• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

If you have friends that are higher HR than you, you could always just ask them to use lower tier weapons and armor.

Remember there are no 'levels' in this game per say. An HR 756 person wearing low rank Jaggi armor and using an Iron sword+ is the same as an HR 1 person wearing the same stuff.

Probably easier asking friends to do this than randoms though.

Yeah I usually keep a low rank/joke set so I can play with HR1 people. Glorious Gargwa mask is all I need. Since HH is back in that makes it even easier since now I can heal people too.

also I can't bring the dog to my place because unfortunately I do not live alone and they would not appreciate a mischievous spoiled 200 pound great dane. I can live with 3DS MH for a week, and I like the quiet.

blackflag

Got my kids tonight. but hopefully I'll get to HR4 after they go to bed.

I tried to solo the HR3 urgent(brachy) this morning and I think I could have done it but I forgot to bring whetstones. I still hurt him real bad but suicided in the end since my hammer was red.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How does this feel off-screen? Or better question, how does it feel with the Wii U game pad? I won't have my controller for a few days, so I may stick with 3DS until I get it if it's cripplingly difficult to play with that thing. Or I may just try and get used to it so I can be ready for off-screen...

blackflag

How does this feel off-screen? Or better question, how does it feel with the Wii U game pad? I won't have my controller for a few days, so I may stick with 3DS until I get it if it's cripplingly difficult to play with that thing. Or I may just try and get used to it so I can be ready for off-screen...

I think it will be amazing off screen. I can't wait. I can play offline and double task between watching tv and farming resources or something

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think it will be amazing off screen. I can't wait. I can play offline and double task between watching tv and farming resources or something

Oh I'm completely stoked for the concept (my wife will be able to watch TV and I'll be able to play online), but I'm more concerned with how it will feel control wise.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh I'm completely stoked for the concept (my wife will be able to watch TV and I'll be able to play online), but I'm more concerned with how it will feel control wise.

I've been using the game pad to get used to off-tv play when it arrives and I think it works fine.

Raptomex

I could never get into this on Wii but I'm definitely enjoying myself more now with this version. However, the menu system needs work. I know this game is very involved but I find I don't know what I'm doing do to the menu system. Also, anyone know how long the single player experience is?

I've played both the 3DS and the Wii U versions of the game for a good amount now, and I think that the Wii U version is much more comfortable to play on.

It's comfortable to use in general, although the default second shoulder button configuration didn't really work well with me.

I can't remember when was the last time I had so much fun with a game. Even ordered 3DSXL and MH3U for it today so I can spend even more time hunting :D And just in case if we won't get a U version of MH4 ;)

muu

Gamepad's basically a slightly bigger portable gaming device. I had some shoulder soreness from playing w/ it for 12hr/day over the weekend but that could also be from the car crash a week back.

Ghost23

Just got the Lagiacrus urgent quest. At this point in the game, what would be good armor for a GS user? I'm still using arzuros armor.

Hoodbury

Gamepad's basically a slightly bigger portable gaming device. I had some shoulder soreness from playing w/ it for 12hr/day over the weekend but that could also be from the car crash a week back.

I'm guessing it had more to do with playing for 12 hours a day. lol

that feel when you found a rath ruby and then just quickly used it on the sharpness decoration instead of the Rathian Heart set that you started to forge soon after ...

Going to roll with a full Barioth S set and Ice attack twin blades, along with a full Rath Heart set paired with Fire attack long sword. then once I've slain many monsters of higher and higher ranks, have all the resources I need to forge an as of yet undetermined war horn and armor to pair with it. war horn looks like so much fun.

this game

with Lagi, just kill it with fire, and try to avoid having weakness to lightning attacks. he can one-hit you with the right placement and strength attack. take advantage of the time he spends on land

Hoodbury

Just got the Lagiacrus urgent quest. At this point in the game, what would be good armor for a GS user? I'm still using arzuros armor.

Ya, Great Jaggi armor is good and gem it up to Attack Up M. I kept that until I could farm Ratholos for his armor and then gemmed that up to Attack up L. I'm still wearing that now at HR 4.

Qurupeke

I got a rustshard, that means i'm not on a cursed table, right?

So, have I told you that I found a Rathalos Plate on my first Los? :D Time to finish the armor and I'll be ready to level up to HR3.

Hoodbury

I got a rustshard, that means i'm not on a cursed table, right?

So, have I told you that I found a Rathalos Plate on my first Los? :D Time to finish the armor and I'll be ready to level up to HR3.

Only 2 of the 5 cursed tables didn't have rustshards. But your odds are even lower now I suppose.

DaBoss

I got a rustshard, that means i'm not on a cursed one, right?

That means you aren't in 2/5 cursed tables since 2 of them don't have rushtards. I don't know which ones they are though.

Played some more last night, and now I'm feeling much better with solo Bow! :)

Since I don't have anyone to tank for me at this point, I need to be far more patient and try eliminating enemies before they get to me. Before, I usually went into scope mode after holding x to charge my weapon, but that usually just made me antsy and aim badly, but going into scope mode first, lining up the shot, then holding x and making small adjustments while charging was much better. I can eliminate vespoids and black cats from a distance with both the arrow rain and good aiming with the charge shot, which is great news for me. Jaggis still run up to me and attack faster than I can prep myself, so I'm still doing melee attacks against those guys, but I hit them from the side when they attack so it's not so bad.

I haven't transitioned nor upgraded any of my equipment at this point though, is this expected for early monhun? Still doing 1 star missions at the moment, finished the kill 5 jaggi mission and working on the monster guts one.

Qurupeke

I see... But unfortunately the table searcher site still doesn't work. :-/ Well, nevertheless, I won't restart now... 30-40 hours....

Just got done with my Giggi set (I spam poison, so hell yez), and of course now I find out I need to kill him one or two more times to upgrade my bow/get a new one. Bleh. Will be on later to attempt finishing that up.

Third time fighting rathian I got a plate, back in the original these were rare as fuck and could only be obtained from high rank, wtf.

Hoodbury

What do you use to gem armor with attack up?

Talk to the weapon/armor forger little guy and select decorations. Then pick the decoration called "Attack Jewel". You need might seeds to craft them which you can get from the Tundra location. If you haven't unlocked the Tundra yet you can go to the offline multiplayer area and do a 1* paw pass quest there to gather them.

You'll need 2 attack jewels because Jaggie armor gives you +13 attack skills and you need +15 points to activate the skill Attack up M.

Once you craft the jewels you attach them to the armor pieces that have open slots. For Jaggi armor that's either the Helm, the vambrace, or the Greaves. You attach gems from the weapon/armor crafter dude as well.

To verify you got it all setup correctly, go to the options, on the game pad its the "-" button and then click on status and scroll to the right one or two windows and it shows you all your active skills. you should now have Attack up M instead of Attack up S.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also I think Ian can only poison you when it's in the air (with the 360 forward spin attack.) Be careful when she's in the air and you'll be fine.

For Rathian you really don't want to ever be right underneath her. That attack is her biggest one and the one you really want to avoid.

Well, plus her QTE attack.

Is the Rathian S armor any good? Just got the ruby needed to make it. :)

Health +50 and recovery up sound good if you are taking a lot of damage. :p

Kyzon

Rathian destroyed me with its poison. What's the best way to counter that?

Try to attack at angles, if she takes a step back she's about to backflip. Roll to it's side as soon as you see the back step. if she's flying, never be directly under or in front of her, hit from the side. With these tips you should almost never be hit by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom