• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how friendly everyone is online!

Games that are based on patient play tend to attract a more mature crowd. Games that are filled with trigger-happy, instant gratification gameplay tend to attract other sorts...

Even when I get people who sound like they're 12 in a random match they're very polite. Monster Hunter = best fans.

Not being competitively driven helps too.

Yup, I said it before but the MH community is generally a nice bunch.

This makes me smile =), Monster Hunter just brings out the comradery
of everyone...untill the quest finishs and carves are done XD Then it's hit each other untill times up =P

This makes me smile =), Monster Hunter just brings out the comradery
of everyone...untill the quest finishs and carves are done XD Then it's hit each other untill times up =P
Even those hits are friendly hits, like when you wrestle with a buddy. Whenever I do "PvP" after a fight, it's filled with "lols" typed out and such. We're all just having a good time until the timer is up.

Now if Monster Hunter had a real PvP mode...I don't know how the community would change. How kind is the Dark Souls community?

Doorman

Games that are based on patient play tend to attract a more mature crowd. Games that are filled with trigger-happy, instant gratification gameplay tend to attract other sorts...

Not being competitively driven helps too.

I do agree that the style of game goes a long way in helping out the temperment of the community, especially with the cooperative nature of this. The multiplayer in the game is based solely around working together as a team to take down opponents and get the crafting components necessary to better yourself. There really is no incentive to jumping into a room and trying to prove that you're "better" than anybody else there. It's more in your interest to help grow the other members of the group as much as yourself, because that makes it easier and more fun when you advance to take on bigger, tougher beasts.

I think it also helps that because of the game's depth, a lot of teacher-student sort of relationships develop here moreso than most other online-enabled games. You see it in communities like here at GAF for instance, you can receive gratification by helping to explain some of the game's trickier systems to newbies, help them discover strategies for combat, and in return new players gain a better understanding of what they're doing, usually faster than if they were to stumble through all of it themselves. That's a sort of dynamic that you don't really see from people who party together in an FPS or the like.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Whoa, I played for 15 hours before I beat the tutorial. lol. Me and a friend were high playing online a good chunk of it trying to kill Barroth and the Qurupeco and then upgrading some gear.

Are they scaled for 4 players? lol.

Santiako

Question about the skills. I just made a Lagombi set that has -10 Heat Resistance, if I gem in a +2 Heat Resistance decoration, I avoid the negative effects, right?

Emitan

Whoa, I played for 15 hours before I beat the tutorial. lol. Me and a friend were high playing online a good chunk of it trying to kill Barroth and the Qurupeco and then upgrading some gear.

Are they scaled for 4 players? lol.

I'm pretty sure the multiplayer is only scaled for 2 players in this game because it's a port of an ad-hoc only title.

Question about the skills. I just made a Lagombi set that has -10 Heat Resistance, if I gem in a +2 Heat Resistance decoration, I avoid the negative effects, right?

Yes. A skill is only active when it reaches the threshold/milestone.

Now if Monster Hunter had a real PvP mode...I don't know how the community would change. How kind is the Dark Souls community?

Dark Souls...get ganked in the first area by someone with endgame equipment lol

I still haven't played online yet, lols....I'll join you guys one day, but I think today my friends want to start our first local session. =D

kinggroin

Banned
Just fucked Barroth up with my gunlance and felt real good about myself.

I come in here and you guys are shitting all over him. :mad:

Well, he was kinda the first monster you grew chest hair from, on the Wii version. Here he goes down fairly quickly and worst of all, lacks the insane stamina he once had. I think they gave it all to Peco :-/

Raven77

Okay gaf, can someone please explain what they love so much about this game? Never played one but have always been intrigued by it.

Is it like an mmo? I've read a few faqs, etc. and I still don't really "get" it. Is there exploration? I'm sort of like a big fan of games with great worlds to explore, sort of like really really a big fan of exploration.

Morokh

Okay gaf, can someone please explain what they love so much about this game? Never played one but have always been intrigued by it.

Is it like an mmo? I've read a few faqs, etc. and I still don't really "get" it. Is there exploration? I'm sort of like a big fan of games with great worlds to explore, sort of like really really a big fan of exploration.

There is not much exploring involved, there are several areas you unlock along the way but it's mainly the wildlife that changes depending on quests / days.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

It is like a series of intense boss battles using a very solid set of gameplay mechanics combined with a very deep loot system.

Prade

Kill monsters, carve them, make weapons and armor out of them, fight bigger monsters, make weapons and armors out of them, hunt BIGGER monsters... I'm sure you get the idea. I think this video sums it up well.

Doorman

I wouldn't equate it to an MMO outside of the thinking that you go on quests. Exploration in the traditional sense is pretty minimal, the discovery to be had here is by testing out and upgrading your weaponry, and foremost by facing new monsters and coming to learn the ways that they move around and attack.

There's not really a hard and fast way to describe MH to someone that hasn't tried to play it, but I would describe it as an action game with the loot-and-upgrade progression system of an RPG and the methodical combat sensibilities of a classic fighting game (deliberate moves and attacks, a focus on proper timing and spacing).

Fistwell

Is Barioth still a motherfucker?
Low rank, no. A touch slower. And they added a shoulder check, which he telegraphs from miles away and takes time to recover from (free hits all over).

Edit: To whomever was hyping the streaking bullfango lance, holy crap! This shit is awesome! I cap'd SP giggi in about 8mins! :D

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Hahaha, I meant more like dueling. Invasion is obviously a hostile act.

It's pretty much shit this late in the game as everyone knows to get the master key and how to get late-game equipment really early. Lots of obsessive min/max character builds and OHKOs. PvP in Dark Souls is more like a western duel these days, chances are whoever lands the first hit will win.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, they gave him a new move (fast hip check). I think he feels a bit harder than in Tri, but not by that much.

Low rank at least, I found the hipcheck was a great opening for attack, since it's so easy to read. Compared to all his jumping around in Tri, it was a breeze.

Jofamo

Couple of questions MonsterGAF;

What constitutes a day in Monster hunter? Sometimes I look at the forecast and see something tomorrow that catches my eye, I go do a quest and when I check again it's gone completely.

Also, when/how does the streetpass feature of the 3DS version work? I'm not too far in, just completed the first couple of guild quests. I can look at my own guild card, but Monster Hunter isn't in my list if Streetpass enabled games and I don't recall the game mentioning it so far.

TheExodu5

Banned
Low rank, no. A touch slower. And they added a shoulder check, which he telegraphs from miles away and takes time to recover from (free hits all over).

Edit: To whomever was hyping the streaking bullfango lance, holy crap! This shit is awesome! I cap'd SP giggi in about 8mins! :D

I don't understand that lance at all...it looks like a gunlance. D:

Kouriozan

I'm trying to check what charm table I have with mining, gonna take a while.
Right now I'm 100% sure I don't have table 12, 16 and 17

B-Dex

Couple of questions MonsterGAF;

What constitutes a day in Monster hunter? Sometimes I look at the forecast and see something tomorrow that catches my eye, I go do a quest and when I check again it's gone completely.

Also, when/how does the streetpass feature of the 3DS version work? I'm not too far in, just completed the first couple of guild quests. I can look at my own guild card, but Monster Hunter isn't in my list if Streetpass enabled games and I don't recall the game mentioning it so far.

do a quest, day goes by. Go to moga woods and come back (regardless of how long) day goes by.

oracrest

So there seems to be one glaring flaw with the data transfer program. That is, it moves ALL data, not just specific saves. My character is saved on my 3DS, and my girlfriends is on the wiiu. We can co-op just fine like this. But when I try and transfer, it wants to copy ALL data, and tells me that save data on the wiiu doesn't match that on the 3DS, and it wants me to delete the console data.

I'm so disappointed in this. I can't believe they wouldn't anticipate people co-oping locally between the systems. Does anyone know a fix for this?

traveler

Not Wario
First time player here. Making pretty good progress. Peco, rathian, barroth, royal ludroth, rathian, gobul, and lagoombi down. Lagiacrus up next. After trying all the weapons, decided i like the hammer most. To that end, ive completed a barroth set. What is a good early game (hr1 to hr2) hammer to shoot for? Im currently using war hammer+ and had been continuing down that path. I have three upgrade choices now but ive also heard good things about the numbingbird hammer, as well as paralysis hammers in general, so im wondering if i shouldn't opt to forge that instead of continuing down my path. Any thoughts?

Jofamo

So there seems to be one glaring flaw with the data transfer program. That is, it moves ALL data, not just specific saves. My character is saved on my 3DS, and my girlfriends is on the wiiu. We can co-op just fine like this. But when I try and transfer, it wants to copy ALL data, and tells me that save data on the wiiu doesn't match that on the 3DS, and it wants me to delete the console data.

I'm so disappointed in this. I can't believe they wouldn't anticipate people co-oping locally between the systems. Does anyone know a fix for this?

It's confusing due to there being three available save slots. If you create a new WiiU account profile, you can do it this way, il for you three blank slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom