• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When I need Carpenterbugs I hit the Harvest Tour:Tundra and farm the bug node(s) in the first area. Gather, turn in, repeat if necessary.

I like the Moga Forest location for Carpenterbugs that someone gave earlier, but I found 3 IN A ROW yesterday while hunting Rhenopolis hides. I felt like a superstar.

Mondriaan

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been answered, but have they redone the intro to the game? Are you still given those tutorial missions, is the single player "story" goal to restore the village still or is it different? I really hated that hub and found it a little tedious in Tri. Is it the same or different?

They made things slightly less tedious by giving you some downloadable stuff like free resource points, a gathering armor set, and a beginner weapon of each type (12 total I think) instead of only the two beginner weapons in Tri. Otherwise, yes, the beginning is the same old grind as Tri.

Yeah like, a relatively easy Light Bowgun to get is the Rathian one, it does around 190 per hit, not much, right? Well, lets say you have attack up plus and you use lv 2 ammo, that should be around 220 per hit, if not more. The rathian bowgun rapid fires lv2 ammo, so BAM BAM BAM, 3 hits, 250x3= 750 damage. I can do that 4 times in a row before I have to reload sooo 750x4= 3000 damage before reloading.

And thats the lv2 ammo! Then you have your other options like elemntal ammo, status ammo, shotgun, exploding etc etc. Its a beast.
But that isnt taking into effect monsters defense though. Melee has the advantage of multiplyers due to sharpness. That said, air flinch crashes are amazing for us tail cutters so thank you for gunning.

Kyzon

I just did my 2nd High Rank hunt. Did it alone. Two G Jaggies weren't tough at all. Am I correct in assuming that even if you go to solo the online quests (through 3DS) the monsters are still balanced for 4 hunters? I'm considering trying the crimson peco or purple ludroth.

One other question. Where can I get Bumblepumpkin? I have new armor to make

Vibed

Only now could I get MH, so as soon as it's done downloading I'm gonna get the basics set up and join you guys in the hunt!

MH3 player here, was my first game in the series, this will be second.

My NNID is already in the google doc list from last week too.

blackflag

Filtering is so ridiculous. Chat filters out "kill"

I remember it being bad from Tri, but I'm not sure I ever tried to spell out that.

Synless

On your first few actual hunts, take some time to figure out the monster's patterns (give him some room, circle him at a safe distance). Then try to land hits without him hitting you too much: wait for him to do an attack, go in, cple of hits, then roll out of the way before he recovers.

Of course when he just stands there drooling, go to town, but in general, try to be wary of when and when not to go on the offensive. That's maybe one of the more important things to get early on.

Also, bring some potions and whetstones. And remember the five D's of monster hunting: Dodge, Duck, Dive, erh.. Roll, Dinosaur, and... yeah, I got nothing.

Actually, one last thing, practice the superman dive: sprint (with weapon sheathed, pressing R) away from the monster (you'll notice a goofy animation), then press roll. You're invincible during superman dive. If something is going to hit you for sure and you can see it coming (I'm thinking rathalos poison pounce, you'll see what I mean when you fight him), you sheathe your weapon and you time your superman dive to weasel out of it. I superman dive myself all the fucking time. Matter of fact, I probably spend more time flying through the air then actually fighting! :D

Edit: Final words, don't stay right in front of a monster. You want them to have to turn before launching their attack, gives you more time to see it coming.
Thanks for the advice! Also, what is a good weapon to use for someone who is new? I was thinking of using the long sword whenever I get a chance to start getting weapons.

chrono01

Filtering is so ridiculous. Chat filters out "kill"

I remember it being bad from Tri, but I'm not sure I ever tried to spell out that.
Having "after" filtered was insane [from what I read].

So many misunderstandings...

You - "**** this, I'm going to get a drink."
Them - "...What did we say?"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's got decent attack, and Green Sharpness, but no slots.

I'm not sure if slots matter to you or not, but I figured I'd post that just in-case.

As for me, I'm going to try to get the Buster Blade.

It's not something I'd main but it'd be fun to bring it with when helping lower HR players online.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So what role do Bows fill online? Can they apply statuses(stati?), break/cut parts, or are they just damage?

All of the above, depending on the specific bow/bowgun. If they can use the Slice ammo, then they can slice (although all Bow users have a slice melee move with A), if they can apply Poison / Paralysis / Sleep coating, they can do status, etc. They can also assist teammates by healing them with the appropriate ammo.

Ranged attackers are really great because they are usually the most potent status inducers for things like Sleep, and they can target very specific spots on a monster, that may be tough to reach for swords. The downside is their armour is much more vulnerable and they're tough to play by yourself when the monster is solely focused on you.

Kuntz

Still calibrating everything...

Got my NNID, unfortunately can't be called Kuntz (though I can see why) so I'll be called :

GROLAAAND

Adding this to the OP list and adding everyone EU for now.

I have a question. If I've been using the transfer tool between my 3ds and Wii U, and a friend transfers his 3ds game save to my Wii U while I have my save on 3ds, will that mess anything up after he sends his save back to his system?

Currently looking for a EuroGAF room.
tumblr_mhnsz0fBzx1qdezf9o1_500.gif

Don't make me feel like this lol, dammit I'm off GAF till my assignments done XD

Palmer_v1

All of the above, depending on the specific bow/bowgun. If they can use the Slice ammo, then they can slice (although all Bow users have a slice melee move with A), if they can apply Poison / Paralysis / Sleep coating, they can do status, etc. They can also assist teammates by healing them with the appropriate ammo.

Ranged attackers are really great because they are usually the most potent status inducers for things like Sleep, and they can target very specific spots on a monster, that may be tough to reach for swords. The downside is their armour is much more vulnerable and they're tough to play by yourself when the monster is solely focused on you.

Bows use bowgun ammo too? That's disappointing. I was hoping the bow was mostly unique and separate from bowguns.

Beats

"Slice" ammo? So, what you're saying is that I can shoot monsters and slice them at the same time?

So what role do Bows fill online? Can they apply statuses(stati?), break/cut parts, or are they just damage?

I use it mainly to apply status. Paralyzed monster allow your team to deal HUGE damage online but it is useless offline because it's only you who do the damage. It is also important to know when to inflict status eg waiting till monster exhausted etc. Also, bow can constantly do damage without wasting time dodging because your team with draw aggro most of the time.

Blitzhex

The Argosy captain npc seems to have disappeared from my game. It's been 6+ days ingame and he has hasn't showed up in moga village. I've never used him before and he always used to camp next to the chief's son in town. Now that I need to use him for 3-4 items he is nowhere to be found :|

Haunted

Am I the only one rocking the gunlance?

Really love that weapon, so versatile. Shooting quickly dispatches of smaller annoying enemies, good defensive options with the stab behind the shield and of course, the awesome Wyvern fire special attack for lots of damage in one shot.

Fucking love it, maybe even ahead of the Long Sword. :eek: I wonder why I never used it in Freedom Unite.

Haunted

The Argosy captain npc seems to have disappeared from my game. It's been 6+ days ingame and he has hasn't showed up in moga village. I've never used him before and he always used to camp next to the chief's son in town. Now that I need to use him for 3-4 items he is nowhere to be found :|
Sounds like you sent him on all three stops, that journey takes a long time.

Mupod

Easiest way to get ElderDragonBlood?

Since you apparently can't get it off Ceadeus anymore, I've been using village Jhen Mohran. You can unlock it in 7* quests after you fulfill a villager request. I have no idea when he becomes available online.

I remember Alatreon being the best source for them but I don't have access to him yet.

Ken

Since you apparently can't get it off Ceadeus anymore, I've been using village Jhen Mohran. You can unlock it in 7* quests after you fulfill a villager request. I have no idea when he becomes available online.

I remember Alatreon being the best source for them but I don't have access to him yet.

Single player Jhen sounds like the worst thing ever. Is it?

Am I the only one rocking the gunlance?

Really love that weapon, so versatile. Shooting quickly dispatches of smaller annoying enemies, good defensive options with the stab behind the shield and of course, the awesome Wyvern fire special attack for lots of damage in one shot.

Fucking love it, maybe even ahead of the Long Sword. :eek: I wonder why I never used it in Freedom Unite.

Gunlance here.

Doing the three jabs with the third one as the overhead slam, then blowing all your ammo in a blast and sending monsters scattering.

You will hit an unprecedented place of bliss the first time you nail a charging monster with the wyvern fire and it sends them sprawling backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom