• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxy

I don't really want to pay more money for the digital version than retailers are charging for it, also I am currently with very limited Internet. Though it looks like there is no real alternative :(

Says four copies are left on Amazon UK.
Found extra copies under a box? Be quick!

LTWheels

Doing the bloodstone gathering mission in the Tundra with my starting gear gemmed up with gathering gems. Mining, mining, mining, then this giant giggi with wings comes out of no where and I shit a brick.

daxy

Doing the bloodstone gathering mission in the Tundra with my starting gear gemmed up with gathering gems. Mining, mining, mining, then this giant giggi with wings comes out of no where and I shit a brick.

Then Gigginox joins and shits Giggi piles. AAAAAAHHHH
Can't mine that.

Chuckpebble

So mad lagiacrus armor got nerfed.

Talkin' about low rank? I'm OK with it. I think the one I liked the most early on was Barroth, I was a little disappointed at first, but even though they added some new skills, they'd still have to spread them all around a bit with all of the new armor sets you can get. So its understandable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ko0IiMw.gif

I don't think I get this reference.

B00TE

Hehe. I was quite surprised myself. I've played a little with some fellow gaf members, and we decided to fight a Pink Rathian. I got caught in that attack: 80% of my life bar gone (I play bowgun), and poisoned. If I hadn't been full life, I guess I would have died.
Nasty little wyvern. She loved to hover, but I managed to get her back to the ground a couple times.

Found our first attempt, forgot I was streaming at the time.
http://www.twitch.tv/b00te/b/380650771
46:44 to about 52:44. That's embarrassing. Still, also making me laugh cause you can tell a minute or so in that we were like "OH CRAP, THAT DAMAGE". Also occured to me that I don't think I charged an attack once during that fight. :/

ramyeon

Just finished my first armor set (Jaggi). Taking it slow, but I love this game already.
Just finished that set too, feels good! Need to start moving along with the quests though, I've just been farming and repeating old quests for the past 3 hours haha.

daxy

Question: how do you break out of being grabbed by someone like Rathalos, Rathian and Gigginox? I keep bashing all the buttons and twisting the sticks. Sometimes it seems to work? More often than not the purple bar is almost empty by the time I manage to get out.

explodet

My partner managed to get a Great Jaggi Head drop in single player, and was able to create the Jaggi Mask. Still looks cool, but they changed the skill on it! Used to be Good Luck, but now it's Gathering +10, which I suppose is still okay.

Tik-Tok

I can't decide on which weapon I like best :(
In the demo and early in the real game I liked the Gunlance a lot, but I don't know if it really holds up. Now I think I'm leaning towards the Hammer or maybe the light Bowgun. I pretty much change my weapon every time I head out trying to decide which one I like best :/

Any advice ?

Question: how do you break out of being grabbed by someone like Rathalos, Rathian and Gigginox? I keep bashing all the buttons and twisting the sticks. Sometimes it seems to work? More often than not the purple bar is almost empty by the time I manage to get out.

think you just have to roll the stick in circles rapidly to get out.

Anyways, the HR1 quests at the port...is the quest list really supposed to be so short? I don't think it covers very many monsters at all lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Any tips for soloing Qurupeco? Feels like most of my attacks bounce off his flanks and rear even at max sharpness. I'm currently rocking a Bone Hammer + and the headgear, mail, and leggings from the Qurupeco set

Hoodbury

Dung bomb will get you out instantly.

If you're online and not in danger of dying, sometimes it's best to just let the monster do their thing while your teammates can get in some good free hits.

Ohnonono

Any tips for soloing Qurupeco? Feels like most of my attacks bounce off his flanks and rear even at max sharpness. I'm currently rocking a Bone Hammer + and the headgear, mail, and leggings from the Qurupeco set

If your using the hammers full charge attack while standing still you should not bounce off stuff.

explodet

Dung bombs help too. Use them if you're trapped and they'll let go faster.
There's also the Felyne Slider kitchen skill if you think it'll help.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Neck and head, always. Since you're hammer you should be able to smash his stupid fricking face wide open and it'll look like he has a split lip. It's great.

oracrest

Do you guys know if it's possible to have someone with a 3DS playing with a WiiU to connect online and play with other random online people?

Is the 3DS/WiiU connectivity only isolated to local play?

Ohnonono

I can't decide on which weapon I like best :(
In the demo and early in the real game I liked the Gunlance a lot, but I don't know if it really holds up. Now I think I'm leaning towards the Hammer or maybe the light Bowgun. I pretty much change my weapon every time I head out trying to decide which one I like best :/

Any advice ?

If your solo Hammers are pretty rad without a lot of drawback. Just make sure you keep a secondary weapon to cut tails and stuff when you need to.

Salaadin

Gaf, I need some quick opinions.

Im a SnS user who feels like hes being left behind in terms of damage. I like the speed and mobility of SnS but Im not entirely sure that my playstyle fits that weapon. I run away and kite monsters a lot, only striking when I have a good chance to do so and then I roll dodge away and repeat. I feel like, because of this, Im taking way too long to kill things and need something with a little more oomph behind it.

So Im looking at other blade weapons. Im torn between Long Sword, Great Sword, and Switch Axe. Right now, based on the way I play, I think GS will be my best bet but Im wondering what you guys think.

Haunted

Just wanted to farm some sharqskins in Moga Woods, came out with a hunt report worth over 2000 resources just because a new monster seemed to be popping up in each new zone (Jaggi + Ludroth + Lagi).

... and then there were no sharqs due to Ludroth Breeding. ;_;

Is every monster solo-able in this game? I mean I'm sure the answer is yes, but can everything be killed solo without being some kind of MH combat God or using glitches or something?

I am so drawn into this game but I'm on 3DS only and worried I'll hit a wall somewhere without multiplayer.

Pineconn

Just wanted to farm some sharqskins in Moga Woods, came out with a hunt report worth over 2000 resources just because a new monster seemed to be popping up in each new zone (Jaggi + Ludroth + Lagi).

... and then there were no sharqs due to Ludroth Breeding. ;_;

It took me about 20–25 Sharqs to get one fucking Sharqskin, I kid you not. I don't remember having that much difficulty getting them in Tri. But seriously, all I would get were Sharpened Fangs and Raw Meat. If I wanted meat, I would go kill Aptonoths! :mad:

Mzo

Upgrade your weapon? Quru is super predictable, you should be able to superpound his face pretty easily. I don't think that ever bounces off.

I killed the first multiplayer Quru with the Iron Sword+ while two of my friends ran around naked with beginning weapons (that's what you get when you buy the game a day before PAX East) but it was a pain in the ass because it took forever.

Hoodbury

Im a SnS user who feels like hes being left behind in terms of damage. I like the speed and mobility of SnS but Im not entirely sure that my playstyle fits that weapon. I run away and kite monsters a lot, only striking when I have a good chance to do so and then I roll dodge away and repeat. I feel like, because of this, Im taking way too long to kill things and need something with a little more oomph behind it.

So Im looking at other blade weapons. Im torn between Long Sword, Great Sword, and Switch Axe. Right now, based on the way I play, I think GS will be my best bet but Im wondering what you guys think.

Well, GS is about as opposite of SnS as you can get. So if you're looking to go from one end of the spectrum to the other(weak and fast to slow and powerful) then GS would be it.

If you're looking for a bit more of a gradual change, LS or Switch Axe would be good too.

Haunted

Long Swords are a bit more committal, doing more damage with longer combos (and charging up along the way). With Switch-Axes, it's also recommended to do longer combos, but the startup strike is strong as well. A big one-shot weapon like the Greatsword is not exactly hit and run, with that heavy thing in your hands it's more like hit and slowly drag yourself away, especially if you're used to the quickness of the SnS. :lol

Another possibility would be Dual Blades - they have the mobility you're used to from SnS but have a bit more damage output if you decide to stick around to combo a bit and charge them up.

Based on your hit and run playstyle, I'd probably recommend the Longsword, the directional sweep attack (X+A+direction) is a great way to get out of harm's way quickly. The best tip, as usual, is to try out all the weapons you're considering for a leisurely hunt or two and just go with what feels good. :D

Ohnonono

Is every monster solo-able in this game? I mean I'm sure the answer is yes, but can everything be killed solo without being some kind of MH combat God or using glitches or something?

I am so drawn into this game but I'm on 3DS only and worried I'll hit a wall somewhere without multiplayer.

Yes. You need to be geared up and be good to beat the really really hard stuff (at least in the old games.) but it was totally doable. If you play through the single player stuff and are upgrading and crafting you should be fine to then jump into the multi stuff solo and not really have issues imo.

Infinite

if you're using an sns you should create more opportunities to attack instead of hit and running. Take advantage of the mobility, blocking, and item usage while weapon is drawn to do so. SnS is my favorite weapon and I used it since monster hunter.

I think you should try hammer however since you still haven't mobility with it but you're attacks are strong albeit a bit slower than SnS

Hoodbury

Long Swords are a bit more committal, doing more damage with longer combos (and charging up along the way). With Switch-Axes, it's also recommended to do longer combos, but the startup strike is strong as well. A big one-shot weapons like the Greatsword is not exactly hit and run, with that heavy thing in your hands it's more like hit and slowly creep away, especially if you're used to the quickness of the SnS. :lol

GS is about as hit and run as you can get. Get the big hit in and then roll away to get ready for the next big hit.

Hit -> roll -> sheath -> position -> Hit -> roll -> sheath -> position

You never walk around with your GS out. So if you're slowly creeping away, you're "doing it wrong".

OrigiNull

As said before I am new to the series but I have now gotten to the 4 star quests solo, when should I be playing quest multiplayer? When I beat the MP do i get credit in SP or are they completely separate?

Hoodbury

As said before I am new to the series but I have now gotten to the 4 star quests solo, when should I be playing quest multiplayer? When I beat the MP do i get credit in SP or are they completely separate?

You can go online anytime you want. The MP and SP are separate quest wise, but your character and it's items is all static.

Prade

Due to the lack of range of the sns, it's kind of hard to hit weak points on a lot of monsters, and if it isn't paired with the right elemental weakness that the monster has, then you'll be in for a long fight. Sounds like you're still new too and don't have monsters patterns to a tee yet. The Sns is meant to fight circles around most monsters. Get in, hit it 4-6 times, roll away, rinse and repeat. I had your problem when I started this game too, and abandoned the sns for the GS. After about 1000 hours of playtime in Tri, I'm only respectable with it. Goes to show how difficult a weapon it is to use right. If you're willing to just stick with it though, go for it. Watch videos and don't be afraid to ask us for some pointers. My advice to a beginner using a GS? Don't walk to monsters with the weapon out, and stay away from super long combos. You'll be wanting to try and land lvl 2 and 3 charges as much as possible. Thing is, for a beginner that's really tough lol. Try and play hit and run with the GS at first(run up to a monster and press X and roll away) and learn when you can land a charge on it. Generally to reach a lvl 3 charge it takes about 3 seconds, so don't get too greedy either. If you predict the monster is gonna move before a lvl3 just settle for the lvl2.

Haunted

GS is about as hit and run as you can get. Get the big hit in and then roll away to get ready for the next big hit.

Hit -> roll -> sheath -> position -> Hit -> roll -> sheath -> position

You never walk around with your GS out. So if you're slowly creeping away, you're "doing it wrong".
Well, that's true.

For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of blocking with the GS and waiting for the next opening, but that's only feasible against some monsters and not really recommended because you lose sharpness by blocking (I think).

Hoodbury

Well, that's true.

For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of blocking with the GS and waiting for the next opening, but that's only feasible against some monsters and not really recommended because you lose sharpness by blocking (I think).

Ya you lose quite a bit so blocking isn't really recommended. Better to roll away and sheath and then do another draw attack or hopefully a draw charge attack.

DaBoss

So I went and faced Crimson Qurupeco and didn't think it would call the devil, but...

Qurupeco:
tumblr_mah0mshvdj1qk6mjy3h.gif

Me: *squeals*

I didn't run away though, I let it do my job lol. Surprised by C. Qurupeco's roar.

Infinite

Also there's optimal combos in certain situations with every weapon depending on the monster. I'm very familiar with how to optimize damage with the sns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom