• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I know it's been said before, but damn is it awesome to go from struggling to kill stuff like Quropeco early on and then coming back later when you just need a feather or something to upgrade a weapon you haven't used in a while and you just FUCKING CRUSH the stupid bird in under 5 minutes never needing potions.

Killing some wroggis and Great Worrgis to get your armour to fight Gigganox and the G. Wroggi can barely leave the first area before getting destroyed. I had to slow down in killing him so I could get mats off of the regular Wroggis. Haha.

shirt_spritersresource_brofist_MED.jpg

Definitely, beat the beak off him the second time around lol. Same with R.Ludroth...but Lagi might always be a pain. Speaking of which, sorry I couldnt show to help with that quest. Figured I should just turn the game off now since if I didnt...i'd be up much longer than planned.

Dunno if it was posted, but the MH stuff at PAX this weekend was insane.

• First off, there was the world's first Monster Hunter panel (I think, lol) right at 10am on Friday. ("So You Want to be a Monster Hunter?: An Introduction")

• Then there was the fact there was a full fledged Monster Hunter booth, about two "squares" in size (I'm using the comparison of most of the indie booths being one "square.")

• Then there was the fact that there were three places to try the Ultimate demo: Nintendo's booth (one Wii U and four 3DS's), Capcom's booth (one Wii U and two livestreams), and of course the MH booth (four Wii U's and eight 3DS's.)

• Then at the MH booth they had a dedicated sit-down table for players bringing their own games to join up. When I got there, there were four other people (leaving me to do some solo quests); two multiplayer quests later when I left, the crowd around the table had grown to 11/12 people total.

• Tons of people were walking around with paper Cha-Cha and Kayamba masks that were given away at the MH booth. All ages and level of nerdiness. Was awesome. Of course, they also had special Cha-Cha/Kayamba lanyards which you could only get by either beating the demo or showing you had bought the game.

Such an awesome time. Capcom and Nintendo are really putting a lot behind this release and it shows.
That sounds awesome, really hope it sells well and they bring mh4 over quickly. Because I only have a 3ds and no one to play with I decided to skip this one and learn how to play on a used copy of tri, really wished they put online multi into the 3ds version...

ramyeon

Are there any charm table searchers that still work? Just started and I'm a bit curious what the result of this haul means...

Pin Tuna x2
Popfish x5
Sushifish x2
Shining Starfish x1
Pin Tuna x2
Humspun Conch x1
Shining Starfish x1

Anyone have any idea?

burgerdog

Anyone down to do some HR1 quests/farming? I'm up for playing a couple of hours. Damn those Q beaks.

I so want to take you up on that offer but I just know I'll end up playing for hours and it's getting late. We should finish up all your HR quests so we can move on to bigger monsters! Maybe tomorrow?

I feel like getting my first thunderbug for my farm is going to be a pain.

They're actually really easy to find, I got 10 in around 30 minutes and found one outside of moga village just messing a few moments ago.

I so want to take you up on that offer but I just know I'll end up playing for hours and it's getting late. We should finish up all your HR quests so we can move on to bigger monsters! Maybe tomorrow?

Haha. tempting, i know. Ya, i'll definitely play a few tomorow too.

Busaiku

Gah, hunting and capturing a Qurupeco is so annoying.
The monster itself is pretty simple, but because it travels all over the place, I'm wasting so much time and Energy Juices.

It's times like this I wish I wasn't solo...

nubbe

Gah, hunting and capturing a Qurupeco is so annoying.
The monster itself is pretty simple, but because it travels all over the place, I'm wasting so much time and Energy Juices.

It's times like this I wish I wasn't solo...

Annoying at first, but ever monster have a pattern.
If it need to rest or eat.

That's really far away for a 42. You should at most be 2m away from a 42.

Everything will be smaller in 3U vs Tri though, this game is 1080p I think and Tri was only 480p. It makes a big difference.

Sorry I meant 3-4 feet.

What does this even mean?

It means I don't know of any Nintendo game that has gotten a patch. I think Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword got it's own channel when that needed a patch for it's save game glitch but that is the only one I know of. I don't think Nintendo want too many patches on their games, or else they would give us hardware (hdd space) to support it.

Anyways all i'm hearing are work arounds for a problem that shouldn't exist. The map is there for a reason, I like to use it, I don't want to have to not use it or setup another piece of hardware to assist me in using it when it used to work fine on the previous game....which in a way is the same game.

ramyeon

Just got my first rank 2 quests and am now able to go face my first real monster (Great Jaggi). Something tells me I'm not prepared for this :( Gonna wait till my Wii U arrives tonight to play it on that though, seems like it'll be a bit more epic in HD.

I have a question for you Monster Hunter fans. I haven't played a MH game yet but I'm really interested in this game. I'm familiar with games like this but the whole no online thing in the 3DS version is sort of a deal breaker for me. However, I'm willing to put down the money if the single player is still fun/long with just me and AI partners. So people who own the 3DS version and have no other friends to play with, is it worth it?

Morokh

I have a question for you Monster Hunter fans. I haven't played a MH game yet but I'm really interested in this game. I'm familiar with games like this but the whole no online thing in the 3DS version is sort of a deal breaker for me. However, I'm willing to put down the money if the single player is still fun/long with just me and AI partners. So people who own the 3DS version and have no other friends to play with, is it worth it?

I'm a new player to the series, but aside from the few Online hunts I did yesterday I mostly played offline, and from what it seems you can do everything that you do online solo too, the only difference is you'll do it with your two Cha-Cha's (AI controlled companions you get in SP) or AI controlled copies of players that traded you their hunter card (or cards you got through StreetPass)

The game itself is pretty beefy, so even as a single player game, if you get into it you'll definitely have many hours of fun ahead.

3DS version is if you don't already own a WiiU the cheapest way to hop in and give it a try.

I'm going easy on this game taking it slow for now until I get a lot of free time.

Just slayed my first Barroth (on this version of the game), not sure if my Rhenoplos armor is still good enough for the monsters ahead or should I grind more Barroths?

Busaiku

So Long Swords are supposed to have some sort of special combo system?
How come I've never been able to use it?

I've been using the Canine Katana, but I'm not even seeing any bars or anything.

Ken

So Long Swords are supposed to have some sort of special combo system?
How come I've never been able to use it?

I've been using the Canine Katana, but I'm not even seeing any bars or anything.

When you hit stuff there's a bar under your stamina bar that fills up. You can burn the bar by pressing R while sword is drawn; this performs spirit slash. If you chain a spirit slash combo completely in one combo (full bar, ends with a dashing slash) your sword moves up a level.

G-rank Duramboros is the definition of tedious. Actually, a lot of G rank quests feel tedious just because of how durable the monsters are.

Raide

I wonder if Capcom are going to update this game? Some of the low res textures on HuD elements is really poor. The map is one of them and then many of the icons on the touch-screen are low res while other are fine. Some of the monsters looks damn amazing, as do the majority of weapons and armor but other stuff looks horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I am damn well addicted to hunting again and I do hope the Wii-U and MH gamble pays off for Capcom, since I now rate Tri-U as the best game on the console but I cannot help but feel that they did not put full effort into this version.

hey, my setup (+ wireless USB Keyboard)!

the pro is awesome. and the battery life..... unbelievable!

played maaaaany hours of zen pinball 2 and around 50 hrs. MonHun. still two bars left. they weren't really lying about those 80 hours.

while i go to sleep now I copy my game over to the system memory.
I wanna see if there are really some improvments in the lead times after that.

This is really the part that took me by surprise. I was one of the most vocal cynics about the announced battery life, but holy shitballs, I charged that controller when I unboxed it... haven't done so since and it still has 2 bars out of 4...

If only they would've done something similar for the gamepad. I can't wait for 3rd party batteries like that Nyko one to release in Europe. 10 hours of charge is really the bare minimum.

Btw, I looove the transfer feature. Since my GF likes to play Nintendoland I can just take my save to the 3DS and get on with some gathering and solo quests. Amazing.

Is there a way to edit what appears on your L item scroll bar? Having fossil pieces and other junk I've picked up show really hurts my combat flow.

This is really the part that took me by surprise. I was one of the most vocal cynics about the announced battery life, but holy shitballs, I charged that controller when I unboxed it... haven't done so since and it still has 2 bars out of 4...

If only they would've done something similar for the gamepad. I can't wait for 3rd party batteries like that Nyko one to release in Europe. 10 hours of charge is really the bare minimum.

Btw, I looove the transfer feature. Since my GF likes to play Nintendoland I can just take my save to the 3DS and get on with some gathering and solo quests. Amazing.
Yeah seriously the battery life on that thing is INSANE. Haven't charged it either aside from the initial charge and it still has 2 bars as well. Controller is great in all other aspects too. I use it while propping up the gamepad at my sofa table - works great and I can de-clutter the main screen.

Synless

I just started this today and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any beginners tips for the first part of the game that I should concentrate on?

Fistwell

I just started this today and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any beginners tips for the first part of the game that I should concentrate on?
On your first few actual hunts, take some time to figure out the monster's patterns (give him some room, circle him at a safe distance). Then try to land hits without him hitting you too much: wait for him to do an attack, go in, cple of hits, then roll out of the way before he recovers.

Of course when he just stands there drooling, go to town, but in general, try to be wary of when and when not to go on the offensive. That's maybe one of the more important things to get early on.

Also, bring some potions and whetstones. And remember the five D's of monster hunting: Dodge, Duck, Dive, erh.. Roll, Dinosaur, and... yeah, I got nothing.

Actually, one last thing, practice the superman dive: sprint (with weapon sheathed, pressing R) away from the monster (you'll notice a goofy animation), then press roll. You're invincible during superman dive. If something is going to hit you for sure and you can see it coming (I'm thinking rathalos poison pounce, you'll see what I mean when you fight him), you sheathe your weapon and you time your superman dive to weasel out of it. I superman dive myself all the fucking time. Matter of fact, I probably spend more time flying through the air then actually fighting! :D

Edit: Final words, don't stay right in front of a monster. You want them to have to turn before launching their attack, gives you more time to see it coming.

I feel so happy! I did the solo urgent Lagiacrus by capturing him with only a minute to spare. Now I'm HR2! I love this game. I was also able to get the horn and tail. Now I need one more horn.

Yeah seriously the battery life on that thing is INSANE. Haven't charged it either aside from the initial charge and it still has 2 bars as well. Controller is great in all other aspects too. I use it while propping up the gamepad at my sofa table - works great and I can de-clutter the main screen.

If it had analog triggers it would be the best standard DA controller I've ever had. The rumble is nuanced and powerfull, the sticks are godly, the ergonomics are flawless and the battery life is just simply unbelievable.

So far I mainly used it for MP (BLOPS Splitscreen or occasionally online when I got fed up with Treyarch botching the Wiimote Lag compensation with a new patch again)

All in all I'd wager that the controller has been in use for about 30 hours now, if it really can put in another 30 till it runs dry, that's a whopping 60 hours. Compare that to the abysmal 20 hours I get from my 360 or the measily 16 from the DS3 of my brother (allthough that might be a defective battery, as it's just so pathethically low.)

I love using the Gamepad for MH though. I'm not really comfortable with Voice chat, as I mostly play with other people around and it tends to get awkward, so having a virtual keyboard on screen is perfect for me.

I love that they really went the extra length with this game, updating textures, incorporating sensible features and tons of options to suit each playstyle. Sure it's just an upresed 3DS game, but they could've just done that, not adding online, not adding Pro Controller support, not adding a virtual keyboard, Voice Chat and soon off Screen play and cross region servers.

I so hope MH4 comes to WiiU as well, as I simply love the transfer feature. I probably spent equal time between both plattforms and it's just a great feature.

BTW, thanks to the awesome hunts to all GAF Members who went on hunting with me yesterday. I had a blast and if it weren't for my idiotic desire to eat once in a while I'd been staying online for much longer lol.

So i tried to do some local coop with a 3DS and a wii u, we both went to the multi tavern, sounded the gong thing, but we were never able to connect. is there something i am doing wrong?

If it had analog triggers it would be the best standard DA controller I've ever had. The rumble is nuanced and powerfull, the sticks are godly, the ergonomics are flawless and the battery life is just simply unbelievable.

So far I mainly used it for MP (BLOPS Splitscreen or occasionally online when I got fed up with Treyarch botching the Wiimote Lag compensation with a new patch again)

All in all I'd wager that the controller has been in use for about 30 hours now, if it really can put in another 30 till it runs dry, that's a whopping 60 hours. Compare that to the abysmal 20 hours I get from my 360 or the measily 16 from the DS3 of my brother (allthough that might be a defective battery, as it's just so pathethically low.)

I love using the Gamepad for MH though. I'm not really comfortable with Voice chat, as I mostly play with other people around and it tends to get awkward, so having a virtual keyboard on screen is perfect for me.

I love that they really went the extra length with this game, updating textures, incorporating sensible features and tons of options to suit each playstyle. Sure it's just an upresed 3DS game, but they could've just done that, not adding online, not adding Pro Controller support, not adding a virtual keyboard, Voice Chat and soon off Screen play and cross region servers.

I so hope MH4 comes to WiiU as well, as I simply love the transfer feature. I probably spent equal time between both plattforms and it's just a great feature.

BTW, thanks to the awesome hunts to all GAF Members who went on hunting with me yesterday. I had a blast and if it weren't for my idiotic desire to eat once in a while I'd been staying online for much longer lol.
I'm playing solo for now until I feel more comfortable but once I do start playing online the virtual keyboard seems a must. I'm playing in the living room and there's usually someone around so I kind of feel the same as you. Seems I shouldn't get too attached to the Pro. I don't mind the lack of analogue personally but I only play arcade racers (pedal to the metal ;-)) so I don't really need them.

Ragus

Banned
Could you folks help me understand stats progress in Monster Hunter series? Let's say, that I have a hunter in full Wroggi set, which has:

Defense - X
Attack - Y
Health - Z

etc.

Now, as there are no exp points in this game, I guess there is no chance, that those stats which I have mentioned, will ever grow if I'll keep on wearing this armor through my whole playthrough (the same applies to new skills)?

Also, how can I check my skills? I know that there are 2 pages of them in Stats, but which page consists of armor skills? Do they work only if I have a full armor? Do they disappear if I change ny armor?

Sorry for all those questions, but I hope to get some help from you, fellow Hunters ;)

A great majority of skills work if you have at least +10 points put into them. Any less, it won't trigger. Some skills get better with +15/+20.

It doesn't matter if you change armor pieces as long as you get those skills points from any source.

Your Health, Defense and Stamina never permanently grows. Any buffs to them are temporary.

tl;dr Your equipment is the one that dictates your character's stats. There is no character growth at all.

Ragus

Banned
A

It doesn't matter if you change armor pieces as long as you get those skills points from any source.

Let's say, that I'm wearing a set which gives me Poison skill. Now, I get rid of that set and I use a new one - are exclusive skills from first set gone?

I have not been this lucky.

best bug farming spot i've found so far at low rank is the HR1 Tundra Harvest Tour, available at the port from the very start of the game. Carpenter bugs & thunderbugs in ready supply. There's two* points in the very first area. Put on the starting leather gear for gather-up skills, search the two points and then you can either just drop the ticket in and try again immediately or go mining for account items to turn into cash, and ice crystals to make cool drinks. I prefer it for carpenter bugs because it's so close to the start point compared to the Deserted Island spot.

*sometimes it seems there's just one point, but I do believe I've seen the other one spawn maybe 5~10 minutes later. In either case, handing the pass in and taking the quest again is still faster than running to the felyne cave in D. Island.

Let's say, that I'm wearing a set which gives me Poison skill. Now, I get rid of that set and I use a new one - are exclusive skills from first set gone?

yes, skills are only active when you are wearing armour/gems that give a total of 10 or more points in that skill. I'd encourage you to keep several sets handy for different tasks, at the very least a gathering set (the starting gear is one) and a hunting set. Use the Equipment Sets option at your storage chest to save and manage different sets- think of it as switching between different builds, if that helps.

edit: what Wolf means is that if you are wearing say set A which gives eg. Status Effect UP, and you find set B which also has Status Effect Up, you can combine pieces from those sets and as long as the final value is 10 or more, that skill will activate. If you find you don't quite have enough points to activate you can make decorations at the blacksmith which add a few extra points, and can be slotted into armour. Eg. the hunters mail gives +10 to the Psychic skill. At +10 "Detect" will activate, which will show the monster on the map briefly at the start of the hunt. With decorations you can easily get it to +15 where it becomes Autotracker, which always shows the monster on the map thus saving you from having to carry paintballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom