• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoshi1

Doing the urgent to kill the Lagiacrus for story mode, I repelled him within 2 minutes, so I'm sure I'll have his corpse in no time.

I love my Warhammer + and Piscine armor.

Mupod

Is Brachydios a dragon type Monster?

Dragons have 4 limbs and wings. This game only has
two, Alatreon and Dire Miralis
. The Elder Dragon classification is also used for super weird shit that nobody understands like Kirin and Yamatsukami. Edit: also I forgot Jhen and Ceadeus.

There's some stuff in this series classified as 'wyverns' that really baffled me (Hi Akantor), but there you go.

Mupod

Alright, so I don't have to worry about my -15 dragon. :p

Oh, you meant the attack type. The funny thing is in past games, some wyverns had physical attacks classified as dragon. Rathalos' charge and almost everything Tigrex did, for example. So people would go into the fight with -25 dragon resist, get nearly one shotted and think HOLY CRAP WHAT THE HELL.

This game it's usually pretty obvious when it's a dragon attack. Look for purplish dark crap that puts a negative affinity blight on you. It's very rare, but you'll know it when you see it.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Dragons have 4 limbs and wings. This game only has
two, Alatreon and Dire Miralis
. The Elder Dragon classification is also used for super weird shit that nobody understands like Kirin and Yamatsukami.

There's some stuff in this series classified as 'wyverns' that really baffled me (Hi Akantor), but there you go.

So basically the dragon attribute is not that useful in the game?

Oh, you meant the attack type. The funny thing is in past games, some wyverns had physical attacks classified as dragon. Rathalos' charge and almost everything Tigrex did, for example. So people would go into the fight with -25 dragon resist, get nearly one shotted and think HOLY CRAP WHAT THE HELL.

This game it's usually pretty obvious when it's a dragon attack. Look for purplish dark crap that puts a negative affinity blight on you. It's very rare, but you'll know it when you see it.

Ahh okay, I'll keep an eye out.

Mupod

So basically the dragon attribute is not that useful in the game?

Well, the weapon element is like any other element. It's generally good against the larger more powerful monsters and does little to something like, I dunno, Qurupeco. It's great for Rathalos and the elder dragons, for example. Works on Gigginox too but not as well as fire.

The main issue is that the weapons themselves are fairly rare. Rustshard stuff for example.

Starting a room. Freeplay 3, Lobby 9, same pass, etc.

I'd like to hunt either Aknaktor or Giggi first, but I'm HR2 right now so it's whatever yall wanna do if Giggi isn't okay.

Mupod

Yeah :) I was just wondering if we'd get a smooth co-op experience. How does it work, are we both running around in the same world or...?

There are quests for both solo and multiplayer. To play multi you go to the port, to play solo you go to the village. The quests are seperate and generally it's a good idea to do the solo stuff as well to get your farm up and running.

but the online/local multi works like

1. You join the multiplayer area (the port)
2. You create a room
3. Friend joins your room
4. In the lobby area you post a quest, and you can get your equipment/items/buffs set up
5. Do quest
6. Return to lobby and repeat

For clarification the game is not open world, it's mission-based. Think Diablo, or PSO.

Doorman

You mean you get additional quest tiers in the Village (SP) after you beat the five-star stuff? Man I have put about 20 hours in and just barely started. I just got to the 3-star stuff and barely touched the Tavern quests. When people say 100 hours is nothing in this game they aren't joking.
It's really true. I put in over 300 hours in Tri between two characters, and in neither of them did I even fight Ceadeus and barely got into high rank online. Granted, I did a bunch of free-hunting and worked my way through slowly, but there's no shortage of content here.

I've already sunk 40 hours into Ultimate. That 300 hour mark from Tri is going to fall, with ease.

There are quests for both solo and multiplayer. To play multi you go to the port, to play solo you go to the village. The quests are seperate and generally it's a good idea to do the solo stuff as well to get your farm up and running.

but the online/local multi works like

1. You join the multiplayer area (the port)
2. You create a room
3. Friend joins your room
4. In the lobby area you post a quest, and you can get your equipment/items/buffs set up
5. Do quest
6. Return to lobby and repeat

For clarification the game is not open world, it's mission-based. Think Diablo, or PSO.
Perfect explanation. Thanks!

Kouriozan

Finally HR 4, tomorrow/Friday I won't play as much because of Luigi's Mansion 2/Lego City and HarmoKnight, but I'll still play at night.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where are we listing our NNID's? I just got my Wii U setup and will be playing tonight/tomorrow online. Just in case, NNID is nicoga3000

rugioh

Banned
Is it supposed to take a long time to finish all of the village quests? I'm hearing about all these people who are already in HR offline, and I'm only on 4 star with around 25-30 hours played. Granted this is my first MH game, but still that seems really fast to finish all the monsters that quickly.

It gets a LOT faster when you've got 4 people per monster. I jumped online the first time ever two days ago and was astonished at how fast we were just absolutely smashing things.

Kouriozan

Is it supposed to take a long time to finish all of the village quests? I'm hearing about all these people who are already in HR offline, and I'm only on 4 star with around 25-30 hours played. Granted this is my first MH game, but still that seems really fast to finish all the monsters that quickly.

34+ hours, 1 or 2 quest left before High Rank for me.

Rize_21

profound sadness. :'(

devilfail.jpg

I don't wish this to nobody. :(

Mupod

Awww yiss I decided to focus on Jhen's arms this time, which resulted in a slower kill but I still had 5 minutes left. And breaking both got me four braces! Which is exactly how many I needed. 2 bloods too.

Now I just need another earth dragongem to complete the set. Not holding my breath, and Volvidon legs get the job done just fine thanks to torso up. But I need 2 more elder dragon blood to upgrade this hammer so I might as well keep going.

If I get really, really bored after I upgrade the hammer (need to progress into 8* quests for the volcano, I'm still 7* village) I'll make a SECOND Jhen set as well as his HBG. Seems like it's an extremely good gunner set and the HBG is as good as the old Lao cannon. Like I said I'm stuck offline for a week, and that upgraded rustshard hammer should be capable of very fast Jhen clears.

...I can't wait to finally go back online, do Jhen, and have someone ask me if I know what I'm doing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It gets a LOT faster when you've got 4 people per monster. I jumped online the first time ever two days ago and was astonished at how fast we were just absolutely smashing things.

Yeah last night we took down Gobul in like 3-4 minutes, was pretty insane haha. And Diablos in about 10.

Mondriaan

What's the problem?

Unreachable corpse, probably.

It's annoying playing with people who insist on fighting/attacking monsters right at the boundaries of the areas that can be traversed. The shakalakas do this all the time as well

The monster was out of reach,I couldn't carve it,I needed its claws to combine it with the power charm and armor charm,it's just like watching a Plesioth dead in the water pre-TriUltimate. :'(
You don't need to kill a jho to get a talon. Just make it hungry and wait for it to go eat something and drop a shiny. Those shinies are very frequently talons.

Kouriozan

The monster was out of reach,I couldn't carve it,I needed its claws to combine it with the power charm and armor charm,it's just like watching a Plesioth dead in the water pre-TriUltimate. :'(

It happened to me once, couldn't get near the monster because that would makes me change aera.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Got to the hard quests on single player, finally, some challenge! Also, glad they brought night time back, I thought it got cut off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom