• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

remist

I think the target deal is going to push me over the edge. Does anyone know if the digital version will fit on the cheaper wii's hard drive?

Back cover!

182505b.jpg

182345b.jpg

ONLINE VIA DOWNLOAD ON 3DS COVER!

We knew, but sweet they mention it on the back cover, was it confirmed for NA even?

PrimeRib_

Total Monster Hunter newb here, but I snagged this one via NewEgg back when they allowed multiple uses of a promo code to knock $12 off the cost. Still shows as preordered for $47.99. Noogins.

oh yeah, /add me!
NN is PrimeRib

EDIT: N/M - Added myself to the list. The hype train is getting me hyped!

I played a fair bit of Freedom Unite but I never really got into it because the controls destroyed my large hands. It plays comfortably on a 3DS XL right? Tell me it does, I want that sleek all black model

Pineconn

I haven't added my NNID to the list since I'm a micromanaging little bitch when it comes to my friends list. I'll certainly add people I encounter online, though. My NNID is similar (read: identical) to my GAF user name, so...

Ridley327

Good think I preordered at gamestop. Im scared this game will see a botched release like fire emblem.

Well, we got our copies in two weeks before the release, so that's not an issue.

Lego City Undercover, on the other hand, hasn't arrived for us yet, which suggests that Nintendo considers it to have a soft street date, just like FE, so beware.

DaBoss

I tried 2 Toys R Us and 2 EB Games earlier and they had nothing. I wish I was lucky like last time. Got MHTri before street date at Wal-Mart. Maybe I should try Wal-Mart hehe.

Well, we got our copies in two weeks before the release, so that's not an issue.

Lego City Undercover, on the other hand, hasn't arrived for us yet, which suggests that Nintendo considers it to have a soft street date, just like FE, so beware.
Ok great, hope stores that arent like target have a good supply though.

Anybody think gamestop will try to sell early? Hopefully a game like gears judgement will warrant a midnight release at least.

Ultratech

Random question to the Monster Hunter vets: What's generally considered the "best" game in the series?

I've only played Monster Hunter Freedom back when that came out from about 20 hours, and i'm going to give the series another shot with this one. Basically just curious where the whole series has gone in terms of quality since then, and where this one stacks up among the others.

Well, let me explain it this way. (Note: This is mostly my opinion of things.)

First Gen Series (MH1/MHG/MHF1): These games kinda sucked. Well, G had a bunch of improvements, but MH1 was a beast of a game that beat you down pretty hard and made you grind and do mandatory gathering quests (re: Egg/Powderstone quests; easy in concept, but hard/annoying in action). Frankly, MH1 can suck it. If you're interested, go look up some videos. Freedom 1 is based off MHG, with a few improvements.

Second Gen Series (MH2/MHF2/MHFU/MHF, etc): This is where I'd say the games started hitting their stride. Dos made a TON of improvements to the game, making it much more playable and more user-friendly to get into. I went through Dos' single-player about a year back, and it was pretty enjoyable (save for Luna/Teo with their BS Fire Aura crap) given I'd gone through Tri about a year or two before that. (Yes, I went from Tri to Dos. Pretty funny stuff.) The portable games (Freedom 2 & Freedom Unite) and Frontier are all based off of MH2. Freedom Unite is probably the best of the bunch with the sheer amount of content. (Which is pretty massive.)

Third Gen Series (Tri/P3rd/3U): From here, the quality went up pretty significantly, with better looking graphics, much needed fixes (hitboxes for instance), and brand new monsters. Tri was a good game, but it was also sorely lacking in content as opposed to stuff like the Portable games. P3rd remedied this a bit with even more content, monsters and the return of older weapons that were missing in Tri. 3U (from what I understand) is the culmination of Tri and P3rd with even more new stuff, so you're getting a lot of content and monsters to chew through.

Sqorgar

Banned
Can anyone confirm if Best Buy will be selling this game? I have a gift card that needs to be used.
Best Buy absolutely will be selling the game, probably the second they open on Tuesday. In fact, they already had it out on the floor tonight, but when I tried to buy them they wouldn't let me because of the street date.

Second Gen Series (MH2/MHF1&2/MHFU/MHF, etc): This is where I'd say the games started hitting their stride. Dos made a TON of improvements to the game, making it much more playable and more user-friendly to get into. I went through Dos' single-player about a year back, and it was pretty enjoyable (save for Luna/Teo with their BS Fire Aura crap) given I'd gone through Tri about a year or two before that. (Yes, I went from Tri to Dos. Pretty funny stuff.) The portable games (PSP Games up to Freedom Unite) and Frontier are all based off of MH2. Freedom Unite is probably the best of the bunch with the sheer amount of content. (Which is pretty massive.)
Pretty sure Freedom is based of Monster Hunter G, not the MH2 line. Freedom 2 and Unite are second gen.

Remfin

If you guys feel like you want something like that tool again, I'd suggest an alternative: use something like Jabbr, a pure JavaScript chat system that works just fine on the Wii U's browser. Shows a minimal amount of chat history when you join, OpenId, can be using it on your computer at the same time, etc. It's also open-source so if they take it down/it gets limited someone can always host their own copy.

I'm assuming you can't launch the Internet Browser while playing, otherwise that would be the ultimate tool you could even check in-game :(

Tried demo again last night and still didn't click. I dunno, the mechanics are so crappy. Can't control camera very well, I went with long sword and character moves so slow.

Can someone give me suggestions on maximizing the fun? Please include camera options and class choice. Also, would the fact that I'm left handed effect my fun?

Edit: 3DS here

Satch

Banned
Tried demo again last night and still didn't click. I dunno, the mechanics are so crappy. Can't control camera very well, I went with long sword and character moves so slow.

Can someone give me suggestions on maximizing the fun? Please include camera options and class choice. Also, would the fact that I'm left handed effect my fun?

i think you should use Sword and Shield since you want something faster

when you fight the demo monster (Lagombi or Plesioth), on your bottom screen is a little icon of the same monster. touch that and a reticule will appear on the icon, and tapping L will make the camera turn so that you can see him.

i played the 3DS demo for a long time before i bought my Wii U and i still use the 3DS camera controls for the Wii U version, despite the fact that i have a second analog stick available. once you get into the groove of it, everything gets so much easier imo

i think you should use Sword and Shield since you want something faster

when you fight the demo monster (Lagombi or Plesioth), on your bottom screen is a little icon of the same monster. touch that and a reticule will appear on the icon, and tapping L will make the camera turn so that you can see him.

i played the 3DS demo for a long time before i bought my Wii U and i still use the 3DS camera controls for the Wii U version, despite the fact that i have a second analog stick available. once you get into the groove of it, everything gets so much easier imo

I tried that camera trick but it doesn't stay on the monster. I'll try sword avd shield though.

Sqorgar

Banned

When you get near the boss, turn on the lock on camera (touch the icon of the boss so it has a crosshairs on it). Then when you tap the L-button, it will center the camera towards the boss. Not perfect, but should help.

The thing someone said that helped me get the game is that you should think of it like a turn based strategy game. It's largely about waiting for the right moment to attack, and getting one or two really good hits off, then dodging out of danger. I guess it is more of a marathon than a sprint. It's going to take time to bring down these monsters, and you just don't have the resources to just screw around missing hits and taking damage. Even if you are stocked up, your supplies take considerable time and planning to use. The best healing potion is the one you never have to (stop, sheath your weapon, and run to safety to) use.

I recommend the hammer for starting out. It's a slow weapon to swing, but you still have good mobility when it is out. There's two big moves to know (the triple attack with the golf swing at the end and charging up the hammer with the R button - release it when standing still, not moving). I started out almost exclusively using the charge attack and that's about when the series clicked with me.

I tried that camera trick but it doesn't stay on the monster. I'll try sword avd shield though.
The camera tap after you find the monster is basically a button that defaults the camera towards the monster, the camera isn't really a target lock on camera. So probs takes more getting used to in comparison to other games' camera.

Ken

Keep in mind the SnS is great for applying statuses but kind of low in damage.

The first weapon that clicked with me was the lance since I was still learning monster tells. If it looked bad I would just bring up the shield and then poke down the monster. I really like the long sword too for its side-step and going from a normal combo into a R combo, and then being able to break out of it with the side-step feels good.

Ultratech

The thing someone said that helped me get the game is that you should think of it like a turn based strategy game. It's largely about waiting for the right moment to attack, and getting one or two really good hits off, then dodging out of danger. I guess it is more of a marathon than a sprint. It's going to take time to bring down these monsters, and you just don't have the resources to just screw around missing hits and taking damage. Even if you are stocked up, your supplies take considerable time and planning to use. The best healing potion is the one you never have to (stop, sheath your weapon, and run to safety to) use.

Yup. This is good advice.

One major tip to take out of that is "Don't get greedy".

Sure, you could unload a full combo into a monster, but then you might get hit and lose a ton of health when it could've been much better to do one or two hits and rolled outta there.

Better to err on the side of caution than to get hit and waste time trying to heal back up. (Or worse, get carted.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom