• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvingt2

they don't sell them because they are insanely overpowered. If a GS user could put a monster to sleep whenever he wanted...

so what exactly is the problem here? Sorry I'm not following you at all. If you want to make the high rank stuff nobody is stopping you. If that armor is what I think it is, it'll be a huge pain in the ass to make the G version but I don't have the guide here with me.

Also, early G rank before you get decent equipment is most likely going to be the hardest part of the game. I wouldn't underestimate it.

ok, sorry for the confusion..

How do most people feel about arenas?

Just distractions from the main quest of getting monster parts? Or really fun challenges that are well worth doing?

persongr

I think you don't really have to make a new set of armor for that fight, just make sure it's upgraded. Gigginox is one hell of an ugly beast, just bring lots of antidotes & use them until you learn his attacks.

In other news, I fought Nibelsnarf today for the first time, it was surprisingly easy. Also did a couple more lagi hunts to make the dual swords that involve his parts, they look pretty sexy!

They do look sexy, but they break too easily. I was spoiled by my Snow slicers. -_-

Anyone know how to get a voltstone? Wiki doesn't seem to know!

Mupod

Just distractions from the main quest of getting monster parts? Or really fun challenges that are well worth doing?

I don't care for them. Part of the fun of MH for me is using the equipment you gathered and crafted yourself.

I did like Kirin hammer training in MHFU though. It was fun learning timing to hit his horn, because it was a small Kirin and you could actually hit it.

Then you get to G rank and then
AAAAAAAAALWAYS I WANT TO BE WITH YOU

GIGAKIRIN.jpg

They do look sexy, but they break too easily. I was spoiled by my Snow slicers. -_-

Anyone know how to get a voltstone? Wiki doesn't seem to know!

I want to say that's Crimson Peco's equivalent of a flintstone. Not completely sure but try fighting him and breaking his flints.

Hoodbury

Farmed a bit of jhen online last night and it is way easier and quicker than it was before. We were killing it in about 15 minutes each fight. During the final showdown he wouldn't even make it close to the boat.

In 4 kills I got 5 elderdragon bloods and one gem so pretty good haul. I still like the fight, did it a ton on tri, so it was fun getting back into it. But dang was it quick and easy.

I played the hell out of Training School in MHFU (equivalent to Arena). I thought it was pretty fun practicing fighting certain monsters with certain weapons then trying to get the best times. It's where I learned how to aggrolance.

Mondriaan

They're fun challenges. Also, there is a whole page dedicated to this on a guild card, so it's nice to do to fill a card out.

The other thing is that there are arenas that accept 4 players, so it's a step up from Tri. There need to be way more 4 player arena quests, though.

I don't care for them. Part of the fun of MH for me is using the equipment you gathered and crafted yourself.

I did like Kirin hammer training in MHFU though. It was fun learning timing to hit his horn, because it was a small Kirin and you could actually hit it.

Then you get to G rank and then
AAAAAAAAALWAYS I WANT TO BE WITH YOU

GIGAKIRIN.jpg

I want to say that's Crimson Peco's equivalent of a flintstone. Not completely sure but try fighting him and breaking his flints.

Seeing these screenshots reminds of that the font in MH3U on 3DS is unbearably bad. It's totally unreadable most of the time.

Mondriaan

Seeing these screenshots reminds of that the font in MH3U on 3DS is unbearably bad. It's totally unreadable most of the time.
I never had trouble with the text in Monster Hunter games prior to Tri. Tri also had an unbelievably bad font and font size, but the font size was nowhere near as bad as it is on Tri Ultimate.

Haunted

I wish some of the more unique monsters from Freedom Unite would make a return. Kirin, Congalala, Bulldrome, the Hermitaurs... Even oversized regular monsters like the Vespoid Queen and King Shakalaka were fun and something different. Compared to that, it feels like a majority of Ultimate monsters are variations on dinosaurs/dragons. They're still cool, mind you, but I can't help but feel that earlier titles had a wider breadth of completely different species.

I think I like Volvidon and Azuros/Lagombi for that reason.

What are the monsters required for HR 2? I have diablos, snarf, and the lava one that starts with A.
I fear you need to go hunt yourself a Gigginox to move on to HR3. >_>

C.T.

Guys I'm a MonHun noob and started ultimate on 3ds. I have all jakki armors parts but the waist part because I can't get the Kings's Frills. I know I have to "break" his head but no luck with drops. Any advice?

Mupod

I wish some of the more unique monsters from Freedom Unite would make a return. Kirin, Congalala, Bulldrome, the Hermitaur... Even oversized regular monsters like the Vespoid Queen and King Shakalaka were fun and something different. Compared to that, it feels like a majority of Ultimate monsters are variations on dinosaurs/dragons. They're still cool, mind you, but I can't help but feel that earlier titles had a wider breadth of completely different species. :D

I think I like Volvidon and Azuros/Lagombi for that reason.

Conga is returning in 4.

Still don't understand why they left out the crabs in 3rd gen. They didn't have serious hitbox problems and were fun to fight. Plus they'd help with Tri's serious 'Dinosaur Hunter' problem of monster type variety. The fanged beasts were a step towards fixing this, as you say.

I personally want Rajang back. They could do so much cool stuff with him in terms of personality and animations. Also, the 3rd gen newbies need to have the fear of god put into them.

Guys I'm a MonHun noob and started ultimate on 3ds. I have all jakki armors parts but the waist part because I can't get the Kings's Frills. I know I have to "break" his head but no luck with drops. Any advice?

Make sure you're fighting him in a quest and not free hunt. Try capturing to increase the drop rate. And yes you do need to break it in the fight, but it's not a guaranteed drop.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Are you free hunting or doing the quest? If you free hunt, make sure you report your kills to the son in the village (you'll likely get your rewards from him that way). If you're doing the quests, it's mostly luck. As for breaking his head, depending on your weapon, it should be quite easy to break (but it doesn't sound like your problem is breaking it as much as it is getting it to appear as a reward).

Hoodbury

Make sure you keep doing it via the quest, not free hunt mode. I don't think you can carve it, it has to be a quest reward.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, it's a luck thing. You can tell the head is broken when the frill looks all torn and has little holes during the fight. There is usually a slight animation of the frill getting broken when you land the hit that does it, but on G. Jaggi it is really easy to break and often you'll do it without trying.

But the King's Frill is a percentage drop if you break his head. I think it's a 70% chance according to a guide I saw. It's not a guarantee if you break the head, just an opportunity for it to appear in the quest rewards if you do. I think the probability rises if you break the head and then capture the jaggi instead of kill it also.

Really though, don't sweat it, you fight tons of G. Jaggi in the early game. Tons. You'll get your frill if you just make sure to break the heads in each encounter.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Man I fell hard for this game. Don't have the slightest clue what the fuck I'm doing but I'm killing and mining and gathering like a mother. Potentially stupid question but is there a way to lock-on to an enemy during combat?

Twinduct

Man, the 3DS font really is terrible. After 15 hours or so I've gotten used to it but holy shit, who let this get through testing?

It's like reading something in the morning when I forget I don't have my glasses on :/

Quick question to anyone who has a CCPXL, does it make the device more ergonomic?
My thumbs is killing me :S

explodet

Man I fell hard for this game. Don't have the slightest clue what the fuck I'm doing but I'm killing and mining and gathering like a mother. Potentially stupid question but is there a way to lock-on to an enemy during combat?
That's the name of the game.

There's "Target Camera" - it doesn't lock onto the monster but it will center on it.

Mupod

You can activate a target camera which causes the L button to center on the selected large monster. Does not work on little shits like Jaggis. On 3DS you turn it on by pressing the little icon of the monster on the bottom screen (only works if you're in the same area and it's seen you). On Wii U I believe it defaults to ZR.

True lock on would not work for reasons that will become apparent once you start fighting things that have very few weak points and many parts that cause 'bouncing'.

What's the deal with Canteen quests?

They upgrade your ingredient 'star' level for food.

Hoodbury

What's the deal with Canteen quests?

Completing them upgrades your food from the cat grill. You'll notice stars by the ones that have been upgraded. So for instance if you upgrade the one that would normally give you +20 health, it will now give you +30 health. I have it two starred so now it gives me +40 health.

bitoriginal

It's like reading something in the morning when I forget I don't have my glasses on :/

Quick question to anyone who has a CCPXL, does it make the device more ergonomic?
My thumbs is killing me :S

Honestly, it makes holding the 3DS XL so much better. I've got big hands, and while it doesnt look amazing it makes playing for sustained periods much better. Worth getting if you don't mind spending the money.

Twinduct

Honestly, it makes holding the 3DS XL so much better. I've got big hands, and while it doesnt look amazing it makes playing for sustained periods much better. Worth getting if you don't mind spending the money.

Yeah I've got huge hands and I get constant cramps when using the X,A buttons :<
Thanks, hmm might jump on getting one soon.

Ghost23

I am now officially HR 3! Now it's time to upgrade. The best GS I have the option to forge is icefang. Now I just have no clue which armor set I want to build. At this point should I just go for what looks the coolest?

Hoodbury

Dumb me and a thing I didn't realize until last night (HR4) that you can scroll left or right when you eat food to see possible other cat skills. Totally forgot you could do that.

So maybe a helpful hint for others if you didn't already notice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am now officially HR 3! Now it's time to upgrade. The best GS I have the option to forge is icefang. Now I just have no clue which armor set I want to build. At this point should I just go for what looks the coolest?

If you don't care about skills, absolutely craft what looks cool! If you care about skills, look into what options you currently have available and build from there. It's so hard to suggest armor sets because everyone has different "things" they look for. But Attack and Crit Draw would be solid skills to look for.

Ghost23

If you don't care about skills, absolutely craft what looks cool! If you care about skills, look into what options you currently have available and build from there. It's so hard to suggest armor sets because everyone has different "things" they look for. But Attack and Crit Draw would be solid skills to look for.

I want to care about skills, but I'm honestly clueless what skills go well with GS. There are so many to choose from. Any suggestions?

So is anyone else chugging their way through offline, first?

It's what I did in Tri, and what I'm doing now. I just don't like the idea of it sitting there with a bunch of low rank content that I'd have to come back and do later.

Hoodbury

I want to care about skills, but I'm honestly clueless what skills go well with GS. There are so many to choose from. Any suggestions?

Attack up, crit draw, sharpness. Early on Attack up is the only one of those 3 you can get. You can gem up Ratholos to AuL too. So that's a good one, and it looks good too.

DoubleTap

Quick question to anyone who has a CCPXL, does it make the device more ergonomic?My thumbs is killing me :S

Hell yes! I'd keep it attached all the time if it kept the cart slot accessible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

It's what I did in Tri, and what I'm doing now. I just don't like the idea of it sitting there with a bunch of low rank content that I'd have to come back and do later.

Same. I want to get through at least the 5 star stuff before I fully jump into online. However I'm still playing some online quests here and there to make sure I don't fall behind on that, either (it helps that it's much quicker to go through the Tanzia quests, especially with four players.)

Mupod

Are pitfall traps just as effective for tranq bombing monsters as shock traps?

Yes. Stick with shock traps for capping if you can, since they work everywhere and are a lot easier to make (farm or buy thunderbugs half price from Granny in the marina) than going out and gathering your own spiderwebs.

Some monsters are immune to pitfalls as well. The downside of shock traps is that they don't last very long on some monsters, but that should not be an issue for capturing.

What does Crit Draw do?

Increases your weapon's affinity rating by 100% for unsheathe attacks (from sheathed press R+X). Since that is the attack you should be using almost all the time on a GS, it's very effective. Affinity is basically your 'critical' chance, which increases raw damage of that hit by 25% and is indicated by a bright flash. Weapons can have negative affinity though, which does the opposite (dark flash). As of Tri I believe critical draw only adds 100% so a weapon with -10% will only have a 90% chance to crit on an unsheathe attack, but that's still decent.

there's a punishing draw skill as well which gives your unsheathe attacks knockout properties, so you can KO monsters like a hammer. There is a faster sheathing skill as well but unsure what armor that's on.

Mupod

Actually come to think of it I'm not sure if there's monsters immune to pitfalls anymore. Narga used to avoid them unless he was raging, and I believe all burrowing monsters were immune. Is this still true? I swear I've been able to pitfall Diablos or maybe I'm just losing it in my old age.

rugioh

Banned
Actually come to think of it I'm not sure if there's monsters immune to pitfalls anymore. Narga used to avoid them unless he was raging, and I believe all burrowing monsters were immune. Is this still true? I swear I've been able to pitfall Diablos or maybe I'm just losing it in my old age.

whaaaat you can buy thunderbugs? I didn't know that... do they show up on the market occasionally or are they there all the time?

This is what I'm doing (only because I'm 3DS only though, so no MP for me), but I check in on the port quests to see if I can do some solo. Basically once the port quests are on par with or easier than what's available in the village I'll do those so I can keep up. I'm not there yet though - I am on the 3-star village quests, and after doing the port "tour" quests and a couple other port quests the stuff left on HR1 is harder than the 3-star village quests. Probably doable, but again I don't want to leave behind easier quests only to blow through them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom