• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you should use Sword and Shield since you want something faster

when you fight the demo monster (Lagombi or Plesioth), on your bottom screen is a little icon of the same monster. touch that and a reticule will appear on the icon, and tapping L will make the camera turn so that you can see him.

i played the 3DS demo for a long time before i bought my Wii U and i still use the 3DS camera controls for the Wii U version, despite the fact that i have a second analog stick available. once you get into the groove of it, everything gets so much easier imo

Never used the camera on the 3DS version much. Awful. L-button to re-center...

...Which I've kind of gotten into the habit of on Wii U, but I really only played the 3DS demo a few times before the Wii U demo finished downloading and once when my roomie was using the TV.

Pineconn

Tend to be on the day or couple of days before the game release, which in all honesty they should do it a week before to drum up hype etc =/

Hopefully. As I was implying, Miiverse is way more reliable than some schmuck reviewer with an agenda, so I hope to persuade some people to try the game out. :D

Key example: ZombiU.

Hopefully. As I was implying, Miiverse is way more reliable than some schmuck reviewer with an agenda, so I hope to persuade some people to try the game out. :D

Key example: ZombiU.

I've never heard someone suggest this and it seems to me totally insane. I trust the community reviews of most other gamers about as far as I could throw them, which even if they're children, I assume isn't very far. Is miiverse really immune from people trying to justify their purchases and others who've made up their mind without trying it?

But, I will say, given recent reviews of games like Dead Space 3 and SimCity, I'm not so sure most reviewers are any more worthy of trust. It's a real shame. There are very few opinions in the industry I trust anymore. I'm trusting the excitement of GAF and my play of them demo on this one. I have a feeling it's going to be an excellent purchase.

chronosic

Has acceptable skills, too. Will probably farm that one as well, as the Qurupeco armor in Ultimate seems quite useless.

Yeah it's going to make a nice early status effect set. I just can't wait to roll into an online lobby looking like a badass bank robber haha.

chronosic

I've never heard someone suggest this and it seems to me totally insane. I trust the community reviews of most other gamers about as far as I could throw them, which even if they're children, I assume isn't very far. Is miiverse really immune from people trying to justify their purchases and others who've made up their mind without trying it?

But, I will say, given recent reviews of games like Dead Space 3 and SimCity, I'm not so sure most reviewers are any more worthy of trust. It's a real shame. There are very few opinions in the industry I trust anymore. I'm trusting the excitement of GAF and my play of them demo on this one. I have a feeling it's going to be an excellent purchase.

The good thing about miiverse is it shows people who have actually played the game, and you can filter to see only posts from people who have.

50% Idk..

maybe with Lego city and mon hun but still it seems unlikely.

Agreed. I think big gains are probably pretty unlikely until something real noteworthy comes out, like a Zelda or Mario. I'd love people to give both these games the time of day, but beyond their niche audiences, I think they'll do little to overcome the generally negative Wii U stigma out there right now.

50% Idk..

maybe with Lego city and mon hun but still it seems unlikely.
Well, with the number only being 64K in a month, having 30,000 people buy a Wii U for this game across the USA seems reasonable to me. That seems like a small but healthy number.

Do Wii U's still have that long/big day 1 update problem?
As far as I know. I didn't think it was a big deal, personally. 45 minutes during the console setup process just feels like another step. Like updating drives and software for a new PC game.

After all the complaining I read beforehand, the initial update wasn't that bad at all. I've sat through waaaaaaay worse PS3 updates.
Yeah, the general install/patch time I have to go through for any new PS3 game I play has me trained to accept this stuff.

Ken

Ah okay. 45 minutes to 1 hour is whatever. Was expecting like, 2+ hours from glancing at the launch day threads.

Pineconn

I disagree. They're abnormally positive about everything.

Miiverse is certainly generally positive, but that might be because the games you've looked at have earned the positivity. I've gone through some of the shovelware sports games' Miiverse pages and the people who bought it aren't terribly satisfied. I have seen disappointed posts for ZombiU an NintendoLand and the such, so it's not inherently a cesspool of positive opinions. Asking, "Should I buy this game?" will typically result in "OMG YES," but it's really a good place to ask specific questions if you're on the fence. Then again, so are message boards like GAF.

I contrast this to games reviews where the homey can say, "FUCK THIS GAME 4/10," and people will look at the score and not buy the game. Again, I reference ZombiU.

EDIT: A bigger issue us ratings on the eShop. Pretty much every piece of software on the 3DS, at least, is rated 3.5 stars out of 5 (or higher)...

Thoraxes

I work at a Target and we got our shipment in Thursday, so it may be a case by case basis. I will say that my store only got 2 of each version in. It's going to be Fire Emblem all over again..

I'll still snag on Amazon as my backup then, but head over to my Target when they open on Tuesday. I can always ship it back to Amazon.

I get 15% off with redcard and family employee discount, so that would just be the better option for me, even including tax.

Yup. This is good advice.

One major tip to take out of that is "Don't get greedy".

Sure, you could unload a full combo into a monster, but then you might get hit and lose a ton of health when it could've been much better to do one or two hits and rolled outta there.

Better to err on the side of caution than to get hit and waste time trying to heal back up. (Or worse, get carted.)

Doctrine.

This is my mantra when playing and its saved my hide many, many times. If in doubt, don't attack - DODGE!

Miiverse is certainly generally positive, but that might be because the games you've looked at have earned the positivity. I've gone through some of the shovelware sports games' Miiverse pages and the people who bought it aren't terribly satisfied. I have seen disappointed posts for ZombiU an NintendoLand and the such, so it's not inherently a cesspool of positive opinions. Asking, "Should I buy this game?" will typically result in "OMG YES," but it's really a good place to ask specific questions if you're on the fence. Then again, so are message boards like GAF.

I contrast this to games reviews where the homey can say, "FUCK THIS GAME 4/10," and people will look at the score and not buy the game. Again, I reference ZombiU.

EDIT: A bigger issue us ratings on the eShop. Pretty much every piece of software on the 3DS, at least, is rated 3.5 stars out of 5 (or higher)...

I like Miiverse for that reason. If you ask people what they think about so and so game, you'll get a bunch of different, justifiable views on them. Also you can tell who has and hasn't played the game, which really helps too.

Doombear

Just bought myself a pro controller in anticipation for Mh!

I would play the demo a handful of times with it. I was sure I would prefer it but I still am torn between it and the pad. Either way, I found it took a few fights to really grow accustomed to the button/stick layout.

I would play the demo a handful of times with it. I was sure I would prefer it but I still am torn between it and the pad. Either way, I found it took a few fights to really grow accustomed to the button/stick layout.

The buttons feel much more solid than the gamepad.
But I suppose I'm more accustomed to it since I try to play with it when I can. It's incredibly comfortable...

Meesh

Just bought myself a pro controller in anticipation for Mh!
A fine reason to pick up the pro controller too!! It may be just me, but wielding the game pad seemed...too awkward and disorienting for some strange reason. It could easily just be the spacing between my hands I guess... but in any case the new pro controllers are just plain super sweet hotness and way comfy :)

Haunted

Do we know how much faster the loading times are for the eshop version compared to the disc?

Will someone make that comparison when the NA version is out? I need to know to decide which one to get!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Do we know how much faster the loading times are for the eshop version compared to the disc?

Will someone make that comparison when the NA version is out? I need to know to decide which one to get!

There was a comparison in the other thread, also compared to SSD and HDD. Wound up:

SSD > internal Flash > HDD >>> disc

Doombear

I will make a more definite choice once I have a chance to play around with the gamepad screen options. A few of the placeable icons, like the combo list and quick items may be what sways me. I realize that I can play with the controller and have the pad nearby... but nearby will never be as close as in my hands. We shall see. Mainly this is all just my brain having nothing else (worthy) to think about until Tuesday.

Doombear

ah if I was not sold before I am now

I need to know the controls gonna watch a few more of these I wish the demo would let you explore more

how much can you carry?

You have 24 inventory slots on your character. Some items have limits though, 5 flash bombs max, 1 Shock/Pitfall trap max, 10 potions, etc. So you have to manage your inventory and bring only what you absolutely need. You also want to leave enough room for anything you carve/gather during the quest.

What banned site is that?

I just copied it and pasted the url and bing 'found' it.

wow I had no idea there was a difference
also how did the extrenal SSD still beat the internal storage?

This almost makes me want to invest in an expensive SSD

I dont care much.
Someone posted some rebuttal as to why I should care, Something like: if I were to spend 600 hours on the game 2 of those hours would be in load times. But it's so spread out, I really wouldnt think about it, or notice it.
I'm getting the disk version, by the way.

You have 24 inventory slots on your character. Some items have limits though, 5 flash bombs max, 1 Shock/Pitfall trap max, 10 potions, etc. So you have to manage your inventory and bring only what you absolutely need. You also want to leave enough room for anything you carve/gather during the quest.

I just copied it and pasted the url and bing 'found' it.

Whoops, it's a banned site. I didn't know it was banned here, I just stumbled upon it.
I didnt know either I just see all the *****

and thanks, Doombear

Doombear

Whoops, it's a banned site. I didn't know it was banned here, I just stumbled upon it.

Well I got as far as the word "plot" and stopped reading. Plot. Psh. Keep your fancy plot out of my Monster Hunter.

I dont care much.
Someone posted some rebuttal as to why I should care, Something like: if I were to spend 600 hours on the game 2 of those hours would be in load times. But it's so spread out, I really wouldnt think about it, or notice it.

I would love to have this on digital, but I grabbed the Amazon bundle deal. I do wonder though, how much those few seconds are going to matter to people when they are still waiting for their disc based teammates to load in and start the quest =P

"Download Only Elite Party Town!"

I dont care much.

I would worry more about my disk drive after 800 hours the Wii U is not very quiet but still I see the difference but not a big deal

I will be moving my most favorite games to internal and not my external HDD though good to know I think

I do wonder though, how much those few seconds are going to matter to people when they are still waiting for their disc based teammates to load in and start the quest =P

"Download Only Elite Party Town!"

I can't imagine anyone being that prejudice. Realistically, they would just run ahead. I could see it being more of a problem for those with the disk versions who have to catch up to the others who have run ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom