• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Just remember that you can't fish a monster out with a frog if he's seen you. If you're playing online and doing Gobul, please don't jump in the river when someone's trying to fish.

I don't think they can even stand close to the water shore. We were doing a Pleso hunt and I was in the process of fishing him out and he was on his way over to my frog when another hunter came over to stand by me and then pleso did his "! mark I see you" thing and wouldn't take the bait.

Oh, and for some reason gobul has always given me troubles. Hate that fight, heh.

How are bows? The ore-based bow looks so awesome. I tried the starting bow on some Kelbi but don't want to invest time into it if bowgun is a magnitude better

IMO, bows are a magnitude better. Do you like moving out of the way of things?
Bowguns have a bit more "versatility", but so far as I know that's really what they have going for them. With bowguns you swap ammo to swap elements, whereas bows it's tied to the weapon. But bowguns are slow, have to reload, are slow, and typically are slow.
Bows however are nice and fast, only have to worry about hitting a few number of actual shots, and aren't as expensive to maintain if you prefer to have just one. But a bowgun without ammo is like carrying a stick.

Wait the missions on the boat are different from the ones in the village? Holy shit. There is a lot to do in this... What have I gotten myself into?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm pretty sure Andrex wants to keep the OP clean and not bloated. I've been thinking about using my post that is right under the OP to keep useful links, so I think I will do that.

That's a better idea. I can direct people to the second post in the OP. :)

AirBrian

OK, I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere...

I'm assuming to play locally on the Wii U, you must have a copy of the game for each 3DS? Or does the Wii U just "download play" (for lack of a better term) to each 3DS "connected". Basically, how many damn copies of this game do I have to buy?

Sorry if this has been covered, I did try searching this thread.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oooooooooooh I want the Ivory Lagiacrus GS. But what's it called? Doesn't seem to be in the GS weapon tree...

Wait the missions on the boat are different from the ones in the village? Holy shit. There is a lot to do in this... What have I gotten myself into?

Your previous life is gone. All that you are now is a hunter.

One of us, one of us.

OK, I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere...

I'm assuming to play locally on the Wii U, you must have a copy of the game for each 3DS? Or does the Wii U just "download play" (for lack of a better term) to each 3DS "connected". Basically, how many damn copies of this game do I have to buy?

Sorry if this has been covered, I did try searching this thread.

It's in the OP, but yes local multiplayer requires 3DS copies.

Xater

Can you get Toxic sacs only from high level Gigginox? It looks like I have everything I need for a high level Wroggi set except those and I don#t have a mission for him....

AirBrian

Oooooooooooh I want the Ivory Lagiacrus GS. But what's it called? Doesn't seem to be in the GS weapon tree...

Your previous life is gone. All that you are now is a hunter.

One of us, one of us.

It's in the OP, but yes local multiplayer requires 3DS copies.

The Wii U version can play locally with up to three other Nintendo 3DS version players.
I saw that, but it wasn't clear to me if a seperate 3DS game was required or if it used a similar "download play" type functionality.

Regardless, thanks for the answer!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is there any story to speak of in this game?

Does it even matter?

"Loot" of games never really appealed to me.

Sort of. It's light. You're set up as this town's only real hope against this nasty monster that's (supposedly) making earth quakes which could destroy the town. You start as a nobody but everyone in the town helps you out, and you gradually gain people's admiration by taking down bigger and bigger foes on your way to take down the "big bad." It's paper thin but it does a good job of making you feel like you're actually progressing in the game.

If you don't like loot but want a good story, this isn't the series for you, though.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Even MORE noob questions ;)

I remember people saying you can 'lock on' to monsters in the 3ds version? The area where this should be, is a monster symbol with a question mark on it. Touching it does nothing...

Reknoc

Does it even matter?

It's the story of one mans quest to beat up the loch ness monster with the help of Guild Sweetheart.

I remember people saying you can 'lock on' to monsters in the 3ds version? The area where this should be, is a monster symbol with a question mark on it. Touching it does nothing...

You can only use it on large monsters, all it does is centre the camera on a monster instead of your character, it's pretty helpful.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You have to be in the same area as a big monster for it to be active.

Morokh

You must be in the same area than the monster, he must have spotted you, then you click the icon and a 'target' appears on it.
From that point on every time you're in the same area than the monster just press 'L' and the camera will center on it.

Kouriozan

Can you get Toxic sacs only from high level Gigginox? It looks like I have everything I need for a high level Wroggi set except those and I don#t have a mission for him....
I could make that set without hunting high rank giggi.
Don't remember how I got it though.

You must be in the same area than the monster, he must have spotted you, then you click the icon and a 'target' appears on it.
From that point on every time you're in the same area than the monster just press 'R' and the camera will center on it.

Isn't it 'L', and 'R' to run?

yami4ct

You haven't been seen by the monster yet. You need to actually engage with the big monster for the lock on cam to be used.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's the story of one mans quest to beat up the loch ness monster with the help of Guild Sweetheart.

BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif

1kRrX2Ml.jpg

BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif
BM4TK.gif

Mugaaz

Yeah, and the less attacks you do, the higher negative affinity you can get away with. For instance, don't worry too much about a GS with -30%, there's a good chance your charge attacks will be full strength. And in previous games, you would offset that on a great sword with critical draw. Although, I heard something troubling about the way that skill works in this game. Instead of crit draw guaranteeing a critical draw attack, it adds 100% to your affinity during a draw attack. So a GS with -30% would mean that you have a 70% chance of getting a crit on a draw attack, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about a wiff attack.

Come on man. The # of attacks you do doesnt impact affinity in any way shape or form. However, for the GS negative affinity can be a bigger deal that for other weapons. The reason is because using charge ttacks its quite easy to know exactly when you will stagger, neg affinity can ruin your potential to predict and setup. You can get arnound this by memorizing the different damage values for non crit vs crit and paying attention to the dmg color and then adding during the match, but its a huge pain in the ass.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mmm, Lagiacrus Hunting Horn is so good for fighting Barioth. Not only is it pretty weak to Thunder, but the Horn has Negate Mud / Snow, Stop Stamina Depletion, Wind Res and Defense buffs. Unlimited Stamina and no fear of being snowballed is quite nice.

Haunted

Gunlance pro questions:

Logic dictates that a discharge attack (X, X, X, A) would be more powerful if the gunlance has more magazine capacity - i.e. 5 bullets instead of 3. Is that assumption correct?

Also: Wyvern Fire drops sharpness like a motherfucker. Still worth using whenever possible?

muu

Does it even matter?

Loot is one aspect, mastering weapons (and monsters) is another. Do you enjoy boss fights? Boss rush modes? Destructible bosses that actually get weaker as you damage them in the right way (not the other way around as most games) is what makes the game so interesting for me. It's what made Bushido Blade special, just that you're fighting a 50ft dragon instead. Which makes it all the more epic.

Gunlance pro questions:

Logic dictates that a discharge attack (X, X, X, A) would be more powerful if the gunlance has more magazine capacity - i.e. 5 bullets instead of 3. Is that assumption correct?

Also: Wyvern Fire drops sharpness like a motherfucker. Still worth using whenever possible?

End up using XXA XXA XX backdash as a solid string of damage. I never really used the discharge attack (I feel like it lowers sharpness too quickly and leaves you exposed)
Wyvern Fire is great burst damage when the monster is down and want to hit a specific part.
I am using the Rathalos Gunlance (Red Rook+) so the sharpness isn't too much of an issue.

Bankoiia

Finally managed to capture a Qurupeco! I was having a hard time with captures in general at first, but now I think I got it down. Waiting for a tell-tale sign that the monster is weak takes a little time to get used to.

Chuckpebble

Come on man. The # of attacks you do doesnt impact affinity in any way shape or form. However, for the GS negative affinity can be a bigger deal that for other weapons. The reason is because using charge ttacks its quite easy to know exactly when you will stagger, neg affinity can ruin your potential to predict and setup. You can get arnound this by memorizing the different damage values for non crit vs crit and paying attention to the dmg color and then adding during the match, but its a huge pain in the ass.

I was just getting at the fact that its completely random. Like 5% positive crit can still have 4 crits in a row, but it gets much closer to exactly 1 twentieth of your attacks the more times you attack. Rule of large numbers or something. I feel like high negative affinity is much worse on SnS, DS and Bowgun.

Hoodbury

With a greatsword it is beneficial to release before it does so auto matically right?

Correct. You will get the famed 'triple charge' attack if you release it right when the blue light flashes. If you hold it too long and it auto finishes, you are back down to a charge 2 level.

Haunted

End up using XXA XXA XX backdash as a solid string of damage. I never really used the discharge attack (I feel like it lowers sharpness too quickly and leaves you exposed)
Wyvern Fire is great burst damage when the monster is down and want to hit a specific part.
I am using the Rathalos Gunlance (Red Rook+) so the sharpness isn't too much of an issue.
Ooh, XXA chains really well, nice! Also depending on capacity it can still be chained into a discharge at the end.

ultron87

What is the secret to the BBQ Spit? I cannot for the life of me get anything except rare or burnt. Like I wait till it changes colors and everything and it still gives rare.

Haunted

Finally managed to capture a Qurupeco! I was having a hard time with captures in general at first, but now I think I got it down. Waiting for a tell-tale sign that the monster is weak takes a little time to get used to.
Even if you're not sure that the monster was limping, when it retreats to its nest and goes to sleep, it's generally ripe for capture.

What is the secret to the BBQ Spit? I cannot for the life of me get anything except rare or burnt. Like I wait till it changes colors and everything and it still gives rare.
It changes colour twice to be well-done. It's hard to notice at first but if you consciously spot the transition of the white bone from yellow to orange (rare to well done) even once, you won't miss it anymore.

I find the Double BBQ Spit also helps to get into a rhythm with the music and all.

Hoodbury

It's simply pressing A a beat after the last musical note. Use the bone part of the image to look for the change in color for the visual clue.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Correct. You will get the famed 'triple charge' attack if you release it right when the blue light flashes. If you hold it too long and it auto finishes, you are back down to a charge 1 level I believe.

I thought it was level 2?

persongr

Hey guys, has ever anyone managed to carve a Barroth tail? I'm going insane here, I probably hunted over six Barroths and never got one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey guys, has ever anyone managed to carve a Barroth tail? I'm going insane here, I probably hunted over six Barroths and never got one.

It took me a while but I did last night. I had to break the end of it first, though.

Then again I use a GS.

Haunted

Wiki says there's a 70% carve chance if you sever the tail and carve it directly. If you cut off its tail 6 times and never got it, that's some real bad luck. Capturing a Barroth yields a 27% chance, just killing the Barroth without cutting off the tail will never give you one.

The best tip is to not really want it so much to trick the desire sensor into giving you one. :p

persongr

It took me a while but I did last night. I had to break the end of it first, though.

Then again I use a GS.

Yeah, I know I have to sever it, but my scythes don't seem to able to reach its tail.

GunLance, eh? Gonna give it a try, thanks.

Wiki says there's a 70% carve chance if you sever the tail and carve it directly. If you cut off its tail 6 times and never got it, that's some real bad luck.

Capturing a Barroth yields a 27% chance, just killing the Barroth without cutting off the tail won't give you one.

I know i have to cut off its tail, the problem is my weapon isn't the ideal for this job. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom