• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

I think YouTube links to weapon tutorials as well as YouTube links to pro users of weapons would really help. Seeing how a weapon works in action really makes things much easier to wrap your head around, or at least it does for me.

Also, that video about making money using the Kelbi Horn method as well as some gathering tips would be good.

Unrelated to that, I decided to free-hunt a Qurupeco last night. Fuuuuuuuuck that. He runs away too much. Like, way too much.

Alright, MHWiki is also good. Will put a link to the tables too.

okay confession time...back in tri i never beat ceadeus, i could play online i didn't bother to much with solo play, anyway so here I am on the 3ds version and i can't seem to beat him? the quest just insta failed after i was wailing on him for about 15 minutes?

cha cha has the ancient mask, is it suppose to give me oxygen somehow? if so how do i activate the skill?

i might of ran out of oxygen, but shoudln't i have just retuned to base camp, i hadn't died or anything?

is my ludroth cataclysm blade good enough? it has the highest raw i have? the only other weapon i have thats any good is the gigi HH

help please!
any help please, i help lots of you :(

The first time, the quest takes 35 min, every time after is 30 min.

Ancient mask is activated when you press the signal button. When you press the signal button on the touch screen, Cha-Cha will come towards you while his mask has air coming out of it thus giving you oxygen.

If you run out of oxygen, you will lose health, so that isn't the problem.

You should use the underwater ballistas. Your weapons right now are not that strong, so it would be better to use the underwater ballistas which are on both sides of the final area.

This is how I do my runs:
1. In the beginning, attack its beard like hell.
2. It will go into area 2, and that should be where you can break its beard.
3. It will then go fast so keep up with it, I attack the top of its head at this time if I can get to it.
4. The final showdown will begin, go next to the underwater guns and you will find ammo there. It should be 10.
5. Use it and aim for the horns, one of them can break off.
6. It will eventually move really far away, at that time I go to the dragonator and place bombs where the dragonator can hit it.
7. Wait above the gong for Ceadeus to come. Then when it does, use the gong and it should inflict lots of damage.
8. Go back to the guns and go for its face.
9. Once you're out of underwater ammo from both sides, start attacking it with your weapon. You'll eventually do enough damage for it to flee.

Does anyone know where I can get stout bone?

I'm pretty sure it is in high rank and the smaller high rank monsters give it.

NeoRausch

Does anyone have nice list at hand that just shows the elemental weakness of all monsters?

I just want to print me out something to always have a sheet for a fast look.

clicking around on wikia on my phone while playing doesn't do it for me.

vareon

Beaten Barrioth solo, with Jaggi Armor and Cerberus Katana. Died once because unprepared, but killed it in the last 7 minutes or so. Feels good man.

Salaadin

So how much luck is involved in getting tails? I need a Barroth Tail for some pants. I cut that thing off 3 times and each carve, I only got Barroth Ridge. Am I doing it right and just have bad luck or am I missing something?

Proven

No. You need to use a Treasure Tracker or something similar to that.

Fish Finder, Treasure Tracker, and I believe the item for hunting is Spare Spear.

So how much luck is involved in getting tails? I need a Barroth Tail for some pants. I cut that thing off 3 times and each carve, I only got Barroth Ridge. Am I doing it right and just have bad luck or am I missing something?

Bad luck. I only need one. single. tail. and I still haven't gotten it in days either.

Mondriaan

Is there a NA server maintenance schedule out there somewhere? It would be nice to know if going lights out on the online system around midnight EDST for an unknown amount of time is going to be a daily thing.

Someone did the program for determining charm table via fishing.
http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/6821-athenas-fish-finder/

Does this application go to net or does it work offline? It would kind of suck if it works by hammering that Japanese site.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Lady luck is laughing at you right now.

It sucks, but yeah - you're just unlucky.

Fistwell

Unlucky. Tail is apparently a 70% carve from tail, or at least was in Tri. I'd say keep cutting those tails. Capping it gives you another shot at some tail as well.

Are Euro people online this afternoon? I should be there on and off, got a bunch of errands to run but will try to squeeze in some monhun time.

Haunted

Does anyone have nice list at hand that just shows the elemental weakness of all monsters?

I just want to print me out something to always have a sheet for a fast look.

clicking around on wikia on my phone while playing doesn't do it for me.
I'd also love something like this. I have lots of weapons but can't keep track of all the elemental weaknesses.

Neifirst

One week of playing and I'm into the 5-star village quests and am having trouble for the first time. Can I get away with using dual blades on duramboros? I've been using the hunting horn as my heavy weapon, but I can't seem to get out of the way quickly enough when dealing with this monster. I know exactly what I want to do, but can't seem to make it work. I've got barroth, wroggi, and jaggi armor all leveled up to 5, so if any of those are particularly good, please let me know. Thanks!

Mupod

One week of playing and I'm into the 5-star village quests and am having trouble for the first time. Can I get away with using dual blades on duramboros? I've been using the hunting horn as my heavy weapon, but I can't seem to get out of the way quickly enough when dealing with this monster. I know exactly what I want to do, but can't seem to make it work. I've got barroth, wroggi, and jaggi armor all leveled up to 5, so if any of those are particularly good, please let me know. Thanks!

I'd recommend sticking with the HH, remember that if you stagger him when he's spinning he'll fall over. Go in after he spins a couple times and he lifts his tail up letting you get in there. Also he gets hungry very quickly when you beat on him with an impact weapon, which means he spends even MORE time flopping over letting you hit his vulnerable humps. You can pitfall him for a ton of chances at the small hump as well.

Out of those sets I'd say Wroggi is best for dual swords because of sharp sword. You'll need to sharpen a lot less. I think you can easily gem it for status attack up if your DS are poison or paralyze based.

edit: also remember that while his head is very easy to hit, he's extremely resistant to KO damage and his head takes very little damage overall. His tail and humps should be your focus with an impact weapon, but KOing is still worth it a couple times to get access to the humps.

ramyeon

Man, Rhenoplos are the most annoying monster ever. Farming for Bullfango heads in that Streaking with Bullfango DLC quest is so frustrating. Getting rammed left right and centre if you're not super careful. That and an obscenely bad drop rate :/

Had to kill a Barroth four times until I got its tail. But then ALL OF THE BARROTH SET HAPPENED and I laid down and said to myself "'twas a good day, it was."

Salaadin

Had to kill a Barroth four times until I got its tail. But then ALL OF THE BARROTH SET HAPPENED and I laid down and said to myself "'twas a good day, it was."

I have everything but the pants. Its frustrating but Barroth is fun to beat up on so its not too bad. Hes probably my favorite to kill so far because of how easy he is. You can just see him fall apart as the fight goes on.

Also, I see your icon.

#TeamReal :p

I have everything but the pants. Its frustrating but Barroth is fun to beat up on so its not too bad. Hes probably my favorite to kill so far because of how easy he is. You can just see him fall apart as the fight goes on.

Also, I see your icon.

#TeamReal :p

#TeamCG all the way, man!

Also Barroth was the first monster I fought against that got a huge "WOW!" out of me. I was fucking amazed of how awesome it looks. Simply amazing, really. My favorite monster right now :)

Also wait until you have to fight Lagiacrus. That fight is fucking annoying.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Even though I've been playing Monster Hunter for a long time, I've never encountered the Durambos until this game. He was fairly easy for me, I used a Wroggi LS (does poison damage), and Bone Armor (every piece to like level 2 or 3),

He didn't seem that hard to maneuver around. The most annoying thing would be his spin, but I normally just rolled like crazy out of the way, then gave him a moving target. What attacks is he doing that's driving you crazy?

Started giving more weapons a shot yesterday.

Hunted a Great Jaggi and Qurupeco with a bow. Hmm. The bow is fun and now I have a basic understanding of how to use it, but I still don't understand the aim mode of it. Aiming with R trigger and R stick, yet shooting with a face button? I just don't get it.

Hunted a R. Ludroth with a lance. Man, the lance is really interesting. It's definitely meant for you to just stay up in monsters faces all the time. Blocking an attack with a long recovery and going into a charge attack to the face is awesome. Not having a roll with the weapon drawn is tough to get used to, though.

I wanted to play online last night but had some serious trouble finding any HR1 rooms. Anyone wanna get a room together this evening?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Started giving more weapons a shot yesterday.

Hunted a Great Jaggi and Qurupeco with a bow. Hmm. The bow is fun and now I have a basic understanding of how to use it, but I still don't understand the aim mode of it. Aiming with R trigger and R stick, yet shooting with a face button? I just don't get it.

Hunted a R. Ludroth with a lance. Man, the lance is really interesting. It's definitely meant for you to just stay up in monsters faces all the time. Blocking an attack with a long recovery and going into a charge attack to the face is awesome. Not having a roll with the weapon drawn is tough to get used to, though.

I wanted to play online last night but had some serious trouble finding any HR1 rooms. Anyone wanna get a room together this evening?

After trying SA, I'm having a hard time going back to Lance. Lance is amazing, but it requires a very different approach since you're supposed to just grin and bear it. The hardest thing for me when I play Lance is dealing with the small monsters that join in.

Hunting Qurupeco yesterday, I was getting overwhelmed by the Jaggis or Ludroths or even Rhenopolis' charging at me. With SA, I can roll, swipe, roll, swipe, etc etc. If any Lance players have tips on how to deal with situations like that, I'm all ears!

ace3skoot

continuing my fail of ceadeus, i seem to get to the end of area 2 and just instantly fail? am i just not doing enough damge? or am i suppose to be doing something?

Mupod

continuing my fail of ceadeus, i seem to get to the end of area 2 and just instantly fail? am i just not doing enough damge? or am i suppose to be doing something?

As I said, you aren't doing enough damage. What part are you hitting?

The first time I fought him in 3U (I beat him many times in Tri, but that was a while ago) I was focusing on his horn because I wanted to break it. I forgot that if you don't do enough damage before that point, you auto-fail rather than going into phase 2.

I managed to pull it off with the lagiacrus hunting horn, focusing almost entirely on his beard.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

You need to break the beard in order to move on to the final area. Concentrate on that area as much as possible.

You'll know you've caused enough damage when the Cadaceus starts to suddenly swim like crazy for the end of the area and completely ignore you.

ramyeon

Okay I was going about that DLC quest wrong. Skirting the sides and luring the Bullfangos to you while avoiding detection from the Rehnoplos was so much easier. Still took 4 times to get 2 heads.

Used those to forge the DLC gunlance Baron's Blazon. This looks so damn cool. Is the shield a Zelda reference by any chance? Going to try and see how the gunlance plays since I've been using switch axes from square one until now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Ah, you're not even getting to the final area. But yeah, focus on the beard. As a hammer user, it's pretty easy to stay with him and hit him quite hard. I usually have his beard and tail broken pretty early.

Mupod

Are you using the Dragonator? You should be able to squeeze at least two hits with it in. When he's raging, he'll swim across the map and then back toward the Dragonator, coming up right in front of it. You could bait him into it through regular fighting as well.

His problem is that he isn't getting to the phase with the dragonator/ballistas.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using the Dragonator? You should be able to squeeze at least two hits with it in. When he's raging, he'll swim across the map and then back toward the Dragonator, coming up right in front of it. You could bait him into it through regular fighting as well.

I don't think he's even made it into that area with the weapons, he's failing the mission in the area right before that.

Fewr

Still doing offline 3 star missions, I'm having tons of fun killing monsters over and over again to learn their tells and patterns better. I move on once I have gotten their full armor set.

I love this game, I can't believe I hadn't given the franchise a go before, but then, I think this is the best version so far for newbies like me to jump in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Okay I was going about that DLC quest wrong. Skirting the sides and luring the Bullfangos to you while avoiding detection from the Rehnoplos was so much easier. Still took 4 times to get 2 heads.

Used those to forge the DLC gunlance Baron's Blazon. This looks so damn cool. Is the shield a Zelda reference by any chance? Going to try and see how the gunlance plays since I've been using switch axes from square one until now.

Is this the new DLC? I did the one where you needed to hunt 20 by just running in and killing everything.

ramyeon

Is this the new DLC? I did the one where you needed to hunt 20 by just running in and killing everything.
Same one, but running in and killing everything isn't the most effective way haha. If you lure them out you can kill 20 without being hit once. Also helps for carving since the Rhenoplos tend to interrupt your carves by charging you like crazy if you're in the thick of it.

Prade

If any Lance players have tips on how to deal with situations like that, I'm all ears!

You're just gonna have to bear with it. Keep up the constant attack on the monster and just ignore the little jaggis and ludroth. The Rheno's are a problem for every class lol.

Unicorn

Not sure if you got the answer or not but on WIi-U you hold X +Rb to go into that charge and aim mode. When the red marker appears on the floor, press A. Based upon the weapon status, you get different things for that move. Might be lots of projectiles, might be a exploding arrow. Play with them all and see what you get. :D

I noticed on some WiiU vids that they are able to move the distance of the "rain/bomb" circle, but I am unable to do so in the 3DS. regardless of how I Yawn my aim, the circle remains at the same distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom