• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, when you guys say "smash his beak in" what are you talking about? Because it seems like he puts his head near the ground where I can smash it once every five minutes, and for like a three second window that I'm never able to capitalize on because I spend most of my time far away from him to avoid getting my ass handed to me.

qko

Oh god Qurupeco should not be allowed to summon a Great Jaggi who then summons his own army of Jaggis. Impossible to use any item

Completely forget about the Qurupeco at that point. Go for the Great Jaggi first. Paintball the Qurupeco and go after him later.

On that mission you need to go straight for the Qurupeco at the beginning of the quest in order to have enough time to put on some severe damage so by the time the Q calls the Great Jaggi, it's ready to leave you alone with the Jaggis.

Hoodbury

Just wait until Peco calls in... something massive, angry, and hungry.

That massive, angry, and hungry monster got the killing blow in on Los for some of us last night. Love when that happens. Makes it tough to get your carves in though when he's in the same zone as you and the carcass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I went and faced Crimson Qurupeco and didn't think it would call the devil, but...

Qurupeco:
tumblr_mah0mshvdj1qk6mjy3h.gif

Me: *squeals*

I didn't run away though, I let it do my job lol. Surprised by C. Qurupeco's roar.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Well, that's true.

For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of blocking with the GS and waiting for the next opening, but that's only feasible against some monsters and not really recommended because you lose sharpness by blocking (I think).
You do. Also, it is unlikely a GS user will have a good blocking skill armor set to help compensate. I have see countless lancers die over estimating their blocking ability, so GS users should not join that club.

Hit and run is the norm, and like hammers, requires learning timing, especially for the breakable parts. High hanging tails especially.

So yeah, i got it today. First mh game and damn does the demo don"t do justice to this incredible game..

You can add me at dglavimans if you like, and when i sorted out how i can play online.. :s

Chuckpebble

Well, that's true.

For some reason I was thinking more along the lines of blocking with the GS and waiting for the next opening, but that's only feasible against some monsters and not really recommended because you lose sharpness by blocking (I think).

You want to block with GS as an absolute last resort. Blocking takes your sharpness down in huge chunks.

Orayn

Gaf. Switch Axe's; how do they work?

Axe mode has a huge reach, infinite combo, doesn't slow you down, and can be used as much as you like. Your energy (yellow meter under stamina bar) also recharges while in axe mode.

Sword mode, which you start/stop by pressing R with your weapon drawn or by pressing A+X without it drawn, constantly drains your energy and slows you down while it's drawn, but the weapon's phial applies special effects and you can spend energy to do overload attack by pressing A+X, then mashing X. If you spend too much energy, you get kicked out of sword mode and have to wait for it to recharge.

Okay, when you guys say "smash his beak in" what are you talking about? Because it seems like he puts his head near the ground where I can smash it once every five minutes, and for like a three second window that I'm never able to capitalize on because I spend most of my time far away from him to avoid getting my ass handed to me.

Getting hits on Quru's beak is heavily dependent on the weapon you use. What are you fighting him with?

Mzo

Unless the damage modifiers have been changed for 3U I would suggest not using SnS. Last time that was any good was Freedom because the coefficient was crazy busted.

If you want to be SnS because it lets you block, try lances. They deal great damage, have great elemental properties and are fairly easy to use.

I personally stick to GS and Hammers, but there are definite advantages to using specific weapon types on some monsters.

Infinite

Unless the damage modifiers have been changed for 3U I would suggest not using SnS. Last time that was any good was Freedom because the coefficient was crazy busted.

If you want to be SnS because it lets you block, try lances. They deal great damage, have great elemental properties and are fairly easy to use.

I personally stick to GS and Hammers, but there are definite advantages to using specific weapon types on some monsters.
nah sns is a solid weapon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I never actually used it in Tri before switching weapons, but the Great Sword up thrust attack thing is better than sliced bread. Able to attack in front of you, above you, and behind you, and it's not any slower than a normal non-charged attack (maybe it is.)

Hoodbury

The super pound attack will not bounce so you can just use that as your primary attack. Hold R while the hammer is out and let it fully charge, then run up to Peco, stop in your tracks, and release R. It'll do a two part attack and then immediately roll after. Make sure you pay attention to your stamina bar as holding the R button will drain it.

Just spam that attack while Peco is upright. When you knock him over or knock him out, then do your triple X attack on his face.

Lyonaz

I love fighting Qurupecos and always let them call in help.
Arzuros and Great Jaggi are the only big game he call in for help at this stage of my playthrough and they aren't that difficult to dispatch with my Longsword, but I can't wait for some Wyverns, Dragons or whatever to swoop in.
Also that full spirit combo with the Longsword where you sheath your sword is like the sexiest move ever, especially when it kills your prey.

Hoodbury

So I never actually used it in Tri before switching weapons, but the Great Sword up thrust attack thing is better than sliced bread. Able to attack in front of you, above you, and behind you, and it's not any slower than a normal non-charged attack (maybe it is.)

It'll send your teammates flying though, so it doesn't get much use in multiplayer.

Mzo

All of his attacks are easy to dodge, just circle strafe him. IIRC he only spin attacks with his tail in one direction, so strafe the other way.

As an example, after an attack he will turn in place with little hops until he's facing you (a lot of monsters do this). Stand on his butt or so and time the hammer so you smash his face when he spins towards you.

If you can't see when to hit, watch some videos online.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It'll send your teammates flying though, so it doesn't get much use in multiplayer.

That's what I've heard, yeah. But it may come in handy on annoying Long Sword users. :p

I think it also might be useful for getting someone out of the way of an attack, but obviously that's very situational.

Mzo

nah sns is a solid weapon
Has it improved, or would you also claim that it was solid in Tri?

If they changed it then awesome, I love SnS. If you are of the opinion that it was a viable choice in Tri for anything other than status inflicting in a 4 man group which a gunner could do better, I respectfully disagree.

Orayn

It's nice for hitting heads, chins, and tails, getting in a quick slice if you miss with an unsheathe attack, or taking care of little guys like Jaggis, but be very careful with it in multiplayer. Its hitbox is enormous and it sends other plays flying into the air, which takes a long time to recover from. You can, in theory, use that to save people from getting hit by things, but it's a long shot.

For GS, running in circles around a monster and hitting it with an unsheathe attack should be your bread and butter, possibly charged and followed by a side smack and super-charge if you have a big enough opening.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

EWmof.gif

Thanks dude.

It's nice for hitting heads, chins, and tails, getting in a quick slice if you miss with an unsheathe attack, or taking care of little guys like Jaggis, but be very careful with it in multiplayer. Its hitbox is enormous and it sends other plays flying into the air, which takes a long time to recover from. You can, in theory, use that to save people from getting hit by things, but it's a long shot.

For GS, running in circles around a monster and hitting it with an unsheathe attack should be your bread and butter, possibly charged and followed by a side smack and super-charge if you have a big enough opening.

Indeed it is. I was just excited to find a new attack that fills a big hole I was having in Tri.

I used the A/spin attack a lot back in the day but I use it much less often these days.

Haunted

Gaf. Switch Axe's; how do they work?
Hello, Tik Tok. Look at your axe, look at the monster, press R, look back at your axe, it's now a sword. I’m on a Jaggi.

Seriously though, the axe mode has some long, even continuous combos and grants some mobility. I like to think of sword mode as the slow, but high damage "finisher" mode, depending on where you're at you can do some cool finishers with a forward jump slash (left stick forward and X) or the Burst Discharge (+ and mash X).

Infinite

Has it improved, or would you also claim that it was solid in Tri?

If they changed it then awesome, I love SnS. If you are of the opinion that it was a viable choice in Tri for anything other than status inflicting in a 4 man group which a gunner could do better, I respectfully disagree.
I mean it comes down to preference but I bested tri with a sns alone

Hoodbury

i just mined a rustshard so i guess im not on one of those cursed table things

I think only 2 of the 5 cursed tables didn't have rustshards. So there are cursed tables and also 2 super cursed tables. If you didn't verify, I guess you could still be on one of the other 3 cursed tables.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The super pound attack will not bounce so you can just use that as your primary attack. Hold R while the hammer is out and let it fully charge, then run up to Peco, stop in your tracks, and release R. It'll do a two part attack and then immediately roll after. Make sure you pay attention to your stamina bar as holding the R button will drain it.

Just spam that attack while Peco is upright. When you knock him over or knock him out, then do your triple X attack on his face.

Yeah, I've been using that, but it still bounces off his sides

Mupod

Okay, so I'd like to make Aelucanth armor (the bug set) or at least some of it for the dragon attack bonus. However, it says I need some kind of butterfly for the parts and near as I can tell this is only available from one method: getting someone's guild card and sending out the random hunter you get as a result. From what it sounds like, you can apparently send them on missions like Trenya in the portable games.

Is it that simple? Can I just go online and grab people's guild cards? I hear it works with Streetpass too but yeah I'm not gonna find anyone around here with the game. Since I won't be online for a week starting tomorrow I guess I gotta get this done tonight.

Hoodbury

Okay, so I'd like to make Aelucanth armor (the bug set) or at least some of it for the dragon attack bonus. However, it says I need some kind of butterfly for the parts and near as I can tell this is only available from one method: getting someone's guild card and sending out the random hunter you get as a result. From what it sounds like, you can apparently send them on missions like Trenya in the portable games.

Is it that simple? Can I just go online and grab people's guild cards? I hear it works with Streetpass too but yeah I'm not gonna find anyone around here with the game. Since I won't be online for a week starting tomorrow I guess I gotta get this done tonight.

People need to send you their guild cards. I don't think you can grab them yourself. You then go to the offline tanzia port and you will see their hunter in the tavern part and you can send them on the quest. Then wait a couple quests/in-game days and check back and you'll get your results from them.

Mupod

People need to send you their guild cards. I don't think you can grab them yourself. You then go to the offline tanzia port and you will see their hunter in the tavern part and you can send them on the quest. Then wait a couple quests/in-game days and check back and you'll get your results from them.

I see. Does the NPC hunter only show up once per guild card? If so I'm gonna be bugging GAF tonight for help...

Hoodbury

Hmm, maybe it's only the down swing part that doesn't bounce. I can give it a try tonight when I get home, it's been awhile since I've used a hammer with low sharpness.

But if you have access right now, see if you can line it up so only the down part would hit. Unless they changed a core mechanic of hammers from the other games, it shouldn't bounce ever.

Hoodbury

I see. Does the NPC hunter only show up once per guild card? If so I'm gonna be bugging GAF tonight for help...

Last night was my first time playing around with that system so I'm no expert or fully understand everything myself, but I did see one I used early come back again. I'm not sure if it gave the same quest though.

You don't get to pick the quest they go on either. I'm not sure how it assigns the quest. Some were just basic goldenfish quest, others were like upper tier Gobul fights.

And to be clear, you don't go on the quest with them, you just sorta send them off and then they come back after a couple of in-game days for you to see if it was a success or not.

You can also spend more money to make sure it has a higher percentage of success. Since money isn't really a problem in this game I've always just paid the full price and sent 4 out at a time.

Mupod

So yeah, sounds like Trenya. Except Trenya needed his games' equivalent of resources so it wasn't that easy. He was great for getting rare stuff early though.

I can't believe they found a way to make the beetleborg armor MORE of a pain in the ass to get. And it's not even half as good as it was in P3rd.

In other news village Jhen is farm status but man he's a drain on my honey. I need new armor. I can make his chestpiece now which will massively boost my def once I upgrade it, and if I use an expert gem, my +7 dragon +5 expert charm, and torso inc Volvidon boots I'll be able to hit critical eye +2 just from wearing it.

Probably a stupid question but does anyone remember if Jhen's feet cause quake? I'm pretty sure they do but I keep wearing (low rank) Volvidon armor to fight him and that prevents it. I'll need to make sure I keep that ability for my Jhen farming set if so.

Orayn

What's the maximum sharpness of your weapon? Quru has areas on his body that bounce if it's only yellow, and I think his flints will also bounce on green sharpness if you hit them from certain angles. Hell, his TAIL bounces on some things. He's a deceptively heavily armored bird.

So i tried to do some local coop with a 3DS and a wii u, we both went to the multi tavern, sounded the gong thing, but we were never able to connect. is there something i am doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom