. Just get everyone to sit together and feast!

Thanks!

I actually have three pawprint stamps, none of which came from quests. I killed some cat enemies out in the woods and they dropped these sparkling thingies and some were these stamps. I've read that these are somewhat rare?

Busaiku

What exactly do you mean by female exclusive armors? Like, actual sets that are female only? Or are you speaking strictly in terms of armor design?

That sailor outfit that's on the back of the game's 3DS icon is female only, according to one of the sites.

JoeFenix

Sorry if it's been answered already but I just got done playing the Wii U demo and the framerate was REALLY annoying when you pan the camera.

Is this fixed in the final version? The demo ran worse than the original Tri on Wii, it's kind of hard to believe that the final version would run this poorly....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh man, Magic: the Gathering night is at serious risk of turning into Monster Hunter night. We just spent four hours playing with two 3DS copies and a WiiU copy.

this being my first MH im not sure exactly what to go for next

I just finished the full jaggi set + Dual Blades from the jaggi

should I work on upgrading all this gear? Should I build the whole quropeco set or the lagombi set and then upgrade those? Is upgrading weaker weapons ever beneficial based on how they change later or what

killed a couple of bigger creatures earlier with friends and it was fun

sorry for being a pain

<3

I still find playing it underwater to be hilarious.

Just try to keep the following in mind: Each piece of armor and charm gives you skill points. Those skill points don't actually do anything until they hit a certain threshold (usually 10), at which point the skill will become active for you. Some skills have multiple levels of activation if you add more skill points, some can have a negative effect if their "stat" is pushed too low.

Take the "Attack Up" skill as an easy example. A fully-completed Jaggi armor set will give you 10 points in this skill, which is enough to activate Attack Up Small. If you have a talisman (or by simply adding five attack up decorations into the set's armor slot), you can raise it up to 15 points, and upgrade the skill to Attack Up Medium. Similarly, some armors will give you negative points in a stat, and reaching -10 activates the skill in a negative fashion (like how getting Poison -10 actually doubles the duration of poison when you incur it). Selecting armors is about thinking about what skills will suit your playstyle and putting together a set of equipment that will grant that for you.

How do you know whether a +10 or +15 will activate a skill? How would I know that a +5 would make my AtkUp go from S to M?

Lastly, is there a way to check that I am getting this bonus on my character or is it just assumed by looking at the stat bonuses?

Ridley327

Red Wing + level 3 charge=a stunning back-to-back head smash and tail cut on Duramboros

Yeah, this is why Great Swords are awesome.

Korezo

Anyone wii u acting up after long hours of MH? Mine froze once and now the game started making retarded sounds and stuttering with controllers not working and froze

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I would like to give programming a Charm Table checker for offline use but I have no idea how the heck the online application is even working, or how I would get the information I needed from the game to check.

L00P

Hunting Horn is my new go-to weapon. Killing things with a bagpipe is so satisfying

I made the Qurupeco horn, and now everything sounds jazzy. I don't think I need to bring potions with this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom