• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Brady guide is an excellent resource for drops and numbers, but don't mistake it for any sort of good looking artwork. I hope my local import shop gets the MH3G illustration books. I was able to pick up the last few MonHan illustration books from there for a decent price.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
*paging through guide*

There's a PURPLE sharpness? I was surprised there was white last week, lol.

The Brady guide is an excellent resource for drops and numbers, but don't mistake it for any sort of good looking artwork. I hope my local import shop gets the MH3G illustration books. I was able to pick up the last few MonHan illustration books from there for a decent price.

I mean, pics of equipment and stuff. It doesn't have them?

Mondriaan

That sounds boring. You have so many monsters in this game, and you barely have to spend any time with them until you hit an artificial wall made by percentage chance.

Then again, Japan has what? Double the Monster Hunter games we have? A lot of these monsters are probably boring for them already.

I still think I'd prefer HR grinding to some degree though. Just tone it down a bit from what it was in Tri.

No one is stopping you from staying at a lower hunter rank and grinding the same boss repeatedly (which you might do for money purposes), though. The required HR grinding (like in Tri) only stops other people from playing the game the way they want to play it.

Secondary note, would it actually be possible to have two people with two seperate accounts on the systems? Like, I use the Wii U version, GF uses the 3DS version, us both able to local multi with each other, and then switch back and forth as needed/wanted? If so that might justify the cost a lot better.
EDIT: Obviously with our own saves persistent across the two.
Yes, but to our surprise you have to do it a bit differently.

The transfer tool does one big dumb transfer of your entire save file. This would mean if you want to swap you would end up saving over the others character.

The solution to this is to make two separate Wii U profiles and switch profiles every time you want to do a transfer or play as that character. It's a little obnoxious but doesn't take that long.

My wife and I both started on Wii U and were really bumming as we thought one of us would have to restart on a new profile. Luckily you are able to copy it down to a 3DS, create a new Wii U profile, then copy it back up.

Xater

Just bought this after realizing that MH Wiki is really quite inadequate. So hard to tell if something is for one of the earlier games, or if it's what you're looking for it's in Japanese, and there's few pics, etc.

Sunk $115+ into this game (before tax) so far. :( WORTH IT

So what is your impression of the guide so far? is it good? Can you also tell me the file size of the pdf?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So what is your impression of the guide so far? is it good? Can you also tell me the file size of the pdf?

51.8 MB. Still going through it but it's good for beginners so far (explaining some of the more obtuse early mechanics and such.) I'm finding out a lot from the Talisman/Decoration section already. Good stuff so far.

Mupod

The guide has a lot of good information but I question its accuracy regarding droprates. Like it doesn't list elder dragon blood as dropping from Ceadeus but I've been told he can drop it.

It's got armor sets, monster damage zones, and gathering spots among other things which is the important stuff. So it's worth it for that.

I don't like that it doesn't give hard numbers about weapon damage values, it just rates things by 'stars'. Although iirc the gigantic original Japanese guide didn't have the real values either. Just something I'm curious about since I want to know what exactly has been changed since P3rd.

It's also pretty annoying to find exact information you want since there's so much stuff. I cannot for the life of me understand how the hell it's organizing armor sets. They seem to be listed in random order. And the weapon list doesn't show upgrades, I don't understand why they wouldn't present it in a tree format like every other online guide has.

bitoriginal

Yes, but to our surprise you have to do it a bit differently.

The transfer tool does one big dumb transfer of your entire save file. This would mean if you want to swap you would end up saving over the others character.

The solution to this is to make two separate Wii U profiles and switch profiles every time you want to do a transfer or play as that character. It's a little obnoxious but doesn't take that long.

My wife and I both started on Wii U and were really bumming as we thought one of us would have to restart on a new profile. Luckily you are able to copy it down to a 3DS, create a new Wii U profile, then copy it back up.

Requoting for new page. Excellent little tip for those with the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game and want multiple saves.

Hoodbury

The guide has a lot of good information but I question its accuracy regarding droprates. Like it doesn't list elder dragon blood as dropping from Ceadeus but I've been told he can drop it.

It's got armor sets, monster damage zones, and gathering spots among other things which is the important stuff. So it's worth it for that.

I don't like that it doesn't give hard numbers about weapon damage values, it just rates things by 'stars'. Although iirc the gigantic original Japanese guide didn't have the real values either. Just something I'm curious about since I want to know what exactly has been changed since P3rd.

It's also pretty annoying to find exact information you want since there's so much stuff. I cannot for the life of me understand how the hell it's organizing armor sets. They seem to be listed in random order. And the weapon list doesn't show upgrades, I don't understand why they wouldn't present it in a tree format like every other online guide has.

The item combo list is weird too, it doesn't seem to be in any specific order. Alpha order would have been nice.

Unicorn

Tell me I'm ot the one one who thinks the farm is GOD-AWFUL now.

Portable 3rd had the best farm and kitchen. Much more efficient. Now I'm constantly held back because of the slow ass production of my farm.

Mondriaan

Portable 3rd had the best farm and kitchen. Much more efficient. Now I'm constantly held back because of the slow ass production of my farm.

Was there a kitchen? IIRC you could have the cats cook your meat for a small fee, but you got your buffs from the bathhouse. The bathhouse was so awesome, though.

Mupod

I was always really confused why the farm/kitchen in Tri was such a step back from MHFU. No bug tree, no bomb mining, no cat slaves grilling your steaks, and most importantly no super awesome cooking cutscene!?

It's cool that you can focus your production on one specific thing though.

Prade

I have this bookmarked. Seems like a accurate enough.

Mondriaan

I was always really confused why the farm/kitchen in Tri was such a step back from MHFU. No bug tree, no bomb mining, no cat slaves grilling your steaks, and most importantly no super awesome cooking cutscene!?

Tri was designed to cut the "fat", so to speak, so I guess the farm mini-games were just one of many things that didn't make the cut.

LTWheels

The battery life of the gamepad and the 3ds are so god dame frustrating. I don't know how they could have possible released the Wii U with such a poor battery in the controller. Seriously contemplating getting the pro controller. But it's another expense I don't want to spend.

Busaiku

So I'm not completely understanding Skills/Decorations, I think.

I got the Wroggi set, and put in a bunch of the Attack Jewels.
But then I saw that the skill was Sharpener, so now I've got 5 Grinder Jewels in there.

Am I understanding it right?

fr4nz

I'm in the same boat ... I largely prefer the "classic" farm : the one in Unite or 3rd ...
It was kind of relaxing to go to the farm between each quest.

I hope this is the one we'll get in MH4

Unicorn

Focusing production is so dumb apart from bugs. I could choose my crops for plants and being able to do everything in a one stop shop was how it should be. Now my farm is mostly sitting idle. Makes no sense.

Not to mention the grind for well done steaks now. They took out all the time saving features. Major step back in that regard.

Mupod

But then I saw that the skill was Sharpener, so now I've got 5 Grinder Jewels in there.

Uh...no. You need 10 points in a skill to get that skill, you can see your equipped skill points from your status page. If you get a full set you'll usually get 3-4 positive skills and one negative - you can then either mix and match to get rid of the negative or use a decoration to cancel it out by bringing it up to -9.

You can also check the individual skill points on each armor piece. If you've already got 10 points in a skill from armor you don't need to get gems toward that skill, UNLESS it's one of the multi-level skills like Critical Eye. That one has extra levels at 15 and 20, attack up is similar. At 10 you get attack up small, 15 gives medium, 20 gives large.

Grinder jewels add 2 to fast sharpening each I believe. So if you have 5 open slots in any armor you can just slap that on. Only the weaker/specialized skills tend to give 2 points per gem, but fast sharpen is one of the most useful of those.

Hoodbury

I'm not really following what you did, but you need 10 skill points of a specific skill in order for that skill to become active.

Your post of you putting in attack jewels but then you have 5 grinder jewels doesn't make sense to me.

With the froggi set, you won't be able to gem in the skill Attack up (S) unless you have a pretty decent Attack tali to go along with it.

Salaadin

denshuu

Did weapon trees change from MH3Tri to MH3U?

I want to work towards a High Sieglinde (P) but, according to the wiki, that GS doesnt exist in MH3U...theres just a regular High Sieglinde. Not only that, but it looks like the path is different.
Bone path:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Great_Sword_Tree
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Great_Sword_Weapon_Tree

I just need to know which to follow. Is the MH3U wiki still incomplete since the game is only a week old?

Yeah, the weapon trees are new.

They're all here: http://imgur.com/a/XPaVU#10

Mupod

Are the stats that the imgur site lists for the Zurogong Tertio hunting horn accurate? Because that's a hell of a lot better than the crap horn I'm using. I can probably make it with on hand materials too.

Prade

Did weapon trees change from MH3Tri to MH3U?

I want to work towards a High Sieglinde (P) but, according to the wiki, that GS doesnt exist in MH3U...theres just a regular High Sieglinde. Not only that, but it looks like the path is different.
Bone path:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Great_Sword_Tree
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Great_Sword_Weapon_Tree

I just need to know which to follow. Is the MH3U wiki still incomplete since the game is only a week old?

From what it looks like, that line still looks like a solid one to go for since you can make it from Ian parts and it does really good raw throughout the ranks. I'd probably use that until I can make the Dios line of GS's.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally got the charm table to go through (took about 30 minutes of trying). I'm either 8 or 10, and I tried my damnedest for 10...So I'm nearly positive that's the one I got. Excellent!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to see what charm table I have with the website, it's been loading for 10 min already >.<

I put my stuff in and ignored it. It eventually just went through. I wish I knew the theory behind the table, because I'd make up an Excel sheet or something for those having zero luck.

However elemental damage can really add up especially with certain shot types. Remember that weapons don't do their full raw damage with every hit - the HH for example is lucky to do around 40% with a single hit. Which is reduced further by the defense of that part. So that 4 additional damage would be better than you think, especially if you hit many many times like bows do. I'm not familiar with post-MHFU bows but they were always very elemental dependent back then.
I downloaded a bow damage calculator for MHFU and ran it through some scenarios (shouldn't be too drastically different). From the different scenarios I plugged in it didn&#8217;t look like element added much. For example my Queen Blaster 1 at 180 raw does more damage to Rathian than the Arko Nulo (Y) at 132 raw & 300 thunder. That doesn't seem right but if elemental damage is really divided by 10 then it would make sense.

Numbers aside, the bigger issue I find with bows is there is so much more to the equation to consider than for Blademaster weapons. The level and type of shot a bow has on it&#8217;s level 3 charge is more important than stats. The type of arrow rain and available coatings are very important as well. All things considered picking the right bow isn&#8217;t as straightforward as grabbing your highest elemental weapon.
1. Different shot types for different monsters. Spread is nice for large monsters. Pierce for long monsters, and rapid for everything else. Higher level shot typically goes like...you will do more damage but you must hit every shot to see that damage boost. It's usually best to fully charge anyways.

2. Arrow rain knocks allies away so it's not advisable to spam online.
Well I didn't really mean types of shots, more like the level of shots. I&#8217;m good enough with the bow now that just about every shot I fire hits with all the arrows, so when a bow only has Spread LV2 instead of LV3 it&#8217;s a big damage decrease. It's kind of frustrating as I look at the list of craftable bows, see a bow with awesome stats, rain and coating, only for it to have a LV1 or 2 shot at charge 3. I've been using the Queens Blaster bow for a while now because nothing else seems to compare.

I don&#8217;t agree with your #2, which is why I don&#8217;t play online. It ruins my fun playing with people who get upset when they get hit by other players. I&#8217;m careful and getting better by the day but accidents will always happen. When they do with friends it&#8217;s something we laugh about rather than getting pissed off or annoyed about. Arrow Rain has too many benefits to shun it when playing online.
Any guide on the bow would be awesome. I'm interesting in trying them out more. So far I've been using S&S and hammers, but I'd like to hop online and would like to be able to play ranged as well.

I tried a bow once so far and couldn't figure out how to aim properly at anything. I felt so bumbling and awful that I immediately switched back to melee. Out of the ranged weapons, bows seem like the coolest to me, so I'm interested in any pointers.
I've already started to put something together, I&#8217;ll make a nice detailed guide post when I&#8217;m finished. I'm by no means an expert at this but I have learned a lot since I started.

Thanks. I've typically ran hammer, GS, switchaxe, and a bit of gun lance, but I'm really looking to branch out now and so many bows look amazing, plus a new play style will really breathe life into a lot of these encounters that I'm alrrwdy well versed in from previous entries.
It&#8217;s exactly what I did. I used LS exclusively in Tri and so in 3U I didn't want to experience all the same content the exact same way again. I switched to Bow and it&#8217;s been so much fun to learn and use.

Abandond

You never said which monster... Guessing you're talking about the bear though right?
Nope! Did him perfectly first try. It was the G Jaggi, but I got him this time. Made him limp twice and then he fell asleep, put down a pitfall trap and threw a tranq bomb.

So, bow question, is the Y + X combo always the arrow rain/bomb attack?

Proven

No one is stopping you from staying at a lower hunter rank and grinding the same boss repeatedly (which you might do for money purposes), though. The required HR grinding (like in Tri) only stops other people from playing the game the way they want to play it.

True, but you can't say it doesn't effect general player behavior. It means I'll have better times playing with friends rather than playing with randoms, and I had good memories in Tri from playing with randoms.

Proven

Do the new DLC quests replace the old ones? Trying to decide if I should download anything today or wait until the next time I'm with friends.

OMG, I was finishing some village quests, got my first rustshard and it was for the greatsword (which is the only weapon class I use). Holy crap I lucked out.

Got to play this a ton at PAX with some people, but I haven't been able to take my game online yet, and I won't be able to for a few more days, I'd expect. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom