• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Habemus Monster Hunter.

Can't wait to get home (and not play it because it'll be friday night).

Doorman

And so my great lance debate contimues. I plan on rolling peimarily with three weapon types, to give myself some diversity to toy with. I'm definitely going hunting horn as my #1, and likely switch axe for #3. The two spot, though, has been locked in an endless debate between the lance (my initial main weapon in Tri) and the gunlance.

While I'd enjoy the sense of "returning to my roots" after venturing off into experimentation during the second half of my Tri experience and I like the relative simplicity of it, I've never been much for using the lance's counter so it feels like I'm missing out on a large part of its effectiveness. On the other hand, I've been practicing with the gunlance probably more than any other weapon in the demo, and while I didn't feel very comfortable with it initially, I feel like I've gotten the hang of it more and it becoming pretty fun to use. I don't know if that's just the allure of the new or not, though. I keep swapping between the two in the demo, but I'm torn with other factors, too. Argh.

I actually forgot who suggested it lol, but yeah it's great in several ways.
o/

Fewr

Searched around at a bunch of stores yesterday in Kitchener Ontario and no one would sell me this game. Called Toys R Us since a bunch of people said they were selling it early and they said even if they had it they couldn't sell it to me.
I think I'm gonna go in there today on my lunch and just find the stupidest looking person I can and ask for the game.
Be careful with that strategy, I tried it yesterday, and I don´t think the guy I picked even knew what a 3DS is lol.

I'll be maining the bow and investing in the long sword and great sword as my beginning blades. Later on when I've got the resources to spend I'll forge my beloved switch axe (my main weapon from Tri) and for fun, the duel swords as well.

Doombear

I think there is still a strange amount of confusion around the Charm Tables. I also think that there is a lot of stress for little reason, or perhaps due to lack of understanding.

I think that Charm Tables are obviously going to be of varying importance depending on just how much you care about a few things. Ultimately though, it comes down to this:

Are you ok with your character having a 2 in 17 chance to be unable to obtain Rustshards, a G Rank material used for specific weapons and armors late game?
  • If yes
    Then carry on, don't worry about Charm Tables, enjoy your time with the game.​
  • If no
    Then spend 30-45 minutes from the start of the game to get where you need to get to be able to analyze some data in game and out and find out what Table you are on. If you are on table 12 or 16 then you will delete your character, restart, spend 30-45 minutes to check tables again. If you aren't, then carry on and enjoy your time on a 'good' table!​

Are you ok with your character having a 5 in 17 chance to be on a table that has a fraction of charms (500 or so) than the other 12 tables (20,000 or so) Note: It could take you hundreds of hours on a 'normal' 20k charm table character to see one 'godly charm'.

• If yes
  • If no, but not overly concerned which table you land on as long as they are not one of those 5 'cursed tables'
    Then spend 30-45 minutes from the start of the game to get where you need to get to be able to analyze some data in game using tools online and find out what Table you are on. If you are on table 11, 12, 15, 16, or 17 then you will delete your character, restart, spend 30-45 minutes to check tables again until you are not. If you are not on one of those tables above, then carry on and enjoy your time on a 'good' table!​
  • If no, and want to absolutely be on the best table for your preferred weapon choice...
    Then congratulations, you must wait for more concrete info to come out regarding system clock times at New Game/Character Creation for NA/EU games to pinpoint which charm table you land on. You have to do some research on the differences between the 'good' charm tables. You have to be willing to spend time getting on the table, as well as planning on investing a hefty portion of time in late game farming for the more powerful and rare (sometimes 1 in 20,000) charms in your table.​

Two things I think that anyone worried about this charm table nonsense should realize, especially first time Hunters, is that farming Charms can be a time sink like no other. Secondly, it will likely take just 30-45 minutes to ensure that you aren't on a bad one.

Hoodbury

I'll pick a manly voice, no problem, lol.

I had a male character on MH3, so this time I want to check some female armors.

I created a second character in tri and it was a female. Kinda funny but for some reason she stayed armorless for quite awhile. It was probably because I was better at the game by then and didn't need to wear armor anyway right? Or maybe there really is a reason why my wife calls me Merv the perv a lot...

Hoodbury

I did this initially in Tri. Made the mistake of naming her instead of using a name to represent me. Eventually switched to a male character after lots of misplaced romance.

Heh, yep, if you go into random servers/rooms expect a lot of "are you a real girl?"

Man, can't wait to use a Gunlance and Hammer again. Also all long swords should be smelted down to a brick, attached to a stick and be converted to hammers.

Nicko

I think there is still a strange amount of confusion around the Charm Tables. I also think that there is a lot of stress for little reason, or perhaps due to lack of understanding.

I think that Charm Tables are obviously going to be of varying importance depending on just how much you care about a few things. Ultimately though, it comes down to this:

Are you ok with your character having a 2 in 17 chance to be unable to obtain Rustshards, a G Rank material used for specific weapons and armors late game?
  • If yes
  • If no
    Then spend 30-45 minutes from the start of the game to get where you need to get to be able to analyze some data in game and out and find out what Table you are on. If you are on table 12 or 16 then you will delete your character, restart, spend 30-45 minutes to check tables again. If you aren't, then carry on and enjoy your time on a 'good' table!​

Are you ok with your character having a 5 in 17 chance to be on a table that has a fraction of charms (500 or so) than the other 12 tables (20,000 or so) Note: It could take you hundreds of hours on a 'normal' 20k charm table character to see one 'godly charm'.

• If yes
  • If no, but not overly concerned which table you land on as long as they are not one of those 5 'cursed tables'
    Then spend 30-45 minutes from the start of the game to get where you need to get to be able to analyze some data in game using tools online and find out what Table you are on. If you are on table 11, 12, 15, 16, or 17 then you will delete your character, restart, spend 30-45 minutes to check tables again until you are not. If you are not on one of those tables above, then carry on and enjoy your time on a 'good' table!​
  • If no, and want to absolutely be on the best table for your preferred weapon choice...
    Then congratulations, you must wait for more concrete info to come out regarding system clock times at New Game/Character Creation for NA/EU games to pinpoint which charm table you land on. You have to do some research on the differences between the 'good' charm tables. You have to be willing to spend time getting on the table, as well as planning on investing a hefty portion of time in late game farming for the more powerful and rare (sometimes 1 in 20,000) charms in your table.​

Two things I think that anyone worried about this charm table nonsense should realize, especially first time Hunters, is that farming Charms can be a time sink like no other. Secondly, it will likely take just 30-45 minutes to ensure that you aren't on a bad one.

Thank you very much for spelling out the significance of charms plainly and simply... After seeing some discussion about them, I was interested to, at some point, learn more about them... I know for sure that I would not have done so until well after starting my character.. Definitely plan on learning more about them, and how to identify the tables this weekend.. Ready to put in the time early to make sure I will be better set later on...

Your kind of missing out if you play this game solo.

Missing out on the headache of playing with other people? Absolutely.

I used to play online games all the time and multiplayer starting with Diablo and UO. I played just about every MMO there was and online features of other games.

One day I realized that 9 times out of 10, the people I ended up playing the game with were the ones that made the game unfun. I don't want to have to rely on anyone else and I don't want any chance of anyone else ruining my fun.

Is the game entirely soloable and if so is it fun that way?

I used to play online games all the time and multiplayer starting with Diablo and UO. I played just about every MMO there was and online features of other games.

One day I realized that 9 times out of 10, the people I ended up playing the game with were the ones that made the game unfun. I don't want to have to rely on anyone else and I don't want any chance of anyone else ruining my fun.

It is totally soloable and if you enjoy making and earning everything you wear and use, it is a ton of fun.

That said, give multi a chance in this series. There is very little communication if you know what you are doing and everyones role is largely independent of yours unless the group plans to use a very specific strategy.

What did you experienced that turned out off?

Hoodbury

The perfect thing about this game is that yes it is pretty much all soloable but if you do happen to have a friend or 3 that you would be happy playing with you can just play with them. Only 4 people per room, so you're not going to get flooded with random jerks. Just make a room and play with people you know/trust.

So if none of your friends are online, you can play solo. If you have a friend on that plays similar to your play style, you can then play online with just them.

you don't have to worry about the 9/10 people online suck.

Codeblue

The entire game is soloable and fun that way.

Hopping in with a friend takes it to a different level though.

Also I feel like the MH community is a totally different beast. Could just be rosé tinted glasses but I made a ton of friends on Tri and most people were super helpful.

It is totally soloable and if you enjoy making and earning everything you wear and use, it is a ton of fun.

That said, give multi a chance in this series. There is very little communication if you know what you are doing and everyones role is largely independent of yours unless the group plans to use a very specific strategy.

What did you experienced that turned out off?

I just don't play multiplayer anymore because in every implementation save for Journey it is designed in such a way that either:

1. You need other player participation to see content. (Think MMOs and forced multiplayer games as well as multiplayer modes of CoD etc.)
2. The actions of another player can ruin your fun. (Be it griefing, not performing well by accident or on purpose thus limiting the group, or by rushing through content forcing me to play at their pace.)

Journey is the only "multiplayer" title I ever played that seemed to eliminate those problems.

OrigiNull

I just don't play multiplayer anymore because in every implementation save for Journey it is designed in such a way that either:

1. You need other player participation to see content. (Think MMOs and forced multiplayer games as well as multiplayer modes of CoD etc.)
2. The actions of another player can ruin your fun. (Be it griefing, not performing well by accident or on purpose thus limiting the group, or by rushing through content forcing me to play at their pace.)

Journey is the only "multiplayer" title I ever played that seemed to eliminate those problems.

I'm pretty sure you can totally be griefed while playing Journey.

I see. Luckily that isnt the case here.

Every quest in the multiplayer lobby is playable alone offline. Be aware, they have more health as they are tuned for multiplayer.

Because you know the type of quest or monster selected before you choose to join it (also told to you by the name of the room most times) you are never forced to experience something outside your realm. In fact it makes learning new monsters easier seeing how other players tackle them.

Quests are singularly focused affairs on tacking down or capturing a monster. Sometimes people fuck up and can trip you momentarily with certain types of weapons, but that is only a real issue if you have 4 guys crowded around a single small monster. The worst aspect of multi is a team mate taking up all 3 of the deaths allowed before a quest is canceled. If that happens, find a new group. You can check to see what a player has accomplished and is equipped with. If i walk into a room and see that the quest is way above the level of the players i am seeing in both terms of Hunter Rank and equipment, i leave.

Again, playing with an experienced group detracts nothing. Your drops are completely independent of theirs. There is no xp you are competing for.

The real benefit is the time saving aspect. Going through 4 monsters in the time it would take you to kill 2 alone, is a big help when trying to copmplete sets of armor or looking for a specific part.

Mondriaan

1. There is no real limit on quest selection other than Hunter Rank restrictions, but you can gain Hunter Rank by yourself.

2. The opportunities for griefing are actually very limited since the worst you can do is cause a quest to be failed at the 50th minute. If the room you're in isn't working out, it's not much of a big deal to leave and find a new room.

There isn't much content to be rushed through other than the boring, tutorial-level, gathering quests since it's structured more like a time attack (to try to beat your best time killing such and such) than an adventure game, so most people will be busy either gathering materials (e.g. killing monsters) to make better equipment or trying to rank up to open up quests to gather materials for better equipment.

Man, this charms stuff just kind of spun me around. As a first timer, i might just say 'eff it' and just start the game and dive in.

Looking into places to buy the game. Capcom is offering a free Classic Controller with the pre-order of Monster Hunter, but with shipping and taxes it will end up being a bit more expensive that getting it through Amazon. Any thoughts on whether or not the classic controller would be a good way to play, or whether I should just stick with the game pad?

Doombear

I only play games solo. Is this a good solo title?

My first title was Monster Hunter Freedom for PSP. I played it entirely offline, as I didn't have any other players locally that were interested, and I wasn't interested in Xlink Kai (actually I don't remember if Kai was around for the first PSP title? I assume so... it is all a blur anymore). Anyway, the satisfaction for reaching the higher ranks solo was something that I still have fond memories of. Silly? Maybe. But the difficulty is such that the satisfaction is pretty hard earned and awesome when you accomplish some of the higher ranked missions.

So if that is something that you think interests you, and questing alone for hundreds of hours, monster after monster for parts and upgrades sounds fun? Hell yes this game is fun solo.

Are you someone that wants to get to 'the end' as fast as possible, with minimal effort? Not as fun solo.

The Boat

You got the game early? Lucky duck. Do they even have the online turned on yet? I think I read Barroth got nerfed a bit, his turn and something else was slowed down so he is way easier to read and you have more time to get out of the way. Did you notice that?
3DS version sorry. DLC has been up for a while though.
Edit: well I did find it easier, but I'm not pro enough to notice those minute differences.

Fewr

Man, this charms stuff just kind of spun me around. As a first timer, i might just say 'eff it' and just start the game and dive in.
Same here. In general I have become a very casual player, so I don´t think I'll care about tables and min/maxing stats as long as I don´t get one of the super-cursed two. That´d be 2/17=11.76pct the probability that I end up there. If I do I can just restart and give it another go. I´m a total neophyte to this, so restarting would help me be more efficient at the game.

MH4 is coming anyway.

Just preordered on 3DS. The demo made me very curious... I think I will give a try and see...

The lack of online multiplayer doesn't bother me.

kidko

Looking into places to buy the game. Capcom is offering a free Classic Controller with the pre-order of Monster Hunter, but with shipping and taxes it will end up being a bit more expensive that getting it through Amazon. Any thoughts on whether or not the classic controller would be a good way to play, or whether I should just stick with the game pad?

The classic controller is pretty rad. if you don't have one, you might want to go that route, at least to have an alternative to the big ol' Wii U pad. Note that you'll need a Wii Remote to connect it to.

EDIT: or save your money and get these:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom