• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to start going into things more prepared. Also, I need to spend a day doing nothing but gathering mats. I screwed up trapping a Qurupeco, and as a result, I couldn't finish the quest because I didn't have the mats to make another trap. Bah.

Also, anyone have any good early-game money making tips? I hate being so poor.

*shakes fist at Capcom*

They let you register armour sets.

It would be fantastic if they let you register loadouts for items.

Have a capture loadout.

A kill loadout.

A gathering loadout, etc...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
*shakes fist at Capcom*

Have a capture loadout.

A kill loadout.

Really, I'd be happy if they let me go to my storage after I've accepted a quest. I pick a quest and then want to prepare, not the other way around. :\

*shakes fist at Capcom*

Have a capture loadout.

A kill loadout.

That would be pretty great. Although sifting through items prepping for a quest and deciding what is crucial and what can be sacrificed is part of what I love about this game. But yeah, for the very basics it would have been nice to have included loadouts like that. You'd still have to edit around them so you wouldn't totally lose that (plus you wouldn't HAVE to use them).

Also, what is up with the video your tag links to?

Septimius

Are there any fish haul charm table searches up? Found one, but that site seems down. I used the date-time trick to get me into table 10, but I'd like to confirm it, too.

Ohnonono

Welp, I dusted off excel again. I needed to justify using the Wyvern Bone Gunlance over that one from the Bullfango event.

I'm not sure how sharing docs on Google drive works, but this should be useful to others. I guess, don't wreck the original.

Yes, but its expensive early on. I keep blowing all of my armor money on ammo. That said, its a good idea to get proficient at it, because in the end of Tri at least, being good at bowgun really paid off for high level material farming.

So looking at this more it appears that affinity is not nearly as big of a deal as I was treating it. Lots of the high low affinity weapons according to this are quite good.

Ken

Alright things are starting to click with bow even more now. I did a Rathalos hunt with my cousin last night and throughout the entire fight I dumped focused arrow rains directly on his head without going into aim mode. Enough to knock him out twice. I’m even starting to preemptively launch arrow rains knowing he was going to turn his head into it. It’s so satisfying.

I still have a bunch of unanswered questions about Bows, well sort of. I think I know the answers but I'd like some confirmation.

1. Is the shot type (Spread lv2, Rapid lv3) the most important aspect of any bow? Based off my findings it is quite a substantial multiplier on damage and coating application. So for example, I have a Queen Blaster (180 raw & Spread LV3) and a Boltsender (180 raw + 40 Lightning & Spread LV2). Even is a monster is weak to lightning I think it’s better to use the Queen Blaster because you’re getting an extra 2 arrows every attack.

2. From what I've been able to gather it seems a single arrow rain is as powerful or perhaps a little more than a level 3 charged shot. However, if you’re looking for the highest possible damage output I believe constant charge shots are better simply because there is much less animation time. Am I correct?

Also more of a general question, does elemental damage suck as much as I think it does? I noticed in the damage formulas your elemental damage is divided by 10, so without getting into details it means you’re really only doing 10% of the number you see. Meaning that 40 Lightning damage on the Boltsender bow is really only adding about 4 additional damage (2% more). Does monster weakness multiply that additional damage more than I think it does?

I’m thinking of writing up an advanced bow guide with what I've learned. All of the guides I've been able to find out there don’t go into the details I was looking for and I think other bow users would find it useful.

1. Different shot types for different monsters. Spread is nice for large monsters. Pierce for long monsters, and rapid for everything else. Higher level shot typically goes like...you will do more damage but you must hit every shot to see that damage boost. It's usually best to fully charge anyways.

2. Arrow rain knocks allies away so it's not advisable to spam online.

rugioh

Banned
I've tried talking into my Wii U tablet microphone but I'm not sure if its working... I checked the microphone button on the tablet to ON but noone replies to what I'm saying. How do I check to make sure its working?

I've tried talking into my Wii U tablet microphone but I'm not sure if its working... I checked the microphone button on the tablet to ON but noone replies to what I'm saying. How do I check to make sure its working?

Not to sound patronising but sure your gamepad volume is up so you can hear their replies? That was what happened to me at first ._.

Also, what is up with the video your tag links to?

No idea man. xD

I went into a SimCity thread and talked some shit when Arthur Gies was on a twitter-rampage...or people were on a rampage about his twitter.

Some other guy referred to SimCity as SimGies. I think one of the mods meant to give it to someone else.

15 minutes later I have this tag.

I really have zero clue about it. I find it funny though. What it should read though is, "I went into a SimCity shit-talking thread and all I got was this stupid tag!"

NeoRausch

I was just about to post:"jumping online now!"

... servers are still down it seems...

Meh!

i hope it's because of the US/Euro/Gamepad-patch.

Fistwell

So, are they starting some of the monsters your char encounters for the first time enraged right from the get go? Is this a thing? Narga was insta raging on his first fight. I thing zinogre was as well, though I don't remember any details... fight was kind of a blur (3AM, drunk, and after several days of not sleeping enough).

rugioh

Banned
Not to sound patronising but sure your gamepad volume is up so you can hear their replies? That was what happened to me at first ._.

Hmm I didn't plug in headphones so maybe their sounds were getting drowned out. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm just hoping I dont have to buy a first party headset just for MH3U haha.

Sanic

I'm about ten hours in, but I have to say that this game has almost single-handidly made my Wii U purchase worth it (not that it wasn't before). I was pretty down on the demo, but I figured I would give the full game a shot and i'm glad I did. I still take issue with certain aspects of the game, but I can see myself playing this for a long time going forward.

Mondriaan

Hmm I didn't plug in headphones so maybe their sounds were getting drowned out. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm just hoping I dont have to buy a first party headset just for MH3U haha.

Chat mode isn't on by default. You probably have to tap near the top of the gamepad screen (where it's telling you that chat or the mic or whatever is off) to turn your mic on.

Fistwell

Didnt it use to be that you could only cut narga tail when he was enraged? Do pitfall traps now also work when he's not raging?

i hope it's because of the US/Euro/Gamepad-patch.
Hahaha! Servers being maintained by incompetent dumbasses sounds more likely.

So how are people's opinions on helping others farm? Was playing online yesterday (got to HR2 online) and it seemed like we were just steamrolling through everything, but now I feel like I should upgrade my armor, partly because I noticed that my current armor lowers my status attack (and I lurv me some poison arrows). I'm thinking I'll go for Rathian unless I find something wrong with it/something just plain better that wouldn't take 4 ages to get, but I don't know how willing people would be to spam killing a Rathian over and over.

EDIT: Might also shoot for Giggi armor, but it comparitively looks lame. :/

So how are people's opinions on helping others farm? Was playing online yesterday (got to HR2 online) and it seemed like we were just steamrolling through everything, but now I feel like I should upgrade my armor, partly because I noticed that my current armor lowers my status attack (and I lurv me some poison arrows). I'm thinking I'll go for Rathian unless I find something wrong with it/something just plain better that wouldn't take 4 ages to get, but I don't know how willing people would be to spam killing a Rathian over and over.

A lot of people just want to get to the high rank quests, but if you want to farm, just ask them and I'm sure they'd be glad to help. I would at least.

depths20XX

Picked up a 3DS XL last weekend on sale and I've been playing this nonstop... like 24 hours in 2 days. Haven't done that for a while.

I had only really played Freedom Unite before this but didn't get a lot of time in, this one is hooking me more for some reason.

What's this charm table stuff? It sounds like something that you have no control over that can screw you over?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This is what I prefer to do. Find a group and just start farming monsters together. It's much more enjoyable to farm with friends.

Those who want to rush to the "end-game" and kill the hardest monsters with a group are fine and dandy, but I find no enjoyment out of that. Besides, I feel like a HUGE skill gap in MH is the ability to solo something (with Cha-cha of course!) vs not.

I should have everything ready to go in the next few days and will be joining up the online fun with GAF. That being said, I'd love to help farm as I work my way up the ranks.

Chuckpebble

So looking at this more it appears that affinity is not nearly as big of a deal as I was treating it. Lots of the high low affinity weapons according to this are quite good.

Yeah, and the less attacks you do, the higher negative affinity you can get away with. For instance, don't worry too much about a GS with -30%, there's a good chance your charge attacks will be full strength. And in previous games, you would offset that on a great sword with critical draw. Although, I heard something troubling about the way that skill works in this game. Instead of crit draw guaranteeing a critical draw attack, it adds 100% to your affinity during a draw attack. So a GS with -30% would mean that you have a 70% chance of getting a crit on a draw attack, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about a wiff attack.

Beats

If you can't find anyone here for farming help you could always make a room with "farming" as the name and the Target as whatever you need (you can search rooms by "target" also). I got a few people to help me kill Zinogre a bunch yesterday.

Mupod

You can search for rooms that are after a specific monster. I did this last night for Rathian because I needed a plate for my Jhen hat, and we just burned through the high rank one a bunch of times. On a related note always blows my mind that people join rooms that say they are going for Rathian, with 'Rathian' in the title, and then start asking to do Rathalos or Lagi or something.

As for Rathian set it sucks. It has a long tradition of suck, actually. But I guess it'd be ok early on before you unlock decent health boosts in the canteen. And Rathian's pretty easy (or just not as annoying as Rathalos) so when you just hit high rank and are dying for something with decent defense it works.

Santiako

I'm loving the Volvidon armour I made for myself. Attack Up, Evasion Up and I look like a villain from an old Power Rangers episode? Yes please.

FlyFaster

certain room/lobby that GAF is using?

I've been mostly playing offline to get things squared away and havethe farm up and running at full capacity. Anyway, would be cool to play with some of you guys.

NNID: ZenTea

Hoodbury

certain room/lobby that GAF is using?

I've been mostly playing offline to get things squared away and havethe farm up and running at full capacity. Anyway, would be cool to play with some of you guys.

NNID: ZenTea

Quote the OP of this thread for world/server location and the common password we use.

Next Question Gaf: How to bow?

I can't use that weapon for shit.

I'm no pro, but from what I can tell for general purpose you're going to charge it all the way up to "Charge 3" (two flashes) whenever possible. I tend to like bows that perform "Rapid" at charge 3 (it's something that you can see in the weapon's stats, the arrows will behave differently at different charge levels). Using coatings is, for most bows, a necessity, with Power increasing your attack by 50%, and the rest doing whatever status you're applying. Paint Coating is also really useful, as you don't necessarily have to worry about putting your weapon away.

As for when you're fighting, you want to try and stay at a distance where your arrows are hitting the monster right around the peak of the arc. I changed my "Quick aim" options so that holding R doesn't screw with my camera as I aim around, so that makes it easier to do that for me. Always always always go to Charge 3, unless you want specifically the Charge 2 arrow behavior. If you just press X and let it fly, you're doing 40% of the arrow's damage, at Charge 2 (one flash) you're doing 100%, and I believe Charge 3 is 150% or something like that. Elemental damage also goes up every charge.
One thing to note, that I still have a bad habit of doing, is trying to hit the monster before they hit you. While your arrow is being pulled back, as long as you have enough stamina you can still dodge (but with Y for some reason...), but I find myself trying to hit the monster asap before he hits me, which of course plants me for that moment, getting me hit. Bow is an oppurtunist, don't be like me and fail to take advantage haha. Also aim for weakpoints, which is typically the face. I find it a LOT easier to hit their heads with a bow and stay safe then I do with a melee weapon.

Personally, I like the Rapid lvl 3 as my 3rd charge on a weapon, as then I can usually get 2 or even 3 of the arrows straight in their face. Mhmhm. Good.

EDIT: Following this sort of generalizations I've been able to take a Raw bow (the Wroggi Revolver) up to Lagiacrus with little to no effort. All I need is a cha cha to occasionally distract whatever I'm killing to give me a few more free shots. I will say though that the Raptors are a pain in the ass, for the sole reason that Bow is terrible at taking out a large number of small, midgety monsters, so I have to just keep running.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh, I now remember why I was stuck on 3* village for so long on Tri. Did the capture Quropeco quest on the bus which made me feel pretty pumped, decided to do the Gobul Urgent since I still had some time left.

Gobul was all "lol no" proceeded to kick my ass, didn't help the sun was reflecting on my screen so I could see even less than normal. I did remember about halfway though my beatdown that I could fish him up at certain areas, but don't remember any of the details :(

Lol yeah I got it a bit ago but I'm waiting until I'm back on my comfy couch to attempt. No way I'd try it on the commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom