• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prade

I was using a longsword with orange sharpness (the 2nd bone longsword). I was getting a shit ton of deflected shots, it was pretty infuriating. I can forge a green sharpness longsword if I can get my hands on some ice crystals. Will I be able to attack freely then?

The game supplies a couple sonic bombs but I wasn't using them at the right time. A dung bomb too but I still don't know what to do with that.

You need to mine in the tundra to get ice crystals. Talk to Neko and just go to the offline port and you'll be able to do that no problem. Use a sonic bomb on him whenever he's doing a dance or calling for help. Throw a dung bomb at a monster to make them run away.

ace3skoot

Does anyone else find the Carpenterbug the most frustrating to find? I've been through free hunts on Sandy Plains about 10 times now checking all the spots they've appeared before and have only come away with 1. Also tried going to the Felyne cave in the Moga Woods around 5 times with no luck. Are there any places up until the Flooded Forest that they appear more often?

go online gathering hall, tundra gathering, in area 1 bug spot immidately to your left when leaving camp, get honey end quest rinse and repeat, usually get 1 or 2 Carpenterbug every time.

Reknoc

You need to mine in the tundra to get ice crystals. Talk to Neko and just go to the offline port and you'll be able to do that no problem. Use a sonic bomb on him whenever he's doing a dance or calling for help. Throw a dung bomb at a monster to make them run away.

You can get them in the desert as well, it's where I got mine when upgrading my LS to green sharpness.

Pineconn

Man, built-in voice chat is so nice. There may be no host migration or way to check if people are on a quest, but dammit, I've never had so much fun playing MH online. It's especially nice meeting up with people who are actually good.

I've yet to hop in a GAF room, though. Might do that tonight.

Xater

Man, built-in voice chat is so nice. There may be no host migration or way to check if people are on a quest, but dammit, I've never had so much fun playing MH online. It's especially nice meeting up with people who are actually good.

I need to test out if people can hear me even if I have the Gamepad next to me. I play with the pro controller so I kind of have almost no need for the Gamepad.

Also I'll play later today as well. Well if you are from Europe you can join.

ramyeon

Finishing my high wroggi set then I'll jump online.
I just finished making this set now too. Looks great, but sadly had to retire the Bnahabra set which I prefer. Stats for Wroggi are just better.

Not sure if I'm ready for online yet or not, since I've only been playing for 2 days haha.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All righty, Uragaan village quest completed! Cadaceus battle when I get home from work.

The Uragaan seemed a whole lot easier than I remember for some reason. Back in Tri, it always took me forever to kill the bastard solo (more than 30 min, unsually). For some reason, not that hard. To be honest, a lot of the "hard" monsters I had trouble with before, seemed vaguely easier for some reason.

Probably years of playing Monster Hunter (since first game!), has caused muscle memory to kick in. :p

I need to test out if people can hear me even if I have the Gamepad next to me. I play with the pro controller so I kind of have almost no need for the Gamepad.

Also I'll play later today as well. Well if you are from Europe you can join.

I can confirm that having the pad about a 1 to 1.5 feet in front of you sitting on a desk, people can hear you clearly when you use the voice chat function.

Jarsonot

So I've got the teddy bear set, and working on wroggi for blademasters, but still using leather for my bow until I see something that seems worth my while...

Rocking gunlance and bow, still doing moga village stuff, and loving this game.

Looking forward to try out these online shenanigans, haven't even started the multiplayer stuff yet.

This is my first MH and I just unlocked the Great Jaggi quest. It was slow at first but I think I'm starting to grasp some of the mechanics.

How do you decide what Armor and weapons to craft and when? Like are there recommend sets or weapons you should go after at certain quest points. I haven't crafted or updates anything yet.

Ken

This is my first MH and I just unlocked the Great Jaggi quest. It was slow at first but I think I'm starting to grasp some of the mechanics.

How do you decide what Armor and weapons to craft and when? Like are there recommend sets or weapons you should go after at certain quest points. I haven't crafted or updates anything yet.

Craft when you need to or hit a wall.

Mupod

Finally got my Jhen killer set up and running last night. Jhen helmet/torso, Aelucanth gloves/waist, and Volvidon S legs for torso up. Thanks to my dragon attack +7 expert +5 charm it gives me critical eye+3 and dragon attack+2, which brings my rustshard hammer to 370 dragon I think. Also looks incredibly badass if I change all the pigment to red.

With a bit of finagling and switching out the aelucanth for bone, I can turn it into a hunting horn set with CE+3, horn maestro and defense up small. Which is nice because the only hunting horns worth a damn that I can make atm all have negative affinity. It's always felt like having ANY negative affinity meant you got far more 'negative crits' than you should be getting...10% seems more like 50%.

As for the Aelucanth set itself - getting the butterflies from the guild card NPC hunter wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After making it show up in the offline tavern by receiving a guild card it only costs a pittance (less than 1000z to max out the chances) to send out. Seems like it takes 3 'cycles' to finish a hunt and 3 more for the hunter to show back up in the tavern - I have no idea how this works if you've received multiple cards because I only got one so far. It's good that you don't need to get a new guild card/streetpass every time. At any rate, I got a butterfly every time they did the Rathian or Bullfango quests, they only failed once and that was on Agnaktor.

It's cute that their actual hunter shows up in the tavern though. So I guess Satchy gets my beautiful pink Gargwa Man hanging out there. I suppose this really sucks for 3DS owners who can't streetpass, because Aelucanth is imo the best looking set still and that's the only way to get it if you can't go online.

Airan

I THINK you can check what quest is currently active on at the quest board, or when you're searching for a room you can press R to swap the data around and see the host details (whether the host is in the port or on a quest). It's all a bit dumb since I remember Tri having active quest indicators in the marina area as well as the tavern. No idea why they receeded back to early 2000-era connectivity features.

Alright things are starting to click with bow even more now. I did a Rathalos hunt with my cousin last night and throughout the entire fight I dumped focused arrow rains directly on his head without going into aim mode. Enough to knock him out twice. I’m even starting to preemptively launch arrow rains knowing he was going to turn his head into it. It’s so satisfying.

I still have a bunch of unanswered questions about Bows, well sort of. I think I know the answers but I'd like some confirmation.

1. Is the shot type (Spread lv2, Rapid lv3) the most important aspect of any bow? Based off my findings it is quite a substantial multiplier on damage and coating application. So for example, I have a Queen Blaster (180 raw & Spread LV3) and a Boltsender (180 raw + 40 Lightning & Spread LV2). Even is a monster is weak to lightning I think it’s better to use the Queen Blaster because you’re getting an extra 2 arrows every attack.

2. From what I've been able to gather it seems a single arrow rain is as powerful or perhaps a little more than a level 3 charged shot. However, if you’re looking for the highest possible damage output I believe constant charge shots are better simply because there is much less animation time. Am I correct?

Also more of a general question, does elemental damage suck as much as I think it does? I noticed in the damage formulas your elemental damage is divided by 10, so without getting into details it means you’re really only doing 10% of the number you see. Meaning that 40 Lightning damage on the Boltsender bow is really only adding about 4 additional damage (2% more). Does monster weakness multiply that additional damage more than I think it does?

I’m thinking of writing up an advanced bow guide with what I've learned. All of the guides I've been able to find out there don’t go into the details I was looking for and I think other bow users would find it useful.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need to start going into things more prepared. Also, I need to spend a day doing nothing but gathering mats. I screwed up trapping a Qurupeco, and as a result, I couldn't finish the quest because I didn't have the mats to make another trap. Bah.

Also, anyone have any good early-game money making tips? I hate being so poor.

Mupod

Also more of a general question, does elemental damage suck as much as I think it does? I noticed in the damage formulas your elemental damage is divided by 10, so without getting into details it means you’re really only doing 10% of the number you see. Meaning that 40 Lightning damage on the Boltsender bow is really only adding about 4 additional damage (2% more). Does monster weakness multiply that additional damage more than I think it does?

Every monster part has a defensive modifier for raw and elemental damage. For example Derpasaurus takes 55% impact and 35% cut damage on its head. It takes 35% fire and 0% from ice. So it's not 'weak' to fire per se, just less invulnerable. Using a low raw damage and high ice damage weapon on him would be a waste of time, but if it was say a GS with 900 raw and 50 ice then no big deal.

However elemental damage can really add up especially with certain shot types. Remember that weapons don't do their full raw damage with every hit - the HH for example is lucky to do around 40% with a single hit. Which is reduced further by the defense of that part. So that 4 additional damage would be better than you think, especially if you hit many many times like bows do. I'm not familiar with post-MHFU bows but they were always very elemental dependent back then.

Made this sword and managed to send Qurupeco packing.

Yz4NFhr.jpg

This game has me firmly by the balls. I regretted picking it up with my 3DS for the first few hours but now that I'm kicking asses, making shit, then kicking more asses that couldn't be further from the truth.

Anyone want to help me do the urgent quest to get to HR 2? Fight with Lagiacrus. If not I'll probably just do it on my own.

Edit: NA by the way. I created a room in Novice A. Hunters725. Lobby 1.

Salaadin

So I messed around with a bunch of weapons yesterday and settled with the Great Sword. It just fits the way I play so nicely. I promptly beat down Barroth with it twice.
Also, that feeling when you swing a GS into a group of screaming Jaggis. So good.

Ohnonono

I want to learn to Gunlance in this version. Anyone know a good path to go down so I don't waste lots of moneys trying to get to a decent one?

Is it not worth trying to build secondary sets for guns/bows if I'm playing solo only? I haven't touched those weapons but am a little wary crafting around them if its just going to take away from my blademaster crafting.

Can you quest effectively solo with a gun or bow? Is it a pain?

Chuckpebble

Welp, I dusted off excel again. I needed to justify using the Wyvern Bone Gunlance over that one from the Bullfango event.

I'm not sure how sharing docs on Google drive works, but this should be useful to others. I guess, don't wreck the original.

Is it not worth trying to build secondary sets for guns/bows if I'm playing solo only? I haven't touched those weapons but am a little wary crafting around them if its just going to take away from my blademaster crafting.

Yes, but its expensive early on. I keep blowing all of my armor money on ammo. That said, its a good idea to get proficient at it, because in the end of Tri at least, being good at bowgun really paid off for high level material farming.

Ohnonono

Sure you can, and no it isn't a pain. You just need to learn to use them. It can be more complicated than Hammer smash face but totally fun.

I’m thinking of writing up an advanced bow guide with what I've learned. All of the guides I've been able to find out there don’t go into the details I was looking for and I think other bow users would find it useful.

Any guide on the bow would be awesome. I'm interesting in trying them out more. So far I've been using S&S and hammers, but I'd like to hop online and would like to be able to play ranged as well.

I tried a bow once so far and couldn't figure out how to aim properly at anything. I felt so bumbling and awful that I immediately switched back to melee. Out of the ranged weapons, bows seem like the coolest to me, so I'm interested in any pointers.

Ohnonono

Welp, I dusted off excel again. I needed to justify using the Wyvern Bone Gunlance over that one from the Bullfango event.

I'm not sure how sharing docs on Google drive works, but this should be useful to others. I guess, don't wreck the original.

Yes, but its expensive early on. I keep blowing all of my armor money on ammo. That said, its a good idea to get proficient at it, because in the end of Tri at least, being good at bowgun really paid off for high level material farming.

From that spreadsheet it seems you may know some stuff about this. Are the Baroth Gunlances worth making? They have negative affinity which I always stayed away from in past games but they look awesome! Is it necessary to try to offset the negative affinity with gems and crap or are those weapons balanced so they are still good without?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom