• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I haven't quite understood the differences between Port Tanzia in solo, multi and network mode.

Do monsters have the increased online health if I do solo port tanzia guild quests without going online? And what's multi for compared to network mode?

B-Dex

I haven't quite understood the differences between Port Tanzia in solo, multi and network mode.

Do monsters have the increased online health if I do solo port tanzia guild quests without going online? And what's multi for compared to network mode?

Solo just lets you do the online quests. No difference. Multi is for local multiplayer. Like you have your friend on 3DS over. Network is for online.

ramyeon

I love how knowing a monster just makes it that much easier in this game. A few hours ago I was struggling to beat the Great Jaggi for the first time, now I'm going out and farming them and even taking on two at a time without much danger. So good.

Forged a new switch axe and the Jaggi chest piece, gonna try farming for materials for the rest of the armor now. I'm well addicted already.

I actually feel like I'm slowly improving in skill and not relying on weapon/stat upgrades as much as other games. Real good feeling.

daxy

The charm table checker finally went through after a couple of days of occasional retries; got T10, so I can stop thinking about that.

I visited the online village and capped a Qurupeco solo just to check things out. Did I understand correctly that I have to complete all HR1 quests, including the harvests, to advance to the next rank?

You only need to do 'key quests'. These aren't marked in the game but you can find them here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Guild_Quests
Same goes for village quests.

Took out the Great Jaggi on my first go, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Except being surrounded by the smaller ones so I fainted once.

Now on the quest where you have to capture the bear. I managed to weaken it to when it was limping, trap it and then tried to throw the tranqs at it but they went all over the place :/ am I doing this wrong?

Trap it.

Run right up in front of it and throw the tranq bombs directly into it's face. it shouldn't take more than two bombs...possibly three if you're unlucky.

Haunted

Solo just lets you do the online quests. No difference. Multi is for local multiplayer. Like you have your friend on 3DS over. Network is for online.
Ah, gotcha. Local multi is on two different systems, though, right? There's no splitscreen like in Tri.

Pineconn

I love how knowing a monster just makes it that much easier in this game. A few hours ago I was struggling to beat the Great Jaggi for the first time, now I'm going out and farming them and even taking on two at a time without much danger. So good.

Forged a new switch axe and the Jaggi chest piece, gonna try farming for materials for the rest of the armor now. I'm well addicted already.

Stick with the Jaggi armor for a while – it's pretty good. You can easily gem it up to Attack Up M (and maybe Gourmand -> Scavenger or Halve Stun -> Negate Stun if you have the right charm).

Mupod

Thanks a lot, Cha-Cha! =D

I actually don't like this kind of thing. I feel like I'm required to bring those goobers along with me because I miss out on loot otherwise.

On something like Jhen - no problem, hell I think I even saw them manning the cannons while I was up on his back. On Diablos or an underwater monster? No thanks I am not going to deal with that thing charging back and forth randomly across the entire desert/ocean. I need my monsters to be predictable especially when I'm using hammer/GS.

Pineconn

I actually don't like this kind of thing. I feel like I'm required to bring those goobers along with me because I miss out on loot otherwise.

On something like Jhen - no problem, hell I think I even saw them manning the cannons while I was up on his back. On Diablos or an underwater monster? No thanks I am not going to deal with that thing charging back and forth randomly across the entire desert/ocean. I need my monsters to be predictable especially when I'm using hammer/GS.

Hahahaha, nothing is worse than fighting Ceadeus by using the ballista guns, and then one of the Shakalaka comes RIGHT up to you and blocks your damn view. It's even worse on the 3DS since it jacks up the depth perception, heh.

Then again, Cha-Cha brought back a Deep Dragongem for me on Tri, so...

Xater

Nintendo just sent me a very extensive questionnaire about my Monster Hunter purchase. They wanted to know all kinds of stuff:

Which games in the series have you played before?
What are you favorite features?
How would you compare it to other games like Pokemon?
Have you recommended it?

I don#t think I every got such a thing after I registered a game with Club Nintendo. Seems like Nintendo is pretty serious about this series.

DaBoss

Nintendo just sent me a very extensive questionnaire about my Monster Hunter purchase. They wanted to know all kinds of stuff:

Have you recommended it?

I don#t think I every got such a thing after I registered a game with Club Nintendo. Seems like Nintendo is pretty serious about this series.

Do you live in Europe? I live in NA and I think I got all of those questions except the third one.

Gamble

After literally 5 attempts of trying last night to kill Lagi I am convinced I can't do it solo I either run out of time or he manages to knock me out even when I switched from Dual Blade to a Lance....I fail at attaining HR2 :-(

Zarovitch

I've capture my first monster (a kind of bear) and i got a good satisfaction.
I kill a Qurupeco too, that was an exhausting fight, can't believe i got him.

I go online join a session with at least one gaf (sorry i don't remember who) to fight a Duramboros. I understand too late that i was not really prepare for this fight, i got kill one time, but after sometime we kill it just after someone left the game.

Mupod

After literally 5 attempts of trying last night to kill Lagi I am convinced I can't do it solo I either run out of time or he manages to knock me out even when I switched from Dual Blade to a Lance....I fail at attaining HR2 :-(

When the going gets tough, spam items. Barrel bombs are highly effective in low rank, make sure to pitfall him on land when he's tired and go to town on his back shell. Other than that just practice...even I don't like fighting him underwater. Maybe check your armor set to see if it's especially weak to lightning?

Have you recommended it?

I giggled a bit because of so many years of seeing people assume that MH was a pokemon knockoff. Maybe they had it confused with Monster Rancher?

Anyways I need a high rank gunner set to use this Jhen cannon. Preferably made from something easy and/or weak to dragon that I can murder with my new hammer. Any set with pierce up that isn't Diablos or Jhen?

Also I didn't catch if anyone answered me earlier but are firecell stones from high rank volcano?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Lagi has a fire weakness, so that might be something to considering when you're going to fight him. When he does make land fall, Pitfall trap him and bomb the hell out of him.

edit: Beaten by Mupod.

Gamble

When the going gets tough, spam items. Barrel bombs are highly effective in low rank, make sure to pitfall him on land when he's tired and go to town on his back shell. Other than that just practice...even I don't like fighting him underwater. Maybe check your armor set to see if it's especially weak to lightning?QUOTE]

As a matter of fact it is I remember my lightening resist was terrible I'm wearing a hunters set that I bought when I first started, grrr guess I'll be farming for gear tonight after work.

When the going gets tough, spam items. Barrel bombs are highly effective in low rank, make sure to pitfall him on land when he's tired and go to town on his back shell. Other than that just practice...even I don't like fighting him underwater. Maybe check your armor set to see if it's especially weak to lightning?QUOTE]

As a matter of fact it is I remember my lightening resist was terrible I'm wearing a hunters set that I bought when I first started, grrr guess I'll be farming for gear tonight after work.

Also, get the food buff. There's definitely a combination there that gives you increased lightning resistance.

Super-ballsy of you to try to beat lagia with the hunter armour. xD

For me, he's definitely a monster you gear up specifically for.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an easy method to find sharq(skins)? They are supposed to be in Moga Woods area 11, but there are only Ludroths swimming around.

Gamble

Also, get the food buff. There's definitely a combination there that gives you increased lightning resistance.

Super-ballsy of you to try to beat lagia with the hunter armour. xD
For me, he's definitely a monster you gear up specifically for.

Lol this is only because I am still such a noob to MH never really made to far in any of the previous games due to lack of coop access on the portables :p but yeah my last two attempts I kick the crap out of him and then end up running out of time

Mupod

Is there an easy method to find sharq(skins)? They are supposed to be in Moga Woods area 11, but there are only Ludroths swimming around.

Try doing the gathering quest from the counter. If you're doing the free hunt then if the forecast says an area is (for example) 'ludroth breeding' then the spawns of other monsters will be replaced with ludroths.

I advise bringing a farcaster so you don't need to swim back like a sucker, since you can't just 'return to village' like on free hunt.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Try doing the gathering quest from the counter. If you're doing the free hunt then if the forecast says an area is (for example) 'ludroth breeding' then the spawns of other monsters will be replaced with ludroths.

I advise bringing a farcaster so you don't need to swim back like a sucker, since you can't just 'return to village' like on free hunt.

Thanks!

So...to get their skins, I have to hit->harpoon->kill them in that order, right?

Mupod

Thanks!

So...to get their skins, I have to hit->harpoon->kill them in that order, right?

Yeah soften them up a bit and then harpoon to finish them. For me, I used the Hunting Horn's special hilt attack and that was just enough to bring them down to the point a harpoon would work. Anything stronger and they just died/swam off.

I loved the ranger set from Tri but I never did the arena quests to get the coins. Turns out a similar set from portable 3rd is available early on from the armor seller online.

If you know what I'm talking about, how far would you say that set could take you? Like if you added armor spheres etc to it, is it viable for higher rank monsters?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah soften them up a bit and then harpoon to finish them. For me, I used the Hunting Horn's special hilt attack and that was just enough to bring them down to the point a harpoon would work. Anything stronger and they just died/swam off.

Yeah, I've just noticed that my weapon is too strong. At least now I understand why bringing a farcaster is a good idea, those things don't respawn. :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When I do free roam, I get the message "converting account items into 10 resource points" or whatever. What is this referring to?

Also, when I am out and hunting on free roam, is there a way to get the broken crests or whatever from hunting a monster there vs on a quest?

E: One more...How long does the transfer take from Wii U to 3DS and vice versa?

Korezo

Any ones Wii U hard locking when lauching MH3? When I start game up system stays stuck on start up screen playing music. This happened twice already. So far I've gotten 5 freezes with the game and had to pull the cord all 5 times. Is this normal or is my wii u getting busted? I thoought Nintendo fixed freezes with a earlier update. Freezing at game boot up is retarded.

Mupod

Quick question; will capturing a beast give me the same tail rewards as cutting the tail and killing the beast?

No. I'll try and explain how rewards work.

Basically, every monster has basic rewards you get for killing/capturing. These show up in the top box at the end of quests. Every time you wound a monster by breaking a part, you get a 'roll' on that part's 'loot table' for a chance at item(s). These show up in the bottom box. Capturing gives you one of these 'rolls' and often the capture table has some rare drops.

If you cut a tail or kill the monster, carving is basically rolling for drops on the carve or tail carve loot tables.

Now, capturing frequently is a good way to get tails for impact weapon users since many capture loot tables have tails on them. But you don't just get what you would have got by cutting the tail.

If you want to know the exact % chances to get everything try and find the Brady guide. It has loot tables for every monster.

Fought my first Rathian yesterday in what was probably my most intense encounter yet(I'm a first timer).

They play rough. I made it through, but I ended with no potions and about 20% of my health left. I was in a position where I was only going to take 1-2 more hits and had just managed to bring enough hurt. Damn that tail whip. It has such large reach and poisons if you're unfortunate enough to be near the tip(that's how that works, right?).

Also fought a Gigginox. Those guys are animated really well but I'm not sure the fight was as fun as Rathian, just because it another poison monster that wasn't as intimidating(weird, though).

Going for the full-on Lagiacrus fight later. Really looking forward to that. Also trying to decide what armor set I want to go for next.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
When I do free roam, I get the message "converting account items into 10 resource points" or whatever. What is this referring to?

Items like Wyvern Tears can't be taken back to town (otherwise you could just bring them with you and complete the subquests by turning those in.)

E: One more...How long does the transfer take from Wii U to 3DS and vice versa?

Four 30-40 seconds, I think. Maybe more.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Items like Wyvern Tears can't be taken back to town (otherwise you could just bring them with you and complete the subquests by turning those in.)

Four 30-40 seconds, I think. Maybe more.

Right, but if I'm out on a gathering trip, it seems to give me that message, too. Are there things I could bring back to the supply box for more resource points if I need/want?

And what is four 30-40 seconds? Do you mean like, 4 minutes? Sorry, I'm just confused by your wording!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any ones Wii U hard locking when lauching MH3? When I start game up system stays stuck on start up screen playing music. This happened twice already. So far I've gotten 5 freezes with the game and had to pull the cord all 5 times. Is this normal or is my wii u getting busted? I thoought Nintendo fixed freezes with a earlier update. Freezing at game boot up is retarded.

No freezes on my digital version. I haven't had a Wii U lock up (all mine were Nintendo Land) after the patch that 'fixed it'. Are you running a digital version too? Maybe the install doesn't do its job properly, but just guess work on my part.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
The on thing I hate the most about these type of games, and this reminds me a LOT of Phantasy Star Online on the 'Cube, are the drop rate of the items you want. Already took down 7 Lagiacrus and still no Lagiacrus Plate. Sometimes I wish you could trade materials in-game or with NPC's so you don't have to take down the same monster a thousand times.

Brannon

No. I'll try and explain how rewards work.

Basically, every monster has basic rewards you get for killing/capturing. These show up in the top box at the end of quests. Every time you wound a monster by breaking a part, you get a 'roll' on that part's 'loot table' for a chance at item(s). These show up in the bottom box. Capturing gives you one of these 'rolls' and often the capture table has some rare drops.

If you cut a tail or kill the monster, carving is basically rolling for drops on the carve or tail carve loot tables.

Now, capturing frequently is a good way to get tails for impact weapon users since many capture loot tables have tails on them. But you don't just get what you would have got by cutting the tail.

If you want to know the exact % chances to get everything try and find the Brady guide. It has loot tables for every monster.

I think I see, so capturing may give me a chance at parts A, B, and C, while carving may give me a chance at parts B, C, and D? I'll definitely have to check my guide when I get home. Thanks!

Mupod

The on thing I hate the most about these type of games, and this reminds me a LOT of Phantasy Star Online on the 'Cube, are the drop rate of the items you want. Already took down 7 Lagiacrus and still no Lagiacrus Plate. Sometimes I wish you could trade materials in-game or with NPC's so you don't have to take down the same monster a thousand times.

I see you've met my friend the Desire Sensor.

You can maximize your chances for items by breaking the right parts, cutting tails and taking a look at drop tables to figure out if carving or capturing will give you better chances at what you want. In your case I think you're supposed to break his face and capture. But things like Plates/Rubies are always going to be rare. I'm farming Jhen right now and his good stuff has some ridiculously tiny droprates.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Right, but if I'm out on a gathering trip, it seems to give me that message, too. Are there things I could bring back to the supply box for more resource points if I need/want?

Right. You can get Wyvern Tears even if free hunt mode, the game just doesn't want you to keep them. Thus you get rewards for items you can't bring back to town.

And what is four 30-40 seconds? Do you mean like, 4 minutes? Sorry, I'm just confused by your wording!

I meant "for", sorry. :p It feels like it takes forever but it's probably less than a minute. Navigating the menus will honestly take the most time of the whole affair.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Right. You can get Wyvern Tears even if free hunt mode, the game just doesn't want you to keep them. Thus you get rewards for items you can't bring back to town.

I meant "for", sorry. :p It feels like it takes forever but it's probably less than a minute. Navigating the menus will honestly take the most time of the whole affair.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Mupod

The other "application" isn't ready yet...right?

The one that lets you have a person on the 3DS piggy back online while someone else plays the WiiU?

I don't think you can even use the Wii U when it's being used for tunneling. It's pretty much just for people who have a Wii U and don't want to buy two copies of the game.

ramyeon

So I have a full set of Jaggi armor minus the waist. Where on earth do I find a King's Frill? I figured it'd be a carve after breaking a great jaggi's frill but I've yet to find one even after killing like 10 of them :/
I don't think you can even use the Wii U when it's being used for tunneling. It's pretty much just for people who have a Wii U and don't want to buy two copies of the game.
Yeah I think more than anything it's for Japanese players since the Wii U version wasn't released there as far as I know?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to unlock both shakalakas and the rathalos, diablos, and barioth quests last night for the village quests. Also hopped online last night for the first time with a buddy, but experience was marred by two random whiny bastards who came into the room.

I'll probably hop on later tonight, so if anyone wants to come along, let me know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I have a full set of Jaggi armor minus the waist. Where on earth do I find a King's Frill? I figured it'd be a carve after breaking a great jaggi's frill but I've yet to find one even after killing like 10 of them :/

Yeah I think more than anything it's for Japanese players since the Wii U version wasn't released there as far as I know?

I got all my frills after breaking his frill and getting a reward. I got 4 in 4 kills, my friend took significantly longer. It's random, but breaking his frill is a start.

Mupod

It was a Wii U launch title there, called Monster Hunter 3G Hd Ver.

And yeah just break his frill and pray. It'll show up in the wound/capture box at the end. I think you can increase your chance at it by capturing him but I can't check for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom