• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornica

Banned
Where can I look up which armours/weapons are unattainable with which charm tables?

I heard most people saying you shouldn't worry about them if you're not a hardcore end-game type of player, and I'm not, but I'd want to at least know what I would be potentially missing out on by not checking my table.

Someone mentioned rustshards and I do remember getting some of those in Tri.

try these (all of them):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49780605&postcount=4231 some tools and stuff

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49791393&postcount=4273 timing

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49792410&postcount=4280 quest order

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49868667&postcount=4458 table overview

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49869723&postcount=4463 which table/wepaon?

Where can I look up which armours/weapons are unattainable with which charm tables?

I heard most people saying you shouldn't worry about them if you're not a hardcore end-game type of player, and I'm not, but I'd want to at least know what I would be potentially missing out on by not checking my table.

Someone mentioned rustshards and I do remember getting some of those in Tri.

Rustshards and the items they provide would be the only actual equipment that you'd miss out on, and that's only two tables and not even 100% confirmed right now. The other things you miss out on, the whole point of the charm tables, are what other RPGs commonly term accessories.

However I believe that it's not worth risking it. Over the next few days, more and more people will be playing it early, and we'll get more confirmation on whether the timing method works, and all you should have to do is set your system clock to Jan 21 2012 00:00:13, start a stopwatch, and click "new game" when your stopwatch reads 1:44.

I'm curious as to how people are "confirming" they are on specific tables. I understand how the process works but it would be nice if you could confirm it in some way. I would hate to start my game thinking I did it right, only to find out after a hundred some hours that I messed up and now have to start over in order to get certain charms.

If it really flat out denies certain players specific kinds of charms then it's a stupid system since you can't trade. The most a system like that should do is make one type rarer, yet still obtainable.

I'm also a little confused as to what table I should aim for since I will be mainly using Bow.

You send fishing boats out and plug their catch into this table. You can do it multiple times to narrow down the results (you put each try in a different row). Even though the results page is in Japanese you should be able to see what I mean. Plug some stuff in now, see how it works.

For example,

Shining Starfish x1, Popfish x5, Shining Starfish x2, Pin Tuna x2

results in

eiy1BKo.png

which means I could be on tables 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, or 14. Actual tests will narrow it down better, it usually takes no more than two tries.

Fewr

The other thing about Tsujimoto is that he has very clear idea what MH is and what he wants it to be. At least that's what I get out of his interviews. That's a good quality considering his role.

I am actually starting to think that maybe I should start with the great sword. I know it's difficult but I really want to learn because these weapons just look so awesome.
'll check out a few more once I have played the game, and can understand a bit better what he says. Overall, he earned my respect.

Nobody likes the switch axe? I find that weapon fun ass hell. On psp I always played Long Sword, Dual Sword, and bow. I'm a try the switch axe for a bit to see how it fares against harder bosses, but I'm a probably do Long sword and bow again , those weapons look too good, and drop dual sword for switch axe or great sword. I never found Dual sword useful unless group of people were zerging a huge boss, zerging dual swords was epic, killing bosses in less than a minute.
I tried it in the demo yesterday, I found it much easier to use than the manual implied with allmthe instructions, and I felt SUPER powerful, and very agile. It's similar to the hammer, but a bit harder to use.

Haunted

Rustshards and the items they provide would be the only actual equipment that you'd miss out on, and that's only two tables and not even 100% confirmed right now. The other things you miss out on, the whole point of the charm tables, are what other RPGs commonly term accessories.

However I believe that it's not worth risking it. Over the next few days, more and more people will be playing it early, and we'll get more confirmation on whether the timing method works, and all you should have to do is set your system clock to Jan 21 2012 00:00:13, start a stopwatch, and click "new game" when your stopwatch reads 1:44.
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I don't really care about charms that much, but missing out on rustshards completely would be weird (and I don't understand why Capcom would even put something in there that actively prevents you from getting a specific item).

Yeah. Revoltech made a bunch of Monster Hunter figures. Both Hunters and Monsters.

Sweet, I'll check it out.

On another note, the charms table stuff is getting on my nerves. It's going to be so hard for me to ignore it when I get far in the game. I mean, I wouldn't care as much if they didnt seem so geared to specific weapons.

But it's just charms. And nothing else.

Orayn

Are we getting Spotpass quest in West ? ( I'm hoping for those JoJo's Quest with Crazy Diamond Hammer.)

We are getting free SpotPass content, though I'm guessing most of those weapons will be reskins like Tenebra was to Tessaiga. Licensing issues...

Disguises

Sweet, I'll check it out.

On another note, the charms table stuff is getting on my nerves. It's going to be so hard for me to ignore it when I get far in the game. I mean, I wouldn't care as much if they didnt seem so geared to specific weapons.

But it's just charms. And nothing else.
Yeah...I sorta wish I didn't find out about it - I probably would have never noticed! :p.

Those are pretty badass. Do y'all have a link for the manufacturer/seller?

Revoltech is the manufacturer.
You can find these figures on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7331gm00r4_e

This is a review from amazon I found kinda funny:
Francisco said:
Monster hunter fans will love this one. I was not expecting as much articulation as it had. Spent a good hour trying to pose it in the correct way. Only thing is that the large sword's handle seems to be very delicate. This is definitely a collectible for a neck bearded gamer since it must be handled with care when posing it.

Ridley327

Anyone know a site with a good price for the hunter in the red Rathalos set? Been meaning to get my hands on it for a while now.

Effect

Added my name to the list. My NNID is NeoStar9.

I have a few people from gaf already on my friend list combined with others from Nintendo World Report. I don't plan on going online though with Monster Hunter for a while to be honest. I want to get back into the swing of things. However feel free to add me if you wish. I plan on playing this for the life of the system or until/if Monster Hunter 4 gets a Wii U version. Depending on what comes first of course.

also

Banned
Can any of the veteran hunters answer how hard is the Plesioth fight in the demo compared to other fights from the full game?
The demo gives you plenty of potions and other useful stuff (traps, pills, explosives). Would you normally carry all that stuff and use it for Plesioth or is it just put there to make the fight easier?

Can any of the veteran hunters answer how hard is the Plesioth fight in the demo compared to other fights from the full game?
The demo gives you plenty of potions and other useful stuff (traps, pills, explosives). Would you normally carry all that stuff and use it for Plesioth or is it just put there to make the fight easier?
I did the Plesioth fight in the demo on my first try without using any items beyond healing. This is the expected norm once you get used to the game.

Fistwell

It depends on several factors, e.g. quality of your equipment (armor and weapon) vs strength of the monster in question. If under geared, you'd probably bring a lot of crap and not feel bad about going through a cple of traps.
The plesioth in the demo is not very hard. The items they give seem to be an overkill. I'd feel bad going through all that shit just for this hunt.

I just got around to approving the 3 friend reqs I got...hope I get to hunt with you guys sometime.

Preordering online sucks though, I have no idea when I'm gonna get the game =\

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Full health meter? How does that work, I figured the health meter was a result of whatever armor you're wearing.

Health was 150 in the demo. Default Health, unboosted / hindered, is 100.

You can increase your maximum health via armour skills (you can also hinder your health), or you can consume Max Potion / Nutrients every battle / life, or gain a health boost by eating a meal before setting out.

Hoodbury

For that fight in the real game I'd probably pack a frog, 10 mega potions, 10 potions, trap, tranqs, 10 well done steaks, paint balls, whetstones.

That is my normal pack with the frog being the special item for this monster. The trap is for capturing, not for using to just get in free hits.

I normally don't use all that extra stuff like barrel bombs and stuff. The real fight will be 50 minutes so you won't also be fighting the clock.

Mupod

You COULD bring that stuff, but normally you wouldn't use anywhere near that much.

There are exceptions. In MHFU for example Plesioth is a requirement to get past the lowest level of g-rank quests, at which point you probably have total crap for gear. He was entirely capable of essentially one shotting you with slide + big hitbox move while standing on you as you get back up. So just to get past him it would be reasonable to bring bombs, traps, pills, all the potions you can carry etc. I personally had to learn how to Heavy Bowgun. But once I got past him I gained access to better weapons, Narga armor, etc. So going back to him was no problem and I think I have a screenshot of me killing it in 7 mins or so (I was timing out before, yes timing out with 50 minutes).

But yeah it's unreasonable to bring bombs and traps to every monster. But sometimes it's well worth it - Barioth for example, I can farm literally 3 times faster if I trap him once at the start. This allows me to use my hammer to break a wing and exhaust him which turns him into a joke.

edit: For clarification, I do bring bombs and traps to every monster online. But most of the time I don't use them. HOWEVER it's awesome being the superhero for your team when it seems like you're about to fail the quest and you bust out the emergency inventory you farmed your ass off for.

Mondriaan

But yeah it's unreasonable to bring bombs and traps to every monster. But sometimes it's well worth it - Barioth for example, I can farm literally 3 times faster if I trap him once at the start. This allows me to use my hammer to break a wing and exhaust him which turns him into a joke.
I think it's reasonable to always bring a trap and 3 tranq bombs because you can always decide not to capture a boss. I don't bring plus versions of bombs because the combo ingredients are a pain to gather, but regular bombs can be easily purchased at the shop.

[edit]Admittedly I don't waste 2 inventory slots on traps and tranq bombs on non-capturable bosses.

Hoodbury

I think it's reasonable to always bring a trap and 3 tranq bombs because you can always decide not to capture a boss. I don't bring plus versions of bombs because the combo ingredients are a pain to gather, but regular bombs can be easily purchased at the shop.

The time you spend setting up those regular bombs and getting the monster to be next to them, then setting off those bombs... you could be spending all that time hitting the monster with your weapon for so much more damage.

Mupod

I do usually capture so I don't really count that shock trap. What I mean is, like, farming spiderwebs to spam pitfalls online is a waste of time to me. But it's saved my groups before.

One thing I do is bring sonics to diablos. I don't fuck around with diablos.

The time you spend setting up those regular bombs and getting the monster to be next to them, then setting off those bombs... you could be spending all that time hitting the monster with your weapon for so much more damage.

I think people don't realize how shitty bombs are going to be against g-rank health values. I'm just not in the habit of using them for that reason.

Hoodbury

You also need to keep in mind your pack size. If you watched the stream yesterday the guy who finally killed the Jaggie, he carved it late, but his pack was full so he didn't get to keep any of his carves.

When you fill your pack with all that extra stuff, you have to fumble around too much and might miss out on carves. Once you kill the main monster, you have a time limit to carve him before it goes to the mission success screen. If you load up your pack with all those extra 'fun' items, you'll have to do some item management in a time crunch. Unless you cap I guess.

I leave the bombs for special occasions. I mostly just like to use my weapon and kill the monster like that.

kidko

I think people don't realize how shitty bombs are going to be against g-rank health values. I'm just not in the habit of using them for that reason.

I'm super glad to hear you guys say that, because I really couldn't care less about using bombs... just wanna hit em on the head with my sword-bat!

The Boat

Man, Barroth used to give me a relly hard time in Tri, but with a hunting horn I got rid of him easily. Well, the fact that I'm not new to MH now helps too.

also

Banned
Thanks to everyone for putting things into perspective. I'm definitely getting the game now, it's just a matter of when.

Tik-Tok

Searched around at a bunch of stores yesterday in Kitchener Ontario and no one would sell me this game. Called Toys R Us since a bunch of people said they were selling it early and they said even if they had it they couldn't sell it to me.
I think I'm gonna go in there today on my lunch and just find the stupidest looking person I can and ask for the game.

Hoodbury

Man, Barroth used to give me a relly hard time in Tri, but with a hunting horn I got rid of him easily. Well, the fact that I'm not new to MH now helps too.

You got the game early? Lucky duck. Do they even have the online turned on yet? I think I read Barroth got nerfed a bit, his turn and something else was slowed down so he is way easier to read and you have more time to get out of the way. Did you notice that?

Kazerei

Banned
Searched around at a bunch of stores yesterday in Kitchener Ontario and no one would sell me this game. Called Toys R Us since a bunch of people said they were selling it early and they said even if they had it they couldn't sell it to me.
I think I'm gonna go in there today on my lunch and just find the stupidest looking person I can and ask for the game.

Thanks for reporting in. Saves me the hassle of trying :)

Conversely, bomb spam is overpowered in low rank. Especially if you can get the Bombardier skill early as you could in Tri (Blast Earring). And if you get Felyne Pyro, you don't even have to worry about wasting valuable resources on upgrading your bombs.

It is even more painful that I check the store stock on futureshop/best buy.ca and every store in my city has a copy of both versions. I want to play this weekend ffs. =(

Hoodbury

So, sleep bombing G-rank monsters isn't viable any more? :p

I'd guess organized groups will still be able to do it for farming sessions pretty efficiently. I was just trying to point out that for the average hunt, you probably don't need to have all that crap in your pack taking up space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom