• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morokh

Was looking at my stash and at the Blacksmith yesterday after the awesome hunt with 3 other GAFers that litterally power-leveled me to HR3, and I realized I still don't understand anything about armor stats/upgrade, in this game xD

(Well someone explained skills a few pages back so that's covered, but still ...)

Any complete guides out there (even from an older game ?)

Infinite

Was looking at my stash and at the Blacksmith yesterday after the awesome hunt with 3 other GAFers that litterally power-leveled me to HR3, and I realized I still don't understand anything about armor stats/upgrade, in this game xD

(Well someone explained skills a few pages back so that's covered, but still ...)

Any complete guides out there (even from an older game ?)

This guide is for an older game but it does give you an understanding of things:http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/928336-monster-hunter-freedom/faqs/43831

actually this isn't what i thought it was.

Well that doesn't have any points in status up. Neither does X.

Ooh handicraft +5, evasion +4 charm.

Damn would've been really good with Status Atk Up. Oh well. Thanks

Ken

If I stick my SD card in my computer and copy the files somewhere, would that function as a useable backup of sorts in case something happened to the card?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If I stick my SD card in my computer and copy the files somewhere, would that function as a useable backup of sorts in case something happened to the card?

For 3DS? Yea, you can just drag and copy the 3DS folder off the card onto your PC and everything will be fine if you re-transfer it later. This is also how you go about transferring your files to another SD card if you choose to upgrade storage size.

I upgraded bone axe to + but there's no peccospander after that.

hmm lemme check i'm a bit vague on the order..

ahh it comes after the Arzuros Axe. So bone->bone+>arzuros->pecco. Sorry 'bout that. I do feel your pain, it seems like the switch-axes are just dribbled out at glacial pace compared to other weapons. for more variety you basically have to keep making the two starters and upgrading them different ways.

Filth

Took all day but finally got my set done with max armor spheres for hr5/6 455 defense. I can take a beating now with guard +2, guard boost, speed sharpening , auto guard, + lance. Do you monsters even lift ?

Slow going, as now I have another two games to play. Just beat the Great Jaggi. I tried to fight him with a new weapon (longsword) but I was used to the speed of my Bone blades + and got my ass whipped. Can't handle slow, particularly to correct mistakes in seconds. Miss a swing with anything else, and...

So yeah, I'm gonna keep working with Dual Blades. I made a piece of armor - gonna have to hunt some more tomorrow... and get a new axe. Complete the set, then make an attempt to find the materials for a better set of blades. Can't find any of the shit to upgrade for Chief's Blades or forge anything else.

But I'm enjoying myself :)

EDIT: Where should I look in-game to find out what each special ability does?

RobbieNick

Had a good day of hunting today. Gathered some resources, went to new places for rare items, kileld my first Royal Ludroth on a quest (He's easier in the water than on land!), and while I've been using and improving my hammer through 95% of the game, I had enough material to max out my sword and shield. Now, I can cut through a Great Jaggi like a hot knife through butter. Hell, I managed to beat two without the need of a potion! Even Qurupeco can't take these blades for very long as it goes right through his toughest hide. Awesome.

I've been playing this game slow and steady and it's really worked out for me. I'll do a hunt or two, but I'll also do some gathering quests or just do some gathering , farming and trading on my own so I can forge the best weapons and armor. It's been working well.

How does one get guild cards when only playing the Wii U version?

People can offer them to you just like you can offer your Guild card to them.

Killed the Lagiacrus with a friend yesterday.
Found out that the distance between 3DS and Wii U REALLY matters when playing online (he bought a Wii U solely to be able to play MH3U online. I'm dead serious).
He dropped out mid-battle due to connection problems and I got killed three times so I had to do it again. We DESTROYED that mofugga, though!
Horns, crystals, claws, tail, everything gone, that fucker's DEAD!

This game keeps getting better.

Prade

No way. A huge number of your Greatsword attacks are still going to be uncharged potshots, which Fast Charge won't help at all with. My ideal Greatsword set has Sharpness +1, AUL, and Critical Draw. Anything after that is gravy.

Super Late reply here, but I was just catching up on pages. I personally think they're both great sets to have for a GSer. Critical draw isn't available to us poor GSers for a while it seems, and the Lagi set in this game comes with a beautiful skill in Tenderizer which when coupled with a charge(aided my focus) may very well out damage the AuM if you can land charges consistently. It's also a great set for a lot of weapons in general. To me, thanks to tenderizer, those quick pot shots that you were talking about will be buffed tremendously whenever you connect on a weak spot.

ramyeon

hmm lemme check i'm a bit vague on the order..

ahh it comes after the Arzuros Axe. So bone->bone+>arzuros->pecco. Sorry 'bout that. I do feel your pain, it seems like the switch-axes are just dribbled out at glacial pace compared to other weapons. for more variety you basically have to keep making the two starters and upgrading them different ways.
Thanks a lot. Just managed to upgrade to that after farming a bit. Stats are looking much better!

Raide

What low rank set do you think is good for a Bow User? I would have gone for Peco back in Tri but I heard its pretty much a Hunting Horn set now. What set should I be aiming for later down the road? Getting use to all the names for skills again.

Just completed the Flooded Forest DLC - (Lagia, Gobul and Ludroth) high rank. You get an IOU ticket to forge new armor. I also got a Lagia Sphere from the rewards =)

The carves are mega potions, though.

Check it out hahaha

Shades.png

Ken

Just completed the Flooded Forest DLC - (Lagia, Gobul and Ludroth) high rank. You get an IOU ticket to forge new armor. I also got a Lagia Sphere from the rewards =)

The carves are mega potions, though.

Check it out hahaha

How do you get screenshots? I'm guessing from your stream/recorder thing?

Reknoc

Oh, I now remember why I was stuck on 3* village for so long on Tri. Did the capture Quropeco quest on the bus which made me feel pretty pumped, decided to do the Gobul Urgent since I still had some time left.

Gobul was all "lol no" proceeded to kick my ass, didn't help the sun was reflecting on my screen so I could see even less than normal. I did remember about halfway though my beatdown that I could fish him up at certain areas, but don't remember any of the details :(

ramyeon

Does anyone else find the Carpenterbug the most frustrating to find? I've been through free hunts on Sandy Plains about 10 times now checking all the spots they've appeared before and have only come away with 1. Also tried going to the Felyne cave in the Moga Woods around 5 times with no luck. Are there any places up until the Flooded Forest that they appear more often?

I just captured a Royal Ludroth in Moga Woods just as a free hunt. I was trying to get aqua sacs, but seemed like when I talked to the dude to get the hunt report I mostly got commodity type stuff. Is that the case, that if you capture something in free hunt you don't necessarily get many "parts" that belong to that monster?

Sorry if that's too vague or nonsensical, not 100% on all of the terminology.

Rize_21

I just captured a Royal Ludroth in Moga Woods just as a free hunt. I was trying to get aqua sacs, but seemed like when I talked to the dude to get the hunt report I mostly got commodity type stuff. Is that the case, that if you capture something in free hunt you don't necessarily get many "parts" that belong to that monster?

Sorry if that's too vague or nonsensical, not 100% on all of the terminology.

Yes it's exactly that,but in return,you'll have more rare items to trade with the captain Argosy.And you earn more Moga points too(I'd captured a Lagia this way and the points seemed much more important than killed,I should verify this).

What weapon class are you using? Can you get a weapon with green sharpness? Do you have traps and sonic bombs?

I was using a longsword with orange sharpness (the 2nd bone longsword). I was getting a shit ton of deflected shots, it was pretty infuriating. I can forge a green sharpness longsword if I can get my hands on some ice crystals. Will I be able to attack freely then?

The game supplies a couple sonic bombs but I wasn't using them at the right time. A dung bomb too but I still don't know what to do with that.

Xater

I was using a longsword with orange sharpness (the 2nd bone longsword). I was getting a shit ton of deflected shots, it was pretty infuriating. I can forge a green sharpness longsword if I can get my hands on some ice crystals. Will I be able to attack freely then?

The game supplies a couple sonic bombs but I wasn't using them at the right time. A dung bomb too but I still don't know what to do with that.

Yes get one with green sharpness.

Yes it's exactly that,but in return,you'll have more rare items to trade with the captain Argosy.And you earn more Moga points too(I'd captured a Lagia this way and the points seemed much more important than killed,I should verify this).

yep that's true iirc it's 150 for a G. Jaggi kill and 200 for a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom