• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jercruz

i lol'd when i saw duramboros do the roflcopter the first time. then i proceeded to hammer its head and tail. after KO'ing it in a pitfall i dropped two L+ bombs, out goes the horn. it has some movements from deviljho.

overall a really fun and easy fight.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Had a great time playing with gaf tonight. Ahh Monster Hunter how I love thee.

Ridley327

The rainy weather kept me indoors the whole day today. It was a productive day, to say the least.

Also, I take back every mean thing I've said about Brachydios; he still looks dumb, but fighting him is absolutely unreal.

Ok good to know.
Was seeing if I could run a friend through some missions just me and him but looks like a no go.

Unless you have very weak equipment, you might be surprised what you can run through with two people.

2 or more players mean one is more likely to be in a position to hit that you arent. More monsters flinching giving you openings. Double the amount of traps or bombs you can bring. While the monster do have more health, it is not dramatically so until you get to high rank stuff. HR2 and below monsters are comparable to single player level.

The rainy weather kept me indoors the whole day today. It was a productive day, to say the least.

Also, I take back every mean thing I've said about Brachydios; he still looks dumb, but fighting him is absolutely unreal.

I like his color, but that top horn does look a bit silly. Like you said though, fighting him in rage mode is terrifying at times.

Ridley327

I like his color, but that top horn does look a bit silly. Like you said though, fighting him in rage mode is terrifying at times.

Yeah, it really is something else. A guy I was with was using the hammer you get from his parts, and he was doing some really crazy stuff with it. I guess Slime element can be pretty OP if you know how to use it. It's making me think about going down the Dios path for the Red Wing, rather than sticking it out to continue with the Rath path.

Mupod

HR3 already, can't say I miss Tri's arbitrary grind but man that went fast.

I cleared the low rank village stuff earlier today, might make myself some armor before going online again. But I'll be away for a week starting tuesday so maybe I should get as much online in as I can. It was bad enough I had to wait for the transfer tool.

Jawmuncher

Unless you have very weak equipment, you might be surprised what you can run through with two people.

2 or more players mean one is more likely to be in a position to hit that you arent. More monsters flinching giving you openings. Double the amount of traps or bombs you can bring. While the monster do have more health, it is not dramatically so until you get to high rank stuff. HR2 and below monsters are comparable to single player level.

Oh ok I think I might give it a go then. Will definitely bring traps and bombs though.

Working on my Gobul set now. Two out of five pieces already crafted, and if I could just get a couple of his lanterns I'll be set. I haven't successfully cut one off though. I'm not really sure how to either.

Ultratech

It's getting harder to resist the call...

I'd love to pick up a Wii U and start playing, but I'd probably end up dropping almost $350 by the end of it all.

Monster Hunter was already on the seriously popular PS2 and it didn't really take off anywhere. Building a console-focused MH in this day and age is an exercise of diminishing returns.

Didn't help that we never got the 2nd game (Dos) in English.

I imagine it really would've taken off in the States earlier, but I think the sales of MH1 put Capcom off on localizing.

Such a shame too, since it's a good game (and what Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite are based from).

Tri was a good start, but it was sorely lacking compared to Freedom Unite (well, nobody could expect it to have THAT much content, but it's still pretty bad in comparison to most of the other games).

Ridley327

Working on my Gobul set now. Two out of five pieces already crafted, and if I could just get a couple of his lanterns I'll be set. I haven't successfully cut one off though. I'm not really sure how to either.

All you have to do is damage his lantern enough so that it breaks. Nothing more, nothing less.

So I'm like ten hours in I'm enjoying it but damn I still feel like a newbie. Even with crafting my own weapons and armor. So many little things that I'm just like "You can do that,"

Yea. But it was the same with Elder Scrolls for the first time and with the Souls games.

And then there's fighting underwater...

Mupod

if you use a hammer/HH and KO him, he hangs it down right in front of his face where it's conveniently available. Their super pound hitboxes are nice for hitting the lantern underwater too. I think pitfall traps work as well.

I've been playing this way too much! Although I'm pretty miffed at the RNG drop gods right now. I need 4 Rathian Spikes and I've take down Rathian some 16 times *since seeing I needed 4 for a switch axe* -- I already had 1, but I've only gotten 1 more. I'm determined to get them though, dangit!

DaBoss

I've been playing this way too much! Although I'm pretty miffed at the RNG drop gods right now. I need 4 Rathian Spikes and I've take down Rathian some 16 times *since seeing I needed 4 for a switch axe* -- I already had 1, but I've only gotten 1 more. I'm determined to get them though, dangit!

Cap it. You will have a better chance in the rewards.

So, i just downed the Royal Ludroth with relative ease and I just got the Barroth quest. Anything I should know/do before I jump into it?

Ken

Saw thunder bugs were on sale so I bought 300 and then forgot I needed money for weapons and armor. Whoops.

DaBoss

There really shouldn't ever be a point where you're buying bugs for anything; the farm is by far the easiest way to get more.

Gotta get those resources though.

Speaking of money, do you guys sell your wyverngold, metal eggs, and other valuable things right away? I usually keep them in reserve and sell them when I feel I need to.

ajim

Just beat Arzuros! My first 'new' monster. His HP is way too low, it literally only took about 2 minutes and I was able to capture him.

Oh well. He looks pretty cool at least.

48 minute hunt! Picked [Canteen] Forecast: Lagombi from the solo menu in the second village. I took in some Jaggi dual blades with only a sliver of green for sharpness. Such a horrible mistake. It was a grudge match too because last time I tried, I forgot wet stones and i ran out of battery.

Did I just gear wrong for this fight or are those quests just 4x harder?

Ken

48 minute hunt! Picked [Canteen] Forecast: Lagombi from the solo menu in the second village. I took in some Jaggi dual blades with only a sliver of green for sharpness. Such a horrible mistake. It was a grudge match too because last time I tried, I forgot wet stones and i ran out of battery.

That's for online, multiple people stuff.

A friend explained to me that I can keep my lagombi weapons and just upgrade them into something beastly but with my armor I should get new sets forged

So since this is my first MH, im kind of "stuck"

I have the whole jaggi set of armor which took a while. Should I slowly go through the monsters as an upgrade guide? Like bears was the next big monster so should that be what I build a set from, then quropeco, then woggi (i think thats what they were called) or should I pick something specifically higher?

I've killed up to a gobul but online with people so i'm not sure where to go

should I just finish the SP campaign before I do any more online?

Chronos1 said:
Search for "Arzuros" instead.

Haha, good call -- I'm an idiot. Plans fell through, so I'm fixing to hop on for a good chunk tonight. Keep an eye out for a guy named Davanthom if any of you guys are out there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've finally tried the Wii U and 3DS demos, and I have a few questions about the former since it looks like I'm picking it up (first):
  • Are there any button presses that would spare me using the virtual button and start for "special attacks"? (which is different than R and A+X attacks, right?)
  • I thought the lower framerate was worth the compromise in favor of the controller and hi-def res. But is are demo levels indicative of the full product or does the framerate dip and fluctuate even worse in other levels?
  • For the life of me I don't understand how they'd release this game without mapping anything to the bumpers. Will the patch rectify that? And speaking of which, what will the patch introduce other than off-TV play?

sgjackson

You're undergeared to try that fight solo.

Gotta get those resources though.

Speaking of money, do you guys sell your wyverngold, metal eggs, and other valuable things right away? I usually keep them in reserve and sell them when I feel I need to.
Keep until needed. It helps keep my spending in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom