• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

whaaaat you can buy thunderbugs? I didn't know that... do they show up on the market occasionally or are they there all the time?

Granny's inventory changes all the time. Sometimes she only has certain things, and sometimes she has everything half price. She hangs out in the Marina section of the port, go there by talking to Neko Means Cat.

Actually come to think of it I'm not sure if there's monsters immune to pitfalls anymore. Narga used to avoid them unless he was raging, and I believe all burrowing monsters were immune. Is this still true? I swear I've been able to pitfall Diablos or maybe I'm just losing it in my old age.

He can be put in a pitfall but not if he is coming from underground because he destroys it I think.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yes. Stick with shock traps for capping if you can, since they work everywhere and are a lot easier to make (farm or buy thunderbugs half price from Granny in the marina) than going out and gathering your own spiderwebs.

Some monsters are immune to pitfalls as well. The downside of shock traps is that they don't last very long on some monsters, but that should not be an issue for capturing.

That said, some monsters are immune to Shock Traps as well. There's one monster that escapes me right now that actually regains stamina if it gets caught in a Shock Trap.

Mupod

That said, some monsters are immune to Shock Traps as well. There's one monster that escapes me right now that actually regains stamina if it gets caught in a Shock Trap.

Zinogre. It charges him up, but it does still work on him.

I think it charges Lagi too.

Ghost23

Yes. Stick with shock traps for capping if you can, since they work everywhere and are a lot easier to make (farm or buy thunderbugs half price from Granny in the marina) than going out and gathering your own spiderwebs.

Some monsters are immune to pitfalls as well. The downside of shock traps is that they don't last very long on some monsters, but that should not be an issue for capturing.

Increases your weapon's affinity rating by 100% for unsheathe attacks (from sheathed press R+X). Since that is the attack you should be using almost all the time on a GS, it's very effective. Affinity is basically your 'critical' chance, which increases raw damage of that hit by 25% and is indicated by a bright flash. Weapons can have negative affinity though, which does the opposite (dark flash). As of Tri I believe critical draw only adds 100% so a weapon with -10% will only have a 90% chance to crit on an unsheathe attack, but that's still decent.

there's a punishing draw skill as well which gives your unsheathe attacks knockout properties, so you can KO monsters like a hammer. There is a faster sheathing skill as well but unsure what armor that's on.

That sounds awesome. Doesn't the Diablos armor have crit draw? Maybe I should make that instead of Rathalos for my GS.

Doorman

It's probably kind of sad that I'm honestly considering picking up the 3DS version of the game just so that I'm able to play while visiting my parents' house over Easter, haha. Saturday night without the option to hunt feels like it would be maddening.

Also, I take back what I said earlier about Duramboros being an interesting fight. He's an ass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That sounds awesome? Doesn't the Diablos armor have crit draw? Maybe I should make that instead of Rathalos for my GS.

Seems like Diablos X is the only armor that has +10 in Crit Draw out of the box.

Other armor that includes Crit Draw and their point totals: Artian X (4), Ingot X (2), Dober X (3), Grand Hyuga - Female (2), Bnahabra X (3), Brachydios X (3), Barioth X (4), Grand Yamoto - Male (2), Lagiacrus X (2), Rhenoplos X (3), and Rathalos X (2.)

Ghost23

Seems like Diablos X is the only armor that has +10 in Crit Draw out of the box.

Other armor that includes Crit Draw and their point totals: Artian X (4), Ingot X (2), Dober X (3), Grand Hyuga - Female (2), Bnahabra X (3), Brachydios X (3), Barioth X (4), Grand Yamoto - Male (2), Lagiacrus X (2), Rhenoplos X (3), and Rathalos X (2.)

What's the difference between Diablos armor and Diablos X armor?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish there was a Psychic Jewel 2 with 3 points, I can get up to 14 with my current slots but I need one more to have the monster displayed at all times. =/ Hate paintballs and maps taking up spaces in my inventory.

vareon

Just played like 4 hours straight, basically helping my friends to get their armor set. I'm just a few items away from Lagiacrus set.

And holy shit the game is contagious. My friends suddenly wants a 3DS now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm not sure I get the armor rankings. There's normal, S, V, X, and Z, which ranks do they correspond to?

What's the difference between Diablos armor and Diablos X armor?

Diablos
Stats:
Def: 24
Fi: 2
Wa: 0
Ice: -4
Li: 0
Dr: 0
Strng: A
Rare: 3

Skills:
Tremor Resistance: 10 (Active Skill: Tremor Resistance)
Expert: 10 (Active Skill: Critical Eye+1)
FastCharge: 10 (Active Skill: Focus)
Sharpener: -10 (Active Skill: Slow Sharpening)

Diablos X
Stats:
Def: 89
Fi: 4
Ice: -6
Rare: 8

Skills:
Crit Draw: 10 (Active Skill: Critical Draw)
Sheathing: 10 (Active Skill: Quick Sheath)
Handicraft: 4
Eating: 3
PunishDraw: 3
Fencing: 3

Ghost23

I'm not sure I get the armor rankings. There's normal, S, V, X, and Z, which ranks do they correspond to?

Diablos
Stats:
Def: 24
Fi: 2
Ice: -4
Rare: 3

Skills:
Expert: 10 (Active Skill: Critical Eye+1)
FastCharge: 10 (Active Skill: Focus)

Diablos X
Stats:
Def: 89
Fi: 4
Ice: -6
Rare: 8

Skills:
Crit Draw: 10 (Active Skill: Critical Draw)
Sheathing: 10 (Active Skill: Quick Sheath)
Handicraft: 4
Eating: 3
PunishDraw: 3
Fencing: 3

That's unfortunate. When do you unlock the X armors? I guess I'll stay with aiming for Rathalos armor.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That's unfortunate. When do you unlock the X armors? I guess I'll stay with aiming for Rathalos armor.

Actually I think it might correspond to the upgrade levels, maybe? Like if you upgrade it with armor spheres it might become X?

I don't know, haha. Don't listen to me, just thinking out loud. :p

Chaos

Guys I'm a MonHun noob and started ultimate on 3ds. I have all jakki armors parts but the waist part because I can't get the Kings's Frills. I know I have to "break" his head but no luck with drops. Any advice?

I got mine by re doing the Great Jaggi capture quest.

Ghost23

Actually I think it might correspond to the upgrade levels, maybe? Like if you upgrade it with armor spheres it might become X?

I don't know, haha. Don't listen to me, just thinking out loud. :p

Can someone back this up? If I can upgrade the basic Diablos armor to X rank or if it is a totally different set.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
S and V armor sets are High rank. I think X and Z are G rank. Also, V and Z are subspecies armor sets.

Ah I see. And it is "U", but the guide makes it look like a "V." :p

Can someone back this up? If I can upgrade the basic Diablos armor to X rank or if it is a totally different set.

Sorry, seems like it's different. :(

Ghost23

Ah I see. And it is "U", but the guide makes it look like a "V." :p

Sorry, seems like it's different. :(

Oh well, Rathalos armor looks cooler anyway. When can I fight Rathalos in Moga Village? I haven't had a queat with him yet.

Sorry about all of these questions! I really should just buy a guide. All the different versions of monster hunter make the info confusing as hell.

Beats

Oh well, Rathalos armor looks cooler anyway. When can I fight Rathalos in Moga Village? I haven't had a queat with him yet.

Sorry about all of these questions! I really should just buy a guide. All the different versions of monster hunter make the info confusing as hell.

You can fight Rathalos when you get to the 5 star quests in the village.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Kinda wish that this game had a weapon master of sorts in Mogi town to help train how best to utilize your weapons. Had no idea how the combo chain worked with my longsword until I saw some youtube video and the in-game "Hunter's notes" in the pause menu does not at all describe it(just basic button functions). Just a training dummy and a simple explanation tutorial on how the advanced functons of each weapon works would go a LONG way to getting newcomers more in-tune with combat.

I can't fathom how many dual blades users have no idea how demon gauge works, or again that the long sword can be buffed three levels with its special gauge based on landing its charge combos.

Also, why aren't the elemental properties of Long swords listed on the crafting menu? When I agonized over choosing between chainblade and Wroggi sword last night, I was shocked to discover that each had hidden elemental attributes when comparing each on gfaqs(Lit vs. Poison). What the hell?? Other weapons show elemental properties.

currently hunting with a guy wielding sword and shield

more rare than a carpenter bug

I've been doing it quite often, got some good elemental ones.

It's a great weapon. Everyone kind of discounts it and considers it noobish but it is just a good solid choice. The jump slash combo feels great to pull off.

Doorman

Also, why aren't the elemental properties of Long swords listed on the crafting menu? When I agonized over choosing between chainblade and Wroggi sword last night, I was shocked to discover that each had hidden elemental attributes when comparing each on gfaqs(Lit vs. Poison). What the hell?? Other weapons show elemental properties.
What you probably saw on the gfaqs guides were weapons with latent elements. There's a skill called Awakening that brings out elemental attributes to weapons that normally don't have them. Plenty of longswords have default elements too.

Kuntz

Nobody in EU so I'll just try to advance solo play a little.

Checking GAF every other quest if someone want to HR1/2 just say it.

Anyone have an armor suggestion for an archer? I want to make high rank armor that supports my bow but the skills I'm seeing support gunners. Fast charge would be good but the 3 sets available to me that have it are... well I don't want to look like an iron teddy bear, vampire cosplayer, or the Pumpkin Queen for some small town harvest festival.

The bow feels really neglected in the support skills department. Any suggestions?

currently hunting with a guy wielding sword and shield

more rare than a carpenter bug

SnS is a pretty good weapon. If you pick the right one for the best monster, it can be a great advantage. I used to take down Barioths with a SnS, because it gave me great mobility and it had good strength mixed with tons of Fire elemental damage.

Doorman

I'm debating whether I should put the time in to farm up another low-rank armor set before stepping into the high rank missions. Rolling Qurupeco for my horns and Barroth for basically everything else, and I'm not sure if I'd be better off getting myself some Barioth armor, or just start by crafting up some sort of early high rank set. No idea yet what worthwhile skills there are to be had in that, though.

Satch

Banned
omg ive been trying to get somebody to help me rank up to hr3 on my urgent for so long, and i finally found a group to help

it was me, SnS guy, and DS dude, VS Rathalos and Rathian and the fight was getting so long, just about twenty minutes

we had them both limping, and they went to area 8 to sleep, and after waking them up, i managed to kill Rathian

DS dude only had a sliver of health left but was managing some great dodging (he ran out of pots), and SnS guy had already died twice so it was all or nothing

THEN RATHALOS WENT APESHIT AND KILLED DS DUDE

I THINK I'M GONNA CRY ;___;

I WANT OUT OF THIS HR2 GHETTO ;__________;

Ghost23

omg ive been trying to get somebody to help me rank up to hr3 on my urgent for so long, and i finally found a group to help

it was me, SnS guy, and DS dude, VS Rathalos and Rathian and the fight was getting so long, just about twenty minutes

we had them both limping, and they went to area 8 to sleep, and after waking them up, i managed to kill Rathian

DS dude only had a sliver of health left but was managing some great dodging (he ran out of pots), and SnS guy had already died twice so it was all or nothing

Use dung bombs on Rathalos so you can fight Rathian alone. That makes it pretty easy.

Camjo-Z

Health Horn is your friend, and everybody else's friend too!

Hoodbury

To make things a bit easier bring some dung bombs and keep them separated. It's more fun to fight them in the same area together, but it can be the cause of some accidental deaths, lol. If you're just ready to be done with it, bring the dung and keep them separated and kill them one at a time.

Mondriaan

Anyone have an armor suggestion for an archer? I want to make high rank armor that supports my bow but the skills I'm seeing support gunners. Fast charge would be good but the 3 sets available to me that have it are... well I don't want to look like an iron teddy bear, vampire cosplayer, or the Pumpkin Queen for some small town harvest festival.

The bow feels really neglected in the support skills department. Any suggestions?

Look for something with Loading/Load up. Looks like Ceadeus and Jho armors, though.

Hoodbury

Are they the weak versions or something? It made it sound like you fight 3 at once? I haven't booted them up yet, but I was going to give it a go.

No they're super wimpy. I did the Uru one last night hoping to get some parts but you kill them too fast to break any parts so you can't get any good rewards. You don't fight them at the same time, kill one then the next one spawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom