• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Whoa, what was it like before? Water only or something?

You couldn't farm Thunderbugs. Just randomly gather them (and I remember getting fewer before), trade with the Argosy, and online sandstorm sales.

On the other hand, it was easy to get nets and spiderwebs. While I feel like I have infinite Shock traps now, I sorely miss having infinite Pitfalls. Why can't we have both?

Edit:
my jaws dropped watching this guy wreck Brachy with a hunting horn in under 10 mins. It's certainly ultimately all about skill.

This video rocks. It reminds me of the solo Small BG Ala video I watched last week. Spoilers for the new guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3rro1650A

I kind of liked the HR lvling in Tri more. Sure, it was a bit of a grind but I feel like you lvl up to fast now. I'm already at the high rank quests after only a couple of hours and haven't even crafted a single complete armor set... I feel that at this rate the low lvl armors aren't even worth going after for.

Wha wha what??? That's weird. Time to update the OP then I guess.

Yep
uyf6IVh.jpg
Are the servers even up yet? I'm still not able to connect.

They are for me (NA)

Hoodbury

I kind of liked the HR lvling in Tri more. Sure, it was a bit of a grind but I feel like you lvl up to fast now. I'm already at the high rank quests after only a couple of hours and haven't even crafted a single complete armor set... I feel that at this rate the low lvl armors aren't even worth going after for.

Ya, it's kinda weird to me too. It does go back to the old way though once you get into the G-rank. So then you level up HR just by questing and it goes up to 999 again.

Proven

As soon as I finish up a few more quests in either Moga or the Tavern, I'm going to be at high rank having only made a Chainmail set for my Bows, a Bone set for my Hunting Horn, and an Alloy set for my LS that I never used.

Raide

First time Monster Hunter player here.
Got it on 3DS. Any tips for a total noobie?

Gets Nets and Pickaxes. Mine and collect everything you see! Skin the world!

You will need to grind various monsters to get enough items for a full armor/weapon set.

You have all the starter weapons in your hut, so try them all and see which one suits you and go from there. :D

Abandond

I really really dislike this capture quest. He didnt even limp once and died.

Also holy shit killing with switch axe is soo much faster than bow (at killing). Bow is more fun though.

Lenardo

Banned
I'M slowly working on doing the quests/solo play currently.

i just unlocked the 1 star quests- after my son, when i was away from the game helping my other son reinstall minecraft- just ended the game and then started playing COD on me.

i got knocked back to the fish spear chief quest.

i have yet to upgrade my weapons- currently using dual blades.

NNID is Lenardo for whenever i get online.

my Son- who is the one that shut off my game- is doing 3 Star quests so far.

the boy goes hunting with no slots avail, no potions, no herbs,

and wins-i think he is currently using dual blades as well but i know from tri he liked the hammer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
First time Monster Hunter player here.
Got it on 3DS. Any tips for a total noobie?

One thing to remember is that the game is animation based combat. You will get discouraged because you will hit walls and you will fail missions. Stick with it.

I was checking the official guide and I have to farm Pawprint and Bnahabra Spine. Oh man. Para weapons are always a pain in the ass. INB4LANTERN+

Mondriaan

The portable games were all about bum rushing through every key quest and urgent and grinding forever on 2% drops to make the endgame equipment sets. All armor is basically about looks once you're at endgame grinding anyway.

Hoodbury

I really really dislike this capture quest. He didnt even limp once and died.

Also holy shit killing with switch axe is soo much faster than bow (at killing). Bow is more fun though.

You never said which monster... Guessing you're talking about the bear though right?

blackflag

Ok purple ludroth was a pushover just with a lot of health. Fun fight though since he doesn't go in the water.

Pink Rathian is awesome. Love the new moves. I ended up failing because I was in a hurry to go to work and I kept pushing it. Does she have a ton of health too? Wouldn't have had a problem after the first death if I had the time to be more patient.

kubus

I have the game on Wii U, and I'm considering buying the 3DS version as well for on-the-go play. I got a question though: would my boyfriend be able to start a save file on the 3DS, and play multiplayer with me on the Wii U - while keeping my transferred save file in tact? I heard some conflicting things about this (something about hardlocking the 3DS game if you transferred to Wii U and vice versa?). I'd like to make sure before I double dip.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate made 7th in the UK charts! :D This makes me so happy!

So generally speaking how long am I looking at to take one weapon down a full upgrade path?

Depends on what you want. You may very well upgrade your lowly bone/metal weapon to an elemental weapon or have enough materials to make a weapon negating the need upgrade from a starter weapon. Then you will start having a weapon's case full of weapons with different status and elemental properties tailored for whatever monster you are going to face on your next hunt.

Proven

The portable games were all about bum rushing through every key quest and urgent and grinding forever on 2% drops to make the endgame equipment sets. All armor is basically about looks once you're at endgame grinding anyway.

That sounds boring. You have so many monsters in this game, and you barely have to spend any time with them until you hit an artificial wall made by percentage chance.

Then again, Japan has what? Double the Monster Hunter games we have? A lot of these monsters are probably boring for them already.

I still think I'd prefer HR grinding to some degree though. Just tone it down a bit from what it was in Tri.

Kuntz

Looks like the reason why I couldn't find network mode yesterday was because I couldn't access eshop and couldn't download the latest update.

Now network mode is shown, let's try it !

... You have been disconnected.

hell yeah !

Hoodbury

So I was looking at the upgrade path of my Ratholos firesword in-game and I can upgrade it to the Dios Blade which uses basic Brachi parts but no Brachi gem. Or I can forge the Dios Blade from scratch but it requires a Brachi gem. Brachi gems are pretty rare I believe so seems like a pretty good deal to me to just upgrade my Ratholos firesword.

I was super hesitant on facing Barroth until I realized that I've taken him down many times. I try to treat every Monster Hunter as my first so I don't get cocky and fuck up, that helps especially when I fight new monsters. Now I'm at Gobul, the bane of my existence in Tri. It took me forever to take him down but I know if I want some para weapons I'll have to farm him.

Proven

Depends on what you want. You may very well upgrade your lowly bone/metal weapon to an elemental weapon or have enough materials to make a weapon negating the need upgrade from a starter weapon. Then you will start having a weapon's case full of weapons with different status and elemental properties tailored for whatever monster you are going to face on your next hunt.

Which reminds me of another pet peeve. Both in multiplayer and offline, I have to go to another screen just to change my armor/weapons. They could have done something about that by now.

The only thing I've noticed is that they always want you to do the changes while in your own instance. Still, maybe they can fix this for MH4.

Mupod

As soon as I finish up a few more quests in either Moga or the Tavern, I'm going to be at high rank having only made a Chainmail set for my Bows, a Bone set for my Hunting Horn, and an Alloy set for my LS that I never used.

I decided to slow things down and take my time in HR. I bet I could clear to g-rank still using low rank Volvidon, but I think I'll pick up bowguns again and such. I'm stuck offline for a week starting today so I'll clear the village stuff and save g-rank for online.

it's so much easier being able to pop online and just join a farming team when I need an item but I do enjoy soloing. I was pretty good at Jhen in Tri and P3rd but man I am just the master of him now, hah. I'm gonna be a superhero of dragonating, gongs and ballista binders when I finally fight him online again. Until I fight the purple one and need to relearn it.

So I was looking at the upgrade path of my Ratholos firesword in-game and I can upgrade it to the Dios Blade which uses basic Brachi parts but no Brachi gem. Or I can forge the Dios Blade from scratch but it requires a Brachi gem. Brachi gems are pretty rare I believe so seems like a pretty good deal to me to just upgrade my Ratholos firesword.

The upgrade for Dios Blade requires a Brachy gem. I say stick with the Rathalos GS and just make the Brachy GS from scratch. You'll get a gem eventually.

Dragoshi1

Well, my brother and I(him on Wii U, me on 3DS) took on the HR1 urgent Lagiacrus.

I had full Piscine armor, with Jaggi armor for the chest and arms, and using the War Hammer.

My Brother had full Renoplos armor with some Lance with green sharpness.

I went in confident, and we dominated the Lagi! I only died once after I was hit by a Spiral(aimed at my brother), only for the Lagi to quickly transition into an electrified hip-check.

My brother was one-shotted by Lagi's stronger underwater electric release/explosion/shock/thingy(when it roars in place while giving off electricity).

So I am now HR2, but we have to go again for him to be HR2 too.

Grinding Lagi back during Tri all came back to me, it's like I never left.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have the game on Wii U, and I'm considering buying the 3DS version as well for on-the-go play. I got a question though: would my boyfriend be able to start a save file on the 3DS, and play multiplayer with me on the Wii U - while keeping my transferred save file in tact? I heard some conflicting things about this (something about hardlocking the 3DS game if you transferred to Wii U and vice versa?). I'd like to make sure before I double dip.

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate made 7th in the UK charts! :D This makes me so happy!

Additional local players on Wii U will need to play on their 3DS using their own copy of the game, so he wouldn't be able to transfer I don't think.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bioshock Infinite is out today and I can't even care when I have monsters to kill.

God damn this game. I'm hovering over the Zombi U Wii U deluxe bundle now to upgrade from my 3DS version...to spend all that dough for this one game...frak!

Unicorn

IMO, bows are a magnitude better. Do you like moving out of the way of things?
Bowguns have a bit more "versatility", but so far as I know that's really what they have going for them. With bowguns you swap ammo to swap elements, whereas bows it's tied to the weapon. But bowguns are slow, have to reload, are slow, and typically are slow.
Bows however are nice and fast, only have to worry about hitting a few number of actual shots, and aren't as expensive to maintain if you prefer to have just one. But a bowgun without ammo is like carrying a stick.
Thanks. I've typically ran hammer, GS, switchaxe, and a bit of gun lance, but I'm really looking to branch out now and so many bows look amazing, plus a new play style will really breathe life into a lot of these encounters that I'm alrrwdy well versed in from previous entries.

Xater

Bioshock Infinite is out today and I can't even care when I have monsters to kill.

God damn this game. I'm hovering over the Zombi U Wii U deluxe bundle now to upgrade from my 3DS version...to spend all that dough for this one game...frak!

I only bought a WiiU because of this game and it was totally worth it.

Mupod

Additional local players on Wii U will need to play on their 3DS using their own copy of the game, so he wouldn't be able to transfer I don't think.

We were talking about this a while back but I'm not sure what came of it. Can you have multiple 3DS saves if you use a different Mii or whatever?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Signing on in a few minutes to do some HR1 and HR2 quest. I'm saving my High Rank quest for co-op with my wife, or I'd be playing non-stop right now.

Doorman

Gotta love the return of the classic "monster hunter moments." A friend and I were hunting Rathalos online yesterday and we both wanted to get his tail out of the picture early. Him with a greatsword and I with a switch axe closed in on 'Los after an attack and started to land a few attacks on his tail. Somehow it got timed that we both did upswing attacks at the exact same time and hit each other through the tail. Simultaneously sent each other flying away, so much laughter was had.

Worth it, though; in the end I walked away with a nice new Red Rook gunlance, it just might be my new main weapon until I can upgrade some of my hunting horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom