• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Thanks for the answer guys, I guess I'll give the full game a try :) !

Hopefully it allows for short play sessions; Getting married soon, and I just can't find time to play a lot of games nowadays. 1-2 hours gaming sessions is what I'm looking for.

:(

Definitely. Most hunts take at most 30 minutes.

Mupod

Hopefully it allows for short play sessions; Getting married soon, and I just can't find time to play a lot of games nowadays. 1-2 hours gaming sessions is what I'm looking for.

It got popular as a portable game for a reason - it's ideal for that kind of thing.

neoemonk

I noticed on the Club Nintendo page that the retail version of this game on the Wii U wasn't listed as eligible, but it's the only one that isn't. I'm 60 points from platinum for the year and I'd like to pick something new up for the Wii U. Any chance that retail will become eligible?

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of getting it digitally, I just prefer retail in general.

I noticed on the Club Nintendo page that the retail version of this game on the Wii U wasn't listed as eligible, but it's the only one that isn't. I'm 60 points from platinum for the year and I'd like to pick something new up for the Wii U. Any chance that retail will become eligible?

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of getting it digitally, I just prefer retail in general.

I have a Tales code you can have but it will only be worth 40 I think.

It might be used though, Just quote this with your answer and I will message you it. Maybe someone else will give you another one.

Doorman

Compared to Tri anyway, it feels like most hunts as a whole are a bit shorter than they used to be. That's the nice thing about the quest-based progression of it, you could hop on and complete a couple of quick hunts if you wanted to, or you could conceivably go marathon-sessions with it. An individual fight against a boss monster takes longer here than in most action games (aside from Shadow of the Colossus I suppose), but each fight is pretty well compartmentalized such that you can pretty easily stop playing whenever it's most convenient for you.

neoemonk

I have a Tales code you can have but it will only be worth 40 I think.

It might be used though, Just quote this with your answer and I will message you it. Maybe someone else will give you another one.

Well thanks. That's very kind of you to offer. I'll gladly take it. 40 points would give me an excuse to get Pikmin 2 for the Wii :)

Just got Cha-Cha on my team and can access rank 3, now the game is starting to feel like monster hunter far less "gather 8 things" more "kill boss" or "kill 8 things" glorious

Alex

Figure I'll start playing online some, finally got a chunk of time in last night to play and rolled out an armor set and a gun. Made a room with GAF in the name on the provided server info if anyone wants to join,

markot

Banned
It is essentially an mmorpg, its all about grinds, quests.

Except it has a pretty awful online system.

I dont even mean for consoles. PC, open world, big ass monsters... its essentially all there...

Unicorn

It is essentially an mmorpg, its all about grinds, quests.

Except it has a pretty awful online system.

I dont even mean for consoles. PC, open world, big ass monsters... its essentially all there...

There is an MMO

Monster Hunter: Frontier.

Japan only.

markot

Banned
There is an MMO

Monster Hunter: Frontier.

Japan only.

But if they want monster hunter to hit it big outside the west, then they have to stop releasing these monster hunter games with limited online stuff.

Its like blizzard releasing wow with 4 player only.

Its like making a soccer game but not putting in a ball...

But if they want monster hunter to hit it big outside the west, then they have to stop releasing these monster hunter games with limited online stuff.

I, personally, hate the structure of MMO's. This game provides a much more intimate online experience. I do wish the lobbies would hold a bit more people, maybe 8, max. But the 4 Player hunts are perfect.

Peru

No it's not.

markot

Banned
I, personally, hate the structure of MMO's. This game provides a much more intimate online experience. I do wish the lobbies would hold a bit more people, maybe 8, max. But the 4 Player hunts are perfect.

Im the opposite, when I play this game it just feels like a big part is missing >.<

Thats how I feel anyway, like something is missing when I play, and that part is the 'mmo' cause it feels to me in all respects like that is what it 'should' be.

Dont want to derail or anything.

Doorman

Your analogy makes it sound like you'd want 15 people all trying to take down the same monster all at once. With the way the combat system works, that would become a clusterfuck of grandiose proportions. Unless you just meant allowing people to party up in the tavern and then go on quests together, which...okay, fine. Exactly what else are you suggesting they do that they don't already?

Im the opposite, when I play this game it just feels like a big part is missing >.<

Thats how I feel anyway, like something is missing when I play, and that part is the 'mmo' cause it feels to me in all respects like that is what it 'should' be.

Fuck MMOs.

Four people is fine. Perfect even.

It needs to be on a console other than the Wii or WiiU.

Then they will get serious traction.

markot

Banned
I mean the towns should be hubs for players to gather and stuff. Lots of players. Like PSO. Then you form parties and go off on adventures and what nots.

I mean the towns should be hubs for players to gather and stuff. Lots of players. Like PSO. Then you form parties and go off on adventures and what nots.
I like the small, personal nature of the rooms. Just me and three friends going out on a hunt. I don't want girls in Kirin armor dancing on tables to ask for gold and crap.

I don't think it's really derailing from the topic.

Anyway, I guess thats what separates it from an MMO. It's not really one.
It's just a Multiplayer Online game. I think the original comment was really just asking for a game similar to Frontier, but didnt realize it's existence. I could be wrong though.

I don't want girls in Kirin armor dancing on tables to ask for gold and crap.
Good thing no one can give that stuff out. And strangely enough, limiting player interaction sort of makes the community get along better since no one has to deal with that shit.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Good grief. I know this is the very beginning and you have to go through all the tutorial stuff but this shit is boring as fuck and it's literally putting me to sleep. Now I have to go hunt a Molid in the water. Hopefully, this picks up soon because I'm not feeling this game so far.

Good grief. I know this is the very beginning and you have to go through all the tutorial stuff but this shit is boring as fuck and it's literally putting me to sleep. Now I have to go hunt a Molid in the water. Hopefully, this picks up soon because I'm not feeling this game so far.

Patience. The payoff is pretty spectacular.

It takes about an hour to get through it, but once you do, it really picks up. You'll soon be big hunts.

Fuck MMOs.

Four people is fine. Perfect even.

It needs to be on a console other than the Wii or WiiU.

Then they will get serious traction.

Monster Hunter was already on the seriously popular PS2 and it didn't really take off anywhere. Building a console-focused MH in this day and age is an exercise of diminishing returns.

Doorman

It's sort of a lose-lose proposition when it comes to Monster Hunter...there's just so much stuff in the game that needs explaining, that going through Tri's early tutorial sections does get to feeling really slow and tedious. On the other hand, if they just thew newcomers in without any of that, they'd probably feel overwhelmed pretty quickly and have no real understanding of what they're doing or how to progress (a la the demo). Either way has the potential to turn people off.

Once you get to the Monster Guts quest and then the Great Jaggi hunt, things will pick up and you're left more to your own devices.

Fewr

I enjoy capturing instead of killing. I'm still very early in the game (still doing HR2 offline missions) what's the most efficient way to get traps and tranqs to capture early in the game, and same question for later. Thanks.

DaBoss

Hahaha, I just had the funniest thing happen to me.

I was farming Rathalos so I can make its armor set. We were in Area 8. So I was dying since it was in rage mode and it was attempting to combo me. So it managed to hit me pretty hard and I was just at the edge of the cliff next to the shortcut to Area 5. Then I was just about to jump off so I could escape and heal myself, but Rathalos does a tail swing and it hits me and knocks me back on to the cliff and then it proceeds to fireball me with correct timing and killed me.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Patience. The payoff is pretty spectacular.

It takes about an hour to get through it, but once you do, it really picks up. You'll soon be big hunts.

That's the thing. This is like my 3rd or 4th MH. I know all of this. I wish they had an option at the beginning that asked your skill level so you could just skim through all the new pertinent info if you're a vet and go through the tutorial if you are new.

Doorman

I enjoy capturing instead of killing. I'm still very early in the game (still doing HR2 offline missions) what's the most efficient way to get traps and tranqs to capture early in the game, and same question for later. Thanks.

Get your farm to build up a little stock of sleep herbs and parashrooms. You can combine those to make tranquilizer, which you then combine with bomb casings (stone + sap plant) for tranq bombs. Alternatively if you don't want to invest that farm-time, you can just buy Tranq from the store that way.

For home-made traps, you have to buy trap tools from the shop and combine it with either a net or a thunderbug. Thunderbugs can be farmed, but they're a pretty high resource cost, you'll mostly be doing a lot of venturing out with your bug net (which also helps to get you spider webs, a component in net-making)

I was actually about to post something related: at what point do you start doing the big hunts? Because on the Wii version, I got as far as the first batch of guild quests, saw that they were pretty much mundane fetch quests, and then never really played the game much after.

However, the 3DS demo has me out hunting big monsters with tons of health, which is actually fun...

Monster Hunter was already on the seriously popular PS2 and it didn't really take off anywhere. Building a console-focused MH in this day and age is an exercise of diminishing returns.

It was on the PS2 at a time when modems on PS2s were still very uncommon and the PS2 version was still very much a multiplayer type of game. In fact the game has not changed all that much from the PS2 version.

It's still slow to get into.

It's still a bit obtuse at times.

As much as I love the game, very little about it has evolved in a number of ways.

Wow, the Lagombi fight is actually pretty fun in the actual game unlike in the demo where I was learning the weapons for the first time.

Peru

I was actually about to post something related: at what point do you start doing the big hunts? Because on the Wii version, I got as far as the first batch of guild quests, saw that they were pretty much mundane fetch quests, and then never really played the game much after.

However, the 3DS demo has me out hunting big monsters with tons of health, which is actually fun...

It's just right after that first batch of quests.

It was on the PS2 at a time when modems on PS2s were still very uncommon and the PS2 version was still very much a multiplayer type of game. In fact the game has not changed all that much from the PS2 version.

It's still slow to get into.

It's still a bit obtuse at times.

As much as I love the game, very little about it has evolved in a number of ways.

I'm interested in MH4 (aside from it being MH), because of how it's going to mix things up.
Climbing on top of monsters will provide for some interesting fights and the seamless world will be pretty cool (I'm right about that, right?).

Peru

I'm interested in MH4 (aside from it being MH), because of how it's going to mix things up.
Climbing on top of monsters will provide for some interesting fights and the seamless world will be pretty cool (I'm right about that, right?).

You're not, no. But the zones have more dynamic and varied geography.

NeoRausch

Monster Hunter: 50% monster hunting, 20% goofing, 20% smart (aka. stupid jokes), 20% disconnecting, 1% CAPCPOM.

111% Monsta Hantin' bliss!

0% real social life....

Same.

I hope they manage to put it on the PS4 and NextBox.

Fewr

Get your farm to build up a little stock of sleep herbs and parashrooms. You can combine those to make tranquilizer, which you then combine with bomb casings (stone + sap plant) for tranq bombs. Alternatively if you don't want to invest that farm-time, you can just buy Tranq from the store that way.

For home-made traps, you have to buy trap tools from the shop and combine it with either a net or a thunderbug. Thunderbugs can be farmed, but they're a pretty high resource cost, you'll mostly be doing a lot of venturing out with your bug net (which also helps to get you spider webs, a component in net-making)
Ah, ok, thanks. I still havent gotten either shroom (just had my first couple of missions in the desert), but normal tranqs from shop are not expensive. I've got plenty of stones, so I'll just look around for sap plants on my farming trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom