• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondriaan

True, but you can't say it doesn't effect general player behavior. It means I'll have better times playing with friends rather than playing with randoms, and I had good memories in Tri from playing with randoms.

You can find randoms that will want to grind a boss for armor sets. My personal experience with Tri's HRP system is that it just makes helping other people rank up significantly more tedious when it's a matter of accruing sterile HR points.

At least armor sets and weapons have personality.

Xater

Are Cool and Hot Drinks affected by Item Use Down? If so, how are they affected?

I put Sharpener in my Jaggi S set and I am trying to find out if I should try to get rid of the negative effect instead.

Chaos

Just got full jaggi set and a Ludroth Bone Maul, I can see myself spending ages playing this game, its fun pimping yourself out in new gear :)

Proven

You can find randoms that will want to grind a boss for armor sets. My personal experience with Tri's HRP system is that it just makes helping other people rank up significantly more tedious when it's a matter of accruing sterile HR points.

At least armor sets and weapons have personality.

I guess I got lucky. The feeling I got whenever I went online with people is that "we're all stuck here together, so rather than trying to be efficient let's just grab whatever monster parts we feel like on a whim." Alternating between different monsters while gathering the parts for multiple pieces of weapons and armors for you to experiment with made it more fun.

Now I have to make a custom party for that, as most people who quickly get things efficiently will usually want to continue doing things efficiently. My worry is that I'll end up running into that sterile feeling more often.

I'm trying the Hunting Horn for the first time, how many songs can I play? So far I only know two and they are very simple, I'm using the Lagia Horn.
Also, how does time flow?

So, 3 things for my GAF friends -

1. Thanks for getting me to try this game. It's my first MH game and I'm loving it.

2. How do I capture a monster? I'm at the first mission where you capture one (2 star quest ) and I hit him until he's looking like he might die. Then I lay a shock trap, he walks into it, and I throw tranqs at him. Nothing happens.

3. Once I'm done with all the offline quests, are all the online quests multiplayer only? Can I complete them alone (I know nobody online lol)

2. How do I capture a monster? I'm at the first mission where you capture one (2 star quest ) and I hit him until he's looking like he might die. Then I lay a shock trap, he walks into it, and I throw tranqs at him. Nothing happens.

You can only see whether the monster is ready to capture when it leaves the map (Or through skills later in the game). It has to limp and breathe heavily when that happens.

3. Once I'm done with all the offline quests, are all the online quests multiplayer only? Can I complete them alone (I know nobody online lol)

You can play everything alone, the online hub is available in singleplayer.

Right now it takes me about 3 minutes to capture an arzuros (from supply box to capture), so I've spent time just making about 2k zenni per capture. Only large monsters i've taken down is g.jaggi, peco, arzuros and g.wroggi. Too scared to take on R.ludroth. :(

Hoodbury

2. Sounds like the monster was just hungry or tired, which is different from weak/limping. Make sure they limp to a new zone and then follow them to the new zone and put the trap there.

3. You know all of us, feel free to play in any GAF room that is labeled for your HR range. Every one I've played with so far from GAF has been really nice and friendly.

Haunted

Right now it takes me about 3 minutes to capture an arzuros (from supply box to capture), so I've spent time just making about 2k zenni per capture. Only large monsters i've taken down is g.jaggi, peco, arzuros and g.wroggi. Too scared to take on R.ludroth. :(
If you can fuck up an Arzuros in 3 minutes, you will have absolutely no problem with Ludroth.

Go for it! The game only gets larger and more expansive as you move forward. :D

Hoodbury

Royal Ludroth is a fun fight, he's the first big monster you get to cut the tail off of.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I love the High Rank Arzuros quest. Finally he didn't die in ten hits, and there are two of them teaming up on you. One of my favourite 'new' monsters.

Royal Ludroth shouldn't be too tough of a fight, especially if you can keep him on land. His roll will take off a lot of your health, but you can actually roll under it if you have the timing down and otherwise, he's not too bad.

dubq

Do you guys normally wait to get your current weapon up to 100 before you switch to a new style? I'm thinking I might want to switch to Bows to try out ranged combat.. but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to seeing a weapon class all the way through to max..

Hoodbury

Do you guys normally wait to get your current weapon up to 100 before you switch to a new style? I'm thinking I might want to switch to Bows to try out ranged combat.. but I'm wondering if there is a benefit to seeing a weapon class all the way through to max..

I'm not following. What do you mean weapon up to 100? 100 what?

panda21

I wanted to try multiplayer tonight but I guess its down? how do you get to it usually? do you go to Neko and choose Network mode, or multiplayer mode??

dubq

I wanted to try multiplayer tonight but I guess its down? how do you get to it usually? do you go to Neko and choose Network mode, or multiplayer mode??

Network. I was doing the same thing. Multi is for co-op 3DS multiplayer sessions.

After 3 failed attempts:

just put your trust in based Nick

Fought my first Brachydios for someone's urgent on Monday and damn was he fun. I chose hammer because I had no idea what element he was weak against. He's similar to Barroth in that he has a low stun tolerance but the head can be tricky to reach. The huge bump in crazy explosion attacks while raging wasted two of us including me. It came pretty close. I'll need that urgent done soon too.

Xater

It'll be the first night without hunting with GAF online since I have the game.
Thanks whoever is running the PAL servers.

Yep, super disappointing. I was looking forward to some Mp in the evening. Played some SP to get a high rank set but now I think I am done for today. MP would have made me play a little longer today. Well hopefully tomorrow they will work...

Some communication from Capcom would be nice.

If you can fuck up an Arzuros in 3 minutes, you will have absolutely no problem with Ludroth.

Go for it! The game only gets larger and more expansive as you move forward. :D

Royal Ludroth is a fun fight, he's the first big monster you get to cut the tail off of.

I love the High Rank Arzuros quest. Finally he didn't die in ten hits, and there are two of them teaming up on you. One of my favourite 'new' monsters.

Royal Ludroth shouldn't be too tough of a fight, especially if you can keep him on land. His roll will take off a lot of your health, but you can actually roll under it if you have the timing down and otherwise, he's not too bad.

PYRUxRX.jpg

blackflag

OMG, I was finishing some village quests, got my first rustshard and it was for the greatsword (which is the only weapon class I use). Holy crap I lucked out.

Got to play this a ton at PAX with some people, but I haven't been able to take my game online yet, and I won't be able to for a few more days, I'd expect. Can't wait.

This happened to me. I mostly just use hammer, have gotten 2 rustshards and both were worn hammers. Useless to get 2 but I remember getting everything but a hammer for awhile in Tri.

ramyeon

Excuse the noob question but am I right in understanding that to cut off the tail you just have to keep attacking it? Is the switch axe in its axe form able to cut off tails? Or would I need to use the sword form?

Hoodbury

Excuse the noob question but am I right in understanding that to cut off the tail you just have to keep attacking it? Is the switch axe in its axe form able to cut off tails? Or would I need to use the sword form?

Ya, you need a cutting type weapon. I think Hammer and hunting horn are the only two that can't cut tails off. Axe can in either mode.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How are the loadtimes in the Wii U version? Especially if digitally purchasing a copy.

Also, battery life on Gamepad vs. new Pro controller? Can you keep the Gamepad in the cradle for use simultaneously while you play on the Pro controller for the touchscreen benefits?

Also does the new Pro controller have rumble? Or is it like the Classic Pro from the Wii? (Just debating the benefits of buying the new Pro vs. using the Wii Classic Pro instead when I snag a Wii U)

On 3DS I had to disable the 3D from options and the local hunter wifi stuff in order to keep the system from not dying every two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom