• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgjackson

Cool. Don't have tons of sharpness issues as I'm using whatever the Lagombi blades are and they last a decent bit at green. Ready to make some new weapons though.

At this point I'm wearing it more for the cowboy aspect than the sharpness aspect. I'm thinking of aiming for Agnaktor next - keeping the sharpness bonus and picking up a fire weapon to benefit from the Fire Attack skill.

I'm finding that Dual Blades don't have enough range for my taste so I'm experimenting with Switch Axes. I kinda dig it, feels like a more aggressive GS. I prefer DS when fighting faster monsters and swap in a switch axe for slower monsters who hit hard, or fights where the longer range is useful.

At this point I'm wearing it more for the cowboy aspect than the sharpness aspect. I'm thinking of aiming for Agnaktor next - keeping the sharpness bonus and picking up a fire weapon to benefit from the Fire Attack skill.

I'm finding that Dual Blades don't have enough range for my taste so I'm experimenting with Switch Axes. I kinda dig it, feels like a more aggressive GS. I prefer DS when fighting faster monsters and swap in a switch axe for slower monsters who hit hard, or fights where the longer range is useful.

I really like the bonuses the Barroth set gives, but I really dislike it aesthetically. I wish the Gobul set wasn't useless for me, because I like the way it looks. I thought the Lagi set might work well with it bonuses, but I'm not sold on it.

In Tri, I was mainly long sword, so I prefer the sustained, fast DPS. I don't might getting up close and personal with the monsters, and generally do well near their belly. I just like being a human quisinart.

A friend explained to me that I can keep my lagombi weapons and just upgrade them into something beastly but with my armor I should get new sets forged

So since this is my first MH, im kind of "stuck"

I have the whole jaggi set of armor which took a while. Should I slowly go through the monsters as an upgrade guide? Like bears was the next big monster so should that be what I build a set from, then quropeco, then woggi (i think thats what they were called) or should I pick something specifically higher?

I too found this tricky as a beginner. A lot of the earlier armor only differs in armor skills and appearance. You just won't see a defense benefit. It's best to look at the armor skills a piece of armor offers and decide whether you want it. For example a full suit of Jaggi gives Attack+. Just pick a full set with something you think will be useful for your build, and then upgrade toward it. Basically though, you're going to need the full set to get the armor skill benefit.

Don't go for a new set with every new big monster. It won't be worth your time as not all armor skills are likely to meet your character build.

Doorman

This game is just a port right? (Talking about the Wii U)

It's essentially a resolution-boosted port of the 3DS game, with the addition of the online networking mode. Game content and controls and so forth all function pretty much the same way, if that's what you were wondering.

Hiltz

This game is just a port right? (Talking about the Wii U)

It's like an enhanced port of the 3DS version, but not what one would consider an actual Wii U quality remake. Wii U version features improved visuals and is considered the better one to have due to the extra features and functionality. You get online play (and cross-region online play between North America and European players), GamePad voice chat support, and Off-TV play. The Wii U version can also play locally with up to three other Nintendo 3DS version players. Lastly, you can play using the GamePad, Wii U Pro Classic Controler or even the Wii Pro Classic Controller.

Was Barroth the recommended "benchmark" to see if it's time for me to go online or not? If so, anyone around there want to quest (it'd be my first time)?

njean777

So I have dual bone scythes and want to know how to get better dual swords? I was told earlier to not bother upgrading them but still have no clue how to get new ones or a different set of dual blades. Also I have the 3ds version, but after hearing the 8-4 play podcast kinda regretting buying that version, is it worth it to get the Wii U version as well?

I havent even gotten Cha-Cha yet so I am still a bit early into the game.

Rasan4eva

Neo Member
Deviljho in 13:13 min. Fun to fight.

5qnIXKR.jpg

Any idea/guesses how well this is selling?
Anecdotal evidence: Out of my group of about 10 friends, 5 own either the Wii U or 3DS version, a couple with both. Another is going to get a 3DS tomorrow and getting this as well. Midnight release at my gamestop was about 60/40 Gears/MonHun, I heard.

So it sounds like it did okay-ish to me, but I think the Wii U/3DS split might make it look like it did worse than it really did.

What kind of gear do I need for the HR2 stuff? I'm still using some junk I bought in the first hour and I'm starting to have trouble with Great Jaggis appearing more frequently

Also, how do I get another pickaxe? I got robbed lol

Krabboss

Deviljho is still a joke. Too easy.

Yeah, kinda. That's how I felt fighting him in Tri after hearing over and over what a pain in the ass he is. The monster I probably had the most trouble with in Tri was fucking Uragaan because I kept hitting his chin with my Lance. Eventually really easy, but the first couple times...

Speaking of easy, did they rebuff Barioth in Ultimate? He was made a lot easier in P3rd in comparison to Tri. Tigrex and Nargacuga felt like the were toned down in terms of mobility too from FU.

LtOrange

Qurupeco is annoying me to no end. I have no idea why but I can't seem to hit it without bouncing off of his armor. Thinking about trying out something different than dual blades for the fight.

Qurupeco is annoying me to no end. I have no idea why but I can't seem to hit it without bouncing off of his armor. Thinking about trying out something different than dual blades for the fight.
Try and find something with a higher sharpness, the flint on his wings can only be cut by something with green sharpness, IIRC. Hammer might be better, hammer users could chime in on that I guess, I have no clue.

Madouu

lobby is up if anybody wants to do some HR1 quests, else I'll see if I can solo them :p

Yeah like it has been said keep your blades sharpened, what dual blades are you using? I can down him fine with the Jaggi ones (upgraded once)

tenchir

Farmed enough Pink Rathians to make a Rath Heart set. Now I need to upgrade my weapons, unfortunately I can't get the mats required until I get to HR5.

Hiltz

Was Barroth the recommended "benchmark" to see if it's time for me to go online or not? If so, anyone around there want to quest (it'd be my first time)?

Barroth kind of teaches players the importance of evasive action more so than the other early boss monsters. At least this was the case in MH Tri.

- Running Head butt

Barroth's main attack will show him lowering his head while quickly focusing on a player to run into. Obviously, never stand in front of his face when he's about to peform this attack or you'll get trampled, and never try to play chicken with Barroth by running across his charge path, he's the faster runner! There's not much you can do when he's doing this attack unless you're a lance user, in which case you can simultaneously block with your shield while safely attacking with the lance. Of course, don't block if you're stamina is too low otherwise Barroth will manage to hit you.

If you are being targeted by Barroth, then prepare to either block this attack, run out of the way (preferably with your weapon not out), or side-step/ roll out of the way (though this is not really a good solution for players new to the series since dodging correctly takes skill to master, but it's signicantly easier to do if you happen to have an evasion-based armor skill. When it comes to running, you can perform a useful way to dodge called a "superman" dive, but it requires that you do not have your weapon out. This evasive move is simple to do compared to the difficulty of learning how to using a roll or side-step dodge. However, the recovery time is a bit slow. You'll briefly be left vunerable once you're about to lift yourself off of the ground to get back up from having performed the dodge animation. Lastly, you can try to trick Barroth into being lured into a shocktrap or pitball trap by standing on one side of the trap while waiting for Barroth to run into it. Barroth has some clever little attacks, but he's still a stupid animal. This is a good opportunity to set up bombs if he's caught in a pitfall trap or hit the tail if he's in a shocktrap.

- Tail swing # 1

Barroth will stand in one place and proceed to swing his body around twice. His tail will swing by and knock down anyone close enough to it. It's best not to approach him while doing this attack unless you want to block the attack or dodge it while trying to quickly hit him.

- Tail swing # 2

After Barroth performs his running head butt attack, he'll swing his tail to one side of his body. Don't try to run up to Barroth from behind right after he has performed his head butt because Barroth will be ready to slap you with his tail. Even veteran players can have a bad habit of thinking they can approach Barroth during that time, but Barroth will teach you a lesson.

- Mud Fling

Barroth likes to shake his head which throws off balls of mud into the air. It's easy to get hit by one of these, and if you're caught, then you will be unable to use your weapon, run, or any items except one that can allow you to break out of the mud ball. The only other ways to free yourself from the mudball is to keep rolling around on the ground, quickly move the analog sticks around, or have a team mate use the kick gesture animation to hit you with. If you' wan to attack him, then it is best to try to be near his back.

Player tips: Barroth's tail gets in the way so focus on cutting it off first if you have a blade-based weapon. Now Barroth's only a real threat due to his running head butt attack. Lastly, Barroth is weak to fire-based elemental weapons but weak to water-based elemental weapons while he is covered in mud.

HR3 Pink Rathian took like 15 minutes with my Breath Core Hammer. She has some cool new moves that will probably catch some people off guard at times. Her neck bite with the fire breath has some range.

High/G-rank is definitely where it's at if you want long drawn-out battles against a Wyvern.

Korezo

I made it to HR5 with HR2 gear.. In every battle I would almost die with 2 or 3 hits. I had to have wasted 1000s of potions. This game does not want me to get gear, I farm like crazy and can never get plate,ruby, or gem drops.. Rathols why you no give me your plate?. And barchydios why you no give me your gem?

Fistwell

Played till 3AM. Cat wakes me up way too early. I discover he's weak to element Foot Up The Ass, like most every felynes. I can only speculate he's a subspecie.

HR3 Pink Rathian took like 15 minutes with my Breath Core Hammer. She has some cool new moves that will probably catch some people off guard at times. Her neck bite with the fire breath has some range.

High/G-rank is definitely where it's at if you want long drawn-out battles against a Wyvern.
Good to know, she took me a good 25mins with a low-rank lightning LS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom