• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you could set the gamepad up in your field of vision like the pic above and keep using your pro controller.

I don't want to have to look at other screens.

I can't believe I am using the map from the fucking handheld version on my console on a hd tv!! As if they didn't take enough shortcuts with this game they couldn't even redo the bloody graphics for the map? =(

Looks like i'll have to put up with this stupid stupid design decision, what a disappointment to have such an important feature of the game not even work! Even when the monster is painted it is still quite hard to see, also forget about seeing where your teamates are on the map. Hopefully there is a patch but knowing this is a Nintendo console I doubt it. I have to now use the map on the largest setting which is a huge distraction (but atleast I can see which fucking zone i'm in). The other option is to sit on the end of my bed when I play but this really hurts my back after an hour or so.

A major disappointment for me.

Failed the bear capturing quest...boo. I still don't exactly understand how it's supposed to work, the tranquilizer bombs are the actual method of "capture" right? I guess I used them all too quickly.

Teknoman

I don't want to have to look at other screens.

I can't believe I am using the map from the fucking handheld version on my console on a hd tv!! As if they didn't take enough shortcuts with this game they couldn't even redo the bloody graphics for the map? =(

Looks like i'll have to put up with this stupid stupid design decision, what a disappointment to have such an important feature of the game not even work! Even when the monster is painted it is still quite hard to see, also forget about seeing where your teamates are on the map. Hopefully there is a patch but knowing this is a Nintendo console I doubt it. I have to now use the map on the largest setting which is a huge distraction (but atleast I can see which fucking zone i'm in). The other option is to sit on the end of my bed when I play but this really hurts my back after an hour or so.

A major disappointment for me.

Nintendo games have had patches on the 3DS and on the WiiU.

Failed the bear capturing quest...boo. I still don't exactly understand how it's supposed to work, the tranquilizer bombs are the actual method of "capture" right? I guess I used them all too quickly.

Beat it up until its limping -> Lay a shock or pitfall trap -> wait till its in the trap and then pelt it with two or more tranq bombs -> profit.

Mupod

You need to weaken it to the point where it's limping and trying to escape. Afterwards catch it in the trap and toss two tranq bombs. If two bombs didn't do the job, he's not weak enough. I highly advise bringing extra traps and tranqs along because you never know what kind of bullshit could happen.

Tranqs = bomb casing + tranquilizer (I just buy it at the store on half price days)
Shock trap = trap tool (also store) and thunderbug
Pitfall trap = trap tool and net (spiderweb + ivy)

Also: you can pre-tranq before it gets in the trap, but don't risk it if you're not confident. If for some reason you thought it was weak enough but two tranqs didn't do it, go hit him a few times - if it passes the hp threshold while tranqed and in the trap he'll be captured. Finally, if you have the negative armor skill status attack down it will reduce the effectiveness of tranqs and you'll need 3. I highly doubt you can even get that early in the game but I didn't really look.

Anteo

That Qurupeco solo quest, made it with 13 mins left (using a Bow). That stupid Jaggi was so annoying.. Thank god it died when the Jaggi was not around.

Anteo

goes much faster if you just kill the jaggi first.

Yeah I get that now. Jaggi is a easy kill for me now, I just didn't think Qurupeco would last for so long, The first 20 mins I was doing great, I only used 1 mega potion, the last 20 though, I got hit way too much.

Fewr

Yep, farm them. make lots of poison bombs, bring them on outbreaks or when you get to I think the 2 star level(iirc) quests there's a slay 12 bnahabra quest that will be the most helpful.
Perfect, thanks.

Yeah I get that now. Jaggi is a easy kill for me now, I just didn't think Qurupeco would last for so long, The first 20 mins I was doing great, I only used 1 mega potion, the last 20 though, I got hit way too much.
I tried it earlier today with hunting horn. I had no trouble with jaggi, but when fighting qurupeco most of my attacks would rebound, do I need to upgrade my weapon or is it more about where I hit it?

EDIT: Ah here it is:
General Offense
The Qurupeco's weakest areas are its head and neck. Those are relatively high, so you will need to use corresponding attacks.
Don't bother hitting the tail and wings. You will only waste away your weapon's sharpness.
If you knock the Qurupeco off its feet then focus on its head.
Be patient. Your goal is not to kill the Qurupeco fast, but to kill him while staying out of harm's way. The only time you may want to hurry is if you're trying to interrupt a call.
This trend will only continue as you encounter tougher monsters. The Qurupeco is a good practice ground for patient offense.

Doorman

Finally, glorious high rank. Something that I didn't actually get to in Tri until the last, like, 7 of my 300-ish hours. My God I went through that game slowly. Having good groups to play with online really does make a big difference for me.

Doorman

Is it best to do the naked Bullfango quest alone?

It's certainly manageable enough alone--you get to hog all the first aid meds and rations and whatnot, so survivability isn't much of an issue--but having at least one or two other people would help to provide some much-needed extra targets for the rhenopolos to charge after, and you'd be able to "cover each other" much better while carving.

It's not a hard quest, but it can be a bit annoying in a way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dunno if it was posted, but the MH stuff at PAX this weekend was insane.

• First off, there was the world's first Monster Hunter panel (I think, lol) right at 10am on Friday. ("So You Want to be a Monster Hunter?: An Introduction")

• Then there was the fact there was a full fledged Monster Hunter booth, about two "squares" in size (I'm using the comparison of most of the indie booths being one "square.")

• Then there was the fact that there were three places to try the Ultimate demo: Nintendo's booth (one Wii U and four 3DS's), Capcom's booth (one Wii U and two livestreams), and of course the MH booth (four Wii U's and eight 3DS's.)

• Then at the MH booth they had a dedicated sit-down table for players bringing their own games to join up. When I got there, there were four other people (leaving me to do some solo quests); two multiplayer quests later when I left, the crowd around the table had grown to 11/12 people total.

• Tons of people were walking around with paper Cha-Cha and Kayamba masks that were given away at the MH booth. All ages and level of nerdiness. Was awesome. Of course, they also had special Cha-Cha/Kayamba lanyards which you could only get by either beating the demo or showing you had bought the game.

Such an awesome time. Capcom and Nintendo are really putting a lot behind this release and it shows.

Remfin

So did they nerf the fishing fleet or something? Or am I massively misremembering? I seem to remember they would pay for themselves, but there is no way what comes back can be turned into resources anywhere near close what it cost to send them...

Also, does anyone know what the icons the Argosy Trader has really signify? It's not really clear what exactly blue plus/red minus actually means in the context of the trade screens...obviously it has to do with the current "price", but whether minus means best price or worst price or changes meaning based on which screen I'm viewing (mine vs. his) is just confusing.

Dunno if it was posted, but the MH stuff at PAX this weekend was insane.

• First off, there was the world's first Monster Hunter panel (I think, lol) right at 10am on Friday. ("So You Want to be a Monster Hunter?: An Introduction")

• Then there was the fact there was a full fledged Monster Hunter booth, about two "squares" in size (I'm using the comparison of most of the indie booths being one "square.")

• Then there was the fact that there were three places to try the Ultimate demo: Nintendo's booth (one Wii U and four 3DS's), Capcom's booth (one Wii U and two livestreams), and of course the MH booth (four Wii U's and eight 3DS's.)

• Then at the MH booth they had a dedicated sit-down table for players bringing their own games to join up. When I got there, there were four other people (leaving me to do some solo quests); two multiplayer quests later when I left, the crowd around the table had grown to 11/12 people total.

• Tons of people were walking around with paper Cha-Cha and Kayamba masks that were given away at the MH booth. All ages and level of nerdiness. Was awesome. Of course, they also had special Cha-Cha/Kayamba lanyards which you could only get by either beating the demo or showing you had bought the game.

Such an awesome time. Capcom and Nintendo are really putting a lot behind this release and it shows.
And yet they don't have a TV ad.

"Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, everybody!" Ryozo when asked about MH4 localization.

I'm sacred. :(

Hey is anyone else having trouble with the map on the Wii U version? They have shrunk it down so much it has become useless! I can barely see where the exits are and it's almost impossible to make out player arrows (especially the red one). If I increase the size it becomes too big and I can't see where on the map other players are etc.

Honestly how can they let this sort of crap through testing? I have a 42" tv and sit approx 3-4 meters away. I have no problem with any other aspect of the visuals/text except the goddamn map (which I rely on for all the quests)! Why the hell did they change it from Tri?!? This is one of the stupidest things i've ever seen in a game!

I don't want to put the map on the gamepad because I don't want to look down when in combat - infact I don't even use the gamepad just the control pad that came with the original tri

That's really far away for a 42. You should at most be 2m away from a 42.

Everything will be smaller in 3U vs Tri though, this game is 1080p I think and Tri was only 480p. It makes a big difference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's really far away for a 42. You should at most be 2m away from a 42.

Everything will be smaller in 3U vs Tri though, this game is 1080p I think and Tri was only 480p. It makes a big difference.

Tri was actually 360p IIRC.

Tri was actually 360p IIRC.

Ouch. Haha even more so then!

I don't see the issue with sticking the map on the gamepad. It is great there! You rarely need more Han a quick glance to see where a boss is or where your buddies are, and needing the map for paths to other zones is something you shouldn't need to do after a few times. I mean there is what, 5-6 maps the whole game? Heh.

BioHazard

This is my first MH game, and I just passed the kill 5 Jaggi quest and not sure of what to think so far. Anyone have advice/tips or link to a good beginner's guide to MH?

Nothing so far, I'm still on the first set of quests (the one star bracket)

Hmm... Well save judgement till you fight some big baddies.
I guess as for some tips...
-Use a guide or wiki for this game, its extremely useful for beginners and experts alike.
-Be prepared. Make sure you have everything you need for the fight.
-Take your time. Watch how they move. This is not a hack n' slash, so dodge appropriately and time your hits.
-Each quest is 50 minutes so use the time to farm bugs, ore, plants and stuff.

chrono01

Well I finally did the Qurupeco quest...that took a while.

I fainted 2/3 times, but things went smoother when I had the Great Jaggi dispatched. I took my time, waited for an opening, and attacked. It was annoying since my weapon only had Yellow sharpness, so the majority of my attacks "bounced" off. I couldn't even reliably interrupt his "call" because of this. To make matters worse, he kept flying away and I had no paintballs so I had to gauge by his shadow which area he flew off to. -_-

But he is now slain and I will work on upgrading my weapon further before I progress [I just Forged/Upgraded to the Rugged Great Sword. It has a bit of Green sharpness, but it doesn't last long]. I'm hoping to fix that soon.

BTW, what's the point of Poogie [the pig]? I Snuggled him a couple of times, got the hearts, and changed his into a watermelon costume. Is it just for fun/aesthetics or does he serve another purpose?

I heard rumors that he improves your luck if you Snuggle before going on a hunt, but it's probably just a joke...

Kyzon

Well I finally did the Qurupeco quest...that took a while.

I fainted 2/3 times, but things went smoother when I had the Great Jaggi dispatched. I took my time, waited for an opening, and attacked. It was annoying since my weapon only had Yellow sharpness, so the majority of my attacks "bounced" off. I couldn't even reliably interrupt his "call" because of this. To make matters worse, he kept flying away and I had no paintballs so I had to gauge by his shadow which area he flew off to. -_-

But he is now slain and I will work on upgrading my weapon further before I progress [I just Forged/Upgraded to the Rugged Great Sword. It has a bit of Green sharpness, but it doesn't last long]. I'm hoping to fix that soon.

BTW, what's the point of Poogie [the pig]? I Snuggled him a couple of times, got the hearts, and changed his into a watermelon costume. Is it just for fun/aesthetics or does he serve another purpose?

I heard rumors that he improves your luck if you Snuggle before going on a hunt, but it's probably just a joke...

As soon as you can fight the great wroggi 3 star I think, then make a full set of his armor. He has a skill that severely reduces the rate at which weapons become dull. I've gone on many full hunts with my Dual Swords or Sword and Shields staying at green sharpness the entire time.

chrono01

As soon as you can fight the great wroggi 3 star I think, then make a full set of his armor. He has a skill that severely reduces the rate at which weapons become dull. I've gone on many full hunts with my Dual Swords or Sword and Shields staying at green sharpness the entire time.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!

I have the three-star missions unlocked right now, but I haven't yet encounter this "Great Wroggi".

I look forward to fashioning some armor from its remains. >:)

I know it's been said before, but damn is it awesome to go from struggling to kill stuff like Quropeco early on and then coming back later when you just need a feather or something to upgrade a weapon you haven't used in a while and you just FUCKING CRUSH the stupid bird in under 5 minutes never needing potions.

Killing some wroggis and Great Worrgis to get your armour to fight Gigganox and the G. Wroggi can barely leave the first area before getting destroyed. I had to slow down in killing him so I could get mats off of the regular Wroggis. Haha.

Kyzon

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

I have the three-star missions unlocked right now, but I haven't yet encounter this "Great Wroggi".

I look forward to fashioning some armor from its remains. >:)

I can't remember the name of the mission, but it's something poison related. The Great Wroggi fights just like the Great Jaggi except it has a new attack. It spouts poison from its mouth. No need to worry though, it's telegraphed and you can score in some easy hits while that happens. As for the armor, it's badass.

MHP3-Furogi_SnS.png

chrono01

I can't remember the name of the mission, but it's something poison related. The Great Wroggi fights just like the Great Jaggi except it has a new attack. It spouts poison from its mouth. No need to worry though, it's telegraphed and you can score in some easy hits while that happens. As for the armor, it's badass.
Haha, I love the look of that.

I'm currently using the Jaggi Set, but that will definitely be a nice step-up. I really want that Sharpness Skill.

I know it's been said before, but damn is it awesome to go from struggling to kill stuff like Quropeco early on and then coming back later when you just need a feather or something to upgrade a weapon you haven't used in a while and you just FUCKING CRUSH the stupid bird in under 5 minutes never needing potions.

This why I enjoy my second fights with a monster. Now that you've learned the patterns, you can cut down your last battle times to 1/3 its original length without even needing to change anything but your attack strategies. So satisfying.

Teknoman

Yup gotta snag that Wroggi set. I'm undecided between the chainsaw or the poison blade though. (longswords). I'll probably just make both eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom