• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorman

Well, took down my first Duramboros and rescu--I mean kill-stole Kayamba. What an awkward fight, taking at him up-close with the lance it felt like I could only see what I was even doing half the time because his giant fat ass took up the whole camera. It feels like he has to be approached very differently from most monsters.

Also it might just be me, but I feel like the village powderstone quest was somehow made way more annoying this time around compared to Tri. I just had to craft a whole set of Ludroth armor just to get marathon runner to finish the damn thing.

Hobby

Anyone want to do a few HR3 Qurupeco's and then HR3 quests? Need the HR Quru set pretty desperately because HR3 stuff is eating me alive. I have a room set up in Free Play 01, Lobby 10 if anyone's interested.

Does anyone knows how to get aqua sac? I though I could get it from Royal Ludroth but didn't get any so far and I've been hunting him all day, maybe I'm just having a really bad luck. What gives the better chances killing him or capturing ?

Game finally came in the mail today! Pre-order with that Amazon deal in early February and yet I'm too cheap to get anything but free shipping so I get my game a week after launch.

Anyways... I played Tri a bit on the Wii, basically stopping around-ish the time I beat the big water dragon guy causing the quakes. But I never went online or did LAN. As such, I have some lingering questions!

When should the average scrub think about trying to go online? What about LAN? What if my buddy on the 3DS is doing lower level stuff than I am? How's that work out?

jercruz

Also it might just be me, but I feel like the village powderstone quest was somehow made way more annoying this time around compared to Tri. I just had to craft a whole set of Ludroth armor just to get marathon runner to finish the damn thing.

Here's what I did: bought the Loc Lac set (its just 3 pieces), eat until I get max stamina, and cold drink.

ramyeon

Aaand Lagi is down for the count. Easier than I expected. Now I really wanna farm him for that awesome looking armour but while the fight was easy it seemed to drag on so long. Probably a good 20-30 mins :/

depward

Does anyone knows how to get aqua sac? I though I could get it from Royal Ludroth but didn't get any so far and I've been hunting him all day, maybe I'm just having a really bad luck. What gives the better chances killing him or capturing ?

I believe I got some via carves from R. Ludroth in free hunt..

Hattori

Banned
Just got done playing online with randoms trying to raise my HR (from 1) lol, I feel so overpowered and these guys keep fainting and wasting precious zenny

Filth

question: if you build a weapon from the ground up lets say. hidden stinger. if i were to build it from the very first item it would have more properties on it rather then if i bought it when it appeared at the smith? i ask this because the mh wiki says my lance is syuppose to have poison on it " judging by looking at the tree" but i bought it outright when the mats dropped and it doesnt have poison on it. is the wiki wrong or did i not know about this ?

nm i found my answer the property is when you have the awakening skill

I am now Kayamba's minion. Having said that...

Duramboros is a lousy, filthy, no-good, miserable piece of shit!! Seriously, fuck that monster and everything about that monster. Bloody thing kept running away when I got it limping, only to get healed enough that it was savage again. I've never been so happy to see something die.

What a great fight.

I've been playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my Vita and I've been enjoying quite a bit although I have so many other games to play that I'm not too far into it. How does this game compare?

ajim

I've been playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my Vita and I've been enjoying quite a bit although I have so many other games to play that I'm not too far into it. How does this game compare?
unite has unreal amounts of content and it amazing. 3 ultimate has a bucketload too, its much more refined in every way, has online and its the best looking mh yet. Honestly, there's no reason why you wouldn't own it as a mh fan as its probably the best mh yet.

Morokh

Does Off-Tv play drain the battery faster than when the screen is on when you play with the gamepad ?

Played singleplayer last night trying out some other weapons and doing a bit of farming/farm upgrading.

Think i'll be rocking Hunting Horn more often, playing Dual Swords gives you that faster feel, but the range of bigger weapons (and the KO possibility of the Horn) also gives a significant edge. I was able to down a Great Jaggi in no time focusing on his head and getting two KO's, poor thing could not even flee xD
Qurupeco is a bit of a pain with SS cause of all his armored parts, I find it way easier to fight him with a bigger weapon.

Also tried the bow, because I tried it in the 3DS demo, was more successful now that I've seen people play with it and understand a bit how it works, but there are still some things I don't get.

How do coatings work ? I bought some but they would'nt work.

How do you aim with the 'rain of arrow' while holding R ... was thinking that it was the clunky controls of the 3DS at first but even on WiiU I don't get it.

Had a good laugh with the Cha-Cha BBQ helmet too :D

Forkball

How big is the download for the Wii U version? I have a 32GB harddrive and don't have an external one yet. I don't want it taking up all my memory until I get an external harddrive.

Eusis

How big is the download for the Wii U version? I have a 32GB harddrive and don't have an external one yet. I don't want it taking up all my memory until I get an external harddrive.
About 6 GB. This seems more like the kind of game you would want on your system perpetually anyway, half to play whenever and half to not kill your disc drive.

Raide

Is there a bow guide video anywhere? How do I make it rain arrows?
KuGsj.gif

Not sure if you got the answer or not but on WIi-U you hold X +Rb to go into that charge and aim mode. When the red marker appears on the floor, press A. Based upon the weapon status, you get different things for that move. Might be lots of projectiles, might be a exploding arrow. Play with them all and see what you get. :D

After seeing how much they nerfed Quru's armour set, I can't decide what to go for, for LR. I'm still in the leather set and up to Tundra missions in the village. Gah.

Might just hold out farming until Lagi, assuming he still has Element Attack Up (sns user btw).

Raide

How do coatings work ? I bought some but they would'nt work.

How do you aim with the 'rain of arrow' while holding R ... was thinking that it was the clunky controls of the 3DS at first but even on WiiU I don't get it.

Had a good laugh with the Cha-Cha BBQ helmet too :D

Coatings work as long as the bow you have supports them. Check your weapon Status. The Charge levels show what happens when you charge is. Pierce is awesome for long monsters, since it can go through all of them. :D The Wroggi Bow has a poison upgrade, so that is awesome if you want to poison the hell out of everything quickly.

Standing still with weapon out, you an press Lb and x to cycle through your coatings. When you pick the one you want, press X+A. You can put away your weapon and the coating will stay but if you choose No Coating, it will vanish. You will get faster at doing it. Usually start with poison, then move on to Close Range or Power if you can support it. Stuff goes down quick if you get the right coating.

Hold X to charge weapon and hold Rb to go into aim mode. Press A when at full charge and when the red marker is on the ground. Then press A and fire! Best used on clumped up monsters or if they are standing still/focusing on Cha-Cha.

I beat Ceadeus and unlocked high rank quests. Ceadeus is a really bad fight. So long and boring and the ancient weapons don't control well either. Rather than make a good fight that requires you to use everything you've learned in the game, they make you follow a buffalo whale around for half an hour and just throw in some shitty turrets at the end. It reminds me of Malygos in WoW. The CG ending was awesome, though. The new zone is really nice looking too.

I really want to keep doing these high rank quests, but I think I'll start playing more Luigi's Mansion now and then get back to MH. Maybe. If I can stay away.

Oh, and I played the whole game on the same Pro controller charge. It still has 2 bars, actually.

Ken

I beat Ceadeus and unlocked high rank quests. Ceadeus is a really bad fight. So long and boring and the ancient weapons don't control well either. Rather than make a good fight that requires you to use everything you've learned in the game, they make you follow a buffalo whale around for half an hour and just throw in some shitty turrets at the end. It reminds me of Malygos in WoW. The CG ending was awesome, though. The new zone is really nice looking too.

I really want to keep doing these high rank quests, but I think I'll start playing more Luigi's Mansion now and then get back to MH. Maybe. If I can stay away.

Yeah, Caedeus is pretty boring if you're fighting him without having any better gear beyond what you're at offline-wise. The Dragonator works well enough, but I'm surprised they left the ballistas alone. Try shooting stuff in online with two people on the same ballista; it's pretty hard!

Thoraxes

Does off-screen play not guarantee headphones mode? Or do you mean a way for all sounds to come out of the gamepad while not in off-screen mode?
Correct.
Go to options, put sound output to Gamepad, plug in your headphones, enjoy?

Wow, I can't even believe I missed that.

I guess I didn't find it before because I always tried looking for that option on the title screen, where it isn't.

Thanks!

Prade

I'm really shocked about how self conscious I am when playing online. I always feel like garbage when I feel like I'm not doing enough, even when I'm not carting. Like, I have roles as a Horn Bro, but it gets to be overwhelming trying to keep everyone buffed, getting KOs, and keeping myself alive.

No other game has made me feel bad about doing poorly except for this one, and I spend tons of time thinking "OH GOD WHAT IF THEY'RE MAD AT ME??? WHAT IF I'M NOT BUFFING ENOUGH??? WHAT IF THEY'RE LAUGHING AT ME BECAUSE THE GUNLANCE GUY GETS MORE BREAKS THAN I DO???"

I know that Horn Bro-ing should be fun but it's stressing me out to the point where I just want to drop the class altogether. I'm new to the series and still struggling to learn the monsters, so maybe I'll go back to being a Swaxguy until I can calm down or something.

Relax. You're your biggest critic here. If you're buffing, people will always be grateful. If you're doing damage and just playing along with the team, they'll enjoy having you. My best advice to newcomers to the series is just be a team player, and people will love playing with you.

Kyzon

Any Suggestions on a good Armor Set for a user of Bows is? Just for kicks and looks, I'm using Wroggi armor, and while I enjoy the lack of poisoning, it doesn't do too much else for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom