• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madouu

Met my first Duramboros, my first thoughts when he started spinning were HOLY SHIT IS THIS FOR REAL. Needless to say I lost it when he
used his tail to literally propulse himself into the air

Such an epic fight too, down to the last potion and the last minute, Just as I was preparing to see the quest failed message for the first time, there's a final opening after one of his attacks and I start smashing his face. I had broken his horns and tail before so I would've been disappointed if I had to restart.

This feeling of satisfaction though, so awesome. This game is fucking great!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IMG_20130325_232821.jpg

CHICKEN MAN!

I feel like I belong in Gatchaman. Which is ironic, considering the Japanese marketing.

traveler

Not Wario
Duramboros is my favorite fight thus far as well.

I'm about 40 hours in, working on HR3, and I'm finally going to have to replace my Barroth set to continue. This is my first MH and I completely understand the popularity now. Such a fantastic game.

Alchemy

Qurupeco is the biggest asshole. I hate his missions, I have no idea how I will manage the capture one. I really suck at telling if monsters are hurt and he won't stop calling for reinforcements. I need a bigger sword to stab it in the face with.

yami4ct

Qurupeco is the biggest asshole. I hate his missions, I have no idea how I will manage the capture one. I really suck at telling if monsters are hurt and he won't stop calling for reinforcements. I need a bigger sword to stab it in the face with.

You can break it's face, but it's not optimal for the most amount of damage. You want to hit the belly/throat. Breaking the face is fairly difficult, but will net you more rewards if you pull it off.

As for telling if it's injured, if it's limping it's injured enough to capture and close to death. If not, keep going.

Alchemy

You can break it's face, but it's not optimal for the most amount of damage. You want to hit the belly/throat. Breaking the face is fairly difficult, but will net you more rewards if you pull it off.

As for telling if it's injured, if it's limping it's injured enough to capture and close to death. If not, keep going.

I swear I've killed it when it wasn't limping, but I might be crazy.

Madouu

Hmm I just wait for monsters to start limping away to another zone before setting up a trap. So far it has worked well most of the time. Peco was annoying early as it used to take a lot of time for me to down him. From what I understand, you need to focus on his front area as his wings and tail are pretty resistant. Try interrupting him when he calls for help, and if you can't use dung bombs to repel the big monsters he calls up.

Duramboros is my favorite fight thus far as well.

I'm about 40 hours in, working on HR3, and I'm finally going to have to replace my Barroth set to continue. This is my first MH and I completely understand the popularity now. Such a fantastic game.

Yup my feelings exactly.

RobbieNick

I've never had a problem defeating him, (I'm still only 3 star missions and HR1 too) but I use a sharp hammer that really deals damage to his face. Giant blade should be good too.

He has a charge forward attack that's impossible to tell, but if he taps his front wings together, DODGE!

His front beak and chirp sack are his biggest weaknesses try to focus on them, but learn his tells because most of his attacks come from the front.

TIP: Try to focus the fight on him until he runs away. Then focus on his buddy so they won't return. I once killed two Great Jaggis before running into Qurupeco. When he chirped for help, none came cuz they were already dead. XD

Currently fighting the Royal Ludroth, but didn't bring enough potions. he's surprisingly easier in the water than on land.

Alchemy

I've never had a problem defeating him, (I'm still only 3 star missions and HR1 too) but I use a sharp hammer that really deals damage to his face. Giant blade should be good too.

He has a charge forward attack that's impossible to tell, but if he taps his front wings together, DODGE!

His front beak and chirp sack are his biggest weaknesses try to focus on them, but learn his tells because most of his attacks come from the front.

TIP: Try to focus the fight on him until he runs away. Then focus on his buddy so they won't return. I once killed two Great Jaggis before running into Qurupeco. When he chirped for help, none came cuz they were already dead. XD

I have his basic patterns down, just the damn friends he summons are the worst. I always seem to get stuck in the middle of a group, unable to move around.

Mzo

Gots me a Barroth ribsword. Beat the flavor into my enemies! Though that -30 Affinity could be problematic if it goes all X-Com on me.

But then, it IS a ribsword...
Affinity doesn't matter nearly as much if you're using Critical Draw.

All right, just made it to the five-star solo quests and took down Lagiacrus. It gets pretty beastly when it's pissed.

I think I'm ready I hop online tomorrow, finally. Could anyone give me the gist of how online play works in terms of quest selection? Is the person who invited/created the room the host?

Are there online-only quests? Are the non-large monster quests available for multi?

Does the Wii U have online chat through the game pad microphone? I don't have any USB headsets.

I added my NNID to the OP today, but if anyone is looking for more MH players to add to their friends list, my ID is NonDairyHen.

Lastly and not exactly online-related, but what's the difficulty scale like over the entire game? Fights are pretty tough but I've still managed to beat everything except Qurupeco on my first try. Kinda looking forward to getting my ass kicked a bit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have his basic patterns down, just the damn friends he summons are the worst. I always seem to get stuck in the middle of a group, unable to move around.

The biggest proglem I have with his first mission is that he summons Great Jaggi and then the Great Jaggi summons his own army of Jaggis, and it makes it almost impossible to use a whetstone or drink a potion safely.

God this game is so good. One of the most addictive damn games I have played in a long time. Finished my Jaggi set (upgraded to level 3) and got the Jaggi Shotels+1 on a long train ride today. I do need to try another weapon. I've dabbled with other stuff but I feel like I've really got the timing down with the dual blades. Might try using a hammer on the next couple quests.

I just noticed on some 3-star quests there's an icon next to the monster icon that says "danger!" - what does that mean?

Madouu

The biggest proglem I have with his first mission is that he summons Great Jaggi and then the Great Jaggi summons his own army of Jaggis, and it makes it almost impossible to use a whetstone or drink a potion safely.

If you find it really too hard to use a whetstone or a potion, you can go to another zone to do this stuff and then come back to where Peco/G.Jaggi are to resume your hunting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gah, two Wroggi Scales and a Killer Beetle away from having a compete set... Will have to finish the set tomorrow. :(

Oh well, one more night I can stay as CHICKEN MAN!

Alchemy

Personally, I find Qurupeco's "leap forward, smash wings together" attack really easy to dodge, since I learned how to do so in Unite. All you have to do is walk around him, while turning the camera towards him. This video here has an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzAgiAUT8s#t=117s

I stay a little bit closer, so I can take advantage right after he does it.

Huh, I always just rolled under his feet as he jumps forward and walked away.

Eusis

Did Bioshock and/or the maintenance deflate the immediate interest in playing, or did everyone go elsewhere? I'm going to give Bioshock a spin but I'd actually like some more Monster Hunter.

SupaNaab

So I think I found the quickest way to check your Charm Table if the japanese site is down. You goto multiplayer mode and take the quest for the Ice area. Then you need to go mine, Im finding only blue rocks have charms in them. Anyways I've confirmed Im not on a cursed table with Athena's Charm tool. I think I may have accidently sold a charm I received and that plain sucks -.-

You gotta mine multiple times cause these are low level charms and they're pretty common on most tables.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized I can grind more Wroggis on the way to work tomorrow. :O

This might be GOTY. The two versions combined are just too good.

This game is probably the luckiest I have ever been in the series. Been getting Los Plates, Rubies, Lagia Spheres, Deviljho Gems, etc so easily. And I'm not even farming them.

Just got to HR3. Went from tanking any hit to dying in 2 with my Barroth armor, and I don't want to waste my adv armor pieces.

Whats a good GS armor I can access that wouldnt be a complete waste of time to grind? I'll also take lance recommendations!

ramyeon

Not enough!

(Cha-Cha accidentally killed it earlier tonight when I was trying to cap it. >_<)
That was by far the hardest kill yet. He just kept going and running around like a chicken with its head cut off! Finally took him down after fainting twice :/

Just got to HR3. Went from tanking any hit to dying in 2 with my Barroth armor, and I don't want to waste my adv armor pieces.

Whats a good GS armor I can access that wouldnt be a complete waste of time to grind? I'll also take lance recommendations!

Do the dual Wroggi quest that's in HR3. Farm them until you can make Wroggi S. You have 6 slots + a talisman slot to mess around with, so if you don't need Speed Sharpening then put in another skill to your liking:

Wroggi3.png

ramyeon

So I'm at the point where I just killed the royal Ludroth, and can still only forge 2 switch axes (bone and wild) do I need to do something to open up more options or just not yet? Considering how long my fight with R.ludroth was I feel a bit underpowered.

So I'm at the point where I just killed the royal Ludroth, and can still only forge 2 switch axes (bone and wild) do I need to do something to open up more options or just not yet? Considering how long my fight with R.ludroth was I feel a bit underpowered.

upgrade the ones you have. Wild Axe goes into a R. Ludroth with water damage, Bone Axe->Bone Axe+>Peccospander is a good way to get a decent amount of green sharpness.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do the dual Wroggi quest that's in HR3. Farm them until you can make Wroggi S. You have 6 slots + a talisman slot to mess around with, so if you don't need Speed Sharpening then put in another skill to your liking:

Wroggi3.png

How do you get S armor? Upgrade?

Resilient

Just realized I can grind more Wroggis on the way to work tomorrow. :O

This might be GOTY. The two versions combined are just too good.

This. Playing on the daily commute makes me hard, knowing I can come home and transfer to Wii U. I'm in MH heaven.

I am lost on how to set my control and screen (map + life bar + items) back to default

I choose Wii U setting at the start but I want to play how I had it in the demo

guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom