• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Dammit, unlocked village Jhen but he destroyed the boat at 1 minute 30 seconds remaining. He did something I'd never seen before, moved over to a side where the dragonator couldn't hit him and spammed his side to side attack. I thought all he used in that phase was the bellyflop?

I think I can do better this time, I won't waste any ballista shots.

Is it bad that this game has become my second life? I have had my Wii U on for 3 days straight with this in the background. Standing in Moga Village is the most relaxing thing imaginable.

This game is absolutely incredible

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is it bad that this game has become my second life? I have had my Wii U on for 3 days straight with this in the background. Standing in Moga Village is the most relaxing thing imaginable.

Just wait until we can play just on the Game Pad.

Haunted

My WiiU has become the Monster Hunter box for the foreseeable future.

And I mean that in the best possible way.

I like how this thread is consistently near the top of Gaming Discussion. The game is keeping me from my LEGO City sessions which I didn't really expect.

bon

I finally caved and am playing my first Monster Hunter.
First impression: holy crap these text boxes are small what the hell.

Baconbitz

Banned
Goddamn. "Guts: it's what's for dinner" quest was a bitch. Had to keep going between 10 and 11 when I'd hear the music in the map because of the monster. Finally, I beat it though.

Orayn

I finally caved and am playing my first Monster Hunter.
First impression: holy crap these text boxes are small what the hell.

3DS has one of the ugliest fonts ever. Wii U has microscopic text. THE CAPCOM READABILITY CURSE!

oldskool

Best way to get Bnahabra shells? Do I just wait for an outbreak on the starting area and bring poison bombs?

Go on the 3 star quest where you have to kill 12 Bnahabra and bring poison bombs. You can get them via carves and as rewards. Good luck if you need wings!

Okay guys, been having a lot of fun with the game. Just had two brief questions.

Should I be worried about charm tables? The fishmonger woman has given me two trips worth of fish that I was supposed to enter into a table, but the site is down. Will the charm table negatively affect my game, or should I not worry?

Secondly, I find hitting the monsters can be a bit difficult, like simply making contact with them. Is this something I can improve, work on, or do I simply have to learn how to step in closer to the monsters and treat this game differently than "sticky combat" games, where there is a degree of gravitational pull toward enemies or more added assistance in making contact?

Thanks Mon Hun bros!

Mileena

Banned
I just had to force myself to get off. Been playing for 7 hours. Wii U existence validated, thank you Capgods.

If we had offTV now I'd just go play in bed.

3DS has one of the ugliest fonts ever. Wii U has microscopic text. THE CAPCOM READABILITY CURSE!

The weirdest part about the 3DS version is that there seems to be two separate fonts used. Every now and then the text is crisp and completely legible. Baffled.

The weirdest part about the 3DS version is that there seems to be two separate fonts used. Every now and then the text is crisp and completely legible. Baffled.

Theres some shenanigans defoes; it seems to only format well at the lowest 3D (not 3D off); literally loses pixels on an 'I' if I was in anything above low 3D or out of 3D.

Bizzare.

You should never really cash in stuff like that. If you hunt online, you will have dozens of scales and easily obtainable parts from big monsters that you can sell for hundreds each. Focus on those.

Is local co-op a good source as well? Since that is the only way available on the 3DS it is what the girl and I will be doing. Bought 2 copies today and are both new to the MH so any advice is welcome.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm kind of stuck until these Charm Tables come back up. I really do not want to progress my character if I am stuck with a "cursed" charm table. I would really like to hear Capcom's rationale behind including bad charm tables instead of good, but different charm tables across the board.

Kyzon

Any US gaf rooms open right now?
After a bunch of trial and error, I think I'm ready to take this sword and shield online.

Chunky

Some items are Rare1, Rare2 etc Is the higher number the most rare ?

Should be fairly self-explanatory-
Rare 1 : Stone, available everywhere.
Rare4: Jewel from the left tear duct of a menstruating Lagiacrus, only obtainable when you're not bothered about it.

I'm scared to look at my playtime. I think I'm well above 50h now.

UPDATE!

Nargacuga - MAJESTIC I want his armor and weapons, I don't even care about skills!

Sand Barioth - Hardest monster so far, he's strong AND deadly. Be careful guys! #_#

Should be fairly self-explanatory-
Rare 1 : Stone, available everywhere.
Rare4: Jewel from the left tear duct of a menstruating Lagiacrus, only obtainable when you're not bothered about it.

Hahaha. True, but for whatever reason I constantly mine Iron Ore and it has a 4 Rarity. It baffles me.

Orayn

What am I supposed to be doing with these cats that are in every level?

The Siamese-colored ones that walk around with tools are Felynes, they don't do anything but they'll attack you if you attack them. The dark ones with paw-on-a-stick weapons are Melynx, and they'll attack you and steal things from your inventory. If you have Felvine, they'll always steal that first.

Captured my first monster!

But is there an easier way to get monsters to your traps? It seems like it'll be annoying trying to rush ahead of a limping monster to lay down your trap in time and shit like that.

persongr

But is there an easier way to get monsters to your traps? It seems like it'll be annoying trying to rush ahead of a limping monster to lay down your trap in time and shit like that.

You don't have to outrun it while it's limbing. I usually place traps in the next area they enter after i cripple them. Even if they fall asleep, I set up a shock trap and after two tranq. bombs they get captured.

edit: and in a related note, I once crippled a Qurupeco and managed to place a trap ahead of it. The damned thing lift off just before hitting the trap's area of effect. And I didn't have a spare trap. The fury!

Beats

Well, you don't have to trap it while it's limping. It's usually better to wait till it goes to another area and then set up a trap there.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You don't have to outrun it while it's limbing. I usually place traps in the next area they enter after i cripple them. Even if they fall asleep, I set up a shock trap and after two tranq. bombs they get captured.

Awesome, I didn't know traps would remain in other areas like that. Good to know!

Whats the best control method for this game?

I haven't spent any time on the Wii U since it come out until now and I find it hard to get used to the button placement below the right analog stick on the gamepad itself

The battery life on the gamepad really blows too I mean seriously mine lasted for like 3 hours after full charge?!

Also the Wii u took 6 hours to download this game from the eShop and another 1 hour to install the game and then another 20 minutes to install all the game updates. Thats most of my sunday gone and I was hoping to play this game more...This is 2013 and the Nintendo reacts like it just come out of the dialup era.

Anyway is the Wii U Pro controller a good option?

Whats the best control method for this game?

I haven't spent any time on the Wii U since it come out until now and I find it hard to get used to the button placement below the right analog stick on the gamepad itself

The battery life on the gamepad really blows too I mean seriously mine lasted for like 3 hours after full charge?!

Also the Wii u took 6 hours to download this game from the eShop and another 1 hour to install the game and then another 20 minutes to install all the game updates. Thats most of my sunday gone and I was hoping to play this game more...This is 2013 and the Nintendo reacts like it just come out of the dialup era.

Anyway is the Wii U Pro controller a good option?

Yes, this is essentially me:

jbdNv909F7eby2.jpg

Sanic

The Siamese-colored ones that walk around with tools are Felynes, they don't do anything but they'll attack you if you attack them. The dark ones with paw-on-a-stick weapons are Melynx, and they'll attack you and steal things from your inventory. If you have Felvine, they'll always steal that first.

Cool, thanks. I didn't know if they served some greater purpose I was missing out on, but I guess not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom