• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with Barroth armor or upgrade to Lagiacrus? I'm not liking how I have a useless skill with the Barroth set (Hammer so guard is useless), but I also don't like the Status Atk Down that comes with Lagiacrus set (I often use a hammer that causes paralyze). I'm at 5 star offline right now.

I've never played a Monster Hunter before but I downloaded the 3DS demo to see what the fuss was all about.

Man, I've never been this hooked to a demo. I barely knew what the hell I was doing, and the camera was pretty wonky, but I was still having a blast. Went ahead and ordered a copy off of Amazon.

daxy

Stick with Barroth armor or upgrade to Lagiacrus? I'm not liking how I have a useless skill with the Barroth set (Hammer so guard is useless), but I also don't like the Status Atk Down that comes with Lagiacrus set (I often use a hammer that causes paralyze). I'm at 5 star offline right now.

You can negate the status attack down with one decoration. As long as it's under 10, it doesn't apply. Fast charge and Tenderizer seem like decent skills for the hammer.

panda21

The game's still totally playable online without mics, you're given a pretty good set of quick (and customizable) "shout-outs" if there are particular things you're trying to convey while on a quest, elsewise you still have access to the Gamepad's virtual keyboard or you could use a USB keyboard and just type things out that way.

Out of curiosity though, what do you mean that you "can't get audio out?"

Oh that's cool,I guess I will try it online then.

I use a computer monitor with hdmi for my consoles and it only takes the video input, not the audio. With ps3 and 360 itrs fine because you can get a separate analog audio out,but the Wii u won't do that :(

muu

Oh that's cool,I guess I will try it online then.

I use a computer monitor with hdmi for my consoles and it only takes the video input, not the audio. With ps3 and 360 itrs fine because you can get a separate analog audio out,but the Wii u won't do that :(

You do know you can get all the audio out of the GamePad, right? VC also defaults to the gamepad speakers.

Giolon

Also is anyone playing online without mics? I cant get audio out of my Wii u so it wouldn't work for me, but the 8-4 guys were saying people want everyone to use them because the gamepad has a mic built in.

I want to play online but thats putting me off

The voice chat output comes out of the Gamepad speaker only. I actually wear ipod headphones (the new comfortable ones) connected to the Gamepad when I play, so I can hear people better.

Just bought the Wii U version of the game and I keep getting Error 105-1038 when I try updating it. Anyone know what that's about? I couldnt find anything when I looked it up on Ninty's website. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Eusis

Took me FOREVER. In retrospect, probably not worth it, but after spending all that time getting dumbass carpenterbugs and bug wings, I'm certainly happy with the way my character looks.
It's not so bad when you're using poison gas on the quest specifically to kill them though, but I could see an issue with brute forcing it on a regular gathering map.

But Carpenterbugs, man, why do they have to be so hard to find? Killer Beetles I can accidentally stockpile on at least.

blackflag

I've never played a Monster Hunter before but I downloaded the 3DS demo to see what the fuss was all about.

Man, I've never been this hooked to a demo. I barely knew what the hell I was doing, and the camera was pretty wonky, but I was still having a blast. Went ahead and ordered a copy off of Amazon.

Awesome , if you liked the demo, there's no doubt you'll love the game. The demo is actually a horrible representation of the game. Yes the fight and mechanics are there but the armor/weapon making, all that fun stuff is totally missing.

Eusis

Awesome , if you liked the demo, there's no doubt you'll love the game. The demo is actually a horrible representation of the game. Yes the fight and mechanics are there but the armor/weapon making, all that fun stuff is totally missing.
The best kind of demo would've probably been one like EOIV's, where you play a slice of the game, get a feel for how all the parts work, and can use that data in the full game.

Quick question about elemental weapons. As I've read, elementals don't really have too much of an effect. I recently upgraded to dual blades that have a lighting element -- so is this going to be super ineffective against a lighting-type monster, like a Lagiacrus?

Ken

Quick question about elemental weapons. As I've read, elementals don't really have too much of an effect. I recently upgraded to dual blades that have a lighting element -- so is this going to be super ineffective against a lighting-type monster, like a Lagiacrus?

You'll still be doing whatever raw damage it has. Think of elemental as more of a bonus damage.

blackflag

The best kind of demo would've probably been one like EOIV's, where you play a slice of the game, get a feel for how all the parts work, and can use that data in the full game.

Yeah, they should at least let you carve your kill and see what you could make out of it once you have the full game and can farm more.

Palmer_v1

since I can't find anyones games to join (and no one joins mine), I've been just playing offline.

fun but disappointing.

anyone else a fresh HR2 and need a group? I'm usually in Beginners 10 in case any GAF people want to join.

I believe GAF's default location is Free Play 3 > Lobby 9 > Then check for rooms with GAF in the name.

Also is anyone playing online without mics? I cant get audio out of my Wii u so it wouldn't work for me, but the 8-4 guys were saying people want everyone to use them because the gamepad has a mic built in.

I want to play online but thats putting me off

You don't have to use a mic to play online. In tri, I just set up some common responses in the first few slots. Things like "Yes" "No" "Setting trap" "Monster ready to be capped" "8 inches and to the left", etc. The only issue then is that others with mics probably won't be typing messages at all, so you may miss things if you can't hear them. As long as you were quickly ready for each hunt that gets posted, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

It was also mentioned, but you should be able to output ALL game sound to the gamepad. Works pretty well overall.

The voice chat output comes out of the Gamepad speaker only. I actually wear ipod headphones (the new comfortable ones) connected to the Gamepad when I play, so I can hear people better.

I do the same as this guy. Haven't had complaints from anyone yet, and I can hear people a lot better. It seems muffled when it's straight from the gamepad.

ramyeon

Man Qurupeco was a wake up call. Not just him calling the great jaggi to help but his defence was so much tighter with the armored wings and sometimes it was really hard to find openings in his attacks. Managed to take him down after fainting twice :/

DaBoss

I found it odd that the dual monsters quests in High-Rank Village quests had no carves. It is more like an Arena quest without it taking place in the Arena.

Starting a room up to farm Lagiacrus and then do HR2 or help other people farm stuff.
US/Free Play 3/Lobby 9 room name is GAFLagiHR2 with the usual password. Quote to see.

About to fight Gobul for the first time, any suggestions/tips?

I'm currently using Jaggi Armor upgraded to lvl2 and an Iron Grace LS

So far I haven't had any trouble with the Royal Ludreth/Barroth/Quaropeco

Any better armor/LS I could make at the moment?

Alrus

I love this game so much, being portable makes it even better (too bad about the lack of online though).

I'm currently using Jaggi Armor upgraded to lvl2 and an Iron Grace LS

So far I haven't had any trouble with the Royal Ludreth/Barroth/Quaropeco

Any better armor/LS I could make at the moment?

Hmm you should be fine, Gobul isn't hard at all if you're a bit careful.

Beats

Is there anything else you can farm that sells for a lot besides God Bugs? It seems like they got rid of Storm Sender seeds.

You can carve Gobul when it's underground and has its whisker popping out for some extra items.

Fistwell

Anyone got a Euro GAF room on with spaces free? Whoo assignment done. Hmm best check my friends list lol.
Shit you guys play late. Sry, I'm gonna hit the sack.
Fun hunts tonight with Euro-GAF. Turns out brachy is a lot easier with 4 people, who would've thunk!? Also, his LS is swag as shit!

Apologies to Weird and Xater for bailing on them like a weasel, several other Euro-GAF were wanting to team up, so I went ahead and opened another room.

Ok there are sooooo many pages here. This is my first MonHun, I love Demons and Dark Souls, but like to roll around. Whats the best class for me to choose from the get go and what is some of the first things I should be thinking about doing?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just got in my copy for the 3DS... and holy fuck that font choice is terrible.

Read you can turn 3D off in options to improve it.. but it's still terrible.

How do you screw up so bad on the font.

Anyhow.. back to start killing stuff.

Unicorn

Where are light crystals found?

Also why does the island fishing boat trip sometimes appear and disappear from the list? Need some monster fluid too

DaBoss

Pink Rathians are annoying. Was doing that Slagoth quest with oil and it shows up to ruin the Slagoth Hide+ farming party. Does this also happen in future high-rank missions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom