• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else getting a lot of lost connections with the save transfer tool? I'm pretty sure it's the Wii U's fault. I always have to reboot the Wii U for it to work.

Is the Brady digital guide worth getting?

I appreciate the hell out of the fact that we're looking at a 500 page plus strategy guide here in the states, but I've found it lacking in some pretty basic stuff when I do a word search (for example, I couldn't find any info about Azuros armor in the whole guide -- of course I haven't read the whole thing; maybe my PDF viewer's search function doesn't work well). In my experience, I've found more valuable information with basic web searches (the Monster Hunter Wiki, etc.) that come up with user-generated Monster Hunter Tri content. It'll get even better when more web content comes up for 3 Ultimate. If you're playing on the Wii U, the fact that you can't display it on the GamePad (the browser doesn't support PDFs) is also a downer.

This is my first Monster Hunter game.

Good GOD it's amazing (Wii U version). I have 17 hours in the game and I just started it yesterday. It looks like I won't be having a life for a few weeks.

Nice fix.

Also to play with the Wii U online you need a USB ethernet adapter. . . . .

One more thing, what does streetpass do for this game?

Prade

As a MH beginner, do I upgrade bone or iron gunlance? Does it matter early on?

In the beginning, Iron weapons generally have more sharpness, while bone weapons have more raw damage. I'd say stick to what they give you in the box and just keep upgrading them.

chrono01

I appreciate the hell out of the fact that we're looking at a 500 page plus strategy guide here in the states, but I've found it lacking in some pretty basic stuff when I do a word search (for example, I couldn't find any info about Azuros armor in the whole guide -- of course I haven't read the whole thing;

Search for "Arzuros" instead.

Plenty of items show up, including the armor. :)

Airan

Notice how the element is greyed instead of being pink like the other Poison weapons? That is because there is this skill called Awakening which will allow weapons without an element to obtain an element.

Yep, I figured as such when I checked the other weapons and noticed the elements were a different colour, while the unAwakened ones were all grey. Excellent, now I can plan ahead for my weapon sets!

Might want to edit out the quote! Wish I was online with everyone. I'm away from home so 3ds it is for now.

Thanks I don't know why it showed up I quoted after he fixed it. SORRY!!!!

So no one knows that the 3DS street pass does? It shows a green dot for the game but I can't find anything. I wanted some ingredient I don't have much of.

Thanks I don't know why it showed up I quoted after he fixed it. SORRY!!!!

So no one knows that the 3DS street pass does? It shows a green dot for the game but I can't find anything. I wanted some ingredient I don't have much of.

I believe it just exchange guild card with other hunters.

just got a rathian plate... and I don't even need one.
they are hard to get, right?

You'll probably need one later down the line for a weapon or armor set. It's pretty rare, yeah.

Also, Stoutbones are from High Rank Arzuros, right? Need them for this Plesioth hammer, aka my Uragaan killer.

Well, I just confirmed that I don't have any of the cursed tables, so that's a relief. I don't really care what table I have, as long as it wasn't cursed. Also, can't have table 2, but table 10 is still a possibility! Need to get more charms (or those sites need to come back!).

For some reason I thought that method worked for advancing the day. I think you gotta kill a few monsters then when you enter Moga Woods? Or at least the boss monster that's there.

Edit: oh, cool. 2 minutes.

I appreciate the hell out of the fact that we're looking at a 500 page plus strategy guide here in the states, but I've found it lacking in some pretty basic stuff when I do a word search (for example, I couldn't find any info about Azuros armor in the whole guide -- of course I haven't read the whole thing; maybe my PDF viewer's search function doesn't work well). In my experience, I've found more valuable information with basic web searches (the Monster Hunter Wiki, etc.) that come up with user-generated Monster Hunter Tri content. It'll get even better when more web content comes up for 3 Ultimate. If you're playing on the Wii U, the fact that you can't display it on the GamePad (the browser doesn't support PDFs) is also a downer.

yeah, I also wish the guide had the basic graphs, weapons trees, and more detailed information about what I'm working for and how to get it. But the monster drop guide is very useful...

CaLe

So I played the demo and didn't really fall in love with the game. I found the worlds a bit barren, I could see how the game could become addictive though.

Is the demo a good representation of the full game ?

Thanks

So I played the demo and didn't really fall in love with the game. I found the worlds a bit barren, I could see how the game could become addictive though.

Thanks

The demo is horrible and not a good representation of the game as a whole. It's only good to get a feel of the combat, but there's just so much more that the game offers. Online play (Wii U), crafting weapons/armor, other maps to explore, etc.

Thanks

Far from it.
The actual game has you do a lot of farming and upgrading your gear. Also it does a better job of easing you into the mechanics and getting more familiar with the world. Plus the online system is great.

Its disappointing that I cant mark down the resources I need for certain things like I could do in Tri. I have a hard time remembering how many I need. I guess it will be time to pull out the pen and paper...

That's not necessarily the fault of your connection. Same thing happened to me while playing with a few GAFers.

Two days gone, 17 hours put into the game (though granted I had it running a few hours in the background). Jeez.

I see. Well, got dced twice in a row tonight. I guess there's really a problem with my uni connection.

DaBoss

Thanks

My interpretation of the series:
DaBoss said:
Think of Monster Hunter as a pseudo-fighting action game with a focus on fighting monsters larger than
you. Combat is deliberate and makes you time things like you would in a fighting game. Gathering materials,
crafting, and upgrading equipment is how you'll get stronger. You'll basically never finish the game. Think
of the game as Smash Bros in terms of single-player vs multiplayer. Single-player is fun, but multiplayer
is a hell of an experience.

I don't feel the demo does much justice as it lacked many things about what makes Monster Hunter addictive and fun.

Also, watch Eurogamer's Let's Play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70IW3BN8yU

It gives a better understanding of the game's beginning. Watch more YouTube videos about it and you will probably get a better understanding, but playing it is the best way to understand it.

Its disappointing that I cant mark down the resources I need for certain things like I could do in Tri. I have a hard time remembering how many I need. I guess it will be time to pull out the pen and paper...

Desire sensor. :p

Bankoiia

I so wish I could swap the functions of the LR-triggers to the more comfortably placed Z-variants. Having to constantly switch positions with the index fingers is a pain. :p

CaLe

Thanks for the answer guys, I guess I'll give the full game a try :) !

Hopefully it allows for short play sessions; Getting married soon, and I just can't find time to play a lot of games nowadays. 1-2 hours gaming sessions is what I'm looking for.

:(

Ken

I so wish I could swap the functions of the LR-triggers to the more comfortably placed Z-variants. Having to constantly switch positions with the index fingers is a pain. :p

You can.

Go into options and it's type 2 of one of the categories.

Mupod

:bow this game :bow2

So much fun going after lagriacrus! omg that was intense. :)

GOTY

Note to self: When goofing off wearing nothing but a gargwa head, stop being cheap and relying on my peco horn's heals and just use a damn potion

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Note to self: When goofing off wearing nothing but a gargwa head, stop being cheap and relying on my peco horn's heals and just use a damn potion

was there a sign on my room that said "no pants required"

because you were not alone. that other guy was funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom