• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satch

Banned
gigginox was really hard for me :/

if i hadn't had the wroggi set i would have been demolished even more... i never carted but there were a lot of close calls

Same here, new to the game.

I killed the Great Jaggi and was running low on potions, so I thought after the quest I would chill and farm some herbs in the woods, while minding my own business the music kicked in and one spawned!, killed him bit it was close hehe.

Well I've played this game for 10 hours now, literally only just killed my first Great Jaggi. I've spent ages reading wikis/forums and watching videos and it's finally starting to click. Tried online earlier for about 5 minutes, can't wait till I master the game some more to jump in.
As totally new players, I'm curious: how easy was Great Jaggi for you? There's a lot of talk about how nerfed the game is, but it's all coming from people who spent 100+ hours beating the crap out of that guy a year ago, so it doesn't mean much. I'm curious how you both found the fight to be. Did you cart at all? Use up a lot of potions? How long did it take? Etc.

gigginox was really hard for me :/

if i hadn't had the wroggi set i would have been demolished even more... i never carted but there were a lot of close calls

I just killed him too, Wroggi set is a must, but even then the fight was a massive pain in the ass. I didn't faint either, but damn did I use a lot of potions. I can see that fight being significantly easier as a gunner though. But it's probably still a pain in the ass.

Not a fun fight at all.

As totally new players, I'm curious: how easy was Great Jaggi for you? There's a lot of talk about how nerfed the game is, but it's all coming from people who spent 100+ hours beating the crap out of that guy a year ago, so it doesn't mean much. I'm curious how you both found the fight to be. Did you cart at all? Use up a lot of potions? How long did it take? Etc.

The only one that has given me any trouble so far is Qurupeco. Great Jaggi was a breeze and Barroth was a breeze. Although, I hear the big fish (starts with a G) is tougher than barroth.

DaBoss

I just killed him too, Wroggi set is a must, but even then the fight was a massive pain in the ass. I didn't faint either, but damn did I use a lot of potions. I can see that fight being significantly easier as a gunner though. But it's probably still a pain in the ass.

Not a fun fight at all.

Yea, they made Gigginox harder than it was in Tri. It was really annoying in MH3U.

The only one that has given me any trouble so far is Qurupeco. Great Jaggi was a breeze and Barroth was a breeze. Although, I hear the big fish (starts with a G) is tougher than barroth.

Gobul is harder probably because it is the first underwater-focused battle.

You guys hear about Phil Fish (Fez creator) blasting the 3ds version of this game? (also a bit of port begging)

Though he is a pretty crass person in general (especially on twitter)

bitoriginal

I'd run through the desert first and lost half my health due to thirst. So I'd wasted some potions before I even found the jaggi. I found it to be moderately challenging, think I had one potion left at the end. It wasn't particularly hard though thanks to the target camera. Just kept pressing left bumper and dodging. It felt like a great introduction to hunting big monsters though.

DaBoss

You guys hear about Phil Fish (Fez creator) blasting the 3ds version of this game? (also a bit of port begging)

Though he is a pretty crass person in general (especially on twitter)

He didn't necessarily blast it. He said it was hard to play the game on the 3DS without a CPP. Everything after was just pointless rant with frustration with poor wording.

Could have been me? I was on with some GAFers using Hunting Horn a while ago.

Hunting Horn does damage, even while playing notes for a boost. It also has some good vertical reach, allowing you to KO some tall monsters where the Hammer couldn't reach. Hammer is generally a better damage dealing weapon though, which is why I love the Poison Hunting Horn so much.

Are you Brad?

Orayn

Complaints about controls on 3DS are not unfounded, but I think the touchscreen d-pad is pretty serviceable if you spend some time tweaking the size and position. Target cam also helps immensely.

Neo C.

Much respect if you do, I never could get into that style of play.

Would make you a welcome addition to most parties, I'd wager. Not a lot of support people going around.

Support play is definitely more prevalent in Ultimate than in Tri. I've seen people playing horn and bow, I regularly play crossbow.

persongr

Yeah, G
obul
is a massive bitch. The trick with the frog, though, helps a lot.

Mupod

Grr, just need 1 sharqskin. Does "ludroth breeding" always mean sharqs won't appear, or is there somewhere else I can find them?

You could go to the gathering quest from the counter.

Anyways I just did the village urgent Plesioth and thought I'd compensate for my crappy weapon by bringing every item imaginable. Armorskin/demondrug, traps and stuff to make more, max potions, frogs, flashbombs, you name it. And then I started fighting and realized I forgot mega potions. And then I fought some more and realized I forgot whetstones.

Still beat him handily thanks to all my practice in the demo. Now I just need to get past this dual volvidon mission, make a heavy bagpipe+ with their carapaces, and then get a couple barroth ridges so I can fight Jhen. After that I can use his blood to turn my rusted hammer into something awesome.

...I'd like to keep using hunting horns, there just aren't any good ones I can get easily right now. Feels like they have the hardest drop requirements to make or at least on par with longswords. On top of that, they're more elemental dependent than hammers and if they have bad notes they're no good.

...I'd like to keep using hunting horns, there just aren't any good ones I can get easily right now. Feels like they have the hardest drop requirements to make or at least on par with longswords. On top of that, they're more elemental dependent than hammers and if they have bad notes they're no good.

The one you were using earlier was pretty good. That Dios bell?
But yeah, they are a little bit of a pain to make.

Boogiepop

You could go to the gathering quest from the counter.

Anyways I just did the village urgent Plesioth and thought I'd compensate for my crappy weapon by bringing every item imaginable. Armorskin/demondrug, traps and stuff to make more, max potions, frogs, flashbombs, you name it. And then I started fighting and realized I forgot mega potions. And then I fought some more and realized I forgot whetstones.

Still beat him handily thanks to all my practice in the demo. Now I just need to get past this dual volvidon mission, make a heavy bagpipe+ with their carapaces, and then get a couple barroth ridges so I can fight Jhen. After that I can use his blood to turn my rusted hammer into something awesome.

Yeah, that did the trick, thanks. So yeah, I got myself some dual chainsaws, beat down the anteater/armadillo fellow in the volcano, and I finished the ancient mask (+got Chacha back!) I have to put the game down now till Friday, but I'd imagine I'll be able to get to Cadeus before too much longer!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I started up a room in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 called Nibel GAF. I need to hunt one more Nibelsnarf for another damn claw. I'm more than happy to do whatever else afterwards.

Just curious - has anyone tried the tunneling app yet?

Yes. And it's a damn shame only one 3DS at a time can connect through it.

Ken

I started up a room in Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 called Nibel GAF. I need to hunt one more Nibelsnarf for another damn claw. I'm more than happy to do whatever else afterwards.

Can you explain the steps to getting the 3DS connected?

Fistwell

So I was all kicking ass and taking names then things took a turn for the lol. Had not gotten carted yet... raging brachy carted me not once but twice. Came to the conclusion my armor must be weak to the bs-s'plosion-v'rywhere element. ;_;

lol I want nothing to do with raging brachy. The only thing good about raging brachy is now I aint scared of non-raging brachy. Hell, non-raging brachy is kind of a wimp with shit-weak ankles. Spent as much time on his back as on his feet.

Oh well, cap'd him, on to zinogre.

What's the best source of income in this game? I was thinking about building up a couple different weapon types, but that seems pretty costly early on. I played lance, s&s, and long sword in Tri, but I'd definitely like to branch out.

Do you just use a Wii compatible LAN adapter? I'm thinking about running out to purchase one this afternoon. I'm in a house with a wife and daughter and it's rare that I get exclusive access to the TV. This could be a nice stopgap to play online until Wii U offscreen play comes out.

Also - another question. Does it just connect via a Wi-fi network? I'd like to play this in bed on my 3DS, but I'm wondering if I'd have trouble considering my Wii U controller connection won't reach from the living room to the bedroom (it's just barely out of range).

Ridley327

What does Affinity mean? If a weapon has -10% affinity, what does it affect?

Affinity is the game's critical damage modifier. If you have positive affinity, the weapon's damage during critical hits will be greater by 25%. Conversely, negative affinity means that a weapon can actually do 25% less damage during criticals.

Mupod

What does Affinity mean? If a weapon has -10% affinity, what does it affect?

affinity is a chance to do + or - 25% extra raw damage on hit. Basically 'critical hits', they show up as a bright (positive) or dark (negative) flash when you hit.

Not the best skill in the world but it's nice when you got it. And annoying when you're expecting a stagger and you get a negative crit.

The heavy bagpipe I just made has -10% which shouldn't annoy me too much.

Abandond

So when do I get companions like Cha-Cha?

Once you get an urgent quest to save someone.

I have no idea what armor to start farming for.

Is it supposed to be that every helmet except for the leather one has nothing but auto-guard?

Edit: Nevermind, not sure what I was looking at.

L Thammy

What's the best source of income in this game? I was thinking about building up a couple different weapon types, but that seems pretty costly early on. I played lance, s&s, and long sword in Tri, but I'd definitely like to branch out.

I think selling stuff you don't expect to use is a decent source, but it's risky. If you don't use a whole bunch of items, you could also sell stuff that you get from farming or fishing.

It seems like I've got two of my buddies hooked on this game. I'm proud of them. :)
One of them's using DS, the other is still playing with everything to see what he likes.

Is there a resource online somewhere where I can just search for an item i need and find out where/how to get it?

It seems the item page on the wiki has been deleted...

Raide

Great Jaggi nearly killed me. Damn the bow is tricky to use but i have to keep going!

azuros(bear thing?) is pretty easy but i kinda like the way they mixed the encounters up a bit.

Santiako

You have a 10% chance of doing 25% less damage with your weapon. AKA, don't use weapons with bad affinity unless you can cancel them out with skills.

Affinity is the game's critical damage modifier. If you have positive affinity, the weapon's damage during critical hits will be greater by 25%. Conversely, negative affinity means that a weapon can actually do 25% less damage during criticals.

affinity is a chance to do + or - 25% extra raw damage on hit. Basically 'critical hits', they show up as a bright (positive) or dark (negative) flash when you hit.

Not the best skill in the world but it's nice when you got it. And annoying when you're expecting a stagger and you get a negative crit.

The heavy bagpipe I just made has -10% which shouldn't annoy me too much.

Thanks, I had no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom