• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeeks

Banned
So I was looking at upgrading my Wild Axe, and one of the options (Ludroth Axe) has the stat "WA 120".

What on earth does WA mean?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow, I'm rusty, haha. Qurupeco gave me a run for my money. I didn't bring anything of my own into the fight, so that was my own fault. But I remember why Lance play is so unique. Gotta just take my time.

emb

Have the monsters in this game been weakened the first time around? I'm going through things so much faster. I guess just since Tri was my first MH, but man, I've gone from the very beginning up through slaying the Lagi, and everything just seems to roll over and die (outside of Peco and the Gigginox, who were oddly resilient).

I'm trying to learn a new weapon too, which I thought would make it difficult. Wearing Jaggi armor makes me feel like I take almost no damage, lol. Well, whether it's experience or just an altered game, it's nice to run back through and have it be so relaxing.

Boy do I feel stupid. I was sitting here racking my brain thinking it was an acronym for Weapon ...something.
Note: Elemental attacks ignore a monster defense so its easier to break things faster if the monster is weak to it. Raw damage though is better for attacking weak points and for the bonuses that high level sharpness get you.

olimpia84

So I finally manage to get that Kings Frill or whatever is called from a Great Jaggi just to find out I can't get a full armor set for being a blademaster....seriously? Time to start from scrap and look for a decent armor set =/

emb

So I finally manage to get that Kings Frill or whatever is called from a Great Jaggi just to find out I can't get a full armor set for being a blademaster....seriously? Time to start from scrap and look for a decent armor set =/

What do you mean? There's a full blademaster set and a full gunner set of G. Jaggi armor.

You can get a full Jaggi set, if you don't have all the parts in the forging menu, you need to fight more Great Jaggis.

Hit the Minus button to show "blademaster" armors and "gunner" armor.

Have the monsters in this game been weakened the first time around? I'm going through things so much faster. I guess just since Tri was my first MH, but man, I've gone from the very beginning up through slaying the Lagi, and everything just seems to roll over and die (outside of Peco and the Gigginox, who were oddly resilient).

I'm trying to learn a new weapon too, which I thought would make it difficult. Wearing Jaggi armor makes me feel like I take almost no damage, lol. Well, whether it's experience or just an altered game, it's nice to run back through and have it be so relaxing.

yeah monsters are weaker and the requirements to move to the next rank of quests are much lower iirc.

Ken said:
You'll still be doing whatever raw damage it has. Think of elemental as more of a bonus damage.

Thanks, Ken. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure -- didn't want to go on a Lagi group hunt with a useless weapon.

By the way, you, sir, are always helpful & it's appreciated. That's one nice thing I've noticed about the MH community; though I've had one or two people act like assholes (pro tip: don't be a dick to people when they join a room that says "Anyone is welcome!"), lots of folks are willing to help. The other night, I stayed up until 5 a.m. with MH vets who helped me up my HR rank, get a bunch of useful materials & generally make my hunter much better than what he was when I started. To top it off, they friend requested me at the end. I'm semi-new (played about halfway through single-player in Tri, but never went online -- decided to hold out when I heard about Ultimate, & bought it on day one), but I hope to do the same for folks when I'm a vet.

Yeah I think that's the consensus. Barroth was definitely easier. Seems like their attacks are more telegraphed as well.

Just got up to Gobul. Have to take a break before I attempt another water fight.

L Thammy

Can I get some general advice for Hunting Horn? I'm not sure how to keep up my dodging while using those laggy R button attacks.

Also, is Fast Charge better than Attack Up (M) for Greatsword? I'm thinking of switching from Jaggi to Lagiacrus.

I agree with the guys above, the low rank monsters are definitely easier. Peco and Gigginox might be slight exceptions. I think both of them have new moves and are faster now.

Ken

Anyone want to farm G rank Arzuros? Made a room in G rank lobby 1 NA. It's probably the only Arzuros room lol.

Filth

jumping online to do hr 5 quests. looking to kill glacial ank 2-3 times to complete my set if anyone wants to help. usual spot no pw

Also, is Fast Charge better than Attack Up (M) for Greatsword? I'm thinking of switching from Jaggi to Lagiacrus.
No way. A huge number of your Greatsword attacks are still going to be uncharged potshots, which Fast Charge won't help at all with. My ideal Greatsword set has Sharpness +1, AUL, and Critical Draw. Anything after that is gravy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone online for some HR1 stuff? Been doing solo stuff but I'm finally OK for some online I think.

Filth

Does sleep coating do the same thing as tranquilizer bombs?

Tranq captures the monster when they are weak and in a trap. Sleep coating / status puts then to sleep so you can setup bombs or do a big attack because the first damage they take while asleep is multiplied and a big crit

Abandond

Tranq captures the monster when they are weak and in a trap. Sleep coating / status puts then to sleep so you can setup bombs or do a big attack because the first damage they take while asleep is multiplied and a big crit

Ah, thanks. I'll remember that.

Is there another item that does what tranq bomb does? Also, do I put the trap down and then pummel the monster with tranq bombs or do the bombs first and trap after?

L Thammy

No way. A huge number of your Greatsword attacks are still going to be uncharged potshots, which Fast Charge won't help at all with. My ideal Greatsword set has Sharpness +1, AUL, and Critical Draw. Anything after that is gravy.

Makes sense. Next question, will Punish Draw be worth it? I was always curious about that one.

DaBoss

Ah, thanks. I'll remember that.

Is there another item that does what tranq bomb does? Also, do I put the trap down and then pummel the monster with tranq bombs or do the bombs first and trap after?

Nope, though there is a gunner ammo that can act as tranq bombs for gunners.

You can do them in either order. Though if you throw tranq bombs first, try to get it in a trap ASAP.

emb

yeah monsters are weaker and the requirements to move to the next rank of quests are much lower iirc.
Yeah I think that's the consensus. Barroth was definitely easier. Seems like their attacks are more telegraphed as well.

Just got up to Gobul. Have to take a break before I attempt another water fight.

I agree with the guys above, the low rank monsters are definitely easier. Peco and Gigginox might be slight exceptions. I think both of them have new moves and are faster now.

Ok, good to know I'm not crazy. Yeah, Barroth was the one that really made me think something was up. I used to be terrified to face that thing, even on high rank after I had decent gear.

Makes sense. Next question, will Punish Draw be worth it? I was always curious about that one.
Yes! If you know your timing you can easily get at least a single ko per quest if you focus on the head alone. That said, in a group where monsters will be flinching and falling down more frequently the benefits diminish as you need to focus everywhere and not just one spot.

It's not bad, but my general opinion has always been "why not just use a hammer?" I look at each weapon, and it seems to me that each one excels at something particular. So, I try and make my sets to maximize what that weapon type has to offer. If you're playing alone, it's probably more valuable than if you're playing in a team, since any KO damage you're going to deal is miniscule compared to a hammer user. Still, to get the skill you need to drop one of the three I mentioned above. To me, it's not worth losing a big damage boost throughout a 20 minute fight for what will amount to one KO and maybe some stamina drain. As a GS user, you're going to be tasked with cutting tails and breaking non-head parts anyway, so the benefit is further marginalized.

That's just my two cents - I wouldn't look down on anyone if they went with Punish Draw.

Abandond

Nope, though there is a gunner ammo that can act as tranq bombs for gunners.

You can do them in either order. Though if you throw tranq bombs first, try to get it in a trap ASAP.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll go with trap first.

Annnnd one last one. Does anyone know if you can bind the shoulder buttons the circle pad pro? If not, what are the defaults? I think bow would be pretty great if you could.

kinggroin

Banned
KiMPaTZ.jpeg

Nice way to end the night! Even got the horn I needed!

Playing with GAFers makes this game that much better

ramyeon

Took so long to farm for the items required for this. I can't count how many times I did the Pest Control mission, but thankfully that paid for pretty much all the forging and upgrade costs. Lots of running around with a torch and smoke bombing...
Worth it? Totally.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How do I unset an EZ Shock Trap? Does it happen automatically after a period of time? Cause now I can't use my other Shock Trap.

Also this game has a dedicated Pause button. :bow

Took so long to farm for the items required for this. I can't count how many times I did the Pest Control mission, but thankfully that paid for pretty much all the forging and upgrade costs. Lots of running around with a torch and smoke bombing...

Worth it? Totally.
Hot.

Hoodbury

Yeah, I've been using that, but it still bounces off his sides

Hmm, maybe it's only the down swing part that doesn't bounce. I can give it a try tonight when I get home, it's been awhile since I've used a hammer with low sharpness.

I tried Peco with the basic iron+ hammer and using the super pound it never bounced. It makes the sound of bouncing but since super pound doesn't bounce, the attack still goes through.

So you should be able to beat Peco with that weapon by just spamming super pound until you get a green sharpness weapon. It took me about 10 minutes to do that without worrying about G.Jaggie.

argh this game. I have no idea wtf I'm doing. Running around Mogi Island looking for stuff. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing. Tried going online for a quest that wanted to take an hour but no one joined me so I abandoned it. I'm so confused. I want to really give this game a go, but this is not fun right now, especially when you have no idea what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom