• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost23

I don't have any problems at all with the 3DS controls. Well, I did at first when I didn't know you could use the dpad touchscreen to dive in the water...:p

Remfin

Did we ever hear the exact details of how online communication works? Specifically, are you able to communicate somehow with hunters in the hunt when you aren't in the room with them? Cause the 4 person lobby thing never bothered me; it was the fact you couldn't actually communicate with people in those lobbies that made it annoying.

Eusis

I have 60 friends/40 pending request, Nintendo needs to raise the friend list limit.
They really should'e learned from the XBL/PSN being too cramped relative to the likes of Twitter or Facebook, but then I guess Nintendo needs to learn what they do right period anyway.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
WxDHeCj.jpg

Yes, I am an asshole.

No, I am not sorry.

muu

You can create rooms with a specific name and also add password, but rooms are limited to 4 players.

I know that. someone made a community page where you can post that you've started a room and a pw to go with it, etc. Recall seeing it in a previous post/thread. more dependable than hoping randoms that join up aren't complete idiots, and easier to set up than inviting friends and hoping stuff get set up. Would certainly make setting up something like GAF-specific games easy if people can hop on to the site, see if anyone's got a game going, etc.

Random question to the Monster Hunter vets: What's generally considered the "best" game in the series?

I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom back when that came out from about 20 hours, and i'm going to give the series another shot with this one. Basically just curious where the whole series has gone in terms of quality since then, and where this one stacks up among the others.

Mupod

Random question to the Monster Hunter vets: What's generally considered the "best" game in the series?

I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom back when that came out from about 20 hours, and i'm going to give the series another shot with this one. Basically just curious where the whole series has gone in terms of quality since then, and where this one stacks up among the others.

This one, I guess? It has no shortage of content, a g-rank, and online.

There were people who preferred Freedom Unite over the last two iterations because of the sheer amount of content, and a lot of the old monsters haven't been revamped. But nobody in their right mind prefers janky hitboxes and crappy AI, and this game has you covered for content. Plus online and better controls.

Frontier has a lot of stuff but it's not exactly accessible and it's a huge grindfest. Monster quality standards are pretty low too.

I know that. someone made a community page where you can post that you've started a room and a pw to go with it, etc. Recall seeing it in a previous post/thread. more dependable than hoping randoms that join up aren't complete idiots, and easier to set up than inviting friends and hoping stuff get set up. Would certainly make setting up something like GAF-specific games easy if people can hop on to the site, see if anyone's got a game going, etc.

GAF can just claim a city.

It'll be like "go to the General server, City #55, and within the city GAF games are on page 5."

True, some randoms might show up, but who cares? If it's back alley enough the majority will still be GAF. Passworded games can be put there too.

Oh ok, I think I remember, it's a website-tool of some sort, right? These things never work though, lol. And we can always use the friend-list to warp to a GAF room.

I would say Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, it's a combination of Freedom Unite (content) and Tri (improvements).

This one, I guess? It has no shortage of content, a g-rank, and online.

There were people who preferred Freedom Unite over the last two iterations because of the sheer amount of content, and a lot of the old monsters haven't been revamped. But nobody in their right mind prefers janky hitboxes and crappy AI, and this game has you covered for content. Plus online and better controls.

Frontier has a lot of stuff but it's not exactly accessible and it's a huge grindfest. Monster quality standards are pretty low too.

What do you mean by Monster Quality standards?
compared to now or now compared to then?

GAF can just claim a city.

It'll be like "go to the General server, City #55, and within the city GAF games are on page 5."

True, some randoms might show up, but who cares? If it's back alley enough the majority will still be GAF. Passworded games can be put there too.
Good idea, let's create a password then!

I vote for NargacugaIsMySavior.

My vote is quote to see.

Monsters were pretty shit back then compared to now? That would be my guess.

Hahaha. I like this one.

Edit: aww, you made it legit.

Anyway, I suppose it would make sense that it would be compared to now, but I read arguments that the monsters have been dumbed down and made easier.

Jindujun

Neo Member

I'd say Freedom Unite or Frontier. Frontier is truly amazing

Ridley327

Hahaha. I like this one.

Edit: aww, you made it legit.

Anyway, I suppose it would make sense that it would be compared to now, but I read arguments that the monsters have been dumbed down and made easier.

Dumbed down isn't accurate at all; with the third gen, Capcom wanted to vastly improve the hitboxes, since they were a big sticking point of the earlier games, so what they set out to do was make it so that the hitboxes would now be more or less 1:1 with the monster's shape. When you're used to Plesioth's hip check having the impact range of a small building, being able to safely run to the side of him while he's in motion is a bit liberating, if not quite as OH GOD NOT AGAIN-inducing as it once was.

Thoraxes

Kinda weird Amazon didn't have release date delivery with Prime 2-day for me, but oh well. Still getting the Wii U version day one.

I decided not to get the 3DS version because while I may play it, I just can't see myself using it nearly as much at all.

Eusis

Press.

Looks like it'll take a couple of hours to download, though.
Really hope they get this up at 9 PM PST, then it'll be done in time to be a midnight release!
I decided not to get the 3DS version because while I may play it, I just can't see myself using it nearly as much at all.
Yeah, that's what paralyzes me there. Maybe if the CPP XL was out here (fuck paying $40+ for that) and I knew people locally planning to play it and knew I'd actually be playing with them frequently I'd jump, but as is? Online play, and I'll probably need to share my NNID even though I probably wouldn't have spece for everyone. Someone needs to set these limits to 1000 just for the sake of forums (and the fact people might want to freely add anyone they liked playing with.)

Thoraxes

Yeah, that's what paralyzes me there. Maybe if the CPP XL was out here (fuck paying $40+ for that) and I knew people locally planning to play it and knew I'd actually be playing with them frequently I'd jump, but as is? Online play, and I'll probably need to share my NNID even though I probably wouldn't have spece for everyone. Someone needs to set these limits to 1000 just for the sake of forums (and the fact people might want to freely add anyone they liked playing with.)

The way I looked at it was that I would be getting the 3DS version for only $20! lol
I kept telling myself it'd be worth it, and I was even ok without the CPP XL for it too.

You are right though, and it's kinda the same result I ended with.

I'll be happy to be playing with you guys though. Should be a real blast!

krpiper

Is this worth jumping into as my first MH game? I'll be on the 3ds OR should I dig out my psp and play the series on that?

Also any sales going on?

I need a game for spring break

Thanks for any input!

Schwabe

Well here is a video of MH3U online facing a Lagiacrus by NiNTENDOMiNATi0N: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz04Gm5Kxvg

It took about 13 minutes with 4 players.

EDIT: Hope they patch in a dynamic difficulty scale so it adjusts depending on the number of players and not have it the way it is currently set.

Lol, i was in this lobby (Tenjin), didn't know they recorded. It could have been quicker...

But it is a low rank quest (urgent to HR2).

Ken

Is this worth jumping into as my first MH game? I'll be on the 3ds OR should I dig out my psp and play the series on that?

Also any sales going on?

I need a game for spring break

Thanks for any input!

Go for it. The last PSP game that was localized was MHFU so that's quite a while back. I'd just jump in with this.

Ridley327

I think we should go with the term "target cam", since that is the term that was used in the translation of what the producer said in the Q&A.

Yeah, I like that one a lot.

I'm kinda surprised it took them this long to figure it out, though; it's such a simple addition and it really does improve the standard 3DS controls. Would have been nice to have in MH1 on the PS2, that's for sure.

(for those just getting into the series for the first time, MH1 on the PS2 had no camera controls on the right stick, as that actually controlled your attacks, which put the camera on the d-pad, making the claw method much older than you might realize :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom