• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone looking to go online? I'm HR3 but willing to do HR1-2 stuff as well. NA.

I'm looking to kill a bunch of Rathians, Volvidons, Nibelsnarfs to get their sets, but other assorted whatevers. I need gear for anything. You down? I'll make a game, World 3, Lobby 9, Gaf Name, Regular Pass.

Abandond

Ok so I need some help or something, bow feel so crazy weak. Like, it takes 1/3rd of the time to kill something with a switch axe while also using much less stamina.

I upgraded my bow and it still feels pretty weak. Anything I can do to improve the damage? I also got my Jaggi set recently.

bitoriginal

Guide sez...

Recommended Skills + Armor: Dual Blade
Marathon Runner (Ludroth, Plesioth)
Stam Recov Up (Nargacuga Z, Lagombi X)
Item Effect Up (Lagombi S, Rath Heart Z)
Earplugs/HG Earplugs (Gigginox, Rath Soul)
Trap Master (Plesioth, Hunter S)

So it seems like Ludroth, Plesioth, or Rathian would be OK. You might also want to look into Wroggi armor, which has Razor Sharp (blades will dull half as fast) and is immune to poison.

Cheers dude, that's awesome. Gives me some goals to work for!

Prade

Cheers dude, that's awesome. Gives me some goals to work for!

Gonna admit, a lot of those sets seem very supportive. I look at the DS like the Sns, in that it should be paired with elemental damage. Rathian gives you fire attack up +1 which'll be a godsend for fighting A LOT of monsters.

Satch

Banned
Long Sword randoms are making me rage today. Always coming over my back when I'm attacking the head, trying for the KO. Seems like all Long Sword users like this are using Brachy armour too. Argrhr.

it really is frustrating

i've had to hug the head with a few other horns/hammers and that's difficult enough, but when you start adding in long swords everything gets really dicey

Ghost23

Its stupid how much health duramboros has. It took me 40 minutes and I ran out of tries. But I can't upgrade anything until I beat him. Screw this game I'm not wasting my time fighting him again.

Mondriaan

Ok so I need some help or something, bow feel so crazy weak. Like, it takes 1/3rd of the time to kill something with a switch axe while also using much less stamina.

I upgraded my bow and it still feels pretty weak. Anything I can do to improve the damage? I also got my Jaggi set recently.

You should try doing the lambo arena quest with the bow with the goal that you will try to beat your best time. The quest costs nothing if you fail and doesn't allow any more than one player.

The basic idea here is to experiment with your attacks (the different charge levels and your distance to the enemy) and see what helps cut down on your time to completion.

bitoriginal

Gonna admit, a lot of those sets seem very supportive. I look at the DS like the Sns, in that it should be paired with elemental damage. Rathian gives you fire attack up +1 which'll be a godsend for fighting A LOT of monsters.

Yeah, I've been playing solo alot so offensive skills are pretty important to me. It's nice to start looking at a pool of applicable skills and potential armours to shoot for though.

In terms of elemental damage, how does that work with weapons? I was checking out the insecticutters which do 50 dragon damage apparently.

Prade

Yeah, I've been playing solo alot so offensive skills are pretty important to me. It's nice to start looking at a pool of applicable skills and potential armours to shoot for though.

In terms of elemental damage, how does that work with weapons? I was checking out the insecticutters which do 50 dragon damage apparently.

Hmm, you know what? Dualies don't even get fire element til Agnaktor or Rathalos. Might as well skip Ian armor then. I don't know specific numbers when it comes to the elemetal damage calculator. I just know the very basic weaknesses that monsters have.

Since no-one knows what the fuck im talking about in this lobby please help me out.

Ive got a few basic vouchers, I was wondering what vouchers can be used for. Reason I ask is, back in the original ps2 monster hunter online, if you spoke to the cat in the hotel after every quest, you'd eventually get silver and gold vouchers. Gold vouchers being used to make the best weapons in the game, you only got allocated so many gold vouchers so you couldn't have them all.

still space?

Lucid theres one space now.

Prade

Since no-one knows what the fuck im talking about in this lobby please help me out.

Ive got a few basic vouchers, I was wondering what vouchers can be used for. Reason I ask is, back in the original ps2 monster hunter online, if you spoke to the cat in the hotel after every quest, you'd eventually get silver and gold vouchers. Gold vouchers being used to make the best weapons in the game, you only got allocated so many gold vouchers so you couldn't have them all.

You use them when you sit down to eat. They can feed everyone.

DaBoss

Vouchers make all food in the cafe fresh.

Abandond

You should try doing the lambo arena quest with the bow with the goal that you will try to beat your best time. The quest costs nothing if you fail and doesn't allow any more than one player.

The basic idea here is to experiment with your attacks (the different charge levels and your distance to the enemy) and see what helps cut down on your time to completion.

Good idea, I'll give that a go.

Maybe bow will get better once it has some elemental damage and I can use arrows that aren't paint/melee range enhancers or whatever.

I could also stock up on some power coating arrows.

King_Moc

Banned
Its stupid how much health duramboros has. It took me 40 minutes and I ran out of tries. But I can't upgrade anything until I beat him. Screw this game I'm not wasting my time fighting him again.

Noooooooooooo :(. Just an FYI, his legs are his weakest point.

His back is weakest, you just have to knock him over to hit it. Don't bother with his head unless you want the horn - it does almost nothing.

Proven

Upgrade your weapons some. I first fought him solo with an upgraded Rathian Bow, and got him to limping after ~20 minutes. The guy does have enough health that bringing some extra prep would help (traps/sleep + bombs, poison and paralyze, etc.).

OrigiNull

it really is frustrating

i've had to hug the head with a few other horns/hammers and that's difficult enough, but when you start adding in long swords everything gets really dicey

So this is my first MH and I happened to chose the LS. I haven't played much online but I usually get behind the monster and stab from the back... what would you say is acceptable behavior for LS players just so I know what I should be doing moving forward?

Mupod

It'll only work on the upswing unsheath attack. Critical Draw is best for GS.

Are you sure? Critical draw used to work for both hits of the super pound if you went into it from sheathed. It even worked for the spin too, can't remember if the golfswing afterwards would be critical though.

I don't have a crit draw set of my own to test it in 3U but I will when I get the chance.

Prade

So this is my first MH and I happened to chose the LS. I haven't played much online but I usually get behind the monster and stab from the back... what would you say is acceptable behavior for LS players just so I know what I should be doing moving forward?

Just be considerate. You'll want to play around your teamates. If you see you're knocking people down, re position yourself, don't just keep spamming. That's pretty much it.

ChaosXVI

So this my very first time every playing a MH game, I decided to check out the demo to see what the hype is all about...I went on easy, against the bunny-bear thing. And I don't get it...The game seems really clunky, with terrible controls. I chose the great sword, and it takes for-fucking-ever for it to hit anything. and my character is really, really slow, is there a run button of any kind? Because I can't find it...

I'm really not understanding where all the love of this game comes from.

Hiltz

It looks like UK gamers are picking up some more Wii U's with Monster Hunter. According to MCV Magazine, Wii U sales increased by nearly 125% last week primarily due to the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD and HMV price cut for Wii U deluxe model. The game ranked 7th place last week according to UKIE data with 45% coming from the Wii U version of the game, and accounts for nearly 50% of total Wii U software sales.

I sure hope the game actually sold well (despite still being niche) given how poor hardware and software sales have been so far this year.

OrigiNull

So this my very first time every playing a MH game, I decided to check out the demo to see what the hype is all about...I went on easy, against the bunny-bear thing. And I don't get it...The game seems really clunky, with terrible controls. I chose the great sword, and it takes for-fucking-ever for it to hit anything. and my character is really, really slow, is there a run button of any kind? Because I can't find it...

I am also new and thought the same thing when I played with the GS. I guess you are supposed to keep it on your back most of the time until you are ready to land a couple hits then put it back on your back.

I would recommend checking out the sword and shield, dual swords or maybe even long sword to give you much more mobility until you get a better feel for the controls.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Honestly, it's not for everyone. The controls and animation based combat are PERFECT for the series and the aim of it. But for those who prefer fast paced God of War/DmC/Ninja Gaiden style combat, this game is a terrible experience. You probably just aren't the type to enjoy this style of game is all.

E: Also, yeah - try out a few other weapons before you completely disregard it.

Haunted

The run button is R with your weapon sheathed. Try the Sword and Shield, Dual Blades or Longsword for faster movement and agility, the Great Sword is pretty much the slowest weapon in the game. :)

DoubleTap

I really want a WiiU for big screen hunting and maybe some online but it's just too damn expensive for an impulse buy. I only planned on going 3DS solo but I'm seriously addicted to it now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Don't do the spirit combo (mash R with the spirit bar full) when there's players around you. Otherwise just be cautious of your wider attacks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The love of this game comes from it requiring skill of the player.

Also, the Great Sword is easily the slowest weapon (probably a beginner's trap since to most people it "looks coolest.") Go with Dual Swords, Sword and Shield, or Longsword and you'll be faster.

Otherwise there isn't much to say. This isn't Devil May Cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom