• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondriaan

Anyway is the Wii U Pro controller a good option?
Just my opinion, but you should look for a wiimote, a classic controller pro, and a recharger with 4 AA rechargeable batteries so that you can keep one set of batteries charging and the other set in your wiimote (I leave all 4 batteries in the charger when I'm not playing). It's the best control scheme available for Tri Ultimate.

[edit]If you don't like the gamepad, I'm not sure why the Wii u pro controller would be much better given that the buttons and stick placement are so similar.

Just my opinion, but you should look for a wiimote, a classic controller pro, and a recharger with 4 AA rechargeable batteries so that you can keep one set of batteries charging and the other set in your wiimote (I leave all 4 batteries in the charger when I'm not playing). It's the best control scheme available for Tri Ultimate.

[edit]If you don't like the gamepad, I'm not sure why the Wii u pro controller would be much better given that the buttons and stick placement are so similar.

You're right I didn't know the Wii U Pro Controller had button placements the same as the gamepad. I've ordered the Classic Wii Controller Pro which is much better. I used it to play Xenoblade all the way through last year (but sold the Wii a while back together with that controller lol).

Ken

I'm scared to look at my playtime. I think I'm well above 50h now.

UPDATE!

Nargacuga - MAJESTIC I want his armor and weapons, I don't even care about skills!

Sand Barioth - Hardest monster so far, he's strong AND deadly. Be careful guys! #_#

Just did S. Barioth and B. Diablos. They were both kind of easy?

Anteo

So I played 4-man local multi today. SO MUCH FUN. We fought the Lagombi and later tried the Bird that summons a dragon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ugh I can never seem to trap the Great Jaggi. His bobbing walk combined with how most of the time he only moves like 20 feet makes it so difficult to tell when he's limping

Eusis

Anyway is the Wii U Pro controller a good option?
It's pretty much convinced me that symmetrical sticks are THE best way to go for controller design, on top or on the bottom it just works best. Though it helps the Pro Controller has a great D-Pad too.

Might be a bitch for anyone who was in the habit of using the Claw to still manipulate the camera while keeping their right thumb on the action buttons though, but the pseudo lock on helps and you might be able to figure out how to used to doing it with the right index finger rather than the left given the right stick's just emulating the D-pad anyway. Try it in the menus!

Yes, this is essentially me:

jbdNv909F7eby2.jpg

Same here. All I keep on the TV is my health and items.

Beelzebub

Best way to get Bnahabra shells? Do I just wait for an outbreak on the starting area and bring poison bombs?

Yep, farm them. make lots of poison bombs, bring them on outbreaks or when you get to I think the 2 star level(iirc) quests there's a slay 12 bnahabra quest that will be the most helpful.

NeoRausch

Yes, this is essentially me:

jbdNv909F7eby2.jpg
hey, my setup (+ wireless USB Keyboard)!

the pro is awesome. and the battery life..... unbelievable!

played maaaaany hours of zen pinball 2 and around 50 hrs. MonHun. still two bars left. they weren't really lying about those 80 hours.

while i go to sleep now I copy my game over to the system memory.
I wanna see if there are really some improvments in the lead times after that.

Beelzebub

haha holy shit... doing the crimson peco quest solo right now and the pink rathian appeared and broke one of his wings while I was dodging around them...then he just blew peco the fuck up with a blast of wyvern fire trying to get me, broke his beak and had him on the floor stunned lmao so good

Ugh I can never seem to trap the Great Jaggi. His bobbing walk combined with how most of the time he only moves like 20 feet makes it so difficult to tell when he's limping

He does pretty major li.ping when you knew what to look for. But there's no point wasting traps trying to cap monsters on the move. They all have a particular location they'll rest in when injured. Follow at a zones distance and give them time to go to sleep (if you have detect or auto tracker the icon will turn blue) then just stroll in and whack a trap down on top of them.As a bonus you'll now be so close it's almost impossible to moss with tranqs.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BULL FUCKING SHIT

He was not limping or drooling when suddenly my blow knocks him dead

He does pretty major li.ping when you knew what to look for. But there's no point wasting traps trying to cap monsters on the move. They all have a particular location they'll rest in when injured. Follow at a zones distance and give them time to go to sleep (if you have detect or auto tracker the icon will turn blue) then just stroll in and whack a trap down on top of them.As a bonus you'll now be so close it's almost impossible to moss with tranqs.
Tried that, but he sleeps with other Jaggi's all around him, and either they knock into me making it impossible to place the trap or else killing them all takes enough time/makes enough noise that he wakes up

Orayn

BULL FUCKING SHIT

Yeah, monster HP totals are kind of low in MH3U, and monsters that are enraged (due to bombs or attacking them at certain times) won't show signs of being near death. There are armor sets that give you an indication as soon as a monster can be captured, but apart from that you just have to get a feel for how much it takes to kill them, then back off and wait for them to limp to another area.

Hey is anyone else having trouble with the map on the Wii U version? They have shrunk it down so much it has become useless! I can barely see where the exits are and it's almost impossible to make out player arrows (especially the red one). If I increase the size it becomes too big and I can't see where on the map other players are etc.

Honestly how can they let this sort of crap through testing? I have a 42" tv and sit approx 3-4 meters away. I have no problem with any other aspect of the visuals/text except the goddamn map (which I rely on for all the quests)! Why the hell did they change it from Tri?!? This is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen in a game!

I don't want to put the map on the gamepad because I don't want to look down when in combat - infact I don't even use the gamepad just the control pad that came with the original tri

Village quest Jaggi never limps. The low rank village quest to capture him gave me so much trouble because he never limps. One time I let him run around. Next slice to the leg killed him. Either you estimate it or just get armor with Perception.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Hey is anyone else having trouble with the map on the Wii U version? They have shrunk it down so much it has become useless! I can barely see where the exits are and it's almost impossible to make out player arrows (especially the red one). If I increase the size it becomes too big and I can't see where on the map other players are etc.

Honestly how can they let this sort of crap through testing? I have a 42" tv and sit approx 3-4 meters away. I have no problem with any other aspect of the visuals/text except the goddamn map (which I rely on for all the quests)! Why the hell did they change it from Tri?!? This is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen in a game!

I don't want to put the map on the gamepad because I don't want to look down when in combat - infact I don't even use the gamepad just the control pad that came with the original tri

Looks like you could set the gamepad up in your field of vision like the pic above and keep using your pro controller.

BTW, anyone playing the 3DS version too? How do you think it compares? I just got a 3DS today and tried the demo briefly. Other than having no clue what I'm doing making combat tough, I found the camera control a bit awkward without the 2nd analog stick. Looks pretty though.

So I'm up to the *** quests and have a set of jaggi armour and a ludroth bone hammer - what's the next step I should make?

I killed Qurupeco last night but I'm unsure if it's worth farming or just pushing through to the next big monster and doing that instead.

Also what would you guys suggest aiming for from the ludroth hammer?

Cheers!

Mondriaan

It makes painting and pinging a more valuable activity than before.

I completely agree that they made all the HUD type stuff too small, but I suspect that this is because they didn't want to redo those assets for a HD display for the Wii U version, so we're stuck with (non-scaled) assets that were designed for a low res 2D handheld screen. I would have preferred chunky, pixelated, full-sized HUD elements myself.

BULL FUCKING SHIT

Tried that, but he sleeps with other Jaggi's all around him, and either they knock into me making it impossible to place the trap or else killing them all takes enough time/makes enough noise that he wakes up

as orayn says, it's a problem with the low HP of the great jaggi that it's extremely easy to go too far and kill him. They only limp when leaving an area. Indications that G. Jaggi is ready to go snoozles are that you've smashed his frill and he's extremely susceptible to being knocked down. if he falls over twice in a row without dying he's probably very near 0. Ease off and wait- or try using a weaker weapon even. TBH g. jaggi is one of the hardest caps simply because it's so easy to kill him and the quest comes when you are relatively inexperienced in terms of the cues he gives.

You can totally cap him while he's asleep but yes you have to watch out for little jaggis. Try leading them away before running back to place the trap, or put the trap somewhere else in the area, wake the jaggie with a tranq bomb and then stand behind the trap and lure him into it.

Village quest Jaggi never limps. The low rank village quest to capture him gave me so much trouble because he never limps. One time I let him run around. Next slice to the leg killed him. Either you estimate it or just get armor with Perception.

i must have imagined watching him limp away then. stupid brain remembering things that never happened. one thing to note is that if you follow him immediately to the lair and he spots you, he won't go to sleep which is why i say stay back a zone and be patient. use paintballs to track him and wait until the pink dot is in the sleep zone and no longer moving.

tenchir

Whoever Mr. Death is, sorry I can't help you with your Caedeus quest. I don't know which room you are in and when I try to join you using the friend's list, I get DC.

My gears so far:

5 piece Rath Heart set.
Wyvern Flame Long Sword
Rumbalarum Long Sword
Dios Bell

Going to make some money to upgrade my Dios Bell and armor. I think I am HR5 right now.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm new to Monster Hunter 3 and I just started playing more of the game recently, I thought GAF could help me with a few things.

I just unlocked the first quest, but before that I tried to buy the Leather Vest. Afterwards, I tried to equip it but I'm not able to because my Hunter Type isn't the right one. Is there a way to tell this in the shop before buying armour? I tried looking again but I didn't notice anything.

Also I tried to post the same question on Miiverse, but I didn't see a post picture icon anywhere. I don't know if the latest Miiverse update changed where it is, but does MH3U not support the ability to post screencaps on Miiverse?

Thanks!

Slime element is pretty crazy... especially those Brachy duals + bombadier skill = crazy explosions every where. I wanna wreck an Arzuros just for fun with these. Love beating up on low rank monsters with OP weapons ;p

im going to be jumping on in a little and plan on playing for a few hours if anyone is interested.

I'm on now! Wanna farm Brachy and Zinogre with me?

Filth

Slime element is pretty crazy... especially those Brachy duals + bombadier skill = crazy explosions every where. I wanna wreck an Arzuros just for fun with these. Love beating up on low rank monsters with OP weapons ;p

i need to kill him once more for the slime weapon :*(

yes, :D im getting on now but need to take my g/f home soon 10 min drive if you dont mind waiting

I'm new to Monster Hunter 3 and I just started playing more of the game recently, I thought GAF could help me with a few things.

I just unlocked the first quest, but before that I tried to buy the Leather Vest. Afterwards, I tried to equip it but I'm not able to because my Hunter Type isn't the right one. Is there a way to tell this in the shop before buying armour? I tried looking again but I didn't notice anything.

Also I tried to post the same question on Miiverse, but I didn't see a post picture icon anywhere. I don't know if the latest Miiverse update changed where it is, but does MH3U not support the ability to post screencaps on Miiverse?

Thanks!

Should be listed on each piece in the shop if its blade master or gunner. Hunter type basically just means what kind of weapon are you using: bow guns/bows are the gunner group, blade master is everything else. So for example try equipping a bow gun and you should be able to put that vest on.

persongr

Thanks!

Any armor has three pages (maybe more?) of info when you're buying. In one of those, it states whether it fits a blademaster or a gunner type. Your type depends on the weapon you're using at the time. For example, I'm using dual blades, so I'm a blademaster.

Talismans fit both types.

And no, MH3U doesn't support the screenshot feature. :)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Should be listed on each piece in the shop if its blade master or gunner. Hunter type basically just means what kind of weapon are you using: bow guns/bows are the gunner group, blade master is everything else. So for example try equipping a bow gun and you should be able to put that vest on.

Any armor has three pages (maybe more?) of info when you're buying. In one of those, it states whether it fits a blademaster or a gunner type. Your type depends on the weapon you're using at the time. For example, I'm using dual blades, so I'm a blademaster.

Talismans fit both types.

And no, MH3U doesn't support the screenshot feature. :)

Thanks for the help! Okay, so basically I should've been paying more attention.

No screenshot's in Miiverse seems odd, I wonder why they didn't include that feature. Oh well!

Abandond

Yeah.. failed it twice in a row. Used two tranq bombs and a trap and then a shock trap and nothing. I hit him three times and then he dies.

I am confused.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Man fuck the Lagiacrus. Everytime I tried to find some Monster Guts, his bitch ass swam into the area and chased me around until I escaped. Now I'm getting ready to fight the Ludroth. Any tips? Also, I bought Hunter's armor until I can build something else which would probably be a Jaggi set or something.

Mupod

Finally got my breath core hammer, and then of course after the ordeal it took to get 3 bloods I see I need 5 for the next level. Also needs firecell stones...those are high rank volcano right?

Well, at least this hammer will make farming village Jhen easy if I decide to do so. I really need some HR armor though. Thinking Volvidon's set again. Jhen's armor is awesome but...yeah I'll never get two earth dragongems.

I might try out HBG since I'll be stuck offline on my 3DS for a week, I want to save g-rank for online so I can take my time. Jhen's HBG just happens to be absolutely amazing so I just need to find an easy to make set that works for it.

Man fuck the Lagiacrus. Everytime I tried to find some Monster Guts, his bitch ass swam into the area and chased me around until I escaped. Now I'm getting ready to fight the Ludroth. Any tips? Also, I bought Hunter's armor until I can build something else which would probably be a Jaggi set or something.

I like to stick behind his hind leg. Lets me wind up attacks to bop him on the nose while staying out of range of his barrel rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom