• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

Fucking Jhen, why won't your arms break!? I beat him with 9 minutes remaining so maybe I'll hit those instead of his tummy in phase 2 next time. Or bomb them. Still need 4 more bloods so might as well try for the Yamato waist piece, but it needs 4 braces.

I want a crit draw GS just to use it on Volvidon. I'm really good at knocking him out of rolls with the HH now and it's fun as hell.

Speaking of which, if you do the dual volvidon quest try fighting both at once. I saw them roll into one another, bounce off and end up sprawled on the ground. It's hilarious.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys, has ever anyone managed to carve a Barroth tail? I'm going insane here, I probably hunted over six Barroths and never got one.

Yeah, I've carved plenty of Barroth tails. If you're struggling to find openings to hit the tail, try dropping a Shock Trap when the Barroth is exhausted. The trap will last longer because he's tired and you'll have a while to get a lot of cut damage in. Barroth is weak to Water when it has mud on and Fire when the mud is off, so keep that in mind.

What weapon are you using? How sharp is it? It's not bouncing off, right?

persongr

Yeah, I've carved plenty of Barroth tails. If you're struggling to find openings to hit the tail, try dropping a Shock Trap when the Barroth is exhausted. The trap will last longer because he's tired and you'll have a while to get a lot of cut damage in. Barroth is weak to Water when it has mud on and Fire when the mud is off, so keep that in mind.

What weapon are you using? How sharp is it? It's not bouncing off, right?

Nah, I'm using Lagombi Scythes for Barroth hunting, and it's an easy hunt. I just can't reach its tail. Thanks for the suggestion, probably gonna try this first.

Holy shit. This game..

Played 36 hours since friday. I don't think I've been this addicted to a game before. Absolutely loving it!

As with many others, this is my first MH. I played the demo a bunch, which seem to have prepared me somewhat for the full game. I've completed all village quests up to the volcano on my first try, and only carted once so far (first time I met Rathian). Next up is Duramboros. I'm still rocking full G. Jaggi armor and I've been using the Pecospander switch axe, which is awesome.

Thank you Gaf for making me give this a go:) So much fun, and I haven't even gone online yet!

Ok so this weekend a friend and I tried to kill Qurupeco and we got our asses kicked for four straight hours. Is this fight tuned for four people or something? We ran out of time a few times and I hate that he calls in mini bosses to kick our asses even more. I hate this guy with a passion is there any tips on killing this douche?

Chuckpebble

What is the secret to the BBQ Spit? I cannot for the life of me get anything except rare or burnt. Like I wait till it changes colors and everything and it still gives rare.

I've mentioned it before. I'll go in depth steak guide, this is what I do every time.
With the double spit, hold R and you'll keep grilling steaks in tandem.
Once you start grilling, rotate your view so that the stakes are pointing away from your hunter, and towards the item menu in the bottom right corner of the screen. This prevents Cha-Cha and team mates from obscuring your delicate work.
Now, stare at the bone!
The bone does a noticeable change from white to brown the moment its ready. You've got about 1/2 second of leeway to hit the A button.

If you make any rare or burnt steaks, either feed them to Cha-Cha or bring them when you're wearing Jaggi armor with the Gourmand or Scavenger skill. You'll get full effects from them still.

Hoodbury

Nah, I'm using Lagombi Scythes for Barroth hunting, and it's an easy hunt. I just can't reach its tail. Thanks for the suggestion, probably gonna try this first.

A good opportunity to hit the tail for Barroth is after his charge. After a charge he always swings it the same direction, to the right. After the swing it re-centers it and it is fairly low when it's doing that.

So to get him to charge, you can't be all up in his grill, he will only charge at you if you are far enough away from him. So back off a bit, get him to charge, as he's charging toward you get to his right side so you don't get hit by the tail swipe and then swing at the tail after it swipes.

ultron87

Thanks for the in depth steak grilling tips guys. I'll be sure to go out and slaughter some more of those peaceful herbivores to practice when I get home.

Killed Qurupeco solo last night and then went online and took down a Barroth. That fight started with two companions but then I got disconnected so I had to finish it solo. It was a very close fight but I was victorious! Both fights had me down to 0 potions and not much heath left so seeing the "Objective Complete" pop up was the best feeling of triumph in a game I've had in quite awhile. And now I have some sick Barroth armor. This game is so good.

King_Moc

Banned
Ok so this weekend a friend and I tried to kill Qurupeco and we got our asses kicked for four straight hours. Is this fight tuned for four people or something? We ran out of time a few times and I hate that he calls in mini bosses to kick our asses even more. I hate this guy with a passion is there any tips on killing this douche?

I think it's tuned for two people. Try to hit him from the front, and when he builds up for his fire jump attacks, try to stay behind him. Try capturing him once he's started limping as he switches area constantly at that point. When he starts limping, let him change area, then trap him in the next area.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's so, so nice to be able to use Shock Traps whenever you feel like now. Feels good man.

Yep, you're right, it's level 2. So not overly bad I guess.

Yeah, if it went back to level 1 that would REALLY suck.

Kill the monsters he calls (Jaggi should be fairly easy), and focus on hitting his red neck and beak.

Prade

Those are Dualies right? My recommendation? Pick up a tail cutting weapon. Dualies are great for constant pressure and DPS, but they just don't have the range. I saw you said you wanted to try Gunlance which wouldn't be bad option.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yes, online, the fights are tuned for more players.

Qurupeco is still a weird fight for me. Sometimes, I wreck shop. Others, I will cart 3 times and fail. A large part of it has to do with your preparation. You NEED to use your dung bombs on whoever he calls. If it's a large monster that says fuck your dung bombs, throw them at Qurupeco to get him to relocate if you can.

Also, never approach him straight on. Always come in at an angle. And learn to dodge a lot. That's the first fight you run into where you NEED to dodge regularly. When he does his fire pounce, you can actually scoot right past him and sort of circle him while he pounces. And do NOT be afraid to retreat and heal/sharpen.

Oh, and when he starts calling/roaring for help/buffs/whatever, make sure you interrupt him or throw a bomb at him (sonic or flash should work). And remember that his head and chest are the weak points. His wings/arms are a bitch and cause bouncing like woah.

Mupod

How do I get Rare commodity? I need some double BBQ

Take down large monsters in free hunting and check the hunt report afterwards.

You can get a two star reward from Royal Ludroth. Check the forecast to see when he's around and then go get him. Free hunt monsters seem to have lower hp than usual, but I'm not 100% on that.

Mupod

I've definitely found some in the tundra, I don't have HR volcano unlocked yet. I can't remember if I've got some off Jhen too.

Hoodbury

Kill the big monsters in free hunt mode. Only offline. Once you do the quest for certain monsters, they then appear in your Moga woods. So for instance to get your double BBQ you need a 1 star rare commodity, killing a Great Jaggi in the Moga Woods will give you that. Once you kill the great Jaggi return to the village and talk to Junior, I mean the Chiefs son and convert your kills to resources.

Any tips for attempting to learn how to use bows? Any good videos out there?

I tried a bow once so far and felt like the worst archer of all time. Aiming seems incredibly difficult.

muu

Bring dung bombs (combine Dung and Bomb Casing) and throw it when a different boss is called. It'll make them leave the area.

Study his patterns. After a series of attacks he stops, this is when you go and bash his head open. A lot of his attacks you can avoid just by moving diagonally towards him. This includes the fast series of fire attacks w/ his claws: go towards him in 45 degrees, once he finishes his series of attacks he's got his back wide open for attack.

What are the best weapons for soloing? I assume it would pretty much come down to skill, but does anything stand out? Easier for novices? Better for more experienced players?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's tuned for 2. Making it very soloable.

Yes, tuned for more players, haha. It's tuned for more than one is what I was implying, sorry.

What are the best weapons for soloing? I assume it would pretty much come down to skill, but does anything stand out? Easier for novices? Better for more experienced players?

GS, Lance, and Hammer come to mind as being some of the best solo weapons. They're also the classic weapons as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, you can solo any monster in the game with any weapon, it just depends on your skill. I think SA and LS are also very viable options solo, but I haven't played around with either enough to get a feel. Personally, I hate GS because of the style of play it requires and how slow it is. Lance, on the other hand, is a blast - it's like playing chess with the monster.

So... MonHun newbie here. I played with some friends for the first time on the Wii U while they were using 3DSes, and I opted to go Bow. I thought I did okay for the few hunts we did (I actually hit a big monster with 2 arrows a couple times!), so I continued using Bow when I went solo on my own 3DS. So far this experience has been rather frustrating; I'm only facing small monsters right now, and all my shots sail over them :( And if I try using the arrow rain, that attack seems to have a very large minimum range, and the DPad to adjust the camera is really sensitive. I think I've killed more of the small monsters with my melee than with my arrows at this point lol.

Speaking of the DPad, where should I put that thing on my touch screen? If I put it on the right, I get to adjust the camera while I move, but then I can't do that while attacking. And if I put it on the left, it becomes harder to adjust the camera while moving but I can at least aim my arrow rain better. I am thinking it is better to have it on the left, but I would like to hear suggestions.

Anyone going solo Bow have any tips or guides that I should try?

As an alternative, I've been thinking about using the Dual Slicers or the Hunting Horn. Dual Slicers seem kind of fun and don't rely on charging, while Hunting Horns are useful for support (which I am probably going to do a lot of, and I do like the idea of being able to heal allies).

Correct. You will get the famed 'triple charge' attack if you release it right when the blue light flashes. If you hold it too long and it auto finishes, you are back down to a charge 2 level.

Yes. Once you see the blueish purple color, let go and watch the massacre. You'll know you did it right when you hear a "PING" sound.

Thanks guys; thought so.
---------------
Just kicked Lagi's backside. Not the most dangerous monster I've come across thus far.

Proven

Yes, online, the fights are tuned for more players.

Qurupeco is still a weird fight for me. Sometimes, I wreck shop. Others, I will cart 3 times and fail. A large part of it has to do with your preparation. You NEED to use your dung bombs on whoever he calls. If it's a large monster that says fuck your dung bombs, throw them at Qurupeco to get him to relocate if you can.

Also, never approach him straight on. Always come in at an angle. And learn to dodge a lot. That's the first fight you run into where you NEED to dodge regularly. When he does his fire pounce, you can actually scoot right past him and sort of circle him while he pounces. And do NOT be afraid to retreat and heal/sharpen.

Oh, and when he starts calling/roaring for help/buffs/whatever, make sure you interrupt him or throw a bomb at him (sonic or flash should work). And remember that his head and chest are the weak points. His wings/arms are a bitch and cause bouncing like woah.

Don't face him head on is a fallacy. If he's charging right at you, you can roll forward right between his legs. My favorite way to dance around him. Sticking too close and at angles makes him tail whip too often, and he has a pretty large swing with it.

Hitting at an angle does help with getting flintstones to a degree.

Interrupting his buffs is the best thing, as it gives you a random buff and prevents him from adding to his health or stamina. The only issue is that you must be using a weapon with enough spike damage to quickly cause a flinch (charged rapid bow arrows, a super pound from Hammer/Horn, full bar combo with DS/LS, etc.). If you can't make him flinch often enough, bring sonic bombs, or else the fight will be take longer. The buffs he applies to himself apply to every monster in a certain radius too, so he can call a dragon on your ass and then give it enough stamina to run you into the ground.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Don't face him head on is a fallacy. If he's charging right at you, you can roll forward right between his legs. My favorite way to dance around him. Sticking too close and at angles makes him tail whip too often, and he has a pretty large swing with it.

Hitting at an angle does help with getting flintstones to a degree.

Interrupting his buffs is the best thing, as it gives you a random buff and prevents him from adding to his health or stamina. The only issue is that you must be using a weapon with enough spike damage to quickly cause a flinch (charged rapid bow arrows, a super pound from Hammer/Horn, full bar combo with DS/LS, etc.). If you can't make him flinch often enough, bring sonic bombs, or else the fight will be take longer. The buffs he applies to himself apply to every monster in a certain radius too, so he can call a dragon on your ass and then give it enough stamina to run you into the ground.

As a Lancer, I didn't know this. I block his head on advancements typically. This is good info if you can react quickly.

Mupod

SnS is mechanically the best for new players since it allows you to safely learn a monster. You don't need to commit to attacks very much and you can block if you have to. Can use items while unsheathed too. The problem is the weapon shines when exploiting status/elemental and that's not something completely intuitive if you don't have a monster weakness FAQ handy.

Lance can be quite newbie friendly if you can wrap your head around the movement.

Greatsword probably rewards total mastery of a monster more than any other weapon. In itself it's not hard to use, but being able to snipe weak spots with level 3 charges consistently takes a lot of practice.

You need to do quite a bit of research before even picking up a bowgun if you want to be effective. Especially HBG.

But in the end it's mostly personal preference, and specific to the monster. Some weapons are just plain much easier to use on certain enemies. Try everything, and consider learning more than one. Once you know the monsters, learning new weapons isn't hard.

Thanks for the tips. Thing is he never just calls in Jaggis. He like to call in a bear looking guy that really goes to town in us while we try to kill Qurupeco. In 5 attempts at qurupeco he summoned the bear guy 3 times and twice he summoned what looked like to be a dragon. We got romped by the dragon twice in about ten minutes of him being summoned.

Hoodbury

If you have to fight Peco before you get a green sharpness weapon, try using either the hammer or great sword. The hammer has the super pound skill that will not bounce, and the same with the great sword charge attack.

It seems like most people are having issues with Peco because their attacks are bouncing so they aren't able to do their normal attack combo's. With the hammer and the GS, you can just spam those 2 attacks that won't bounce. (I'm not sure if other weapon types have those types of attacks)

Thanks for the tips. Thing is he never just calls in Jaggis. He like to call in a bear looking guy that really goes to town in us while we try to kill Qurupeco. In 5 attempts at qurupeco he summoned the bear guy 3 times and twice he summoned what looked like to be a dragon. We got romped by the dragon twice in about ten minutes of him being summoned.
The bear looking guy is actually really easy to kill, so you would probably have more success if you dung bombed Peco and just killed the bear off. He dies very fast. When the "dragon" comes, you'll want to dung bomb it or peco so you can just fight peco alone.

Just think, in about 2-3 days from now, I guarantee you will be coming back to this thread and laughing at how easy Peco is.

Proven

As others have said, free hunt in the Moga village. Quru (I think) and R. Ludroth give 2-star rare commodities, the next monster that shows up gives 3-star, and the one after that gives 4-star. You up your chances of getting one tremendously if you capture them rather than just kill them.

Edit:

I found this too funny to not comment on. The dragon's name is Rathian. They're always female, and they're there because you're stealing their name.

The bear is supposed to be a bit harder than Great Jaggi, but I find him to be about the same difficulty. Just watch his moves for a while.

Also, if it's four of you, you very much have the option of killing the bear for extra money.

King_Moc

Banned

Assuming the bear is Azuros, then that shouldn't be a huge problem. Just throw a dung bomb at him (assuming you have any). If it's Rathian (The Dragon) try the same, not sure it works on her, but if not, dumg bomb Quropeco and escape. Or just escape. Quropeco changes area a lot, so as long as you have it paintballed it should move somewhere else quickly.

muu

That being said, you can solo any monster in the game with any weapon, it just depends on your skill. I think SA and LS are also very viable options solo, but I haven't played around with either enough to get a feel. Personally, I hate GS because of the style of play it requires and how slow it is. Lance, on the other hand, is a blast - it's like playing chess with the monster.

my jaws dropped watching this guy wreck Brachy with a hunting horn in under 10 mins. It's certainly ultimately all about skill.

If you have to fight Peco before you get a green sharpness weapon, try using either the hammer or great sword. The hammer has the super pound skill that will not bounce, and the same with the great sword charge attack.

It seems like most people are having issues with Peco because their attacks are bouncing so they aren't able to do their normal attack combo's. With the hammer and the GS, you can just spam those 2 attacks that won't bounce. (I'm not sure if other weapon types have those types of attacks)

The bear looking guy is actually really easy to kill, so you would probably have more success if you dung bombed Peco and just killed the bear off. He dies very fast. When the "dragon" comes, you'll want to dung bomb it or peco so you can just fight peco alone.

Just think, in about 2-3 days from now, I guarantee you will be coming back to this thread and laughing at how easy Peco is.

As others have said, free hunt in the Moga village. Quru (I think) and R. Ludroth give 2-star rare commodities, the next monster that shows up gives 3-star, and the one after that gives 4-star. You up your chances of getting one tremendously if you capture them rather than just kill them.

Edit:

I found this too funny to not comment on. The dragon's name is Rathian. They're always female, and they're there because you're stealing their name.

The bear is supposed to be a bit harder than Great Jaggi, but I find him to be about the same difficulty. Just watch his moves for a while.

Also, if it's four of you, you very much have the option of killing the bear for extra money.

Assuming the bear is Azuros, then that shouldn't be a huge problem. Just throw a dung bomb at him (assuming you have any). If it's Rathian (The Dragon) try the same, not sure it works on her, but if not, dumg bomb Quropeco and escape. Or just escape. Quropeco changes area a lot, so as long as you have it paintballed it should move somewhere else quickly.

Thanks you guys are all awesome! My buddy and I this weekend are going to attempt to kill this fucker.

I guess the dragon should be pissed that I stole its name lol.

Mupod

Hmm, I've never seen anyone dungbomb little minion monsters before. lol.

can't watch it here but if they're bullfango or rhenoplos I completely understand. I'd rather have a great jaggi or arzuros in the area than any of those.

although it's probably just because it's a speed run. Why waste time and sharpness?

http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html - working for me now. Slow, but works

Not to be a dick, can you do mine please, this isnt working for me at all.

haul 1

6x whetfish
2x shining starfish
1x shining starfish
2x sushifish
5x popfish

haul 2

2x sleepyfish
2x shining
1x shining
5x pop
1x shining
1x shining
2x shining

haul 3:

3 sushifish
4 whetfish
2 pin tuna
1 shining
2 sushi
2 sleepy
1 shining

haul 4:
1x shining
2x sleepy
2x pin tuna
6x whet
2x sushi
2x sleepy
1x shining

haul 5:
4x pop
2x shining
4x whet
1x shining
1x shining
1x shining

Hoodbury

can't watch it here but if they're bullfango or rhenoplos I completely understand. I'd rather have a great jaggi or arzuros in the area than any of those.

although it's probably just because it's a speed run. Why waste time and sharpness?

It was Uroktors which can mess things up if they tunnel up right where you are, especially for a GS user charging up. So ya, I guess it does make sense, I've just never seen anyone do it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom