• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's your weapon of choice guys? What do you mostly use? I use dual swords but not sure if it's gonna get me far (never used them before).

Salaadin

Thanks for the replies!

Well, GS is about as opposite of SnS as you can get. So if you're looking to go from one end of the spectrum to the other(weak and fast to slow and powerful) then GS would be it.

If you're looking for a bit more of a gradual change, LS or Switch Axe would be good too.

Hmm, ok. I ran this stuff by some other MH players I know and theyre all pretty much saying the same thing.
I think my biggest mistake early on was simply looking at the starting weapons, deciding on SnS, and then selling the rest without ever giving the others a shot.

Ill go back and re-buy some tonight and just test them to see what I like. Should be able to get a better idea now that theres a hefty supply of Great Jaggis in woods.

Based on your hit and run playstyle, I'd probably recommend the Longsword, the directional sweep attack (X+A+direction) is a great way to get out of harm's way quickly. The best tip, as usual, is to try out all the weapons you're considering for a leisurely hunt or two and just go with what feels good. :D

I almost settled on the idea of LS before watching videos of both GS and LS and thinking that I would like the GS more. Still, videos only tell part of the story so Ill have to try them myself. I appreciate the input!

if you're using an sns you should create more opportunities to attack instead of hit and running. Take advantage of the mobility, blocking, and item usage while weapon is drawn to do so. SnS is my favorite weapon and I used it since monster hunter.

I think you should try hammer however since you still haven't mobility with it but you're attacks are strong albeit a bit slower than SnS

Yeah, the way most people play SnS is completely different from the way I play it. Ive always been more of a hit and run type in games like this. I prefer to keep my distance and watch the enemy, waiting for an opportunity, then jumping in for some damage and backing off again. I cant really say why I like it this way but it just feels better to me.

Ill give hammer a go too and see how it feels.

Due to the lack of range of the sns, it's kind of hard to hit weak points on a lot of monsters, and if it isn't paired with the right elemental weakness that the monster has, then you'll be in for a long fight. Sounds like you're still new too and don't have monsters patterns to a tee yet. The Sns is meant to fight circles around most monsters. Get in, hit it 4-6 times, roll away, rinse and repeat. I had your problem when I started this game too, and abandoned the sns for the GS. After about 1000 hours of playtime in Tri, I'm only respectable with it. Goes to show how difficult a weapon it is to use right. If you're willing to just stick with it though, go for it. Watch videos and don't be afraid to ask us for some pointers. My advice to a beginner using a GS? Don't walk to monsters with the weapon out, and stay away from super long combos. You'll be wanting to try and land lvl 2 and 3 charges as much as possible. Thing is, for a beginner that's really tough lol. Try and play hit and run with the GS at first(run up to a monster and press X and roll away) and learn when you can land a charge on it. Generally to reach a lvl 3 charge it takes about 3 seconds, so don't get too greedy either. If you predict the monster is gonna move before a lvl3 just settle for the lvl2.

Oh yeah, Im definitely new. Theres a lot to take in here...more than I thought when I bought the game last week. Thats a good thing though.

Im not opposed to sticking it out with the SnS but I had a pretty frustrating fight with a Royal Ludroth last night. I dont know if it was me or him or just the weapon in general (Ludroths Nail, ironically) but I left the fight victorious but sour. I just didnt feel like I was doing anything to him the entire time until he died. I mean, I got wrecked over and over and, if it wasnt for my mid-battle intermission to dig up mushrooms and herbs for more potions, he would have got me.

So it might not be the weapons fault that things turned out the way they did but Im still going to play around some to see if something suits me better.

The GS sounds like a blast to use but difficult to master. I might be into that.

Mupod

So what's your weapon of choice guys? What do you mostly use? I use dual swords but not sure if it's gonna get me far (never used them before).

I think it's safe to say I've mastered the hunting horn at this point. Been using that mostly.

However since there are no HHs that are reasonable to get until my next tier of high rank quests I've fallen back on hammers, since my rustshard hammer is pretty badass.

I really really want to pick HBG up again. I can make Jhen's right now and it looks like this game's equivlaent of the old Lao Shan Lung cannon which was my go-to HBG in MHFU. But the problem here is finding a good gunner set to make. Don't see anything I like so far that's remotely sane to craft.

Also, don't worry about a weapon not 'getting you far'. You can beat anything with any weapon, and if you do run into trouble on a specific monster it's not hard to learn a new one. Once you understand the monster then it's just a matter of getting used to a new weapon's moveset.

Satch

Banned

i'm trying to master the hunting horn so i can help out with buffs online, but i also use the switch axe

i want to branch out to other weapons though

Chaos

Just got my first armout set rhenoplos, since it was easy to farm.

Im a hammer users and this has knockout king skill, does that mean it should be easier to get knockouts?, or is this more for ranged classes as I noticed it has an artillery skill to.

Just got cha-cha to woot :)

Hoodbury

Just got my first armout set rhenoplos, since it was easy to farm.

Im a hammer users and this has knockout king skill, does that mean it should be easier to get knockouts?, or is this more for ranged classes as I noticed it has an artillery skill to.

Just got cha-cha to woot :)

The KO skill Increases KO damage by 10%

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's the maximum sharpness of your weapon? Quru has areas on his body that bounce if it's only yellow, and I think his flints will also bounce on green sharpness if you hit them from certain angles. Hell, his TAIL bounces on some things. He's a deceptively heavily armored bird.

His armor is amazing though.

Qurupeco-Blademaster.png

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
This is probably one of the most NOOBish questions...but how do I save my game? Does it auto-save or something?

Sorry again, and thanks for any help!

MLH

So after registering my European copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate I received an email from Nintendo to complete a survey about the game. They asked all the standard questions but one particular question took my interest - they asked about the similarities and differences between Monster Hunter and Pokemon. Nintendo gauging interest in a Monster Hunter x Pokemon crossover!? Haha a guy can dream...

Anyway, really enjoying this game almost finished the Moga Village quests and staring on the Port quests. Pretty much stuck to using Lances again, I just love 'em. Hopefully I get a rust shard drop for the Skyscraper lance, I never got that weapon in Tri.

Kurod

Banned

Right now I'm loving the swagaxe. Blasted though to 4 star on an unupgraded leather armor set and bone axe+. Going back to farm Barroth for his armor and my next axe upgrade. I swear he seems like a pushover compared to his Tri version.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

BB6S85gl.jpg

>played LS in the Tri demo
>switched to GS in Tri since LS isn't available at start of the game
>switched back to LS after it unlocked
>tried DS in Ultimate's demo, might come back to them later
>tried LS in Ultimate but something just didn't feel right, and I wanted more DPH
>went back to GS and that's what I'm sticking to for the foreseeable future

I actually feel really agile using the GS when I rarely get hit. Like even though I have this huge heavy thing I'm still dodging most everything.

Hoodbury

This is probably one of the most NOOBish questions...but how do I save my game? Does it auto-save or something?

It asks you if you want to save after every quest. Or you can go to your bed and it will let you save there. There is a bed in both the offline and online areas.

Hoodbury

So far I have only used the GS. I want to also use the hammer. I got the rusted hammer from a rust shard, just need some elderdragon blood to upgrade it a bit more. But so far there always seems to either be 1 or 2 other hammer users and a hunting horn user in my lobbies, so I have just been sticking with the GS so at least someone is getting tails.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The GS sounds like a blast to use but difficult to master. I might be into that.

I'm not a master, but as a somewhat-adept GS user it does have something of a learning curve... But really, it's mostly up to learning the monsters' attacks. If you know all their animations, then using the GS is much easier. You do have to mentally compensate for its slow attack speed, but you don't have to do a whole bunch of attacks just to do a decent amount of damage anyways. Whack em and run.

Alright, I've been playing Single Player just to get some stuff before I head off into the wild unknown of multiplayer, and I find myself liking the bow quite a bit. That said, while I've been using the power coatings, I'm wondering just how "absolutely essential" it is.
I've just gotten the Lagiacrus repel mission, and so far I'm wondering if I should switch from the Wroggi Revolver to the Arca Raptora or whatver. It's ice, can sleep and poison, but can't use Power Coatings. Is this an immediate turn off, or does it simply not need it?

I'm never able to keep the power coatings on for a whole hunt, so I feel like if it's halfway between the strength of the Wroggi Revolver with power and without, then it should in the long run be better (won't lose most of its power halfway through a fight, cheaper to maintain, etc) and I feel like Sleep will be a really useful thing to have, but I don't know if I should invest in a bow that can't use what I've read is a highly useful coating.

It would help a LOT if I knew the exact mechanics of Power Coating, but all I know is that it's supposed to make it more powerful. Vague to the max.

Prade

Very much this. Your fight that you had with the Ludroth just sounds like you were a little unprepared. Having the best gear and weapon available along with traps and bombs could be the difference between a 30 minute slugfest or an 10-15 minute field day. Regardless, here's a GS video of a Ludroth fight. It's nothing MLG, but it's a good demo of how to take him out in a respectable time with level appropriate gear.

Anteo

So I just fought the Qurupeco with a SwitchAxe, I can't belive most of my attacks bounced off him. That explains why my Bow run took too much time, I kept hitting wrong places. Anyways, I got him again, it was easier to break his beak and stop his attacks. And I got the Great Jaggi pretty fast too! I love this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Well I really like hammers so I put a lot of resources early on into getting a Bone Hammer+ that's doing well for me so far. I want to forge a really nice set of Dual Blades as well and alternate between them based on what I need, but the set I want requires drops from the Royal Ludroth, and I haven't done the quest that unlocks him yet apparently

Hoodbury

In regards to all the peco bouncing posts, something to keep in mind is that really really shortly after you beat him that first time, which will be a pain, you should be able to ugrade your weapon to green sharpness. This will reduce the amount of bouncing and make the fight much much easier. It's really just that first fight against him that will be troublesome.

Upgrade your weapon to green sharpness as soon as you can. Then fight him again and you'll laugh at how easy he is. (as long as you continue to sharpen your weapon with a whetstone during the fight)

The simplest way to save is to just select quit from the menu. It'll warn you to save, but gives you the option to save after you confirm you want to quit the game.

Thanks for the answers guys! I'll stick with DB for a while and see what happens. I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna have to switch to something bigger eventually :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What is Wroggi armor really good for again? Sharpness right?

What's a good, early sharp blade? I see that only Rugged Blade has green sharpness.

So I just fought the Qurupeco with a SwitchAxe, I can't belive most of my attacks bounced off him. That explains why my Bow run took too much time, I kept hitting wrong places. Anyways, I got him again, it was easier to break his beak and stop his attacks. And I got the Great Jaggi pretty fast too! I love this game.

Arc shot is your friend on bows. Rain of Doom x all monsters.

Hoodbury

What is Wroggi armor really good for again? Sharpness right?

What's a good, early sharp blade? I see that only Rugged Blade has green sharpness.

Not Sharpness, but razor sharp. Means it won't dull as fast. Not to be picky but when there is an actual skill called "sharpness" we don't want people to get confused now.

Kurod

Banned

When fighting Peeko with the switch axe try going mostly sword mode. You can unsheath straight to sword with R+X+A. Sword mode has built in ESP and will never bounce. Makes breaking his flint and beak a breeze.

Anteo

When fighting Peeko with the switch axe try going mostly sword mode. You can unsheath straight to sword with R+X+A. Sword mode has built in ESP and will never bounce. Makes breaking his flint and beak a breeze.

Oh nice advice. I only used the sword mode when he was on the ground, or limping.

Xater

Hmm doesn't look like there is a GAF room. So if any European wants to join me:

Free play 3 -> Lobby 7 -> Room: GAF

Quote for the password!

Hoodbury

Prade

Oh nice advice. I only used the sword mode when he was on the ground, or limping.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sword mode the mode that does the most DPS? When I used the swax in Tri I'm always in sword mode practically.

Hoodbury

So... with both I'd never have to use a Whetstone again? :O

:p

No. So take this table again for example: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Great_Sword_Weapon_Tree

Look at the High Siegmund sword. If you used Sharpness with it, you would from a fat green bar to a sliver of blue bar. So you would still lose that blue sharpness pretty quickly. Also the next sword in that tree is a better example, it's called Reddnaught. With Sharpness you would go from white to purple, but the purple is a tiny tiny sliver. So you'd burn through that purple pretty fast, but then you are upgraded with a fatter white bar.

And you can't have both Razor sharp and Sharpness at the same time if I recall.

I feel like this game is doing the worst things to my compulsive urges. I currently have 18 sets, missing a few though. I must have gotten insanely lucky with the Lagiacus plate, I got it the first time I fought him with some Gaffers. Now to work on the Baggi and Wroggi sets. For some reason I can't forge a Wroggi helm, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Your weapons dull at half the rate.

Half?!

...brb farming Wroggi

No. So take this table again for example: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Great_Sword_Weapon_Tree

Look at the High Siegmund sword. If you used Sharpness with it, you would from a fat green bar to a sliver of blue bar. So you would still lose that blue sharpness pretty quickly.

So sharpness only boosts you to the minimum of the next bar?

That sucks. :(

Pineconn

Does deleting your Wii U data for a 3DS->Wii U transfer mess up your online progress? For some reason the transfer app says my data doesn't match, but it damn well should. I've used a few transfers without a hitch... until now.

EDIT: Yeah, it's all good.

Mupod

Look at the High Siegmund sword. If you used Sharpness with it, you would from a fat green bar to a sliver of blue bar. So you would still lose that blue sharpness pretty quickly.

Might be possible if you get it via that one skill which combines attack up large and sharpness+1. Used to be called Stellar Hunter, don't know what it is now. It's on abyssal lagi set.

Not sure what its 'downside' skill is though.

So sharpness only boosts you to the minimum of the next bar?

At most yes. Some weapons don't even get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom