• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which path appeals to you the most?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66692

The Sandpipe > Agnaktor HH looks pretty good.

Kind of a beginner to the series, spent a lot of time with FU2 but mostly just upgraded randomly whereas this time I'm trying to learn the systems a bit more. But as such that list is a bit foreign to me. Like the simple Health, Defense, Attack boosts of the RWB notes I have now but I'm sure some of the others are more interesting.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of you guys use the circle pad pro for the 3DS version?

Does it work well? Am considering getting one just for this game

Raide

Any tips on the Bow? Wanted to try something new for Tri-U and it feels really clunky. Aiming is a pain in the ass! :D

Also, how do I add my NNID to the list? Want to play with some Euro peeps this afternoon!

ramyeon

Okay, I caved. Just pulled the trigger on a basic Wii U for this. Should have that and my 3DS version of the game arriving tomorrow. Ready to play already :D

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
*Cough cough*

I've finally tried the Wii U and 3DS demos, and I have a few questions about the former since it looks like I'm picking it up (first):
  • Are there any button presses that would spare me using the virtual button and start for "special attacks"? (which is different than R and A+X attacks, right?)
  • I thought the lower framerate was worth the compromise in favor of the controller and hi-def res. But is are demo levels indicative of the full product or does the framerate dip and fluctuate even worse in other levels?
  • For the life of me I don't understand how they'd release this game without mapping anything to the bumpers. Will the patch rectify that? And speaking of which, what will the patch introduce other than off-TV play?

Fistwell

I've finally tried the Wii U and 3DS demos, and I have a few questions about the former since it looks like I'm picking it up (first):
  • Are there any button presses that would spare me using the virtual button and start for "special attacks"? (which is different than R and A+X attacks, right?)
  • I thought the lower framerate was worth the compromise in favor of the controller and hi-def res. But is are demo levels indicative of the full product or does the framerate dip and fluctuate even worse in other levels?
  • For the life of me I don't understand how they'd release this game without mapping anything to the bumpers. Will the patch rectify that? And speaking of which, what will the patch introduce other than off-TV play?
- I don't understand what is this virtual button for special attack, details?

- It gets a little bad in a few secific areas, but the demo is pretty representative overall.

- patch will add cross play between glorious Euro-GAF and our NA friends.

I think we'll know next week, But I'm hoping it sold well.

anecdotal evidence: when i went to pick up my 3ds copy somebody else came in and tried to buy one and they were out of stock. This is afternoon of launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they only got a handful in though.

edit:

It also has a right stick.

Though it's easy enough to just re-center a bunch.

my 3ds version has a right stick too! It's glorious. Most comfortable portable MH yet.

You guys move fast. Already at high rank and shit.

Getting through the ranks in this one is much quicker than Tri. Thank god.
It was just a grind fest online in tri, but it really separated those from the newbs and the hardcore.

Not to say I was hardcore or anything. I wasnt. I couldnt devote the time the game asked for.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
- I don't understand what is this virtual button for special attack, details?

- It gets a little bad in a few secific areas, but the demo is pretty representative overall.

- patch will add cross play between glorious Euro-GAF and our NA friends.

Thanks for the answer. As for the special attack button I was referring to, it's the one that looks like this (from the 3DS menu, upper right corner):

Monster_Hunter_3_Ultimate_DS_WiiU_16.jpg

Raxious

So, anyone else from Europe that keeps getting error 102-2128 whenever I want to go online? From what I can tell it means the services aren't working.

So I just started playing this game on the Wii U today. I got through all the 1 star quests in single player, then went into online multiplayer to check it out, it got a little confusing.

Should I redo 1 star quests online (either on my own or in a party) to raise my Rank? I'm not really sure how it all works.

Ken

So I just started playing this game on the Wii U today. I got through all the 1 star quests in single player, then went into online multiplayer to check it out, it got a little confusing.

Should I redo 1 star quests online (either on my own or in a party) to raise my Rank? I'm not really sure how it all works.

Every HR has x amount of quests labeled as key quests (look up the wiki for which are key). Complete these and you unlock urgent quest. Hosting and completing that urgent quest will promote you to next HR.

If you have a decent grasp of the combat, multiplayer is where a lot of the fun is. I'd just stick with online since having others help you kill stuff will make obtaining new gear, weapons, and learning stuff less tedious.

Village (offline) and Guild (solo/multi) quests are separate in progress.

Every HR has x amount of quests labeled as key quests (look up the wiki for which are key). Complete these and you unlock urgent quest. Hosting and completing that urgent quest will promote you to next HR.

If you have a decent grasp of the combat, multiplayer is where a lot of the fun is. I'd just stick with online since having others help you kill stuff will make obtaining new gear, weapons, and learning stuff less tedious.

Wolf Akela said:
Village (offline) and Guild (solo/multi) quests are separate in progress.

Ah ok, thanks guys, I guess I'll stick to playing online as much as I can then.

Seriously? I wanted to enjoy a nice relaxing few hours of online hunting and my WiiU decides to stop going online. So annoying. I hope this shit resolves itself as I finally want to play with some of you fine people here. Damn.

Kouriozan

Ok, after wasting 7 hours, charm farming in the flooded forest to check what table you have don't work.
Gonna unlock the volcano aera and farm there >.<

nubbe

I wish they would release the Off-screen play already so I wouldn't need to transfer to the 3DS when I go to the bathroom >_<

MarkusRJR

Holy shit I am terrible at this game. I have played nearly 10 hours so far and I feel just as terrible now. Also those tutorial missions were fucking looooong.

Seriously? I wanted to enjoy a nice relaxing few hours of online hunting and my WiiU decides to stop going online. So annoying. I hope this shit resolves itself as I finally want to play with some of you fine people here. Damn.
At least you haven't had a hard lock playing yet. It's happened twice and I lost decent amounts of progress. Such BS.

Fistwell

Thanks for the answer. As for the special attack button I was referring to, it's the one that looks like this (from the 3DS menu, upper right corner):

Monster_Hunter_3_Ultimate_DS_WiiU_16.jpg
My pleasure. For the special attack, I'm not sure what it does, only messed with the 3DS demo a little bit, 'm gonna guess it's like the + button (lance charge, GS kick). Dunno if you can remap that, sry!

Ok, after wasting 7 hours, charm farming in the flooded forest to check what table you have don't work.
Gonna unlock the volcano aera and farm there >.<
Stop worrying about it and come hang out with Euro GAF online! :D

Gamble

I forgot how addicting this game can be and playing it on a console for the first time lost my whole day yesterday lol me and a buddy ran through the HR 1 quest and I even did the bonus event quest from the eshop which had chuckle worth terms.....and then we get to Lagi......who crushed our dreams for the evening so I logged off and played legend of dragoon the rest of the night :-(

Forkball

I kind of want to check this series out but part of me wants to just wait until MH4. Is the content on the 3DS and Wii U versions exactly the same?

Haunted

Yeah, wanted to play with a friend and neither of us could connect. Annoying.

Going to hunt some more offline for now.

Doczu

Oh god I can't wait any longer. I asked my buddy to buy the game in Germany and told him he could play it on his 3DS on the way to Poland. Now he spams me with messages how he was wrong about the game, and that the demo was not an indication of how awesome it is. Why does he do that. He didn't like it. He didn't want to play it. Now he tortures me :(

NeoRausch

Oh god I can't wait any longer. I asked my buddy to buy the game in Germany and told him he could play it on his 3DS on the way to Poland. Now he spams me with messages how he was wrong about the game, and that the demo was not an indication of how awesome it is. Why does he do that. He didn't like it. He didn't want to play it. Now he tortures me :(

ahahaha! Your fault!

at this rate you can buy another copy asap.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Holy shit, the underwater battles are horrendous on the Wii U; unlike land battles, there's no sense of depth or perspective whatsoever. Any tips to how to take them on, aside from "buy the 3DS version and crank up the 3D"? I'm new to the Tri chapter.

jwhit28

I tried to go into this with an open mind for what weapon I will choose but I just keep falling back to my Great Sword safety zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom