• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Gobul and Laggi down. Spent about 10+ hours and I have only just figured out how to coat the bow and do the air attack. Using the Wroggi Bow and poison shots. The Air Attack looks like a bomb on a parachute. :D

Is Gobul... "hard"? I remember back in Tri, which was for all intents and purposes my first MH that I played for more than an hour, he was the only one that I killed without fainting on my first time through.

Went through it this time and he gave me a bit more trouble than the previous one or two monsters, but I still didn't feel he was hard.

Wroggi bow is the shit. Power, enhanced poison, doesn't have a stupid ass arrow behavior (IMO), and has decent attack. Awwww yeaaahhh.

Raide

Is Gobul... "hard"? I remember back in Tri, which was for all intents and purposes my first MH that I played for more than an hour, he was the only one that I killed without fainting on my first time through.

Went through it this time and he gave me a bit more trouble than the previous one or two monsters, but I still didn't feel he was hard.

Wroggi bow is the shit. Power, enhanced poison, doesn't have a stupid ass arrow behavior (IMO), and has decent attack. Awwww yeaaahhh.

*Wroggi Bow Hi-5*

Gobul as a bow user seems pretty easy if you using the monster target thing. The flashing and charging can still be annoying.

Wait a minute - another noob question - if I'm playing SP only on 3DS, are there different MP quests that I can play solo (or with Cha Cha)? Or are they just the same quests? If the latter, is there a reason to play them solo rather than just replaying the SP quests?

He is an arsehole certainly but I can't call him hard no. Made myself a really cool Greatsword from him too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finished making my Wroggi armor! ..what should I add to it? (GS user)

Also this armor looks boss as hell.

Proven

So after the game came out, I played for a day with four other friends, then went to PAX East, then came back and played with those same friends for a day yesterday. Now I can come back to lurking on NeoGAF and posting almost controversial opinions that get ignored or shouted down anyway!

1. Different shot types for different monsters. Spread is nice for large monsters. Pierce for long monsters, and rapid for everything else. Higher level shot typically goes like...you will do more damage but you must hit every shot to see that damage boost. It's usually best to fully charge anyways.

2. Arrow rain knocks allies away so it's not advisable to spam online.

Okay, I hate all the comments about "never use this online". There's a reason why it's said, and that's because it can interrupt your teammates and lower damage potential. So just avoid hitting teammates.

You need to arrow rain to help break those damn humps on a Duramboros quickly? Or apply a status really fast? Just don't miss.

You have a Switch Axe and you have just enough time for an upswing before a Diablos or something runs away from you? Get some damage on that tail if you're the only one who can.

You have a Hammer or Hunting Horn. You KO monsters. The safest way is the super pounds. Just stand a bit to the side, and when a monster turns away from your friends to face you... bam, safe hit.

Be skillful and don't miss. For a lot of weapons, these "ally interrupting attacks" are powerful or utility attacks designed to be used, but used carefully. Or what, you're going to tell a Bowgun user to never fire a shot off against small monsters?

My largest disappointment in blowing through the low rank multiplayer missions so far is that the low rank monsters are so weak, you don't even need to use those attacks to kill quickly, sadly.

So how are people's opinions on helping others farm? Was playing online yesterday (got to HR2 online) and it seemed like we were just steamrolling through everything, but now I feel like I should upgrade my armor, partly because I noticed that my current armor lowers my status attack (and I lurv me some poison arrows). I'm thinking I'll go for Rathian unless I find something wrong with it/something just plain better that wouldn't take 4 ages to get, but I don't know how willing people would be to spam killing a Rathian over and over.

EDIT: Might also shoot for Giggi armor, but it comparitively looks lame. :/

The one thing about having Hunter Rank grinding in Tri was that it gave you time and extra incentive to get more armor. I'm having the same problem asking my friends to grind for armors, especially when it only takes 3 kills max on an individual monster just to finish a weapon upgrade. You can just keep going so fast that I haven't changed my armor in ages.

Wait a minute - another noob question - if I'm playing SP only on 3DS, are there different MP quests that I can play solo (or with Cha Cha)? Or are they just the same quests? If the latter, is there a reason to play them solo rather than just replaying the SP quests?

The Solo Port missions are the exact same as the Multi Port missions. Playing Solo rather than Multi when you're alone saves battery life and makes it easier to use the Hunters for Hire feature.

The quests, however, are different than the ones in Moga Village. They're streamlined (you get a whole list the second you get a new rank, with less urgents interrupting you) and defeating those raises your Hunter Rank, rather than continuing the story when in Moga Village. The monsters are also a little harder than the Moga Village ones.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Next Question Gaf: How to bow?

I can't use that weapon for shit.

Key things to remember:

Shooting with no charge is only 45% power. Charge at least once to get 100%.

If your arrow hits, when on its downward arc,you're also losing power.

Rapid is good for cutting parts off, spread is good for multiple targets, and pierce is effective for large monsters, especially if you can line up your shot to go though as much body mass as possible.

I actually feel disadvantaged in the water with a bow, because having to aim up and down screws me over... Although target cam is a life saver there.

Still waiting for another viable bow... Just spent all the mats on the Lagi bow to find out I hate it. AGH.

Ace, you can in fact play them single player... Just make sure to level the shit out of your two Chakalackamakabakataka munchkins and take them both -- the game still scales them for 4 hunters.

Reknoc

Lol yeah I got it a bit ago but I'm waiting until I'm back on my comfy couch to attempt. No way I'd try it on the commute.

Gonna give him another go on the way home, hopefully the sun wont get in my way as much.

he's hard :( big ol' dumb fish

Mupod

Not 100% sure what you're asking here but there are village quests and tavern quests. Village quests are solo-only and the monsters are weaker - there's both low rank and high rank village stuff. High rank is unlocked after clearing Ceadeus and has stronger monsters and new armor/weapons to collect.

The tavern quests are designed for multiplayer so the monsters have somewhat higher HP, but everything is soloable and available singleplayer. You can bring cha-cha and kayamba along as well. There's a whole rank of quests above high rank called G-rank available there. G-rank armors/weapons and monsters are NOT available in the village quests so if you want them then you've gotta tackle those tavern quests. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

Hiltz

Gobul can be fairly hard if you don't have a weapon you can use to block with since he likes to roll underwater and rush at you as well. You know, dodging is trickier to do underwater, so it may be a good idea to try to stay underneath his belly. If you can fish him out on to dry land, then Gobul's quite easy to defeat.

Hrm with all these comments on Gobul I guess I'm just a bow guy. Now if only I can discipline myself to prioritize dodging over attacking! T-T

Kept finding myself just always unleashing combos with the SnS due to mild button mashing, thus missing dodge times, so I switched over to bow (zero button mash ability, no button mash problem.). I dodge more now, but still not enough. Oh well, only been carted once so far, and that was due to Nigelsnarf's bite one-shotting me.

Mupod

Just remember that you can't fish a monster out with a frog if he's seen you. If you're playing online and doing Gobul, please don't jump in the river when someone's trying to fish.

Plesioth can be fished repeatedly if he jumps back in the water WHEN HE'S TIRED/DROOLING. You can tell he's tired when underwater if he's spamming his taunt.

I presume this would work on Gobul too but I've never seen him go to a fishable area when hungry.

Gobul's only difficult if you're aiming to destroy the lantern.

As an impact weapon user that's pretty much all I do since it's his weak point. He hangs it down conveniently when he's stunned on land, and underwater it's a great target for the hammer/HH super pound hitbox. And he can't roll over you when you're above him.

You'll still never get a gobul lantern+, it doesn't exist.

Finished making my Wroggi armor! ..what should I add to it? (GS user)

Also this armor looks boss as hell.

jack_nicholson_nod.gif

Finished my Wroggi+ armor earlier today. Can't deny that the looks influenced my decision :lol (3 Ultimate got much crazier designs in general, chainsaw LS wat?) Still, thumbs up for less antidotes and whetsones.

Not 100% sure what you're asking here but there are village quests and tavern quests. Village quests are solo-only and the monsters are weaker - there's both low rank and high rank village stuff. High rank is unlocked after clearing Ceadeus and has stronger monsters and new armor/weapons to collect.

The tavern quests are designed for multiplayer so the monsters have somewhat higher HP, but everything is soloable and available singleplayer. You can bring cha-cha and kayamba along as well. There's a whole rank of quests above high rank called G-rank available there. G-rank armors/weapons and monsters are NOT available in the village quests so if you want them then you've gotta tackle those tavern quests. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

Ok, thanks, I think you answered my question. So should I just keep playing through the Village quests first, then launch into the tavern quests solo? Or try to pop between the two to get different items and stuff?

This game makes me feel dumb. I don't remember that ever being explained to me - I thought the whole tavern thing was a multi hub only.

Mupod

Ok, thanks, I think you answered my question. So should I just keep playing through the Village quests first, then launch into the tavern quests solo? Or try to pop between the two to get different items and stuff?

This game makes me feel dumb. I don't remember that ever being explained to me - I thought the whole tavern thing was a multi hub only.

You might want to check on the tavern quests to see if there's 'canteen' quests available. These raise your food star levels when completed which gives you larger hp/stamina/whatever bonuses. Beware that 6 goldenfish quest, bring lots of goldenfish bait and mega fishing fly/snakebee larva.

Other than that it's fine to stick to village stuff at first. I don't think there's any tavern-only monsters in low/high rank.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jack_nicholson_nod.gif

Finished my Wroggi+ armor earlier today. Can't deny that the looks influenced my decision :lol (3 Ultimate got much crazier designs in general, chainsaw LS wat?) Still, thumbs up for less antidotes and whetsones.

Qn4LNS3.gif

Mondriaan

The one thing about having Hunter Rank grinding in Tri was that it gave you time and extra incentive to get more armor. I'm having the same problem asking my friends to grind for armors, especially when it only takes 3 kills max on an individual monster just to finish a weapon upgrade. You can just keep going so fast that I haven't changed my armor in ages.

Any system that makes it far more likely that everyone ready to rank up will have rank appropriate gear will make for boring games IMO. Part of the fun is going through quests with inadequate armor.

Having a set of key quests at least helps prevent repeatedly killing the easiest monster for easy HR points, which is far worse/boring than any issue with people running around in inadequate armor. (Yeah, I know that Tri also had key quests, but the HRP requirements were more annoying than fun.)

Ohnonono

Got my Wroggi Blademaster set and my Barroth Gun/Bow set. Now to farm for Barroth Gunlance and maybe end up making the Barroth BM set cause it looks rad.

So.... I'm almost half considering importing the CPP XL, getting it on 3DS, and then maining on the 3DS for the most part when the damn transfer tool comes out. Am I crazy? Already have it on the U.

Secondary note, would it actually be possible to have two people with two seperate accounts on the systems? Like, I use the Wii U version, GF uses the 3DS version, us both able to local multi with each other, and then switch back and forth as needed/wanted? If so that might justify the cost a lot better.
EDIT: Obviously with our own saves persistent across the two.

NeoRausch

where do I get aqua-sacs and kingscarabs from.

(roughly translated from the German version, no idea what they are called in English)

Fistwell

Jaggia is female?!
Dunno. Ian is female though. Someone joked about ian being my boyfriend yesterday (when really, she my waifu). Sure enough, pink ian carted his ass 3 times in a row on our next hunt. (I laughed! <3 ian)

(roughly translated from the German version, no idea what they are called in English)
King scarabs are a little bit all over the place in high-rank. Try tri high rank volcano for maximum profit.

Unicorn

How are bows? The ore-based bow looks so awesome. I tried the starting bow on some Kelbi but don't want to invest time into it if bowgun is a magnitude better

Chaos

This is my first MH and I just unlocked the Great Jaggi quest. It was slow at first but I think I'm starting to grasp some of the mechanics.

How do you decide what Armor and weapons to craft and when? Like are there recommend sets or weapons you should go after at certain quest points. I haven't crafted or updates anything yet.

The easiest first Armour set for me was the Rhenoplos Armor, you just need to do the harverst tour sandy plains quest and farm the Rhenoplos ( Rhino looking mobs ) and I think you need some crystal that you get from mining in the cave in sandy plains.

Beats

King scarabs can be caught in Misty Peaks (Or just high rank areas in general?). Not sure about Aqua sacs.

Proven

Any system that makes it far more likely that everyone ready to rank up will have rank appropriate gear will make for boring games IMO. Part of the fun is going through quests with inadequate armor.

Having a set of key quests at least helps prevent repeatedly killing the easiest monster for easy HR points, which is far worse/boring than any issue with people running around in inadequate armor. (Yeah, I know that Tri also had key quests, but the HRP requirements were more annoying than fun.)

On the one hand, I'm playing primarily 3DS so I'm mostly playing with people I know for the next few months until I get a Wii U. On the other, annoying or not, I'm still too lazy to make new armors. This is compounded by the fact that the low rank armors mostly suck. If they want people to not go for the same armors and armor skills all the damn time, actually balance them better and make certain combinations more interesting and viable.

I'm still pissed off over how overpowered I know that rage-mode-boost armor skill will be, and how at least half of my friends are going to be looking to make a set with it. There's actually a possibility I'll be the only hold out.

Key things to remember:

Shooting with no charge is only 45% power. Charge at least once to get 100%.

If your arrow hits, when on its downward arc,you're also losing power.

Rapid is good for cutting parts off, spread is good for multiple targets, and pierce is effective for large monsters, especially if you can line up your shot to go though as much body mass as possible.

Needing to charge for 100% power? Downward arc loses power? This is the kind of stuff I was just about to look up. Thanks. Looks like my playstyle is compatible.

Jaggia is female?!
Jaggi male, Jaggia female. I know, but it's based on something in reality so just go with it.

I probably should upgrade my armor, but right now I haven't really found much incentive to stop rocking my Alloy set back from the beginning of the game.

Maybe I'll step up once I get to High Rank Barioth or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom