• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitoriginal

Any ones Wii U hard locking when lauching MH3? When I start game up system stays stuck on start up screen playing music. This happened twice already. So far I've gotten 5 freezes with the game and had to pull the cord all 5 times. Is this normal or is my wii u getting busted? I thoought Nintendo fixed freezes with a earlier update. Freezing at game boot up is retarded.

Haven't had a single hard lock myself!

King_Moc

Banned
So I have a full set of Jaggi armor minus the waist. Where on earth do I find a King's Frill? I figured it'd be a carve after breaking a great jaggi's frill but I've yet to find one even after killing like 10 of them :/

I got several from doing that. Sounds like you've just been unlucky.

persongr

So I have a full set of Jaggi armor minus the waist. Where on earth do I find a King's Frill? I figured it'd be a carve after breaking a great jaggi's frill but I've yet to find one even after killing like 10 of them :/

Yeah I think more than anything it's for Japanese players since the Wii U version wasn't released there as far as I know?

What the other guys said, but you should hunt/capture it them while in a quest. Free hunting in Moga Woods won't give you the Wound/Cap rewards.

King_Moc

Banned
Any ones Wii U hard locking when lauching MH3? When I start game up system stays stuck on start up screen playing music. This happened twice already. So far I've gotten 5 freezes with the game and had to pull the cord all 5 times. Is this normal or is my wii u getting busted? I thoought Nintendo fixed freezes with a earlier update. Freezing at game boot up is retarded.

Is your copy digital and is your hdd connected via one or two usb cables?

explodet

Managed to unlock both shakalakas and the rathalos, diablos, and barioth quests last night for the village quests. Also hopped online last night for the first time with a buddy, but experience was marred by two random whiny bastards who came into the room.
I've been playing online with just one other person and leaving out randoms. Both of us bringing Cha-Cha makes for a viable hunting experience, strangely.

Just make sure to use the bunny mask if you don't want them attacking, like if you want to capture the monster and don't want stray hits messing things up.

We're working on HR 2 monsters - Gigginox is a joke with full Wroggi armor, Rathalos was still a punk, Diablos was much larger than I remember, and since when could Barioth hip check like that?!?

ramyeon

It was a Wii U launch title there, called Monster Hunter 3G Hd Ver.

And yeah just break his frill and pray. It'll show up in the wound/capture box at the end. I think you can increase your chance at it by capturing him but I can't check for sure.
Oh okay, so from the sounds of it I have to be in a quest not free hunting, that's probably the problem. Gonna give it another shot now!

Mupod

I've been playing online with just one other person and leaving out randoms. Both of us bringing Cha-Cha makes for a viable hunting experience, strangely.

Just make sure to use the bunny mask if you don't want them attacking, like if you want to capture the monster and don't want stray hits messing things up.

We're working on HR 2 monsters - Gigginox is a joke with full Wroggi armor, Rathalos was still a punk, Diablos was much larger than I remember, and since when could Barioth hip check like that?!?

Barioth got some tweaks in Portable 3rd to differentiate him from Nargacuga, since they brought that monster back. The hipcheck basically does nothing but leave his head wide open 90% of the time so...yeah.

edit: I also have a theory that since Plesioth is back they gave every monster a hipcheck during his welcome back party.

Just doing the Golden Fish quest. Why has my character suddenly got no stamina?

I have no idea how you'd suddenly lose all your stamina, but if you mean a gradual degradation over time, you need to eat.

Abandond

Damn. Last time I browsed this thread on my phone was Thursday and I was on page 97. Crazy how many posts there has been in 4 days.

I tried bow and killed a great Jaggi. Far more difficult than the other weapons imo but felt very cool. I need to get some coated arrows though. Is there any other 'combo' aside from holding down Y?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Just doing the Golden Fish quest. Why has my character suddenly got no stamina?

If you're running out of stamina for that quest, you're probably doing it wrong.

If this is the quest in moga woods, get to the fishing spot. If you don't see a goldenfish, jump into the water to clear the fish. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.

DaBoss

Damn. Last time I browsed this thread on my phone was Thursday and I was on page 97. Crazy how many posts there has been in 4 days.

I tried bow and killed a great Jaggi. Far more difficult than the other weapons imo but felt very cool. I need to get some coated arrows though. Is there any other 'combo' aside from holding down Y?

You're using GAF wrong. It should have been page 48. :p

meppi

Nintendo just sent me a very extensive questionnaire about my Monster Hunter purchase. They wanted to know all kinds of stuff:

Which games in the series have you played before?
What are you favorite features?
How would you compare it to other games like Pokemon?
Have you recommended it?

I don#t think I every got such a thing after I registered a game with Club Nintendo. Seems like Nintendo is pretty serious about this series.

Yeah it was quite extensive this time.

As for what the biggest comparison it had to Pokémon, I answered that I felt the games were very different and not at all alike, but that at least both titles had Monster in it. ;)

B-Dex

Yeah it was quite extensive this time.

As for what the biggest comparison it had to Pokémon, I answered that I felt the games were very different and not at all alike, but that at least both titles had Monster in it. ;)

If they made Poke Hunter. Japan would implode.

denshuu

I'm surprised at how much attention this game is getting. I was worried there wouldn't be many people online to play with (there are, literally, less than 20 or 30 people playing CoD or Madden on Wii U online at any given moment, and Sega All-Stars Racing has dried up almots completely).

Turns out, there's like 4000 people online at all hours. I'm wondering how many people bought Wii Us primarily for Monster Hunter.

How often should I be looking at upgrades? I just finished all of the 1* and the first Urgent quest. I'm still using one of the starting weapons. Should I just keep using it until I get my ass kicked? I don't want to waste a bunch of time and materials doing every upgrade if it's not necessary.

Busaiku

If this is the quest in moga woods, get to the fishing spot. If you don't see a goldenfish, jump into the water to clear the fish. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.

The fish that were regularly there automatically swim away when I cast the Goldenfish Bait.
Only Goldenfish show up when I through that out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How often should I be looking at upgrades? I just finished all of the 1* and the first Urgent quest. I'm still using one of the starting weapons. Should I just keep using it until I get my ass kicked? I don't want to waste a bunch of time and materials doing every upgrade if it's not necessary.

Every upgrade is one step closer to the really good shit, so upgrade your favorite weapons as you go. Pick your path by looking at the wiki or the weapon chart. It's very important to stay on top of your weapon upgrades as you go as it will make your life a LOT easier (not to mention, sharper weapons = less bounces).

Armor is also important to upgrade, but it's more important to craft sets that have bonuses you like or want or need.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Upgrade when you need to. It'll save you money and resources for when you really need it.

When you finally get to a point where money and resources are easy to get, then you can splurge. I'm at the 5 star village quests, and I'm only starting to splurge now.

denshuu

I usually make a new set every 2 or 3 stars. My village progression went Leather -> Qurupeco -> Gigginox -> HR Qurupeco -> HR Gigginox

Every upgrade is one step closer to the really good shit, so upgrade your favorite weapons as you go. Pick your path by looking at the wiki or the weapon chart. It's very important to stay on top of your weapon upgrades as you go as it will make your life a LOT easier (not to mention, sharper weapons = less bounces).

Armor is also important to upgrade, but it's more important to craft sets that have bonuses you like or want or need.

Ah shit.... I didn't realize it was a tree. That makes a lot more sense now.

So, I'm assuming forging some of this stuff outright takes more materials than upgrading along the path would as well?

For example, I use dual swords. In the shop I can forge a Ludroth Pair. Would I be better off buying the Bone Scythes and upgrading along the tree to get to that Ludroth Pair?

GAF mobile user's should always have 100 post per page =P, works brilliantly till a GIF heavy thread lol. And yeah same I've been GAF a lot because of Monster Hunter lol, cept recruiting Euro GAF for online =D

So, I'm assuming forging some of this stuff outright takes more materials than upgrading along the path would as well?

For example, I use dual swords. In the shop I can forge a Ludroth Pair. Would I be better off buying the Bone Scythes and upgrading along the tree to get to that Ludroth Pair?
Hmmm the only beneficial to upgrading will be the lesser cost of the weapon, I believe(?) if you lack the fund and really hankering for a stronger weapon go upgrade. Else just forge them and maybe the weapon you are currently using can be upgraded to a different route.

Hoodbury

In my opinion upgrading your weapon and forging newer ones is more important than armour.

You'll want better sharpness and cooler looking weapons.

Morokh

Seems like you can freely type text with an USB keyboard without editing one of the pre-registered sentence everytime, is it not possible with the gamepad ?

bitoriginal

I'm surprised at how much attention this game is getting. I was worried there wouldn't be many people online to play with (there are, literally, less than 20 or 30 people playing CoD or Madden on Wii U online at any given moment, and Sega All-Stars Racing has dried up almots completely).

Turns out, there's like 4000 people online at all hours. I'm wondering how many people bought Wii Us primarily for Monster Hunter.

I'm one of them! Got it on 3ds but I wanted more.

My working day really needs to hurry up and finish...

B00TE

Pink Rathian has been a fun fight. Massacred my friends and I the first time we tried to take her down, then I went back by myself because we had pretty much turned normal Rathalos/Rathian fights into a stomp (all but one of us has played just about all the games too) and I was determined to keep that up. Used all my healing items, but I dropped her myself, and it felt so good. The attack that kept doing us in was one of the new moves she had,
where she does what looks like a 1080 flip rather than the normal backflip. She does a similar backstep to the normal flip before doing it.
Spoiler marked in case people want to discover that pain on their own. Was great to be annoyed by Rathian again, now I just have to keep this up.

Have yet to try playing with randoms yet, may do so later. Or try to play with GAF at some point and stream it for giggles. :eek:

Seems like you can freely type text with an USB keyboard without editing one of the pre-registered sentence everytime, is it not possible with the gamepad ?
On the touch screen press the chat part, I believe you can type it that way then, though I'd rather use the USB keyboard.

Kyari

Tracking down this game on 3DS in the uk is proving to be a pain. I can't find it in stock anywhere unless I buy the bundle with the 3DS. Even amazon is sold out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I actually have two sets of Lances that I'm upgrading because one gives me different elemental bonuses that another doesn't. Also, one has a HUGE chunk of yellow sharpness, so sharpening is less of an issue during most fights.

You really have to weigh the options. Elemental weapons are really great, especially for DS (super fast attacks = yes please). Pop an Energy Drink and go ape shit.

You'll likely want to look at your tree, look at monster weakness, and start focusing on a few sets (probably two for now). I know that's vague, but because of weakness and sharpness and playstyle, certain weapons will fit you more than others.

demon arm

Nintendo just sent me a very extensive questionnaire about my Monster Hunter purchase. They wanted to know all kinds of stuff:

Which games in the series have you played before?
What are you favorite features?
How would you compare it to other games like Pokemon?
Have you recommended it?

I don#t think I every got such a thing after I registered a game with Club Nintendo. Seems like Nintendo is pretty serious about this series.

That was quite a long and involved questionnaire for a measly 50 stars!

Zarovitch

Yeah it,s seem to have many people, i was surprise when i try it last night.

But for COD there's always at least 3000 peoples online.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I vow to not go back online until I complete my agna armor.

Let gaf be my witness

Abandond

It might as well have been.

Ok so fighting two great jaggis with only like 1/8th of your stamina, 0 food and no coating aint easy. But doable. I love Cha-cha.

Do monsters regen health when they run away? I was considering getting some raw meat and cooking it when the mob ran to the next zone.

denshuu

Do monsters regen health when they run away? I was considering getting some raw meat and cooking it when the mob ran to the next zone.

Only when it goes to sleep. And even then, it's a really, really slow regen. I've ended a lot of hunts by hitting a monster one time while it was sleeping and it dying immediately.

Nohar

Pink Rathian has been a fun fight. Massacred my friends and I the first time we tried to take her down, then I went back by myself because we had pretty much turned normal Rathalos/Rathian fights into a stomp (all but one of us has played just about all the games too) and I was determined to keep that up. Used all my healing items, but I dropped her myself, and it felt so good. The attack that kept doing us in was one of the new moves she had,
where she does what looks like a 1080 flip rather than the normal backflip. She does a similar backstep to the normal flip before doing it.
Spoiler marked in case people want to discover that pain on their own. Was great to be annoyed by Rathian again, now I just have to keep this up.

Have yet to try playing with randoms yet, may do so later. Or try to play with GAF at some point and stream it for giggles. :eek:

Hehe. I was quite surprised myself. I've played a little with some fellow gaf members, and we decided to fight a Pink Rathian. I got caught in that attack: 80% of my life bar gone (I play bowgun), and poisoned. If I hadn't been full life, I guess I would have died.
Nasty little wyvern. She loved to hover, but I managed to get her back to the ground a couple times.

I actually have two sets of Lances that I'm upgrading because one gives me different elemental bonuses that another doesn't. Also, one has a HUGE chunk of yellow sharpness, so sharpening is less of an issue during most fights.

You really have to weigh the options. Elemental weapons are really great, especially for DS (super fast attacks = yes please). Pop an Energy Drink and go ape shit.

You'll likely want to look at your tree, look at monster weakness, and start focusing on a few sets (probably two for now). I know that's vague, but because of weakness and sharpness and playstyle, certain weapons will fit you more than others.

Gotcha - thanks for the info. I think I'll forge one and upgrade my current one then!

It's really incredible how much depth there is to this game!

Kyari

EShop do it =) What I did and so happy game is always on the system.
I don't really want to pay more money for the digital version than retailers are charging for it, also I am currently with very limited Internet. Though it looks like there is no real alternative :(

The Wii U is definitely sending her siren's song my way. I am only about 10 hours into the village on 3DS. Killed R. Ludroth before bed, and really feeling an online itch. R. Ludroth was the first HR quest I did with a full group in Tri, so I'm feeling nostalgic.

Gonna try to start farming that sick Wroggi set tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom