• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying out sword and shield against the Great Jaggi and I noticed that I had to re-sharpen my sword every couple combos.

What's up with that?

Beats

Well...Uragaan practically gave away those lava nuggets! I got 6 in one run. Now I can finally finish this armor set :x

Same.

I hope they manage to put it on the PS4 and NextBox.

It's hard to tell where it will go next. Tri was on PS3, but only in Japan and it was just an HD version of P3. Meanwhile there is an Xbox version, but only in asia, and it's an MMO. I can't really tell what Capcom is doing with the franchise sometimes.

Boogiepop

Finally laid the smack down on that damn Duramboros. Bastard kept tunneling away, and then in the middle of the quest I accidentally shrunk my map and didn't figure out how to fix it for a good 5 minutes or so. Felt so good smashing the jerks humps and then finally seeing him go down. The bastard even tail whipped me off the waterfall at one point and I had to swim all the way back around.

Anyway, I finally have a little buddy again! Hooray! (Even if it's not the same one. When do I get Chacha back, by the way? Am I going to be waiting a while?) It also feels kind of cruel that one of the quest that pops up after the Duramboros urgent... is to hunt a Duramboros... in the same location. I guess you won't have Kayamba sitting there being useless, but still. Don't think I'll do that one for a while yet.

DaBoss

Finally laid the smack down on that damn Duramboros. Bastard kept tunneling away, and then in the middle of the quest I accidentally shrunk my map and didn't figure out how to fix it for a good 5 minutes or so. Felt so good smashing the jerks humps and then finally seeing him go down. The bastard even tail whipped me off the waterfall at one point and I had to swim all the way back around.

Anyway, I finally have a little buddy again! Hooray! (Even if it's not the same one. When do I get Chacha back, by the way? Am I going to be waiting a while?) It also feels kind of cruel that one of the quest that pops up after the Duramboros urgent... is to hunt a Duramboros... in the same location. I guess you won't have Kayamba sitting there being useless, but still. Don't think I'll do that one for a while yet.

You're not going to wait too long for Cha-Cha to come back.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hey Guys, Im a huge Souls games fan and i've not tried this series yet. Will this game scratch that Souls itch whilst I wait for DS2?

It's not quite like a Souls game, but it's the closest thing there is to it. Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time and I really love Monster Hunter, so I can at least vouch for it.

To the person who asked about DARK SOULS:

I was wondering the same thing. So far, I've found the answer to be yes, you'll like the game.

Now, it doesn't have the Souls atmosphere (at all). It's very kitschy and quirky, but the combat is weighty and momentum based like Dark Souls, and the gear aspect also reminds me of Skyrim/Souls/Fallout. Basically, if you have a Wii U, you might as well pick it up (I assume you beat ZombiU, right?).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
My friend and I are in lobby but how do we pair up to do a quest? Noob question I know, throw stones while you answer. :)

Fistwell

Good hunts tonight, Euro-GAF. I'm bailing out like a weasel, need my beauty sleep.

My friend and I are in lobby but how do we pair up to do a quest? Noob question I know, throw stones while you answer. :)
One of you creates a room, the other joins it, you post a quest (talk to the chick at the counter with a gong behind it, across from the restaurant), then the other guy picks up the quest from the board, to the left of the quest counter, goes to the gate in the back of the room, and readies up (A, the quest page icon on top of his head will blink). The quest giver then initiates the quest at the gate (press A, then again).

mrgone

I was trying out sword and shield against the Great Jaggi and I noticed that I had to re-sharpen my sword every couple combos.

What's up with that?

Check the sharpness graph on your weapon stats - the top tier of sharpness is probably just a sliver, so it drops down a level after just a few hits, even after it's just been sharpened. I'm running into that with my current hammer, too.

derFeef

My noobish take on this:

Dark Souls is all dark and serious.
Monster Hunter is goofy and funny.

Combat is quite similar - priority on animations, tactical, like if you don't hit you might be fucked. Monster Hunter is much more about loot, farming and preparing for battle. Dark Souls is more on the combat side all the time.

I will never finish Dark Souls and probably never finish MH3U but they are both fantastic games.

Interesting.

The more I read about Frontiers, it seems they take a significant number of risks with that game. Like it's their testing ground for brainstorm'd ideas.

Well, it can make a few risks since it's an MMO rather than just regular multiplayer.

However, the very core of the game is still based upon the PS2 Monster Hunter Dos, both its graphical and gameplay engines. So stuff like significant hitbox improvements and better textures/models introduced in Tri still aren't in Frontier yet, and it's not very likely that they'll ever be.

Jawmuncher

So I'm like ten hours in I'm enjoying it but damn I still feel like a newbie. Even with crafting my own weapons and armor. So many little things that I'm just like "You can do that,"

DaBoss

Someone has to post a quest by talking to the lady at the counter (the one in red). Choose a quest you/your friend want to do.

The other person has to go up to the quest board (that billboard with the notes next to the quest counter). There you press A and then join the quest that you/your friend chose.

Then the person who joined the quest has to go to the place where you set out on a quest and press A to get ready. Then the person who posted quest goes there and presses A and you guys will head out on the quest.

Madouu

Monster Hunter was already on the seriously popular PS2 and it didn't really take off anywhere. Building a console-focused MH in this day and age is an exercise of diminishing returns.

Thanks for the hunt and sorry for the guys that joined later, I have to leave for the night.

Baconbitz

Banned
How do I know if a quest is co-op or not? I keep trying the "guts: it's what's for". dinner mission and keep dying and wish it was co-op so someone could help. Is it?

Peru

How do I know if a quest is co-op or not? I keep trying the "guts: it's what's for". dinner mission and keep dying and wish it was co-op so someone could help. Is it?

All quests you take in the moga village are for soloing.

The "Guts" mission is simply carving defenseless animals, you shouldn't take any damage in it. If it's the big monster (Lagiacrus) doing it you should just stay away from it because you're not meant to take it on that early.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses you two, much appreciated.

Well long story short, I was helping a friend with a quest (killing a Qurupeco to be specific) and we were doing good. All of a sudden it calls for help and I'm like "I got these small fries, no worries" then out from the sky comes a Rathian that puts both of us on notice like we owed it 2 months worth of rent.

I said damn.

Beats

Made a room in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 > "gaf" if anyone wants to join. I'm HR3, but I'm up for anything..

quote for password.

gunstarhero

All quests you take in the moga village are for soloing.

The "Guts" mission is simply carving defenseless animals, you shouldn't take any damage in it. If it's the big monster (Lagiacrus) doing it you should just stay away from it because you're not meant to take it on that early.

Ah - I was wondering the same thing about this mission. Gonna go get me some guts now, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom