• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

profit

I'm most likely going to get this later today, pretty stoked. I'll get it on 3DS; how are the owners of that version liking it? I cant afford a WiiU right now but I'll get one in the future, should I wait or just go for the 3DS version?
Pretty bumbed there is no actual online for it though....

I'm most likely going to get this later today, pretty stoked. I'll get it on 3DS; how are the owners of that version liking it? I cant afford a WiiU right now but I'll get one in the future, should I wait or just go for the 3DS version?

If you don't mind the lack of online play, it's really enjoyable.

ramyeon

Wow, completed Rath Soul Z set in like 5 hunts. Fastest set I've ever completed probably.

Really? The GamePad works just fine for me. Only thing I might change is for the touch screen icons to take up the whole screen, so I could have "target monster" closer to my thumb. Also, aren't all the button and stick layouts exactly the same on the pro controller?
You can use the second right trigger to target the monster, I almost never use the touch screen for that. Only the map.

profit

If you don't mind the lack of online play, it's really enjoyable.

Well, it will be my first MH game, so I dont really know what to expect. I'd imagine doing hunts with other people can be quite fun, but I was thinking if this is my first MH game, maybe it wont be so bad since I'll have to learn everything anyway and since I'll most certainly buy a WiiU in the future and still like the game, I can buy it there.
I'm just looking for a good fun "grind" game that I can take with me and play on the couch next to my girlfriend so she doesnt complain that I spend too much time on the computer ^^.

Ohnonono

It is fantastic on the 3DS, I would recommend the circle pad pro thingy. Honestly as fun as online can be in MH solo stuff is really great. Most of the challenge in the game comes from soloing really hard stuff and finding ways to do that. All of the weapons are great solo and it will help you learn to play the game really well.

I'm having a blast with the 3DS version. Not sure if I'd enjoy it as much without my girl who plays local co-op with me though, but I did buy it and THEN she saw it and bought it so I was playing by myself for a bit.

I would still think I would enjoy it. The game is fun but hunting with somebody is great. It's kind of like playing Borderlands or even an MMO like WoW. Yes, it is fun solo and many people play like that but it becomes 'great' when you play with others.

Plus, I'd think there would be some type of hack on the PC to allow users to play online with the 3DS, kind of like how we use to play Halo online back in the day through the PC ... maybe. Not sure if it's possible.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, it will be my first MH game, so I dont really know what to expect. I'd imagine doing hunts with other people can be quite fun, but I was thinking if this is my first MH game, maybe it wont be so bad since I'll have to learn everything anyway and since I'll most certainly buy a WiiU in the future and still like the game, I can buy it there.
I'm just looking for a good fun "grind" game that I can take with me and play on the couch next to my girlfriend so she doesnt complain that I spend too much time on the computer ^^.

One thing to note is that you get little companions that help you out. I mean, they aren't as beneficial as true online folks, but they will go as far as to break you out of mud status, smack you to wake you up, and help distract the monster. While they don't do much damage, they will help to some degree in other things.

That being said, I have a Wii U and still haven't booted into online play yet. I'm finding the portable option to be FANTASTIC. I'll probably tunnel in at some point soon, but the solo hunting is a lot of fun. Not only can you go at your own pace, but it REALLY teaches you the game. Online is, in my opinion, a bit of a crutch for learning. It helps you get your weapons and armor upgraded significantly faster than you could do it on your own. And while gear is no substitute for skill, the difference in damage output and damage mitigation earned from weapons and armor will give you a huge edge in a fight. Learning to take a monster down in the "appropriate level" gear is a big step towards becoming an all-around better player (which translates to significantly stronger online play).

So, solo on your 3DS? Worth every penny.

DaBoss

I am a owner of the 3DS version and have been enjoying it a lot. Playing it with out a circle pad is fairly easy for me. I'm pretty far into the game's village quests, and it was all manageable.

I am a owner of the 3DS version and have been enjoying it a lot. Playing it with out a circle pad is fairly easy for me. I'm pretty far into the game's village quests, and it was all manageable.

The only thing where the CPP will really help that I can tell, is with strafing and gun-type weapons.

My girl is playing without it right now but ended up importing one (should be here in a couple weeks) after trying out some different weapons.

And underwater, it really helps underwater.

If you have an extra $30 I'd highly recommend it. Once the battles start getting a little hairy, it really comes in handy to flip around and look at stuff and get your bearings. We fought a pretty tough monster yesterday and she had some issues with orienting the camera while trying to use items at the same time. For me (with the CPP) I took away the virtual D-pad and have my items easily accessible there with the item bag, so I can open it up, and still move around with my camera with the second stick.

It's worth every penny if you ask me. It is possible to play without of course, but I don't see a reason not to spend $30 on something that makes the game so much more enjoyable. Especially when I'm going to dump 100's of hours into it.

profit

Allright, you guys convinced me, in an hour or two I'll be € 40 poorer!

Oh and I have the CCP for my OG 3DS so I can always try and see if it plays better.
Really looking forward to playing this and you'll see me a lot more in this thread with stupid questions.

Allright, you guys convinced me, in an hour or two I'll be € 40 poorer!

Oh and I have the CCP for my OG 3DS so I can always try and see if it plays better.
Really looking forward to playing this and you'll see me a lot more in this thread with stupid questions.

First one would be OMG what's with the size of the text in this game =P

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interestingly enough, as much as I thought I'd never get used to water without a CPPXL, I've found the target camera makes it super manageable. There's a few times where I've fought the camera over the monster, but as I get used to it, I find that I can overcome any issues with a quick tap of L and a dodge.

I am playing this online with my friend this weekend, and I had a question about voice chat.

Does the voice work through the Gamepad? Can I put headphones on and hear the voice chat through those, but keep all of the normal sound on my TV speakers?

I've been really addicted but I've hit a point where unless I'm misunderstanding I have to play multi to upgrade my hammer. It's really killed my buzz when I read I couldn't get monster bone + without hitting the multiplayer missions.

TheExodu5

Banned
Started getting a pixel that was flashing colors during loading screens yesterday. It started flashing during gameplay as well now. Looks like my Wii U is dying, sigh.

profit

I've been really addicted but I've hit a point where unless I'm misunderstanding I have to play multi to upgrade my hammer. It's really killed my buzz when I read I couldn't get monster bone + without hitting the multiplayer missions.

What? Oh man I hope you are misunderstanding....

Volcynika

I am playing this online with my friend this weekend, and I had a question about voice chat.

Does the voice work through the Gamepad? Can I put headphones on and hear the voice chat through those, but keep all of the normal sound on my TV speakers?

Yes. Haven't tried headphones yet myself. But TV sound comes out of the TV and only voice chat out of the gamepad.

emb

I think what you were reading was reference material from Tri. I keep getting Monster Bone+ from just the first couple Lagiacrus fights in the viallage.

Plus, the way the local multiplayer is set up now, I think you can always go solo it if you're up for that.

I think what you were reading was reference material from Tri. I keep getting Monster Bone+ from just the first couple Lagiacrus fights in the viallage.

Plus, the way the local multiplayer is set up now, I think you can always go solo it if you're up for that.
If that's the case then the info I read must've been old. Will push past Gobul and get to Lagia as quick as I can - thought I was screwed!

profit

Thanks for the info, I was getting scared even though I have no idea what any of that means.

DaBoss

WOO! Gonna face Zinogre, finally! Rathalos armor am cry -10 TH resistance.

Also, Duramboros is so much easier in high-rank. Maybe it was the Slime element.

Ohnonono

Thanks for the info, I was getting scared even though I have no idea what any of that means.

You can for sure solo everything. Only skill and gear will keep you from the hardest stuff. You can find vids of people soloing stuff too. It can really help you with new ideas for how to do more damage to stuff quicker. Also no question is stupid when this game tells you jack shit that you need to know. Looking at weapon tutorials online is a great idea in order to learn the various play styles.

Doorman

That's actually the exact set-up that I use, headphones on the pad for voice chat (using the gamepad mic) with the rest of the game audio on the TV. It works out really well for that.

Monster huntin by the sea.
1364550475_zpsaf7ed573.jpg

profit

Don't worry. I've reached the High Rank solo quests (Moga Village) and haven't reached the point where I'm forced to go multi (which from my understanding will come at the end though).

Are you playing on 3DS or WiiU? Cause I'll be getting it on 3DS, so online is not an option for me.

Ohnonono

Are you playing on 3DS or WiiU? Cause I'll be getting it on 3DS, so online is not an option for me.

Fear not my friend, everything is solo-able, you will not hit a point where the game demands multiplayer. Just a point where it would make things way easier.

DaBoss

This is how it works.

There are 2 kinds of quests. Village Quests (this is basically single-player) and Port Tanzia Quests (these are basically harder quests and can be done solo or multiplayer).

You can access Low-Rank quests and High-Rank quests in the Village. You can access Low-Rank, High-Rank, and G-Rank (the hardest rank) quests in Port Tanzia. You are not locked out if you can't do multiplayer, everything is solo-able. :)

Ghost23

This is how it works.

There are 2 kinds of quests. Village Quests (this is basically single-player) and Port Tanzia Quests (these are basically harder quests and can be done solo or multiplayer).

You can access Low-Rank quests and High-Rank quests in the Village. You can access Low-Rank, High-Rank, and G-Rank (the hardest rank) quests in Port Tanzia. You are not locked out if you can't do multiplayer, everything is solo-able. :)

So if you choose Solo Port Tanzia when you speak to Neko, are those easier and meant for one person? Can you rank up in HR solo?

profit

This is how it works.

Thanks for the info!
Do the monsters scale to the amount of people that are playing in your group, like Diablo? Or do monsters just go down faster because more people are doing damage to it?
I keep thinking in my head its like diablo with the loot and difficulty (scales to your party); but I could be wrong. As I said I know very little of MH but the gameplay really interests me.

vareon

Dammit, another solo Lagiacrus run without horn. My plan is to capture it but failed. Might need a help from my friends tomorrow. Damn 3DS with no online :<

Napophis

Anyone experience any bugs with quest? Doing the rank 3 quest 'The Deadliest Catch' but can't seem to find the lasr Ludroth to kill, been to every zone like 3 times now

edit- literally found the last one in the next zone after posting this ><

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the slime element? It seems kinda OP, especially if more than two people bring a slime weapon. Boss gets bombed every 30seconds.

Prade

Getting upswinged out of a gs charge(thanks to another great sword bro) is the worst. Happened 3 times, the third time, I abandoned the quest.

Hoodbury

Dammit, another solo Lagiacrus run without horn. My plan is to capture it but failed. Might need a help from my friends tomorrow. Damn 3DS with no online :<

Use a pitfall trap when he is drooling on land. You'll have plenty of time to hit his head then to break the horns.

Prade

Hopefully it was with randoms and not gaffers.

Yeah, was randoms. I wasn't even mad, nor irritated. just felt like that was the most appropriate thing to get back at him, lol. Was a Jho quest btw. We already had 2 deaths to work with, and clearly I was the best DPSer on the team(was playing with 2 Snsers and the infinite combo Gser..), so I figured they were screwed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey guys, do you know how to get Brother Flames dual blades?

Bone Scythes
Bone x2, Bird Wyvern Fang x3

&#8595;

Bone Scythes+
Bird Wyvern Fang x5, Bone x4

&#8595;

Chief's Scythes
Jumbo Bone x3, Sharpened Fang x4, Carpenter Bug x1

&#8595;

Ludroth Pair
Spongy Hide x2, Immature Sponge x4, Bone x6, Aqua Sac x2

&#8595;

Blood Wings
Gigginox Hide x2, Uncanny Hide x2, Venom Gland x2, Monster Bone L x4

&#8595;

Brother Flames
Rathalos Scale x4, Rathian Scale x4, Rathalos Webbing x2, Rathian Webbing x2

Or you can make them straight up:

Brother Flames (Buy)
Rathalos Scale x6, Rathian Scale x6, Rath Marrow x2, Flame Sac x8

depward

I love this game. And I love having the ability to transfer my save between using an HD machine with pretty graphics & online or taking advantage of the portability aspect of the 3DS.

That is all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They do look sexy, but they break too easily. I was spoiled by my Snow slicers. -_-

Anyone know how to get a voltstone? Wiki doesn't seem to know!

Guide sez...

Voltstone
Crimson Qurupeco High Rank: Break Part - Voltstone (60%)
Crimson Qurupeco High Rank: Capture (21%)

High Voltstone
Crimson Qurupeco G Rank: Break Part - Voltstone (60%)
Crimson Qurupeco G Rank: Capture (21%)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom